Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:58 am 

Quote:
Tattoos are no better nor worse than facebook/twitter...just another waste of time for the robots who become part of the collective in their effort to 'stand out'.

Except that Facebook/Twitter have not yet got round to physically sticking needles into your body. Mind you, if they could and thought they could make some money out of it, I'm sure they would.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:05 am 

Tattoo's make it real easy for big brother and the police to identify you.Once it's on your record it's there permenetly.Just like the Tattoo!

Food for thought. :|

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:12 am 

Ya all need to relax... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:44 am 

Relax. Here comes the icepick to the forehead. I'll give you a tattoo, bitch.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:50 am 

Pope Jim wrote:
Relax. Here comes the icepick to the forehead. I'll give you a tattoo, bitch.

LMAO! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:26 pm 

It's a great Who song, though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:19 am 

Today at Shopper's Corner, I saw a middle-aged slacker wearing unfortunate bicycle shorts. He was covered with tattoos.

Including, it turns out, his bald spot. As I was standing behind him at the butcher counter, I noticed the face of Jimi Hendrix staring back at me.

It was all I could do to keep from laughing, although I think Jimi would have understood... :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:24 am 

permanent solution for a temporary feeling.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:41 am 

although they can be any of the above (conformism or rebellion) tatoos can also be AMAZING ART !

check these out :mrgreen:

http://www.bizarbin.com/3d-tattoos/

these are just beautiful :

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:40 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
permanent solution for a temporary feeling.

OK then; I agree tats are art that give you a permanent solution for a temporary feeling!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:21 pm 

Pope Jim wrote:
I used to go to this bar for the cheap breakfast specials. They had a cute morning barmaid most weekdays, too, sort of an added enticement. Then they hired this guy with tattoos on his neck to cook MY breakfast. Uh-uh, no way Hose A. Haven't been back there in a year. Shit, I'll cook my own damn breakfast if that's the alternative. People with neck tattoos, to my mind, are automatically dirty. They want to give me hepatitis.

I don't know if you still read this forum, but you need to educate yourself. I had hepatitis when I impregnated my ex-wife, and both her and my son tested negative. Her and I even shared razors and toothbrushes a couple of times in emergency situations. That is not a recommended practice if the person actually knows he has hepatitis. You have to have 100% blood to blood transferal to pass hepatitis to someone else.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:00 pm 

Why does it have to be conformist or rebellion? How about just personal choice? I have one small tattoo in a place that only me, my husband and my gynecologist will ever see. And I got it because I think it's pretty and I like it. I also have piercings and not just to be cool. Again, in a place only me, my husband, my gyno and the technical who does my mammograms sees. And again, it's because I wanted the piercings, I like how they look and I don't give a fuck what anybody else thinks.. The fact that they feel great when manipulated is an added bonus.

Yes, I'm goin' to the love-in to sit & play
my bongos in the dirt.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:04 pm 

Pope Jim wrote:

I used to go to this bar for the cheap breakfast specials. They had a cute morning barmaid most weekdays, too, sort of an added enticement. Then they hired this guy with tattoos on his neck to cook MY breakfast. Uh-uh, no way Hose A. Haven't been back there in a year. Shit, I'll cook my own damn breakfast if that's the alternative. People with neck tattoos, to my mind, are automatically dirty. They want to give me hepatitis.

Wow, that is closed-minded and as bad as not eating food cooked by someone of a different race than you. Really, you wouldn't eat food cooked by someone just because you don't like their tattoos??? I have news for you dude, about 90% of people working in restaurant kitchens are covered with ink. Some of the best and most respected chef's in the world are tattooed.

Yes, I'm goin' to the love-in to sit & play
my bongos in the dirt.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:16 pm 

zappagirl wrote:
Why does it have to be conformist or rebellion? How about just personal choice? I have one small tattoo in a place that only me, my husband and my gynecologist will ever see. And I got it because I think it's pretty and I like it. I also have piercings and not just to be cool. Again, in a place only me, my husband, my gyno and the technical who does my mammograms sees. And again, it's because I wanted the piercings, I like how they look and I don't give a fuck what anybody else thinks.. The fact that they feel great when manipulated is an added bonus.

I would say that doesn't apply to you. Since your body art is not for public viewing, it was probably done without a conformist or a rebellious attitude?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:16 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
Pope Jim wrote:

I don't know if you still read this forum, ...

He might. It depends on whose belief system is correct.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25318&hilit=pope+jim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:31 pm 

My condolences. I had no idea. He was still misguided on this topic. I would have been less caustic had I known though. RIP!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:05 pm 

...Mildly put... I've seen enough good tattoos to look upon them as art, and enough bad tattoos to be extremely wary.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:12 pm 

I have four, and I more or less decided on the designs myself. I like them a lot. I can dress so they don't show. Anyways, I couldn't care less about other people's thoughts. Some could probably do a great psychoanalysis on me as to why I got them. I doubt, however, it would bring news to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:39 pm 

At the risk of offending anyone I met Pope Jim on a trip to Oregon, ironically I bought him breakfast.

He was a truly good man and if he didn't want a guy with a Tattoo on his neck (his choice) cooking him breakfast then he did not have to eat there (his choice).

We make a lot of choices and they have cause and effect...a guy got a tat (a choice), an owner hired him (a choice), and a guy decided not to have breakfast there anymore (a choice). There is no aspect to this scenario related to anything racial in these choices.

Pope Jim did a lot of good in his life, he was intelligent, quick witted, and had a cutting sense of humor that maybe sometimes people did not get (kind of a George Carlin type of thing). I don't know what his views on race were, but from the couple of hours I spent with him I learned of a guy who went out of his way to help others to the point that it was detrimental to himself.

I could give a flying shit about tattoo’s, I find them totally unnecessary and that’s why I have none (considered getting the "Only Judy can Judge me" tat with a picture of Judge Judy...but never did...lol).

Terri had a couple of nice ones, Amber has none, K is covered in them… But she can dress for work without them showing.

To me that may be the defining difference on this subject, do you care so little for yourself and others that you would have a tattoo that would threaten your ability to earn a living and/or are you so arrogant to think you could have that tattoo and it would not matter or should not effect that ability.

If it came down to it and I had to take a job somewhere to help my family survive, I sure wouldn’t want some “choice” I made to become a factor in being able to accomplish that…well that’s my two cents worth, carry on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:31 pm 

I do not dispute anything you say Plook. He certainly had the right to not have someone with a tattoo cook his breakfast. But, I also have the right to tell him is wrong about the transferal of hepatitis.

Had I known he was no longer among the living, I probably wouldn't have even made the post. But on hindsight, I'm glad I did. People reading his post have the right to know that he was wrong.

I truly do offer my condolences to anyone who was a friend or family member of his.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:30 am 

Somehow, reading that post, I feel Pope Jim was only kidding, and had he known you, he'd have apologised.

Where's that tattoo location map again?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:37 am 

zappagirl wrote:
Some of the best and most respected chef's in the world are tattooed.

Same goes for some of worst and dumbest fast food drive-through workers.

Yes, I see that. You've got some word on your neck that is written in cursive and another language.
That's great. And mysterious. Just... get my order right. Please?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:35 am 

On a lighter note, this reminds me of the movie Internship when Owen Wilson's character is considering working for his brother in-law Will Ferrell (who has a Sanskrit tattoo on his neck). Owen Wilsons character observes that he is not sure he can work for a guy that spent the whole Thanksgiving Dinner explaining what his tattoo meant… :lol:

Also while driving and listening to XM radio comedy central a comedian did a joke about neck tattoo’s, saying in the past that if you saw someone with one in a dark alley it was certain death…now they get them at the local muffin shop on the frapachino McNeck tattoo special and they want to read you a poem about their vegan bicycle… :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:59 am 

Pope Jim wrote:
I'm well aware of that. It doesn't mean I can't air my true feelings. What do I care what the rest of you think? You're all figments of my imagination.

Nice. Miss ya Pope :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:45 am 

I have just this on my left shoulder -
It hurt, so I didn't want any more :P