Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:48 pm 

I'm systematically listening to all the new Universal remasters, and reviewing them. My latest comprehensive review is at www.witchdoctor.co.nz
I've been a huge Zappa fan since the age of 13, when Grand Wazoo (only a year old then) blew my mind, followed by Absolutely Free. I'm glad I got to hear such two amazing and very different FZ albums first, because it helped me get a handle (or should I say helped me get a handle on not getting a handle but still enjoying it!) the rest of FZ's amazing discography.
Anyway, looking forward to getting more involved with this forum and its oddballs (like me).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:22 pm 

Hey! I've been enjoying your reviews! Very well done, though it has me itching to pick up a bunch of these titles. I'll probably rebuy most of them even though I have the first gen rykos.

great job!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:37 am 

" While these replaced rhythm tracks fatten up the bass sound (some of which sounds like an electronically modified double bass),"

Some tracks in the remix use double bass, played by Jay Anderson. Patrick O'Hearn also plays on "How Could I Be Such A Fool."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:44 am 

So does this reissue sound better than the previous ryko? I know it's the same master, but it seems that others like Freak Out have been tweeked a bit in a positive way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:16 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:
So does this reissue sound better than the previous ryko? I know it's the same master, but it seems that others like Freak Out have been tweeked a bit in a positive way.

Freak Out hasn't been tweaked, it's identical to the Ryko. All of the ones I've checked are identical.

With the 2012 CDs that use the old digital masters, any differences in sound are all in the mind :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:29 am 

Great review!

It's a shame the Greasy Love Songs edition is so expensive! But I must have it, no matter what!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:27 pm 

Call me a simpleton if you will, but I like the 80s refurb more than the original mix.

To me, the original vinyl mix just sounds like relatively uninteresting (although well-crafted) 60s doo-wop. But Frank's remix with the Barrow/Wackerman/Anderson parts sounds like some weird & interesting mix of 50s doo wop and 80s music. I dig it.

I listen to Cruisn way more than Greasy.

I realize this has little to do with the 2012 reissues because very little has changed since FZ tampered with the origonal source, so flame away, I don't care....