Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:17 pm 

KUIII wrote:
polydigm wrote:
I'm surrounded by would be comedians who should not give up their day jobs.

Well, OK. I've always wanted to document my life in some way for my children and maybe this would be good practice or even a rough draft. I think the best way would be to present installments. The serial KillUgly as it were. I have reservations about revealing too much about myself on the internet, but on the other hand, who gives a fuck (I can always leave out the dirty or embarrassing parts, right?). Thanks Sam I Am and Poly for the inspiration and Gail for the platform. I have actually considered the idea for a book about Zappa fans and make no doubt about it, Trendmonger would be among the main characters. Stay tuned for Chapter 1.

...and I of course would be the handsome ZappaFreak hero. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:22 pm 

KillUgly, Vol. 1: Pre-History to the Birth of KillUgly (1915-1961)

My Father was born in Crescent City, CA (on the coast near the Oregon border) in 1915. He had two slightly older brothers. They were orphaned at an early age. I believe the mother died and the father abandoned the family. My father said that on the birth certificates of the three boys the first name was listed as "Baby". The boys were separated at an early age. My Father was raised in Humboldt County, CA by what I assume were foster parents. The Cousineau family was one name I remember (of French descent I imagine) but I also remember visiting a black woman as a child who also had a hand in my father's upbringing (the black woman had a very large cat as I recall).

My Father reunited with his brothers in the early 1930's (during the height of the Great Depression) at the University of California at Davis (now home of Kapt. Kiirk). The three brothers studied the same major course work, Dairy Management, so that they could defray costs by sharing the same textbooks. My Dad graduated and went to work for a Dairy (I believe Borden's).

My Mother was born in 1921 in Oakland, CA. She had two older brothers. My parents told me I was of English, Irish, French, and Spanish descent. My Mother was particularly proud of her Spanish heritage and was able to travel there in her retirement years. I'm not sure how my parents met but they got married and eventually had my oldest brother (in 1945) while my Dad was in the Army during World War II. My Dad was stationed in Seattle, Washington for basic training. The only war story that I recall my father telling was when he was in Okinawa when a Hurricane came through. He said he jumped into a tank to avoid the storm. My young mind hearing the word "tank" in a war context thought of a vehicle with a big cannon on the front. What I eventually learned was that the "tank" he was referring to was some kind of storage vessel.

After the war, a second brother (born 1947?) and the family lived in Northern California (near where I was born) for a time raising olives. In the early '50s (my Sister was born in 1951 and another brother in 1956) my Father was among 81 World War II Veteran lottery winners to receive a homestead in Yuma, Arizona to raise Alfalfa. This is documented in this book (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_noss?url ... mesteaders) with a chapter devoted to my family on page 287. Eventually my family moved back to Northern California to raise olives again. KillUgly was born in Oroville, CA in 1961.

(Stay Tuned for Vol. 2 - The Pre-School Years)

Last edited by KUIII on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:40 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KUIII wrote:
polydigm wrote:
I'm surrounded by would be comedians who should not give up their day jobs.

Well, OK. I've always wanted to document my life in some way for my children and maybe this would be good practice or even a rough draft. I think the best way would be to present installments. The serial KillUgly as it were. I have reservations about revealing too much about myself on the internet, but on the other hand, who gives a fuck (I can always leave out the dirty or embarrassing parts, right?). Thanks Sam I Am and Poly for the inspiration and Gail for the platform. I have actually considered the idea for a book about Zappa fans and make no doubt about it, Trendmonger would be among the main characters. Stay tuned for Chapter 1.

...and I of course would be the handsome ZappaFreak hero. :mrgreen:

Yeah, absolutely there would be a big chapter devoted to Kapt. Kiirk. I guess I'd have to give Diesel Dummy, etc. about seven chapters. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:02 pm 

7 to 1 eh? Nevermind,all rights revoked.You're a sick man KUIII! :twisted: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:17 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
7 to 1 eh? Nevermind,all rights revoked.You're a sick man KUIII! :twisted: :mrgreen:

No, no! I need your cooperation or I will have no credibility. I'll even name the book after you. Or at least put you in the subtitle.

ZAPPA FREAKS: Kiirks, Kooks, and Plooks! (copyright 2012 KillUgly Enterprises)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:42 am 

KUIII wrote:
ZAPPA FREAKS: Kiirks, Kooks, and Plooks! (copyright 2012 KillUgly Enterprises)

Jebus, one of each is enough! :mrgreen:

Miasma!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:52 am 

KUIII wrote:
This is documented in this book (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_noss?url ... mesteaders) with a chapter devoted to my family on page 287. Eventually my family moved back to Northern California to raise olives again. KillUgly was born in Oroville, CA in 1961.

This is very cool. You have a copy of this book I hope? It's unfortunate how much of 20th century history falls between the cracks or gets eclipsed by the Big Events.

Miasma!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:16 pm 

Born '66...blah, blah, blah...germany...blah, blah, blah...i am a bastard, literally!...blah, blah, blah... pretty deranged mind, while not exactly wild-man-fisher-deranged ...blah, blah, blah... wondering anyway, how much people here live in a much more stable way than i does...blah, blah, blah... i appreciate that but expected more misantroph mysogynic sociopaths as i am...blah, blah, blah... superior intelligent...blah, blah, blah...very visual type, no musical talent...blah, blah, blah...not easy to be deranged 25years old but far less easy still being a Peter Pan when nearly 50 years old, very good understanding of FZs phrase "i'm doing it for 30 years and they still got'nt caught me yet"...blah, blah, blah...to be continued or not to be
:wink:
Anyway, thanks poly for opening this interesting thread and also all contributors, very interesting reads!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:04 pm 

I'm glad that most people here seem to be getting the intent of this thread. It's not prescribed in any way. Just say as little or as much as you like. I started it to present where I'm at now in reaction to a particularly nasty post elsewhere, but I made it a separate thread just in case it could be more than that and I'm glad that it's turning out to be an ongoing conversation.

If you just wanted to asks the abstract question "What is the typical Zappa Fan like?", I think the the answer would have to be - at the bare minimum - a person who is not easily content with the status quo, a person who looks further than the accepted wallpaper of life and more than anything a person who is not afraid to make their own decisions and is proud of being an individual. I've lost count of the times I've been referred to as a freak. In my last secondary teaching contract I was employed as a maths teacher, which is my teaching speciality. My christmas card from the maths coordinator had a picture of mickey mouse on the front. Talk about upside down. I like talking about maths and challenging philosophical questions - sharing a room with 5 other maths teachers including the coordinator - and that makes me mickey mouse? I had more mature and engaging discussions with my students. Needless to say, I have now permanently resigned from the secondary education system and am now back working and studying at university.

What I'm finding interesting here is some of the overlapping themes. I've just read KUIII's thing. My Father's Father was an orphan, not in the sense of no parents, but in the sense of parents with too many kids already. He was raised in the Gordon Home for Boys in the UK. As an adult he met up with his siblings. I don't know much about it but there must have been some resent. He fell in love and married a middle class woman who was ostracised by her family for marrying beneath her station. When my Father was 18, they were living in a ground floor flat in London during the blitz. Bombs from planes don't fall down in a straight line and when one landed in one side of their flat during the night, the side where his parents' bedroom was situated, my Father woke up, still in his bed but literally transported into the neighbouring flat, eventually to discover that his parents had been pretty much vaporised. A life changing event.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:55 pm 

My mother told me once of one of her earliest memories as a child. Apparently they had a perfectly good bomb shelter at the bottom of the garden but for some reason, I suppose convenience and fear being the most obvious, the family all huddled under the dining room table instead when the air raid sirens went off. She said she remembered my uncle, her older brother, getting stroppy and crawling out to play with his toys and getting covered in plaster dust. I still can't imagine the reality of it. Apparently the bomb shelter was never used for anything but a root cellar.

Miasma!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:40 pm 

ZappaFreaks are like me. :wink: 8) :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:14 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
ZappaFreaks are like me. :wink: 8) :D

I'm sorry Kapt. but you are one of a kind, my brother. :!:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:17 pm 

Sam I Am wrote:
KUIII wrote:
This is documented in this book (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_noss?url ... mesteaders) with a chapter devoted to my family on page 287. Eventually my family moved back to Northern California to raise olives again. KillUgly was born in Oroville, CA in 1961.

This is very cool. You have a copy of this book I hope? It's unfortunate how much of 20th century history falls between the cracks or gets eclipsed by the Big Events.

I don't have a copy yet but two of my brothers do. I just found out about it. One of them sent some documents and photos to contribute to the book.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:52 pm 

KillUgly, Vol. 2 - The Pre-School Years (1961-1966)

I spent my entire adolescence on the same Olive Ranch outside of Oroville in a large white house that was built in 1913. My earliest memories are of me in the crib in my parents room hearing a pounding noise like footsteps coming down the hall. I was scared. I think this was the sound of my own heartbeat.

The best story from this period was when I was in my highchair at the kitchen table when brother #2 (probably about 15 at the time) decided to show everybody how strong he was by lifting me in the chair off the ground. The chair tilted forward and I slid through the tray forward onto a glass on the kitchen table. The glass broke and cut an artery in my neck. So Baby KillUgly is on the kitchen table bleeding all over the place with a hole in his neck. I imagine this freaked everybody out quite a bit, especially my brother. They rushed me to the hospital and sewed everything up OK I guess. The story is that people have two main arteries going up through your neck. Some people have a connecting artery between the two, some don't. I had the connecting artery and that's what was cut, so they just tied that off and now they are not connected anymore. I have no recollection of this incident but there are still prominent scars on my neck and chin where I was cut and stitched up. I suppose this is the closest I have ever come to dying - so far.

Before I was four, Brothers #1 and #2 had both fathered sons (at 19 and 17 years of age respectively) leading to early marriages for both. Brother #1's marriage has lasted until this day while Brother #2's was very short lived (#2 remarried later and has had a very long marriage as well).

Well, that's about it for the preschool years except this. I had a favorite song. It was a children's novelty song that I had on a little record that I played on a little record player. It was called "Filbert the Frog". I loved that song. I've searched for it on the internet but I haven't seen mention of it anywhere. If anybody has this please send a copy my way.

Next Up - KillUgly Goes to School - The Elementary Years (1966-1973)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:10 pm 

I wore my guns and cowboy outfit to the first day of kindergarten.I ended up shooting alot of "varments" that day! :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:03 pm 

KillUgly, Vol. 3, Chapter 1, Kindergarten

Kindergarten is notable for a few things. I found a "best friend". Since I lived in a rural area without many children around I was fortunate to find this friend. He lived about a mile away from me and his family became friends with our family at about the same time.

At kindergarten my friend and I were bad boys. We refused to ride the tricycles that they made available to our class because we could already ride two-wheelers. We also had our eyes on the same girl - Holly. At the beginning of class we sat on chairs in a circle. We could sit anywhere we wanted but it had to be "boy - girl - boy - girl". My friend and I always conspired to have Holly sit between us - and we usually succeeded (boo yeah!).

My immense talents were also recognized at this age as I was chosen to play the lead in our Christmas play. I was cast as Santa Claus. Then again, maybe I was chosen because I was the fattest kid in the class. Anyway, I remember reciting these famous lines "Gee, I think I need to check on my reindeer".

Another noteworthy incident concerned some of my early artwork. I remember at painting time me and my friend both decided it would be good and /or funny if we painted guys with big penises pissing big puddles of pee. Funny they didn't say anything to me at school but they obviously called my parents who reprimanded me at home. I remember being "pissed off" :lol: when my parents brought this up on the home front. I immediately went off to my room and, in defiance, drew another smaller version of somebody pissing.

Fashion-wise a big moment was when I got one of those yellow rain coats that had the pull-over hood that you see mariners have.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:17 pm 

I told Sherry Boron to stop calling me Kirky Turkey or I'd punch her in the stomach.(they took my guns away or I would have capped her) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:53 am 

I was a particularly annoying kid - in fact, like my eldest son, I think I probably had some form of Asperger Syndrome.
A story that goes the rounds in family history is of one family visit to the pantomime. Even at the age of 6 I found pantomime pretty dull, the one thing that really interested me was the fact that the leading female character - the witch - was played by a man, Cyril Fletcher (if you're English you'll remember him from the dreadful "That's Life").
At the end of the show, kids were asked if they wanted to come on stage. I immediately rushed from my seat and climbed onstage.
A cake was produced out of midair by a fairy and I immediately announced, "I want the biigest bit!"
When asked what my favourite song was, I immediately yodelled "Tarzan" and threw myself across the stage. By this time my parents sitting in the audience are hearing comments like: "What a dreadful little boy" and "I blame the parents!"
To finish off, we were all granted one wish. I wished the witch back on stage. She/he appeared in a puff of smoke and I stepped forward, lifted up his/her dress and announced to the audience, "You're not a woman, you're a man!".

I also had a propensity for running away to graveyards, only to be returned home by the police, going up to people of Jamaican extraction in public transport and loudly declaiming, "I like black people much more than white people!", waking up my favourite uncle and aunt in the morning by throwing metal toy cars in their faces, beating other boys up because they dressed too tidily and, in the company of my two best friends, unexpectedly stealing comics i.e. without warning, I would rush out of the newsagents, comic in hand, leaving them to talk to the shop owners.

I've calmed down a bit since then, though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:53 am 

I was a particularly annoying kid - in fact, like my eldest son, I think I probably had some form of Asperger Syndrome.
A story that goes the rounds in family history is of one family visit to the pantomime. Even at the age of 6 I found pantomime pretty dull, the one thing that really interested me was the fact that the leading female character - the witch - was played by a man, Cyril Fletcher (if you're English you'll remember him from the dreadful "That's Life").
At the end of the show, kids were asked if they wanted to come on stage. I immediately rushed from my seat and climbed onstage.
A cake was produced out of midair by a fairy and I immediately announced, "I want the biigest bit!"
When asked what my favourite song was, I immediately yodelled "Tarzan" and threw myself across the stage. By this time my parents sitting in the audience are hearing comments like: "What a dreadful little boy" and "I blame the parents!"
To finish off, we were all granted one wish. I wished the witch back on stage. She/he appeared in a puff of smoke and I stepped forward, lifted up his/her dress and announced to the audience, "You're not a woman, you're a man!".

I also had a propensity for running away to graveyards, only to be returned home by the police, going up to people of Jamaican extraction in public transport and loudly declaiming, "I like black people much more than white people!", waking up my favourite uncle and aunt in the morning by throwing metal toy cars in their faces, beating other boys up because they dressed too tidily and, in the company of my two best friends, unexpectedly stealing comics i.e. without warning, I would rush out of the newsagents, comic in hand, leaving them to talk to the shop owners.

Reinstated by popular demand...

Last edited by Caputh on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:18 pm 

Doubling down???

:smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:11 pm 

I'm obvously still subconsciously still out to annoy - how that double post happened I do not know! :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:49 am 

Caputh wrote:

Caputh wrote:
I'm obvously still subconsciously still out to annoy - how that double post happened I do not know! :oops:

I thought you did that on purpose! It fit and made me laugh,I thought you were doing a parady of Trendmonger! Brilliance was just a double post.....el bummo.
I was a paticularly annoying kid..... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:13 am 

I thought the same thing... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:41 am 

KU3 I love your book-like sections!

There are a few books which mention my family members: the most notable instance was Franciscus Lodewijk Ploeg, whose rioting was mentioned in a book about the neighborhood he lived in. He was sent to the turf colonies in the north-east of The Netherlands as punishment. We know a lot about him, such as the length of his ears.

A bigger family fame moment came in September 2005, when two of my cousins, Monique and Sabrina, took part in the Dutch Big Brother 5. For those who want to know: yes, it is a scam.
My two cousins are pretty and friendly blonde ladies, but who unfortunately don't have much in the upstairs department. Occasionally I'd read TV reviews where the author was having fun at their expense ("What do you call one of these again? A placemat or a playmate? Placemat sounds so weird... let's see... I go to the store and buy a... Placemate! It's a placemate!"), it ruined the marriage of one of them (imagine all your colleagues at work watching your wife cheat on you on TV) and it didn't get them a dime.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:15 am 

BBP wrote:

There are a few books which mention my family members: the most notable instance was Franciscus Lodewijk Ploeg, whose rioting was mentioned in a book about the neighborhood he lived in. He was sent to the turf colonies in the north-east of The Netherlands as punishment. We know a lot about him, such as the length of his ears.

a) What was he rioting about?
b) Was he rioting solo?
c) What are the turf colonies?
d) How big were his ears, then?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next