Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:06 pm 

I just can't seem to let go of this...
I took a look at the new Apostrophe(') CD and observed that although the metallic layer was free of holes or bumps the entire surface had a wavy mottled appearance to it. Similar to what painter's call 'orange peel'. I then looked at my old Ryko Overnite Sensation/Apostrophe mfd by LaserVideo and it's metalic surface was perfectly flat and no waviness. You could even see the individual tracks! Which were not immediately visible on the new CD.
No doubt these new CDs are made differently. If I had the equipment I would like to scan both new and old CDs and compare the different levels of errors.
Looks like there is more reason than ever to rip CDs to a hard drive for safekeeping.
The new releases made from analog masters do sound Frikin' Awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:24 pm 

No problems with the Amazon sourced "GW" down under...........

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:25 pm 

I use this utility to scan CDs. It's free.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/Nero-CDDVD-Speed.shtml

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:56 pm 

Yeah, that's okay for data cds but for audio discs somthing like a QA-101 COMPACT DISC ANALYZER is needed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:40 pm 

I'm going to have to go to my local Best Buy just to see some FZ CD's! Ah, the good old days....Makes me also want to stick with my old vinyl GW. Hmmm....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:46 am 

My GW was fine both in the car and in the PC when ripping it. I rip with dBpoweramp.

Waka/Jawaka played fine in the car BUT I had to try 4 times to get my CDRom player to recognize it. Then it failed on track 4 while ripping. I tried it again and it was fine. I haven't checked the MP3s yet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:39 am 

I emailed UMe and asked for news about this. We'll see.

According to LInkedIn:
Sujata Murthy is Senior Vice President, Public Relations and Artist Relations at Universal Music Enterprises
sujata.murthy@umusic.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:50 am 

Wazoo came today. I tried it in the car and no problems. I brought it home and put it in my laptop and at first, it wouldn't recognize it. Then, I tried an external disc drive and it loaded with no trouble.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:54 pm 

F.Natural wrote:
I emailed UMe and asked for news about this. We'll see.

Mine was jacked, too. Only worked in my GF's iMac. Ripped it (FLAC, of course), burned a backup, and mailed the original back to Amazon.

Updates as to how UMe responds to you, F.Natural, would be greatly appreciated.

Call any record label, and the record label will respond to you....? :|

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:11 am 

Surprisingly, Saturday afternoon the PR person I responded :
"I forwarded to the appropriate people and they are looking into it.
They will be in touch next week."

It must suck to have to check your email on the weekends...

In the mean time, if anyone has some high power magnification and can compare a new release to an old release I think that will tell the story. I don't have access to anything to do a better job. Maybe one of those 200x microscopes with digital camera would do the trick???

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:17 pm 

I returned my GW to Amazon today. When I put it in my car player it started acting up about minute or so into the first track. Guess I'll use Best Buy, which I did for the other 15 or 16 albums I've ordered/received. Good prices. Free shipping. Fast.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:25 pm 

Has anyone confirmed or not if the Best Buy versions have the same problems or not? I ran into a problem with my copy of One Size Fits All, but I closed Windows Media Player, opened up the disc in Windows Explorer and got it to work finally.

Last edited by Jordan on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:40 am 

Jordan wrote:
Has anyone confirmed or not if the Best Buy versions have the same problems or not? I ran into a problem with my copy of One Size Fits All, but I close Windows Media Player, opened up the disc in Windows Explorer and got it to work finally.

Mine hasn't given me any trouble, and I bought it from Best Buy. It sucks that some people are struggling with it, though...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:13 am 

still no word from UMe.
I may order the next batch from Amazon.Uk.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:14 pm 

still no word...
(by the time 'they' respond someone will have up'd it to the cloud)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:29 pm 

I think I'll just order mine from Best Buy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:05 pm 

Amazon no longer has it in stock. Looks like they have been pulled for the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:33 am 

Just received GW among others and it plays without problems. It is an EU pressing.

BTW, it is the first time I get to hear this album with the switched track order. I had been used to the original vinyl and the first Ryko which both have the "right" order. I say "right" because I will probably never get used to hearing it with The Grand Wazoo at the beginning. It doesn't work as good as starting with Calvin.

Since the source for this was the original analog master of course, could it be that the master tape always had TGW first? Maybe the sequence was changed at the last moment during disk cutting in 1972?

Th.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:18 am 

Thinman wrote:

Since the source for this was the original analog master of course, could it be that the master tape always had TGW first? Maybe the sequence was changed at the last moment during disk cutting in 1972?

Th.

One of the great mysteries of Zappa-dom. I always prefered Calvin first, even though I grew up on the Ryko.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:22 am 

I got my refund from Amazon and promptly bought a shiny new TGW from Waterloo Records (the best record store in the world!). Yes, they actually had it in stock! Plays fine. I don't know how all that works. I guess Amazon has their own pressing plant?

Anyway, I just received the newest batch (Orchestral Favorites through Thing-Fish) which I ordered from Best Buy online. They were cheaper, but be warned, they don't pack their CDs as diligently as Amazon. No packing material whatsoever. CD's stacked loosely in a box. Several jewel cases were cracked. Also they ship via UPS. Don't get me started on THEM. Whatever. I should be buying locally anyway.

"Eat all your Zappa, kids. There are starving kids in California."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:49 pm 

I've had problems getting the Grand Wazoo to boot up in any computer drive, the PlayStation 3 included, believe it or not! I took it back to HMV and got another copy, but it's the exact same problem, so I assume that it's the whole batch that's whacky. Plays fine in my Blu-ray player, and it plays OK in the car CD player, but I can't get it to boot in any computer-based ROM drive!

I kind of have a similar problem with Sheik Yerbouti, but it will play in the PlayStation just fine, as well as in my Blu-ray player. For any "computer" I have tried it in, though, the sound gets extremely choppy around Track 17 or so, and it's the same thing in the car CD player. Frigging weird, and disappointing, too, because Sheik is absolutely one of my favourite albums!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:42 am 

I finally got word from UMe.

"We have found a problem with the stamper in the initial run. I have a copy made with the corrected stamper..."

Sooo, there is, or will be, a second run of these. I have no info on when or how you could tell the difference. Hopefully whatever was wrong is now checked by their QA department and won't happen again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:44 am 

No problem with my copy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:17 pm 

I have in my possesion one of the cds made with the new stamper. It has played fine twice and my PC was able to read it with no logged errors. Should it fail in the future I will update this thread.
I still have no idea how to identify the new from the old.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:51 pm 

F.Natural wrote:
I still have no idea how to identify the new from the old.
They may have different matrix numbers and/or barcode if the stamper number is encoded in these.
As well, it is possible that the US and EU plants have received different stampers.
Do you know if your new copy is a US (UMe ZR 3849) or an EU (Universal Music Group International 0238492) edition?