Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13138
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
just plain doug wrote:
Marcel Marceau




(..............) imho. :x :( :| :wink: :lol: :) :D :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19495
Location: Somewhere in time
Johnny Mathis


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13138
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Ella Fitzgerald and Caruso.

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 5811
Location: A holographic construct outside of linear time
It's a tough question as there's a lot of good lead singers who sing shit songs and there's a lot of bad singers who sing great songs.

The singer I most like to listen to is either Neil Young or Leonard Cohen most likely, probably both, neither of them are great singers but their songs resonate with me in a way that even greatest voice couldn't match. And I think that's vastly more important than a great voice or stage presence. Great singers tend to worry less about the content of their songs and make their performance/ability the focal point of their songs, not always but often this is the case.

_________________
Solipsism
Solar Culture
Solipsism Tumblr
Shitface
Shitface Music Page


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:05 pm
Posts: 2765
Location: where the dogs roll by
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
It's a tough question as there's a lot of good lead singers who sing shit songs and there's a lot of bad singers who sing great songs.

The singer I most like to listen to is either Neil Young or Leonard Cohen most likely, probably both, neither of them are great singers but their songs resonate with me in a way that even greatest voice couldn't match. And I think that's vastly more important than a great voice or stage presence. Great singers tend to worry less about the content of their songs and make their performance/ability the focal point of their songs, not always but often this is the case.


yes indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58wK8urFdY

_________________
I can't tell when you're telling the truth.
>I'm not.
How do I know anything you've said to me is...
>You don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 5811
Location: A holographic construct outside of linear time
sleeping in a jar wrote:
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
It's a tough question as there's a lot of good lead singers who sing shit songs and there's a lot of bad singers who sing great songs.

The singer I most like to listen to is either Neil Young or Leonard Cohen most likely, probably both, neither of them are great singers but their songs resonate with me in a way that even greatest voice couldn't match. And I think that's vastly more important than a great voice or stage presence. Great singers tend to worry less about the content of their songs and make their performance/ability the focal point of their songs, not always but often this is the case.


yes indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58wK8urFdY


cheers for linking the vid, not seen that before!

_________________
Solipsism
Solar Culture
Solipsism Tumblr
Shitface
Shitface Music Page


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:05 pm
Posts: 2765
Location: where the dogs roll by
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
sleeping in a jar wrote:
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
It's a tough question as there's a lot of good lead singers who sing shit songs and there's a lot of bad singers who sing great songs.

The singer I most like to listen to is either Neil Young or Leonard Cohen most likely, probably both, neither of them are great singers but their songs resonate with me in a way that even greatest voice couldn't match. And I think that's vastly more important than a great voice or stage presence. Great singers tend to worry less about the content of their songs and make their performance/ability the focal point of their songs, not always but often this is the case.


yes indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58wK8urFdY


cheers for linking the vid, not seen that before!


yes, it's great isn't it? i discovered it by accident about a month ago. love that song.

_________________
I can't tell when you're telling the truth.
>I'm not.
How do I know anything you've said to me is...
>You don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
Posts: 108
Location: Bakersfield, California
King Diamond, Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Frank Zappa, David Gilmour


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19495
Location: Somewhere in time
Don Ho


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:19 am
Posts: 465
Location: San Jose...not Reseda, CA
Janis Joplin and Nick Gravenites

_________________
Music > Everything
CLETUS must now, regretfully, dispose of the ones who refuse to alter their unmusical ways.
http://www.vulturesawait.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:09 am
Posts: 140
Location: back east...
Without question, Paul Rogers. He embodies all the best in a male rock vocalist.
As for Zappa's bands, it has to be Napoleon Murphy Brock.
(I'll bet Paul Rogers could have done a good job on some of Frank's tunes)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 4123
Location: Orange County Ca.
Tony Clifton


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19495
Location: Somewhere in time
No one said the Chairmen...Frank Sinatra, no one every ruled the roost or owned a song like he did, he crossed all boundries as if they did not exist... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:36 pm
Posts: 243
sleeping in a jar wrote:
annie haslam


I met her! Sweet lady.

_________________
Host of Prog Rock Deep Cuts, airing Thursdays from 7-10 PM EST on houseofprog.com.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:47 am
Posts: 74
Chris Cornell


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:40 pm
Posts: 3580
Location: Eugene, OR
Annie Lennox


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19495
Location: Somewhere in time
Pope Jim wrote:
Annie Lennox



+1... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:03 am
Posts: 1416
Location: Washington State, USA
hodgy wrote:
King Diamond.

haha hell yea \m/

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 4123
Location: Orange County Ca.
Freddie Mercury


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 4123
Location: Orange County Ca.
Ronnie James Dio


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7006
Location: exile
jack bruce
steve winwood
steve marriott
john wetton
paul rodgers

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Last edited by Lumpy Gravy on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19495
Location: Somewhere in time
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
jack bruce
steve winwood
john wetton




Glad to see you back Lump... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7006
Location: exile
Plook wrote:
Glad to see you back Lump... :smoke:
well, I just edited that post twice.

and, don't get your hopes up, plookster. it might just be a temporary comeback.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19495
Location: Somewhere in time
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Plook wrote:
Glad to see you back Lump... :smoke:
well, I just edited that post twice.

and, don't get your hopes up, plookster. it might just be a temporary comeback.



One day at a time... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 4123
Location: Orange County Ca.
Brian Wilson


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group