Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:10 am 

Hi,

New member here. I hope you don't mind, but I joined up just to ask one question relating to something I might want to sell. I don't want to sell it here; I just want some information and insight on it. I am a Zappa fan, but probably not at the "message board level." I primarily like what he did in the '60's and early '70's.

Anyhow, I have a 35mm print of the "200 Motels" trailer. As cool as it is, I feel it is time to move it on to a new home. It was passed down to be by my pops; he has owned it since before I was born. I am just wondering if this thing might have much monetary value, and if so, if you know how would be the best way to go about selling it. It has obviously been run, but it is not thrashed.

If you can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:48 pm 

I don't imagine it's worth as much as you might have hoped. But, let me offer you an alternative. Maybe Mrs. Zappa herself might be interested in it. Not necessarily for $$ but the honor of turning it back to good use from the man that created the film.
just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:12 pm 

Take it to Pawn Stars. Big Hoss might give you something for it, my man.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:30 pm 

Very tacky man.imho. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:15 pm 

That sounds like a little treasure. There are many film fans that would love to preserve something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:32 pm 

Voodoo_Butter wrote:
That sounds like a little treasure. There are many film fans that would love to preserve something like that.

Exactly,maybe the vaultmeister and the ZFT would like a shot at preserving they're copyrighted trailer.Were these given out as gratuities (?) or sold by FZ for public consumtion? Anyone know fer sure? I think I saw the trailer on you tube,so who should give a fuck anyway? Inquiring ZappaFreaks want to know! {-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42 pm 

Is this the same trailer that was included as a bonus Quicktime movie file on the 200 Motels Ryko Disk release?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:45 am 

I don't imagine it to have any particular value, great or small; I am not educated enough on FZ memorabilia to make a guess. That's why I asked here.

Obviously it has no value as a "lost work." It will add nothing new to the historical record; it's the same trailer that I'm sure you all have seen 1,000 times. It is not the info contained within; it is the object itself that I though might hold some appeal to a memorabilia collector.

As cool as this reel might be, and as much as I like his early music, I am simply not a FZ memorabilia collector. I have all I need from FZ: his albums. I'd like to move this item on to someone who will appreciate it, if such a person exists. If no one wants it, great. I can just toss it and lose some clutter in my place. If I can make some bux unloading it, even better.

It's a simple query; if you can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

Last edited by MisterGreenGenes on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:06 pm 

When's the last time it was viewed? How and where was it stored? That film stock could be just completely fried after all that time, as in if you play it on a normal 35mm projector it would just fall apart, literally. For it to be worth anything at all, it would have to be in top shape.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:40 am 

KUIII wrote:

Yuuup!

:smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:35 am 

Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Yuuup!

I'd be shocked if they guys from Pawn Stars have even heard of Uncle Frank.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:56 am 

zomby'sprog wrote:
Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Yuuup!

I'd be shocked if they guys from Pawn Stars have even heard of Uncle Frank.

I will bet that Rick would not only know him, but have a working knowledge of his overall career... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:06 pm 

Rick seems to know just about everything and what he doesn't one of his friends would know. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:23 pm 

Just maybe the ol' man would bring in GZ to *authenticate* it. :mrgreen:

Give it to Chumly! :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:00 pm 

I love Chumlee! The ONLY person that does'nt irritate me when they say,"Back in the day" is the Old Man, 'cause he was THERE back in the day!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:19 am 

dove_grey wrote:
I love Chumlee! The ONLY person that does'nt irritate me when they say,"Back in the day" is the Old Man, 'cause he was THERE back in the day!

I'd love to have The Old Man's car collection! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:05 pm 

Pawn Stars is great! I freaking love that show along with American Pickers, and American Restoration.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:36 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Pawn Stars is great! I freaking love that show along with American Pickers, and American Restoration.

Those American Pickers would fit right in a district I know of in SF, *The Castro* if ya get my drift.There's a pitcher-catcher thing going on there.Then I might just be fuckin' wid ja too! :wink: Honey. :mrgreen:

Ya seen that Pawn shop in Detriot with Less and his kids.What fun! Pissed off poor people of Detroit pawning their hopes and dreams. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:49 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Those American Pickers would fit right in a district I know of in SF, *The Castro* if ya get my drift.There's a pitcher-catcher thing going on there.Then I might just be fuckin' wid ja too! :wink: Honey. :mrgreen:

Ya seen that Pawn shop in Detriot with Less and his kids.What fun! Pissed off poor people of Detroit pawning their hopes and dreams. :roll:

No pitchin' and catchin" man! :roll: Just wondering where Danielle fits into this triangle. :wink: I dig the whole rockabilly retro vibe of this show though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:22 pm 

KUIII wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KUIII wrote:

No pitchin' and catchin" man! :roll: Just wondering where Danielle fits into this triangle. :wink: I dig the whole rockabilly retro vibe of this show though.

Girlfriend sends her *boys* on bitchin' pickin' jobs and they *pick-trinkets* that don't total the freakin' gas they would have to put out just to go where they go.Those guys just bug me.I just can't get behind,nor do I want to,them.Now Danielle,well who pay's her? There's all this great stuff around and they choose the little things or bobbles,total it up for us to see and it don't pay for Danielle at all!?! Was up wid dat? :|

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:43 pm 

KUIII wrote:

Until quite recently, I thought "American Pickers" (there is a "Canadian Pickers" also) was about guitar players. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:07 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Until quite recently, I thought "American Pickers" (there is a "Canadian Pickers" also) was about guitar players. :roll:

+1 I thought it was gonna be a show about some Nashville cats all passing the guitars,mandolins and banjos around. :oops: