Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:57 pm 

The Flo & Eddie version of the MOI wasn't my all-time favorite Zappa band but they made some worthy contributions for the era. Although Kaylan's book won't be exclusively about his time with FZ, it'll be interesting to read his insights on 200 Motels and of course the falling-out after FZ's orchestra pit injury - FZ was pretty bitter about how those guys badmouthed him in the press for 'holding us back' when he was wheelchair bound in '72 although they later reconciled.

From the Amzaon book description:

Quote:
If Howard Kaylan had sung only one song, the Turtles' 1967 No. 1 smash hit "Happy Together," his place in rock-and-roll history would still be secure. But that recording, named in 1999 by BMI as one of the top 50 songs of the 20th century, with over five million radio plays, is only the tip of a rather eye-opening iceberg. For nearly five decades, Howard Kaylan has been a player in the rock-and-roll revolution in addition to his years with the Turtles, Kaylan was a core member of Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention at their peak a wild and dangerous ride that he is only too happy to report on, naming names and shedding shocking tales of sex, drugs, and creative excess, before he finds himself a part of glam rock history with Marc Bolan and T. Rex, and giving street cred and harmonies to everyone from John Lennon, Bruce Springsteen, and Alice Cooper to the Ramones, and Duran Duran, to name just a few. Among his memoirs, Shell Shocked will stand alone as not only one of the best told, but one with a truly candid and unmatchable story of rock-and-roll insanity and success from a man who glories in it all.

http://www.amazon.com/Shell-Shocked-Tur ... rank+zappa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 am 

I'm gonna buy that bastard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:39 pm 

thenoisydrum wrote:
I'm gonna buy that bastard

Me too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:56 pm 

Cut out the non-FZ stuff and I'll read it.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:49 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Cut out the non-FZ stuff and I'll read it.

I'll rip out all of the non-FZ pages when I've read it and mail you my copy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:07 pm 

:)

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:24 pm 

I'm in... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:48 pm 

I think we'll get a nice glimpse of what "life on the road" meant during this time. I used to subscribe to the Zappa newsletter "Society Pages" about 20 years ago and I recall an interview with Howard where he used the term "hellacious partying" to describe the band's existence in those days. I also recall the story of Frank hooking up with "Sweet Connie" the groupie immortalized in Grand Funk's "We're an American Band".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:29 am 

Exactly. I think it will be a great read throughout.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:19 am 

Howie was friends with Frank, or in the orbit, before AND after the Mothers, so....if written properly (?) ought to contain Frank sprinkled throughout. If HK is SMART, that is, and wants to sell books!

One time I saw F & E and they did a whole "History of..." presentation, with a manual slide show included. When they got to the Mothers portion they showed a lot of photos I haden't seen before or since. They started with a snap of THE BACK OF FRANK's head! And said: "You know who that is," and the crowd cheered. One click later and it was FZ's face, taken minutes after the back shot. I remember Mark jumping into the audience during Happy Together and he grabbed a bunch of us, spinning in a group circle, arms locked as he spat and sweated on me! Yuck!

That was at the Ritz in NYCity, maybe 1980?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:50 am 

Didn't Frank once make a rather nasty comment about them, something along the lines of "one can sing and the other is an ok tambourine player"?
I guess this was from the period when they started bad mouthing Frank.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:01 pm 

thenoisydrum wrote:
Didn't Frank once make a rather nasty comment about them, something along the lines of "one can sing and the other is an ok tambourine player"?

It was worse than that!!!! he said "...I regard Howard as a fine singer and Mark as a great tambourine player and fat person." from NME 17 April 1976

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:17 am 

vivalapsych wrote:
thenoisydrum wrote:

It was worse than that!!!! he said "...I regard Howard as a fine singer and Mark as a great tambourine player and fat person." from NME 17 April 1976

Priceless!
Sadly, now that I am OLD, Mark doesn't look all that fat to me! Nor does Oliver Hardy, Ralph Kramden, etc.
Someone told me about an interview where Frank layed into Gail for being such a fatty, but I've never seen it, been able to confirm. So with that in mind, a little dig at Mark is a whole lotta nuthin'.

My 7 year old said this to to me a couple months ago (inspiring me to lose weight):

"Some people look good fat, right Dad? Like YOU!"

Thank you, Sweety.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:25 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I think we'll get a nice glimpse of what "life on the road" meant during this time. I used to subscribe to the Zappa newsletter "Society Pages" about 20 years ago and I recall an interview with Howard where he used the term "hellacious partying" to describe the band's existence in those days. I also recall the story of Frank hooking up with "Sweet Connie" the groupie immortalized in Grand Funk's "We're an American Band".

Society Pages...ah, loved that fanzine!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:56 pm 

tweezers wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Society Pages...ah, loved that fanzine!

Yeah, it was really good. It was a really thick newsletter that actually had a stapled spine as I recall. Does anybody know what happened to those guys. I remember one of the guys was a San Francisco 49ers fan so I assume it was Bay Area based. The name Denn Simms comes to mind. Which is amazing because my ability to recall names these days is really getting bad. Does anybody know what happened to those guys.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:18 am 

vivalapsych wrote:
thenoisydrum wrote:

Presumably Mark had been doing most of the bad mouthing then.........

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:32 am 

Simms is correct (Den or Denn Simms). I wrote to them when the fanzine stopped and didn't get answers. These things cost money to produce as well as that most precious of commodities - time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:10 am 

Gonna buy this bastard.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:28 am 

You bet'cha! Should be a great read.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:43 am 

I'll buy this fucker, too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:44 am 

I think the point of Zappa's comment about him being a great tambourine player (and fat person) is that he'd just said that Howard was a fine singer.
I know the book won't answer my question as it was a statement by Zappa but was Mark inferior?
I don't want to start a slagging thing here and I respect and like both of them but I always took them as a duo and never thought about the talent being one-sided.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:07 am 

thenoisydrum wrote:
I think the point of Zappa's comment about him being a great tambourine player (and fat person) is that he'd just said that Howard was a fine singer.
I know the book won't answer my question as it was a statement by Zappa but was Mark inferior?
I don't want to start a slagging thing here and I respect and like both of them but I always took them as a duo and never thought about the talent being one-sided.

Frank had a tendency to shoot from the hip, and if you will excuse me for humanizing him somewhat, he liked to make controversial statements (it fit FZ's perfected self-image as an iconoclast and curmudgeon). He moved past the Flo and Eddie Mothers, and they had to find work. Maybe he wasn't happy that they might have sung a MOI song or two in their post Zappa act... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:21 am 

tweezers wrote:
thenoisydrum wrote:

Frank had a tendency to shoot from the hip, and if you will excuse me for humanizing him somewhat, he liked to make controversial statements (it fit FZ's perfected self-image as an iconoclast and curmudgeon). He moved past the Flo and Eddie Mothers, and they had to find work. Maybe he wasn't happy that they might have sung a MOI song or two in their post Zappa act... :roll:

I read a comment from FZ once that implied that they had badmouthed him after the accident - but I don't know what he was referring to. It's clear to me that FZ could sometimes be a very sweet and likable person and then turn sour. One member of the LSO described him as immensely talented, but a difficult man. Probably not far from the truth. Ole Lysgaard's story in the liner notes for Joe's Menage also comes to mind. It'll be interesting to read what Howard has to say!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:43 pm 

brainpang wrote:
vivalapsych wrote:
thenoisydrum wrote:

Priceless!
Sadly, now that I am OLD, Mark doesn't look all that fat to me! Nor does Oliver Hardy, Ralph Kramden, etc.
Someone told me about an interview where Frank layed into Gail for being such a fatty, but I've never seen it, been able to confirm. So with that in mind, a little dig at Mark is a whole lotta nuthin'.

My 7 year old said this to to me a couple months ago (inspiring me to lose weight):

"Some people look good fat, right Dad? Like YOU!"

Thank you, Sweety.....

i have met f and e this was maybe 25 years ago, and i didn't think he was really that fat. heavy set perhaps, but i am also built like frank, very thin. of course i don't live in l.a. where you HAVE to be thin

but it is kind of a blow coming from the man who sang " you won't even be ashamed if you are fat"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:53 pm 

I never found the the balance of talent between f & e off. they evened each other out. the perfect example of this is in the 1970 recording of "the air" which can be found on youtube. they brought an element together, that neither could alone.

I think frank was just angry that they would talk so poorly of him. it honestly breaks my heart that they split apart, f&e was my favorite mothers band. but obviously good things do come with change!