Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is it Just me, or...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:22 pm 

Is it just me or does it seem like there's a LOT going on in some of the songs, say on Absolutely Free? I enjoy listening to it, but it seems as there is so much going on in all of the songs that it is kind of hard to have a good listen. Am I wrong here, or do I just not get it?

Post subject: Re: Is it Just me, or...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:25 pm 

That's part of the fun. There's more to discover with each listen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:53 pm 

jordan, you get it. i've been listening to fz for 37 years and i still hear things i've never noticed before, in pieces that i've listened to hundreds of times.

not only that, over time i continue to hear the music in ways i've not heard it before...evolving toward (hopefully) a better understanding of what's going on in the piece.

most recently, for example, i'm having an epiphany about "jazz from hell". it's been knocking my socks off.

that's the amazing thing about frank's music.

the complexity of the music coupled with the sheer quantity of frank's output can indeed be overwhelming. don't make it a chore. it's a long journey...to be taken slowly...it requires time, patience and active listening...not a quick fix. but it's an incredibly journey and the rewards are immeasurable. just sit back, relax, and have fun.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:55 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
jordan, you get it. i've been listening to fz for 37 years and i still hear things i've never noticed before, in pieces that i've listened to hundreds of times.

not only that, over time i continue to hear the music in ways i've not heard it before...evolving toward (hopefully) a better understanding of what's going on in the piece.

most recently, for example, i'm having an epiphany about "jazz from hell". it's been knocking my socks off.

the complexity of the music coupled with the sheer quantity of frank's output can indeed be overwhelming. don't make it a chore. it's a long journey...to be taken slowly...it requires time, patience and active listening...not a quick fix. but it's an incredibly journey and the rewards are immeasurable. just sit back, relax, and have fun.

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:57 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:

Amen, brother.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:16 pm 

Jordan wrote:
Is it just me or does it seem like there's a LOT going on in some of the songs, say on Absolutely Free? I enjoy listening to it, but it seems as there is so much going on in all of the songs that it is kind of hard to have a good listen. Am I wrong here, or do I just not get it?

Absolutely Free was recorded cheaply on 4-track tape and there were lots of musical details crammed onto just two or three tracks. The vocals were overdubbed onto one or two tracks with everybody singing at once. The mutli-tracks for this album (along with the "Big Leg Emma" single) were junked by MGM not long after the sessions, making a more detailed remix impossible. So it's just kind of stuck that way, like a million instruments are crammed into a tiny room.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:39 pm 

AF was recorded in short sections of often a few bars or even one bar only. So you might have different instrumentations from one moment to another. Frank edited it all together then.

Th.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:39 am 

Jordan wrote:

Are you fucking kidding? Go listen to Justin Bieber if you can't handle real music!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:45 am 

Jordan wrote:

you have just listed all the reasons why I Listen to Zappa...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:14 am 

sleeping in a jar wrote:

Jordan - sleepy is lying. He's a masochist. The rest of us only listen to the parts we like.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:22 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Jordan wrote:

Are you fucking kidding? Go listen to Justin Bieber if you can't handle real music!!

hey, give the kid a break!

and besides, justin bieber is a very complex musical personality. just ask any of the young women where i work.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:27 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
sleeping in a jar wrote:

Jordan - sleepy is lying. He's a masochist. The rest of us only listen to the parts we like.

i thought i asked you not to bring up the m-word. i thought we had an understanding.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:10 pm 

If you think it sounds dense ill defined on the 2012 remaster, the Ryko is FAR WORSE, with a layer or digital reverb and a narrowed stereo spread!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:19 pm 

There's too much going on in parts of Absolutely Free. It's ridiculous. He was heading for WOIIFTM.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:52 am 

Is this the general "I've never noticed that before" thread? If not, it should be.

On headphones I noticed acoustic guitar on WPLJ (BWS version) in the left channel for the first time. Must have been "smeared" by all that reverb on the old version (I've never heard the LP).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:43 am 

I thought that was kind of obvious with the strumming sound. (On my LP, at least)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:39 am 

Jordan wrote:

Ha! Just wait until you listen to Uncle Meat. Now that album has density like you've never heard!!