Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 179  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:29 pm 

dove_grey wrote:
William Windom---Starred in a fave (if short-lived) show from childhood, My World And Welcome To It, in later years, a recurring role on Murder, She Wrote. Also starred in a Star Trek episode (can't recall the name...I'm sure someone does) about a Doomsday machine...in too many other roles to mention here. Very sad. :cry:

I always liked him.Didn't he play an Admiral or another Kaptain on Star Trek? I don't have my log book with me,but I believe he was one or the other.El Bummo man. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:20 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
dove_grey wrote:
William Windom---Starred in a fave (if short-lived) show from childhood, My World And Welcome To It, in later years, a recurring role on Murder, She Wrote. Also starred in a Star Trek episode (can't recall the name...I'm sure someone does) about a Doomsday machine...in too many other roles to mention here. Very sad. :cry:

I always liked him.Didn't he play an Admiral or another Kaptain on Star Trek? I don't have my log book with me,but I believe he was one or the other.El Bummo man. :cry:

The Doomsday Machine. "My World..." is where I got to like him, too. There was an episode about an aquaintence biting the back of Windom's wife. Stuck in my mind forever.

As the ultimately heroic Commodore Matt Decker.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:44 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
dove_grey wrote:

The Doomsday Machine. "My World..." is where I got to like him, too. There was an episode about an aquaintence biting the back of Windom's wife. Stuck in my mind forever.

As the ultimately heroic Commodore Matt Decker.

Ah yes,Commodore Matt Decker,that had some kind of mental breakdown.Thanx jpd,you da geek of the week's Trekky....and my new Trekky hero! :wink: :lol:
WW seemed like someone's nice uncle/father that was always a pleasure to see and you quickly cared about his charactor.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:07 pm 

I'll always remember William Windom from "The Twilight Zone". He was the army major in "Five Characters in Search of an Exit" and also played Robert Duvall's psychiatrist in the episode "Miniature". The number of outstanding actors and actresses who appeared in that series is truly remarkable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:42 am 

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/21/arts/television/phyllis-diller-sassy-comedian-dies-at-95.html?pagewanted=all

Most of us will really miss you, Phyllis! Another truly under-rated comedian. She was one of my favorites when I was a kid. (Be sure to say "Hi!" to "Fang" for me!) :cry:

--Batchain :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am 

Yes Phyllis was a trail blazer and an icon, she left her mark and all women owe a debt to her... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:38 pm 

It's cool that she appeared on Tattletales with her 2 year (not the same 2 years!) husband, Warde Donovan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:25 pm 

RIP Jerry Nelson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Nelson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:44 am 

Neil Armstrong (82)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:48 pm 

BBP wrote:
Neil Armstrong (82)

One small step for man.....one giant leap for mankind.Boy,did he have the right stuff! He will be missed.El Bummo man! :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:19 pm 

Good on you Neil. One of the last real explorers.

Miasma!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:19 am 

But he never gave up the goods on UFO's, hell he wouldn't give an interview for years because he did not want to answer those questions, probably did not wan to lie...thankfully many of astronauts gave it up, Gordon Cooper was the first... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:43 pm 

Plook wrote:
But he never gave up the goods on UFO's, hell he wouldn't give an interview for years because he did not want to answer those questions, probably did not wan to lie...thankfully many of astronauts gave it up, Gordon Cooper was the first... :smoke:

I was listening to the Dan Patrick Show today where he recalled when he met Neil Armstrong at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am. Patrick was invited to play because Bill Murray got him in. Anyway, pro golfer Peter Jacobsen told Patrick to go ask Neil about "walking on the moon" because he really liked talking about it. Jacobsen was just setting him up as he knew the opposite was true. When Patrick approached him and asked Neil about what it was like walking on the moon, Armstrong just rolled his eyes as in "oh no, not again". Kinda funny.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:12 pm 

Burning monk photographer dies

The self-immolation of Buddhist monk Thích Quảng Đức in 1963

...meanwhile in 2012:

Two Tibetan teenagers die in self-immolations

Two Tibetan teenagers have died after setting themselves on fire in Sichuan province, activists and US media said.

Lobsang Kalsang, an 18-year-old monk, and Damchoek, a 17-year-old former monk, set themselves on fire on Monday morning, London-based Free Tibet said.

It happened outside the Kirti Monastery in Aba county, where many of the self-immolations have taken place.

This brings the number of Tibetans who have set themselves on fire since 2009 to 51, the group added.

The BBC is unable to verify this figure. Foreign media are banned from the region, making reports hard to confirm. Chinese state media have confirmed some of the self-immolations but not all.

More than half of those who have set themselves on fire are believed to have died. (...)

Activists say the self-immolations are protests against Chinese rule and religious repression

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:24 pm 

The Horror......The Horror. :cry: Free Tibet! :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:46 pm 

I know things can get tough every once in a while but setting yourself on fire is never a solution or a good idea. :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:18 pm 

the humanity,,,,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:49 am 

KUIII wrote:
I know things can get tough every once in a while but setting yourself on fire is never a solution or a good idea. :(

Many people each year attempt suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, several have lived, someone interviewed as many survivors as they could locate, all of them said they realized it was a bad idea the moment they jumped...

:smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:11 pm 

KUIII wrote:

Burning airlines give you so much more :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:55 pm 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Burning airlines give you so much more :wink:

You tell 'em, Brian!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:54 pm 

Despite recent reports, Bill Nye "The Science Guy" is NOT dead!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:15 am 

dove_grey wrote:

And, another false claim, currently going 'round..."well respected actor Robert Duvall has died after falling from a cliff while filming in New Zealand."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:21 am 

dove_grey wrote:

Surprised he hasn't had a hit put on him yet. He's pissed off the creationists again...
Religion should not be confused with science - Bill Nye
And back in 2006 he was booed in Waco for 'claiming' that the moon reflected the light of the sun and did not, in fact, have it's own light source.

What is this, the 1400's? :roll:

Miasma!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:05 am 

There was another article where he went off on the guy in Missouri running for Senate.

""Look, these people they're f*cking retarded. Rape can't cause pregnancy? Breastmilk cures homosexuality? I caused a hurricane by challenging creationism? Who can possibly take these people seriously anymore?"

"...Now they don't even believe in egg + sperm = baby. Where does Todd Akin think babies come from? Does he think there are separate storks for people who were raped and people who weren't? "

"Hey look at me! I'm the rape stork. I drop off all my babies directly at the orphanage."

"He's a f*cking idiot. Just a plain f*cking idiot. I'm sorry - I don't say that word very often - but it happens to fit in this case. He's just a f*cking idiot."

"So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano-a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna f*cking need it when I'm done whipping."

Nye apologized once more for his language before ripping off his microphone and walking off the set."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:32 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
There was another article where he went off on the guy in Missouri running for Senate.

""Look, these people they're f*cking retarded. Rape can't cause pregnancy? Breastmilk cures homosexuality? I caused a hurricane by challenging creationism? Who can possibly take these people seriously anymore?"

"...Now they don't even believe in egg + sperm = baby. Where does Todd Akin think babies come from? Does he think there are separate storks for people who were raped and people who weren't? "

"Hey look at me! I'm the rape stork. I drop off all my babies directly at the orphanage."

"He's a f*cking idiot. Just a plain f*cking idiot. I'm sorry - I don't say that word very often - but it happens to fit in this case. He's just a f*cking idiot."

"So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano-a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna f*cking need it when I'm done whipping."

Nye apologized once more for his language before ripping off his microphone and walking off the set."

Is this for real or is it the Onion?

For the love of Dog, a link if you please!

Miasma!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 179  Next