Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: He's So Gay Mixes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:47 pm 

I've heard two versions: the one with Johnny Guitar Watson adding commentary and one without. Can someone tell me which version is used on the Thing Fish album? Thanks! :)

Post subject: Re: He's So Gay Mixes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:36 am 

why don't you buy it and find out?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:40 am 

well,i t depends on which version of Thing-Fish you mean
on the vinyl and some of the older CD versions, there is version without Watson commentary. Watson commentary is present on newer Ryko editions of TF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:20 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

He's So Very, Very Unhelpful.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:08 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

I was planning on it when the reissue is released! :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:10 am 

who would buy that album twice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:21 am 

I was only asking because I'd like the version without the commentary so I thought I'd ask before I bought the wrong one!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:36 am 

adverb wrote:

Me, apparently. Vinyl, then CD.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:36 am 

just plain doug wrote:
adverb wrote:

Snap :lol: I had no choice then give the Vinyl away kept the big booklet :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:42 am 

beajerkgotowork wrote:
I was only asking because I'd like the version without the commentary so I thought I'd ask before I bought the wrong one!

The new one will have the commentary.

If you want the original mix of "He's So Gay" without the commentary, you will need to either buy the LP, the cassette, the UK EMI CD, or a US Ryko CD that was manufactured in the 80's (which is difficult to identify without listening to it).

Also, Have I Offended Someone? has a remix of the song without the Watson commentary. That CD will be released at the end of November.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:43 am 

just plain doug wrote:
adverb wrote:

I bought it three times: CD, vinyl, and cassette.

The cassette cost me $1 US, though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:28 am 

adverb wrote:

Add me to the list. Is their hate for this album? I always enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:20 pm 

dlokazip wrote:
Also, Have I Offended Someone? has a remix of the song without the Watson commentary. That CD will be released at the end of November.

Great! I'll get that one! Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:15 pm 

beajerkgotowork wrote:
dlokazip wrote:

Great! I'll get that one! Thanks! :)

That is my recommendation. It's a single disc with several alternate takes. It's easier to acquire and a better value than trying to find another, older copy of Thing-Fish.

Besides, you already have the original mix. It's just got Johnny Guitar Watson talking over it. One of Frank's lazier modifications.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:13 am 

What about the alternative version of Wistful Wit A Fistful (the difference is obvious from the "tuggin' on heartstrings" point onwards)

I s'pose its too much to hope that that'll go back into circulation (by any means other than P2P)?!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:39 am 

Probably. Not a lot of demand for that one. I'm sure a lot of people don't even notice the difference.

At least in the UK, you can try to locate an old EMI CD. Here in the States, that version was only released on vinyl.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:49 pm 

dlokazip wrote:

That is my recommendation. It's a single disc with several alternate takes. It's easier to acquire and a better value than trying to find another, older copy of Thing-Fish.

Yes, and plus I have to say, I hate Thing Fish with a passion. The only songs I can enjoy on it are Brown Moses and He's So Gay. The version with the commentary annoys the fuck out of me! :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:56 pm 

beajerkgotowork wrote:
dlokazip wrote:

Yes, and plus I have to say, I hate Thing Fish with a passion. The only songs I can enjoy on it are Brown Moses and He's So Gay. The version with the commentary annoys the fuck out of me! :evil:

Yeah, not one of my favorites to be perfectly honest. Virtually unlistenable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:02 pm 

beajerkgotowork wrote:
dlokazip wrote:

Well, I love Thing-Fish and the version with the commentary annoys the fuck out of me. :mrgreen:

Truth is, you don't even need Thing-Fish. Just get HIOS and You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 4 and you're done. The latter has live versions of "Brown Moses" and the "Evil Prince" section of "The Torchum Never Stops". Sure, it's Ike and Ray instead of Johnny "Guitar" Watson on "Brown Moses" but the rendition is very good. You might find that those songs are a lot better when they are separated from the album as a whole.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:18 pm 

dlokazip wrote:
beajerkgotowork wrote:
dlokazip wrote:

Well, I love Thing-Fish and the version with the commentary annoys the fuck out of me. :mrgreen:

Truth is, you don't even need Thing-Fish. Just get HIOS and You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 4 and you're done. The latter has live versions of "Brown Moses" and the "Evil Prince" section of "The Torchum Never Stops". Sure, it's Ike and Ray instead of Johnny "Guitar" Watson on "Brown Moses" but the rendition is very good. You might find that those songs are a lot better when they are separated from the album as a whole.

the Evil Prince on vol 4 is killer. I enjoy the Thing-Fish album, but the YCDTOSA Vol 4 version of Evil Prince kills anything on the T-F album. An amazing performance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:27 pm 

i think people who hate Thing-Fish are pussies that, probably due to subconscious liberal gulit, can't stand to listen the rascist black caricature that is the character Thing-Fish. i'll admit, when i first heard this album that King-Fish voice offended (i guess, for lack of better word) me. one thing to remember is FZ didn't create this voice it's from an old radio show during a time where racial issues were vastly different that today. the appropriation of this voice isn't, i don't think, to laugh at how funny black people talk; it's satirical commentary.

lyrically that album is fantastic satirical commentary on many things that most people didn't really have the guts to comment on. Frank touches on so many hot-button issues like the Tuskeegee Syphilis Experiment/the AIDS epidemic, gender roles, critics, homosexuality, feminism, Al Jolson and racism just to name a few. but what is FZ's opinion on these things? you may be asking yourself. the thing about art is it's up to you to figure it out for yourself. if you're too stupid to figure out, or research, what the hell Ike Willis is singing about in that funny voice then i don't know what to tell you. and it is Zappa so at least the music is untouchably bad ass, right?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:49 pm 

myourself wrote:
i think people who hate Thing-Fish are pussies that, probably due to subconscious liberal gulit, can't stand to listen the rascist black caricature that is the character Thing-Fish.

I agree with nearly everything in your post, even though I don't like the album. The reason why I don't like it is that most of it is recycled music and what isn't, isn't all that engaging to me and leaves the narration to take the focus. Its a brilliant concept, yes, but I find it hard to listen to, because its not what I'm looking for in music. I'm in no way offended by the character of Thing Fish and I do find it humorous in small doses, but I'd much rather hear his classical offerings of the period. I'm glad you enjoy it, though.

Also, I agree that "Brown Moses" and "Evil Prince" from Vol 4 are incredible. I wish that the later were done with the same gusto that was on the live versions, but I do love the gospel Brown Moses on the studio version.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:43 am 

zomby'sprog wrote:

Also, I agree that "Brown Moses" and "Evil Prince" from Vol 4 are incredible. I wish that the later were done with the same gusto that was on the live versions, but I do love the gospel Brown Moses on the studio version.

I just went back and listened to this. I had forgotten that Frank himself joins Ray and Ike on "Brown Moses". Also, Bobby has some good vocal contributions to "The Evil Prince".

No offense to Nappy, but Ray OWNS "The Evil Prince". By the time the Vol. 4 version was recorded, Frank finally figured out the right arrangement for that song. Ray just shines on this one. Ike and Bobby sound great and come in at just the right times, but Ray just sounds incredible.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:41 pm 

myourself wrote:
i think people who hate Thing-Fish are pussies that, probably due to subconscious liberal gulit, can't stand to listen the rascist black caricature that is the character Thing-Fish.

This is in no way at all why I hate Thing Fish. I actually like the concept I just think the music (and the lack of music) is just plain bad. That's it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:45 pm 

beajerkgotowork wrote:
myourself wrote:

This is in no way at all why I hate Thing Fish. I actually like the concept I just think the music (and the lack of music) is just plain bad. That's it.

Agreed.