Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:01 pm 

Because some idjit who (ab)uses the name of Anonymous hacked the GoDaddy web circuit, many customers of GoDaddy have found their sites and e-mail to be disfunctional.

This hacker attack means my ploeg.ws family web site, which hosts my sig pic and the Goose, is down. I hope this guy will be arrested and jailed for five years without a computer. Not just for the Goose, but for all the people who discover their web shops, site or e-mail is not working for an undefined period of time.

Last edited by BBP on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:18 pm 

Damn! That ain't right. Fuck that guy. :x

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:19 pm 

Bastards!

:smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:49 pm 

I don't like hackers either. :x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:48 am 

Well, the Goose is back, thank heavens. And now you can see my sig pic too!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:15 am 

You see BBP, you can't keep a good goose down

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:28 am 

They deserved to be hacked - and you deserve to be hacked into pieces for your selfish, self-absorbed, arrogant-idle-rich-person's disregard for freedom of communication.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:07 am 

Quote:
They deserved to be hacked - and you deserve to be hacked into pieces for your selfish, self-absorbed, arrogant-idle-rich-person's disregard for freedom of communication.

Because some SOB of GoDaddy says SOPA is a good idea (and later draws back because he finds people are leaving his company en masse) does not mean I support SOPA. In fact I'm at GoDaddy for reasons of low costs, which enables me to keep the costs and services of the Goose to 0. I wouldn't want to beg my Goose buddies for money just to keep on going.

You, Sir, have an apparent mental instability problem and I'll put you on my ignore list for that: forget about a discussion. Some hacking lowlife decided it was a good idea to cause problems to millions of people. As if it's "compulsory" to break open a contract and move server every time one of the owner says something stupid: by that logic, you shouldn't be on a ZFT-paid forum anymore. So please, get your sorry butt out of here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:04 am 

Because some SOB of GoDaddy says SOPA is a good idea (and later draws back because he finds people are leaving his company en masse) does not mean I support SOPA. In fact I'm at GoDaddy for reasons of low costs, which enables me to keep the costs and services of the Goose to 0. I wouldn't want to beg my Goose buddies for money just to keep on going.

You, Sir, have an apparent mental instability problem and I'll put you on my ignore list for that: forget about a discussion. Some hacking lowlife decided it was a good idea to cause problems to millions of people. As if it's "compulsory" to break open a contract and move server every time one of the owner says something stupid: by that logic, you shouldn't be on a ZFT-paid forum anymore. So please, get your sorry butt out of here.[/quote]

WELL SAID!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:34 am 

Intelligent protest takes more effort and, well, intelligence than most protesters are willing or able to commit to their cause. If you want to bring the people to your side, to get them to see your argument and join in your fight, you don't snipe at them from the trees. That just makes you the enemy of the people thereby leaving the field wide open to further abuses of rights by the very powers that you're protesting in the name of public safety. Sound familiar?

Example:

I'm pissed about rising fuel prices in this country. Is there a legitimate reason for it? Not really, unless unfettered greed has become legit. Should I start blowing up gas stations and refineries? Only if I want the public to demand that the government ramp up invasive security measures in the name of public safety. Only if I want to hand the oil companies a free ticket to fabricate retaliatory pricing structures based on productivity interruptions, shortages, the cost of increased security etc. In short, only if I want to jack the prices up and become enemy #1 of the people.

This kind of terrorism only spotlights the protesters' stupidity and short-sightedness and, in turn, casts a dark shadow over the protest.

What's the smart protest? I dunno. I'm not that smart. :(

Miasma!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:17 am 

Were you from the States? If you are, you might want to take a vacacion here, then if you'll go back, you'll be happy about your gas prices.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:23 am 

Just because someone lost 2 legs, doesn't mean I'd be happy losing 1 leg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:58 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Just because someone lost 2 legs, doesn't mean I'd be happy losing 1 leg.

The difference between gas prices and my legs is I'm emotionally and physically attached to my legs. I'd miss them a great deal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 am 

Sigh.

The point that I was trying, and obviously failed, to make was that engaging in something stupid and foolish as shutting down an internet system that is used by thousands of people who might have otherwise shared your outrage over internet controls makes as much sense as acts of terrorism against an oil company over fuel prices would. All you are doing is providing your 'oppressor' with more a more powerful position and alienating any potential allies to your cause.

And as for the price of gas, which really was just meant to be viewed as an example here, I do know how much more expensive it is in Europe than it is in Canada; with several possible mitigating factors being that many Europeans enjoy shorter commutes and much superior public transit systems than we do, that Canada does actually produce a significant quantity of crude oil and that Canada is a pretty damn big country with the majority of its' population hugging the south end of it making for a fairly long cross-country trip (about 4800 km, if you're a crow with a gps). :)

And more to the point, my example was based on the fact that our (and everybody's) fuel prices fluctuate wildly, for no real good reason at all. Here in 2008 they dropped as low as $.67/litre and today they are expected to hit $1.37/litre. That's enough to cloud anyone's judgement. :roll:

And for the record; I am not, nor have I ever been, an American.

I'm a Australian immigrant living in Canada complaining about stuff to anyone who doesn't have the sense or foresight to have a pressing engagement. :mrgreen:

Miasma!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:27 am 

Sam I Am wrote:
I'm a Australian immigrant living in Canada complaining about stuff to anyone who doesn't have the sense or foresight to have a pressing engagement. :mrgreen:

I can really identify with that!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:32 am 

Yeah I got that Sam, I just never got the nagging about gas prices. Then again, since I'm cross-eyed I'll never drive a car.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:47 am 

Doesn't appear that GoDaddy was hacked. Twas their own fault. Hackers thumping their chest over nothing.

see here for more: http://www.extremetech.com/internet/135 ... lly-hacked.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:50 am 

BBP wrote:
Yeah I got that Sam, I just never got the nagging about gas prices. Then again, since I'm cross-eyed I'll never drive a car.

No worries. If you drove a car you might feel a little hot about the fluctuating prices. It actually cost me $20 to fill my bike last week and I remember clearly spending less than $6 when I first got it. If beer prices did that I'd lose my shit... :roll:

Miasma!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:53 am 

Interesting article F. Both sides tend to be liars. Hmm.

Well Sam, you know me and bicycles too by now... Or shall I put my photos of my battered leg here? That one nearly killed activity on the Goose.