Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:41 pm 

I have been doing some reading online, and it seems that the near-consensus on the Rykodisc reissues of Zappa albums is that the original vinyl mixes are superior. I find this odd, as I greatly prefer the remix of Hot Rats.
I have the original LP, but I really do prefer the remix. Does anyone know if it's been released on vinyl? Or if there are plans to do so?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:31 am 

Tom Swift wrote:
I have been doing some reading online, and it seems that the near-consensus on the Rykodisc reissues of Zappa albums is that the original vinyl mixes are superior. I find this odd, as I greatly prefer the remix of Hot Rats.
I have the original LP, but I really do prefer the remix. Does anyone know if it's been released on vinyl? Or if there are plans to do so?

don't know if its been released on vinyl, but i also LOVE the remix of Hot rats, my ears are just getting used to the original but i do prefer the remix, and i am afraid to say i also love the remixed money but hate the ruben and the jets remix...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:08 am 

The remix! no contest!

Now, fuck off!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:48 am 

massagio wrote:
The remix! no contest!

Now, fuck off!!

Aren't you a nice person?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:26 am 

massagio wrote:
The remix! no contest!

Now, fuck off!!

uh no.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:03 pm 

Easy. The original. It's more dynamic, so it has to be!

...Right?...

Well, here's the thing...

It's hard for me to give an honest appraisal as to which is "better." The other day, I tried to pretend I had never heard either one and compared them back to back. And, after much deliberation and against my purist leanings, I'd have to award RYKO the victor. FZ knew how to best utilize whatever technology was available to him at the time, and the '87 mix just sounds fuller overall. Not to mention, the RYKO version has the extended version of The Gumbo Variations.

I do think the original sounds more "live." It also seems to have better instrument separation, IMO. I'm a drummer, too, so of course I am biased toward the "drums-up-front" mix of the original.

That said, the RYKO is the version I first heard (I'm a late bloomer) and enjoyed for years since. I think the original just sounds better right now since it's newer (to me, anyway) and so drastically different. My first exposure to the original mix was the 200g vinyl reissue from 2009 (the Bernie Grundman remaster). It blew me away.

I'm truly happy to finally have a digital version of both for posterity's sake.

Long story short? GET BOTH!! And, although it goes without saying, own it on vinyl!

Goddammit, I love Zappa!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:37 am 

massagio wrote:
The remix! no contest!

Now, fuck off!!

I feel this way about a few of the 2012 CD releases. Chunga's Revenge sounds better (to my ears) on the original Ryko release. The 2012 Chungas may be the original vinyl mix, but the high end is completely lost in the process compared to the FZ remix.

I do appreciate very much Gail and Co. re-releasing all the titles on CD, but in some cases the sound quality is worse than the remixing done when Frank was alive.

So what we have here is the Frank remixes vs. the Gail remixes. And Frank is winning on certain titles.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:25 pm 

hull534 wrote:
I feel this way about a few of the 2012 CD releases. Chunga's Revenge sounds better (to my ears) on the original Ryko release. The 2012 Chungas may be the original vinyl mix, but the high end is completely lost in the process compared to the FZ remix.

I do appreciate very much Gail and Co. re-releasing all the titles on CD, but in some cases the sound quality is worse than the remixing done when Frank was alive.

So what we have here is the Frank remixes vs. the Gail remixes. And Frank is winning on certain titles.

Can you be more specific as to which titles you think "Frank is winning on"?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:47 pm 

hull534 wrote:

Yes I'd Like To Know More Too . Of The 21 That I Have So Far There's Only One That I'd Call A Draw (Sleep Dirt) Just Because Having The Vocals IMO Is Awesome (Love The Original Without Them Too ).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 pm 

hull534 wrote:
massagio wrote:
The remix! no contest!

Now, fuck off!!

Cuckoo !!!!!

And incidentally: I have far more use for the Money remix than I ever will the Rats remix.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:33 pm 

hull534 wrote:
[…] Chunga's Revenge sounds better (to my ears) on the original Ryko release. The 2012 Chungas may be the original vinyl mix, but the high end is completely lost in the process compared to the FZ remix. […]

You should consult a doctor to get your ears checked then. Seriously.

Th.

Last edited by Thinman on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:33 am 

hull534 wrote:
Chunga's Revenge sounds better (to my ears) on the original Ryko release. The 2012 Chungas may be the original vinyl mix, but the high end is completely lost in the process compared to the FZ remix.

Let's see...

Original Ryko = Bad transfer with lots of digital reverb added, compression dropouts in the right channel, overly bright EQ, "smeared" stereo image

New Remaster = 24-bit master tape transfer with no additional processing, flat EQ like the original LP, clear wide stereo image

You can see how someone would think you are retarded. So the remaster has less treble...ever heard of a treble knob? Try turning it up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:31 am 

Wen D. Carlos wrote:
hull534 wrote:
Chunga's Revenge sounds better (to my ears) on the original Ryko release. The 2012 Chungas may be the original vinyl mix, but the high end is completely lost in the process compared to the FZ remix.

Let's see...

Original Ryko = Bad transfer with lots of digital reverb added, compression dropouts in the right channel, overly bright EQ, "smeared" stereo image

New Remaster = 24-bit master tape transfer with no additional processing, flat EQ like the original LP, clear wide stereo image

You can see how someone would think you are retarded. So the remaster has less treble...ever heard of a treble knob? Try turning it up.

+1 on dat!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:55 am 

Turning up the volume also helps. The less treble, the louder you can crank it without shattering glass.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:58 am 

Wen D. Carlos wrote:
Turning up the volume also helps. The less treble, the louder you can crank it without shattering glass.

Or your eardrums.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:50 pm 

The Rykodisc version is superior in my opinion! The original vinyl mix for the 2012 remaster sounds great, but the Rykodisc remix packs additional flourishes that sound so much more interesting to my ears. Both versions are essential, but I always listen to the Rykodisc version of Hot Rats.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:40 pm 

Both have something going on... but I love the '69 sound a bit more.

Chunga's.... holy shit it's a ton better. Noo comparison for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:12 pm 

I love how clear the original is and I wish I had that mix but with the extra gumbo stuff. I do love the Ryko as it is what I heard first.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:12 pm 

Mr. Romberg wrote:
The original vinyl mix for the 2012 remaster sounds great

Why does my cd say Bernie Grundman Mastering, 2008?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:49 pm 

Alcohol and a sharpie?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:54 pm 

I just looked it up myself which I could have done in the first place.

I'm sure it's old news to everyone here.....

The Hot Rats reissue from Universal, released this year (August 2012), has the original 1969 mix of the album. It is the same "transfer" or "remaster" (if those are the correct words) as Classic Records' vinyl reissue of Hot Rats in 2008, which also has the original 1969 mix.

If you look at the back covers of the 2012 Zappa CD reissues from Universal, they highlight Doug Sax or Bernie Grundman as mastering engineer and a 2012 date for the work. Except the Hot Rats CD notes Bernie Grundman with a 2008 date.

From a Q&A on zappa.com with Frank's wife, Gail Zappa:

[QUESTION:] 1-The Hot Rats CD has always been a 1987 re-mix, not the original 1969 mix. Is this new CD the `69 mix, or the `87 re-mix? I prefer either.

[GAIL:] 1. Technically none of the above – this is the 2008 Bernie Grundman Re-master – which mostly resembles the original 1969 mix. You will love it.