Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:51 am 

when i first saw weasle and it clawed into my brain and now don't even try to get it out

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:03 pm 

"Absolutely Free" in 1968

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:31 pm 

In 1968 I heard "Absolutely Free" and I was hooked.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:58 am 

First heard FZ in Summer 1968. Been listening ever since.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:03 am 

In 1966, while in the Navy, I was stationed in DC. One of the mates there turned me onto "Freak Out", and it's been all uphill from there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:21 pm 

my best friend in junior high used to (badly) sing parts of Joes Garage in PE class (1981). Then we would listen to his older brothers copies of that and You are what you is while his brother was at work. before that i had only heard i dont want to get drafted the one time they played it on the radio in Tampa. The MTV concert totally hooked me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:10 pm 

74-75. i went with a friend to someone's house that i barely knew. the guy put on side one of weasels, and was talking about how much he liked "the hot rats album". i was hooked.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:26 am 

1978 - heard the Overnite Sensation album.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:36 pm 

never hears of him till a few of my girlfriends and i ran across by accident a few months ago the movie 200 motels on netflix and knowing nothing about the movie or Frank Zappa we were astounded and thought it was ah, who to say, what to say, very interesting in a sick way sort of way. been listening on utube.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:00 pm 

Little_Sally wrote:
never hears of him till a few of my girlfriends and i ran across by accident a few months ago the movie 200 motels on netflix and knowing nothing about the movie or Frank Zappa we were astounded and thought it was ah, who to say, what to say, very interesting in a sick way sort of way. been listening on utube.

Find the *One Size Fits All* whole album.I think you'll like it.Try looking on Youtube,I don't know what utube is.

Me? FZ? Summer of Love '67 in the SF bay area. I was swimming against the current,and took alot a crap for it,but I know what I like.By '75 and disco,most of my friends had grown up some and liked the Hot Rats album,Mothers Live '71 and he got more popular with my friends after One Size Fits All.He seemed to be hitting his stride and out came Overnight Sensation, Apostrophy,Shiek Yerbouti and Joe's Garage to name a few.
One of my favorites is The Grand Wazoo. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:06 pm 

Zoot Allures Christmas 1976. My older brother brought it home. I loved it straight away especially the line about "losing control of my body functions on the roller headed ladies front lawn" in "Wonderful Wino". I confiscated it from my brother and have been on board ever since.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:16 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Zoot Allures Christmas 1976. My older brother brought it home. I loved it straight away especially the line about "losing control of my body functions on the roller headed ladies front lawn" in "Wonderful Wino". I confiscated it from my brother and have been on board ever since.

Just went and checked out Zoot Allures on utube and wow what fun, that low voice turned on young girls, YES ? ms pinkii was a hoot!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:09 pm 

Dummy Up, Dummy!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:19 pm 

Yesterday, all over again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:19 am 

When I heard Freak Out! in early 2000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:51 am 

Hi,

I already had the respect for his musicianship even though I had not heard a lot of things at all ... but I trusted the Germans giving him some credit, and John Lennon ... even though at the time I was not sure what it meant.

In 1972 I got a group called "Babe Ruth" that had a killer version of King Kong and I immediately went out and got the Frank Zappa album and it was the start of his stuff for me.

Unlike most "fans", I appreciate his odd stuff a lot more than I do his radio-ready stuff. Most folks seem to come from the OvernightSensation/Apostrophe era, but the fact of the matter is that Frank was around 10 years before that and we did not go back and listen to that stuff ... and how important that stuff was in helping music all over get around and develop.

The only folks openly talking about Frank and his work, were the Germans in the so-called "Krautrock" scene, which was an idea that was based on refusing to use western concepts in music, and Frank, while not stating so, was pretty much throwing those into the mixer anyway ... but it was his apparentl reckless and healthy disrespect for radio and tradition, that brought the best out of him as a satirist of sorts.

Later, he became a joke, and by the time you get the Enema Bandit ... I really thought that he had lost it, but the music was still good ... though not as much fun to listen to as other things. I much prefer his period in the late 60's when his work was at its most important and valuable ... that most folks can not deal with ... and things like 200 Motels are so far ahead of its time and place ... that people still can not sit and watch it and appreciate it, 40 years later!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:38 pm 

BBP wrote:

Thats the year my consciousness woke up :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:48 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:47 pm 

I discovered Zappa via working at a collage radio station in 1994. I started collecting the early mothers albums (Freak Out - Uncle Meat), but the day I rented the video tape of "Baby Snakes" at an underground cult video store, that truly changed my life. It's weirdness solidified my loyalty and passion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:12 pm 

1967. I was only 13 and wanted to nasty....all night long! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:15 pm 

summer of 1968.
got WOIIFTM in a trade.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:06 am 

Summer of 1979

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 am 

I heard Cosmic Debris on the radio (Alan Freeman Show). I remember thinking it sounded different to everything else I was hearing. It doesn't sound "different" now, but it did back then.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:22 pm 

Somewhere during the fall/winter of my junior year in H.S. There was a guy on our swim team who would always bring his boombox and one of three or four different Zappa mix tapes that had been handed down to him by his older brother. I became a fan and by summer break and I fthen acquired vinyl copies of Sheik Yerbouti and Apostrophe...it grew into a huge pile of Zappa recordings, over the years, from there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:44 am 

I hung around with the cooler older guys at a youth club and they were talking about One Size Fits All and how Zappa was a genius.
I went out to my local record store and bought it without hearing it first.
My first dose of Zappa was Inca Roads. Never looked back since then. :D :D :D