Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:52 pm 

2008-2012. Lady Gaga, Kanye West, and uh, all those others who I can't remember right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:50 am 

1969 - 1972 , gotta have the first four Zeppelin albums in there. Sabbath,Deep Purple,Genesis,Yes,King Crimson,ELP,FZ!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:33 am 

Plook wrote:
2008-2012

Gym Class Hereos
Lady GaGa
Celo
Katty Perry
Rihanna
Maroon 5
Pink
Nicki Minaj
Neon Trees
One Republic
B.o.B
Carly Rae Jepsen
Sia
Gotye

Dude that shit is going on 40 years old, your living in the past dude, you probably still like Bozo the Clown, get with the future...pump it up...have some fun... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:51 am 

2018-2022

It has to get better eventually........doesn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:13 pm 

Philmore wrote:
2018-2022

Aren't we supposed to have like that starwars bar band by then and flying cars, oh and jet packs...I think their a little behind schedule on all this crap... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:55 pm 

Philmore wrote:
2018-2022

It's getting worse all the time (it can't get no better)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:27 pm 

Wednesday, August, Irwindale, 2:30 in the Afternoon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:59 am 

coevad wrote:
1969 - 1972 , gotta have the first four Zeppelin albums in there. Sabbath,Deep Purple,Genesis,Yes,King Crimson,ELP,FZ!

Yeah, I agree. My choice is 70-73. From January 1st of 1970 to December 31st of 1973, I could have a steady ear-diet of this music and be pleased with it. I feel that if these years of music didn't exist, (just pretend) things would be different. How different I can only speculate. In my case I try to imagine jumping from the sounds of 1969 into 1974 with the idea that -for example- What if all those FZ albums of that era didn't exist. Also I wanted to get your opinions to find out what years the most bands/musicians were generally speaking at the peak of their powers.

Perhaps I will begin to further expand my collection of this particular era which I concider a high water mark.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:18 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
coevad wrote:

Yeah, I agree. My choice is 70-73. From January 1st of 1970 to December 31st of 1973, I could have a steady ear-diet of this music and be pleased with it. I feel that if these years of music didn't exist, (just pretend) things would be different. How different I can only speculate. In my case I try to imagine jumping from the sounds of 1969 into 1974 with the idea that -for example- What if all those FZ albums of that era didn't exist. Also I wanted to get your opinions to find out what years the most bands/musicians were generally speaking at the peak of their powers.

Perhaps I will begin to further expand my collection of this particular era which I concider a high water mark.

Chicago Transit Authority(1969) - this album really changed things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:19 am 

2 BC to 2 AD they made Jesus Christ Superstar!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:29 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
2 BC to 2 AD they made Jesus Christ Superstar!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:12 pm 

1968 : BS&T, Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills Super Sessions, Boogie w / Canned Heat, Cheap Thrills (Big Brother & the Holding Co.), CCR Bayou Country, LLong Time Comin', Electric Ladyland, The Beatles White Album, Saurcerful of Secrets, Beggars Banquet, Trafffic, Wheels of Fire, CCR, Lumpy Gravy, WOIIFTM, CWR&TJ

1969 : The Progressive Blues Experiment, Johnny Winter, Second Winter, CS&N, Blind Faith, With A Little Help from My Friends, Joe Cocker, Buffalo Springfield - Retrospective, Then Play On, Cosmos Factory, Free, Abbey Rd., Band Of Gypsies, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, Ummagumma, Asylum Choir II, Let It Bleed, Axis Bold As Love, Green River, Willie and the Poor Boys, In the Court of the Crimson King, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Uncle Meat, Mothermania

1970 : American Beauty, Tea For The Tillerman, Black Sabbath, Deja Vu, Trout Mask Replica, Live Cream, Led Zeppelin III, Plastic Ono Band, Layla, Idlewild South, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, Atom Heart Mother, Abraxas, John Barleycorn Must Die, Live At Leeds, James Gang Rides Again, Closer To Home, Lick My Decals Off, Baby, Hot Rats, Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Chunga's Revenge

1971 : John Prine, I Think We're All Bozos On This Bus, Meddle, A Childs Garden Of Grass, Hey jude, Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East, Master Of Reality, Killer, Love It To Death, L.A. Woman, Emerso, Lake, & Palmer, Tumbleweed Connection, Imagine, Zofo, Hot Rocks, The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys, Look At Yourself, Who's Next, Thirds, Humble Pie:Rockin' The Fillmore, Tarkus, EveryGoodBouDeservesFavor, The Yes Album, Fragile, Sticky Fingers, Steppenwolf Live, A Space In Time, Mothers: Fillmore East, 200 Motels

These are the top 4 years in my LP collection. Some of the dates may be +or- some of the spelling may be off.
It is the music I grew up with in high school.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:07 pm 

1965-1968
Definately! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:13 pm 

Hi,

I really think that all years are good.

The things change so much from one day to the next that saying that one year is better than the other is almost the same thing as saying that we have not heard another year as well as we did that one ... if I list 1972, and then list 2011, I have heard 3 times more stuff from 1972 than I have from 2011, but it does not mean that 2011 is not good ... I just have not given it a good listen!

But I would accept that, TODAY, not having a brand new FM band that started with new music and experimental music, is a massive problem and important part of what brought us the musics in those days ... today, this is impossible ... specially with Sirius and XM being just another corporate affair and not have anything different on it to show for their work ... and on top of it, the very obvious commercial definition of their work, instead of having any sense, desire, or ability to work, show and approve any new music out there!

You just don't have the benefits that we had in LA (for example) of a KNAC or some other independent stations that gave us so much music instead of another top ten ... of classic rock, which is nothing but another cover for BMI/ASCAP artist money ... which tells you that they will never play any independents on their air time ... we never, ever, thought that in the early days of FM radio to show you the major difference!

We just forgot how to fight the establishment! And not enough artists are banding together to fight it! It's become a corporate world!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:40 pm 

Hi,

One more detail that I think is important here.

In those days, you did not have so many people with so many opinions trashing everything and the kitchen sink and the sun. And it gave improvisation, experimentation and other musics and arts, an avenue that today would be nearly impossible ... no one can keep their mouth shut and most comments are not capable of accepting something different, or something they do not understand.

So today, Frank would put something on the YouTube, or Facebook, and immediately get banned for the wording, and no one would ever hear about it because Facebook and YouTube, ABOVE ALL, are corporate interests and they only want the money from the hits and advertising ... and don't care if one piece is there or not!

And on top of it, someone like Frank Zappa, today, would be laughed off as just another eccentric idiot out there ... because not that many people listen to music ... most just want to hear that guitar riff again, and guitar hero stuff off classic rock! Look at the lists people make here ... almost all of it commercial rock music ... with a few oddballs here and there!

We need an outlet for this material and any other ... there simply isn't one to help new music!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:37 pm 

What a weird question!

It would have to be 2008-2012!

2008 was the year I signed up for Napster streaming (before they rolled into Rhapsody). The ease of music discovery (way better than Pandora cause you could pick what you wanted, unlimited), coupled with curated web radio revealed SO MUCH great music to me - old and new.

All hail the INTERWEBS!

http://BenSommerMusic.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:49 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
1st.choice: '66 - '70. 8)
2nd.choice: '70 - '74......then there was disco inferno and it all went to hell!

Kapt is, of course, correct.