Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:41 pm 

I have the vast majority of FZ releases on vinyl. I was wondering if there was an easy way (list on a website somewhere etc.), or if anyone could provide me with a list of which albums were remixed or changed by FZ when released on CD. I would like to acquire both versions. Any help would be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:46 pm 

Look no further...

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/index.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:21 pm 

The Rykodisc versions have the 'FZ approved masters' while many of the 2012 reissues have the vinyl mixes. The Lukpac site is helpful, but slightly out of date.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:09 pm 

zomby'sprog wrote:
The Rykodisc versions have the 'FZ approved masters' while many of the 2012 reissues have the vinyl mixes. The Lukpac site is helpful, but slightly out of date.

He has been updating it to cover the remasters.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:11 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
zomby'sprog wrote:

I've seen your name on the site. I've written the site to add my opinions and I've not gotten a response.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:31 pm 

zomby'sprog wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
zomby'sprog wrote:

I've seen your name on the site. I've written the site to add my opinions and I've not gotten a response.

The guy who runs it is very very busy. He hasn't added any personal comments to the site in a long time. Just basic info about the new stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:42 pm 

Wen D. Carlos wrote:
zomby'sprog wrote:

The guy who runs it is very very busy. He hasn't added any personal comments to the site in a long time. Just basic info about the new stuff.

Makes sense, we're all busy. However, the personal comments are a nice touch and I was only trying to help fellow Zappaphiles.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:21 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
I have the vast majority of FZ releases on vinyl. I was wondering if there was an easy way (list on a website somewhere etc.), or if anyone could provide me with a list of which albums were remixed or changed by FZ when released on CD. I would like to acquire both versions. Any help would be much appreciated!

Here is my attempt at a shortcut for you.

Freak Out! - Different mixes of "Hungry Freaks, Daddy", "Who Are The Brain Police?", and "Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet". (All CDs. Vinyl mix on MOFO releases.)

We're Only In It For The Money - Complete remix. Re-recorded bass and drums with Arthur Barrow and Chad Wackerman respectively. Uncensored. (Available on Ryko two-fer with Lumpy Gravy and Lumpy Money. Standalone CDs contain the vinyl mix.)

Cruising With Ruben And The Jets - Complete remix. Re-recorded bass and drums with Arthur Barrow and Chad Wackerman respectively. (All CDs. Vinyl mix on Greasy Love Songs.)

Uncle Meat - Added three tracks related to the Uncle Meat film. Two are film dialogue. The other is a song called "Tengo Na Minchia Tanta" recorded in the early eighties. "Mr. Green Genes" is a remix, as well. (All CDs.)

Hot Rats - Complete remix. Extended "The Gumbo Variations" by about four minutes. (All Ryko CDs. 2012 CDs contain the vinyl mix.)

Weasels Ripped My Flesh - "Didja Get Any Onya" is extended by about three minutes. (All Ryko CDs. 2012 CDs contain the vinyl edit.)

Apostrophe(') - Stereo mixdown of the Quadraphonic mix. (Ryko two-fer CD with Over-nite Sensation, Japanese mini-LP CD, and standard Ryko standalone CDs that weren't mispressed with the Au20 mix. Long story.)

Roxy & Elsewhere - Remix of "Cheepnis". (All Ryko and 2012 CDs. Some Barking Pumpkin CDs.)

Zappa In New York - "Titties & Beer" is extended. "Punky's Whips" is restored. Four additional bonus tracks: "Cruising For Burgers" (instrumental), "I'm The Slime" (featuring Don Pardo), "A Pound For A Brown", and "The Torture Never Stops". (All CDs.)

Studio Tan - Remix of "The Adventures Of Greggary Peccary". (Barking Pumpkin and Ryko CDs. 2012 CDs contain the vinyl mix.)

Sleep Dirt - Added female vocals to "Flambay", "Spider Of Destiny", and "Time Is Money". Replaced Chester Thompson's with Chad Wackman's on those tracks and, on many CDs, "Regyptian Strut", as well. (Barking Pumpkin and Ryko CDs. 2012 CDs contain the vinyl mix.)

The Man From Utopia - Complete remix. One additional track: "Luigi & The Wise Guys". (All standalone CDs. UK EMI two-fer with Drowning Witch contains the vinyl mix except for "Moggio".)

Baby Snakes - Spoken intro by Warren Cuccarullo added. (All CDs. Note: It's in the film, too.)

London Symphony Orchestra - Complete remix. (All 2-disc versions.)

Boulez Conducts Zappa: The Perfect Stranger - Complete remix. "The Girl In The Magnesium Dress" re-recorded. (All CDs except for the UK EMI. The EMI CD contains the vinyl mix.)

Them Or Us - Title track is extended by 14 seconds. (1995 Ryko CD only. Don't get this. It's not worth it.)

Thing-Fish - Three songs segue rather than end/fade out. "Wistful With A Fist-full" is a different take. Johnny "Guitar" Watson commentary added over "He's So Gay". Slightly different intro figure for "Prologue". (All CDs manufactured after 1990. Eighties Ryko CDs did not have the last two changes. UK EMI CD contains the vinyl mix.)

Does Humor Belong In Music? - CD only release. EMI and Ryko CDs contain different mixes.

Guitar - Contains 13 additional tracks.

Broadway The Hard Way - Contains 8 additional tracks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:30 pm 

dlokazip wrote:
cory1984 wrote:

Also BWTHW CD's Don't include everything that's on the vinyl issue IIRC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:03 pm 

Zappafan67 wrote:
dlokazip wrote:
cory1984 wrote:

Also BWTHW CD's Don't include everything that's on the vinyl issue IIRC

That's true of many of the CDs. I was simply approaching this from the standpoint of which CDs presented something different if someone had all of the vinyl.

For instance, if you have the Fillmore East LP, you're not going to see the point of getting a version whose only variation is that it is missing one track (not to mention, that it has shitty sound quality). Getting one with all of the tracks is enough.

The selling point of a different version is not that it is missing something. Rather, it is that it has a different mix/edit or additional material.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:39 am 

dlokazip wrote:
cory1984 wrote:

Here is my attempt at a shortcut for you.

Freak Out! - Different mixes of "Hungry Freaks, Daddy", "Who Are The Brain Police?", and "Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet". (All CDs. Vinyl mix on MOFO releases.)

We're Only In It For The Money - Complete remix. Re-recorded bass and drums with Arthur Barrow and Chad Wackerman respectively. Uncensored. (Available on Ryko two-fer with Lumpy Gravy and Lumpy Money. Standalone CDs contain the vinyl mix.)

Cruising With Ruben And The Jets - Complete remix. Re-recorded bass and drums with Arthur Barrow and Chad Wackerman respectively. (All CDs. Vinyl mix on Greasy Love Songs.)

Uncle Meat - Added three tracks related to the Uncle Meat film. Two are film dialogue. The other is a song called "Tengo Na Minchia Tanta" recorded in the early eighties. "Mr. Green Genes" is a remix, as well. (All CDs.)

Hot Rats - Complete remix. Extended "The Gumbo Variations" by about four minutes. (All Ryko CDs. 2012 CDs contain the vinyl mix.)

Weasels Ripped My Flesh - "Didja Get Any Onya" is extended by about three minutes. (All Ryko CDs. 2012 CDs contain the vinyl edit.)

Apostrophe(') - Stereo mixdown of the Quadraphonic mix. (Ryko two-fer CD with Over-nite Sensation, Japanese mini-LP CD, and standard Ryko standalone CDs that weren't mispressed with the Au20 mix. Long story.)

Roxy & Elsewhere - Remix of "Cheepnis". (All Ryko and 2012 CDs. Some Barking Pumpkin CDs.)

Zappa In New York - "Titties & Beer" is extended. "Punky's Whips" is restored. Four additional bonus tracks: "Cruising For Burgers" (instrumental), "I'm The Slime" (featuring Don Pardo), "A Pound For A Brown", and "The Torture Never Stops". (All CDs.)

Studio Tan - Remix of "The Adventures Of Greggary Peccary". (Barking Pumpkin and Ryko CDs. 2012 CDs contain the vinyl mix.)

Sleep Dirt - Added female vocals to "Flambay", "Spider Of Destiny", and "Time Is Money". Replaced Chester Thompson's with Chad Wackman's on those tracks and, on many CDs, "Regyptian Strut", as well. (Barking Pumpkin and Ryko CDs. 2012 CDs contain the vinyl mix.)

The Man From Utopia - Complete remix. One additional track: "Luigi & The Wise Guys". (All standalone CDs. UK EMI two-fer with Drowning Witch contains the vinyl mix except for "Moggio".)

Baby Snakes - Spoken intro by Warren Cuccarullo added. (All CDs. Note: It's in the film, too.)

London Symphony Orchestra - Complete remix. (All 2-disc versions.)

Boulez Conducts Zappa: The Perfect Stranger - Complete remix. "The Girl In The Magnesium Dress" re-recorded. (All CDs except for the UK EMI. The EMI CD contains the vinyl mix.)

Them Or Us - Title track is extended by 14 seconds. (1995 Ryko CD only. Don't get this. It's not worth it.)

Thing-Fish - Three songs segue rather than end/fade out. "Wistful With A Fist-full" is a different take. Johnny "Guitar" Watson commentary added over "He's So Gay". Slightly different intro figure for "Prologue". (All CDs manufactured after 1990. Eighties Ryko CDs did not have the last two changes. UK EMI CD contains the vinyl mix.)

Does Humor Belong In Music? - CD only release. EMI and Ryko CDs contain different mixes.

Guitar - Contains 13 additional tracks.

dlokazip, I appreciate you taking the time to make this list, makes things much more simple. :mrgreen: