Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: attention elp fans
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:09 pm 

deluxe editions of emerson, lake and palmer and tarkus are scheduled to be released tuesday, september 11, 2012. these editions feature 5.1 surround mixes of the albums done by steven wilson.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ywords=elp

>You don't.

Post subject: Re: attention elp fans
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:08 pm 

I've had them since Aug. 30. Be aware the surround mix of the first album is not the whole album. Among other things, no "Tank".
I posted the covers on the "Last non Zappa Album you bought?? Phaze II" thread, if you wanna check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:29 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
I've had them since Aug. 30. Be aware the surround mix of the first album is not the whole album. Among other things, no "Tank".
I posted the covers on the "Last non Zappa Album you bought?? Phaze II" thread, if you wanna check it out.

thanks doug! i also see that only one of the "three fates" is present. is any explanation provided? like, were the other two fates busy or something? they couldn't make it?

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:56 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

thanks doug! i also see that only one of the "three fates" is present. is any explanation provided? like, were the other two fates busy or something? they couldn't make it?

Some original master tapes went missing, somewhere, somewhen...
Also..."Knife-Edge" had a tape slowdown at the end, which couldn't be duplicated digitally, so since there was an extra minute, or so, of music that was cut off by the slowdown, Steve just let the song continue on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:51 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
sleeping in a jar wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Some original master tapes went missing, somewhere, somewhen...
Also..."Knife-Edge" had a tape slowdown at the end, which couldn't be duplicated digitally, so since there was an extra minute, or so, of music that was cut off by the slowdown, Steve just let the song continue on.

Kind of a rip-off, huh?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:43 pm 

zomby'sprog wrote:
Kind of a rip-off, huh?

I don't know if it's a rip-off. If you read the cover, you know what's on it...but, I was really looking forward to a 5.1 "Tank"! Still, the original album has been remastered, so it sounds real cool. And the other 5.1 stuff is real cool, too. I just wanted "Tank" in 5.1 (gripe, gripe, groan, groan)
"Tarkus", though, is completely in 5.1, with lots of swirly stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:46 am 

just plain doug wrote:

It's missing one piece?

You're kidding me!

But I'm not surprised! In those days, some of these tapes and such were not handled with the care that they should have been, and it is a wonder that Robert Fripp had the insight to save these and keep them. Too many groups, that were slaves to the record companies did not have control of these and will never have the album cleaned up.

I imagine that both of these albums sound magnificent by Steven's hands but it is sad, that not all of them can be handled. But it tells you what some of these record companies thought of the musicians and the music!

It's still like that!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:38 am 

Moshkito wrote:
It's missing one piece?

3 pieces. Lachesis, Atropos, and Tank.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:30 pm 

Is Brain Salad Surgery offered in 5.1 also?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:23 pm 

Sheesh - that Steve Wilson is busy eh?

I interviewed Ian Anderson about Wilson's recent remixes of Jethro Tull classics:

http://bensommer.com/blog/andersoninterview/

http://BenSommerMusic.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:21 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Yes. I bought it a few years ago....quite a few, actually. The price seems to have gone up since then.

http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-Lake-Palm ... B0000507R0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:51 am 

just plain doug wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Yes. I bought it a few years ago....quite a few, actually. The price seems to have gone up since then.

the price is high because it's out of print. that 5.1 mix was pretty terrible. i hope Steve gets a chance to do that one

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:37 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

the price is high because it's out of print. that 5.1 mix was pretty terrible. i hope Steve gets a chance to do that one

I have no doubts that he will get his hands on it. Probably next year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:51 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Wow! Lucky me.....I own a copy of the DVD audio CD. Maybe I could find someone to buy it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:12 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I don't know about the CD - but the DVD is great. I'm hearing stuff I didn't hear before, and the clarity is great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:08 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I don't know about the CD - but the DVD is great. I'm hearing stuff I didn't hear before, and the clarity is great.

The Sony version of BSS seems to be the best. Avoid the Shout! Factory version like the plague...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:37 pm 

Done.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:04 pm 

So has anybody seen the 40th Anniversary Concert? Seems Greg Lake couldn't make it as he was swallowed by some really huge guy who seemed to be lost on the lyrics at times. Disappointing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:48 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
So has anybody seen the 40th Anniversary Concert? Seems Greg Lake couldn't make it as he was swallowed by some really huge guy who seemed to be lost on the lyrics at times. Disappointing.

i DVRd it the other night but haven't watched it yet. I remember in the early 80s when he started to get really fat I had a friend that would refer to him as "Great" Lake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:07 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

i DVRd it the other night but haven't watched it yet. I remember in the early 80s when he started to get really fat I had a friend that would refer to him as "Great" Lake

Hehe. Well, watch it and tell me what you think. At the beginning of Tarkus he starts singing the first line and then just kinda backs off until the second one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:15 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

That was really, really sad. I couldn't get through the first song, it was so terrible ... and I consider myself to be a fan f ELP's first few albums. "Sadder still to watch it die, than never to have known it", as Neil Peart might say...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:43 am 

zomby'sprog wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

That was really, really sad. I couldn't get through the first song, it was so terrible ... and I consider myself to be a fan f ELP's first few albums. "Sadder still to watch it die, than never to have known it", as Neil Peart might say...

I was a bit shocked because I didn't have any idea what they looked like anymore. And to see Lake that big, I wasn't sure if it was him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:28 pm 

Hi,

I posted a review of Steven's work on the KC albums. I have not yet heard these by ELP, and at this point, I'm not sure I will at all. Here's why.

When I listen to music, I close my eyes and listen to it ... for the most part, it is the "totality" of the music that makes it for me, even though sometimes there is an individual that stands out a bit more than otherwise ... that adds something else to the music that "might" make it better or not. In many cases, as is the case with commercial music and tastes, the "solo" and the "moment" is almost always more important than the rest of the whole thing, and in many cases, the music is incidental.

KC, for me, as well as ELP's first 4 albums, are NOT about the individuals, but what the whole thing was about ... and too many people listen to KC's first album, call it the master progressive album, and ignore the lyrics ... meaning that the music is meaningless ... and I know it wasn't! Neither was ELP's despite their fun antics ... but a knife on his keyboard was not a show piece, but a way to get a specific sound out of the keyboard that could only be gotten when the 2 keys were pressed together ... but he also wanted to play something else with it.

For many folks, "The Endless Enigma" is progressive, but they don't know why ... when it is a massive attack about one's honesty and care ... about many things ... and "don't tell me lies" ... gets punctuated by drums heavily ... but ... noooooo ... it's progressive ... and no one bother to ask why that line is accentuated!

All in all, when I heard the first KC remaster, I was not impressed. Why? ... there was nothing in the "visual" side of it all, that changed anything! NOTHING.

My thoughts are this ... if you play on a stage a guitar, or bass, or drums ... it doesn't matter if it was recorded this way or that ... it might get a bit cleaner treatment and you can take out that idiot yelling rock'n'roll in the background, or that annoying drunk turkey on the side ... but in the end ... you are NOT listening to the player/players ... and their music ... you are listening to an image of digital or analog ... or some imaginary sonic'ness that is not there and never existed! On the other hand, you get those people that think that the Jesus story is better in technicolor instead of a book, and that Frank will sound better if he is ... whatever!

No one is sitting here and telling you and I that they just remastered Beethoven's 9th! And in the end, it really is just another commercial ploy to get you to buy things.

I'm not cynical enough to say that the "progressive" stuff does not need a few extra ears ... it does ... so people can appreciate some great music, but in the end, this insane need for dope, or digital this and that, or imaginary sonic something or other ... is not going to help your imagination unless you are already too doped up to know the difference and it sounds better than it really is.

I don't need a "better" recording to appreciate Gigli's Tosca. I don't need a better recording to appreciate Brubeck's Take 5. I don't need a better recording to appreciate Peaches en Bullshit! ...

Sorry ... these recordings do not make ELP better ... they just show that ELP was very good, and so was KC ... but to suggest the recordings did not "get it" ... is wrong!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:21 pm 

On the other hand, the final moments of "Brain Salad Surgery", where the bing-bing-bing sounds go faster and faster is way cool when it's going from speaker to speaker to speaker to speaker, in a circle around your ( well..."my") head! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:21 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
On the other hand, the final moments of "Brain Salad Surgery", where the bing-bing-bing sounds go faster and faster is way cool when it's going from speaker to speaker to speaker to speaker, in a circle around your ( well..."my") head! 8)

"Word" or "True dat" or whatever the kids say these days.

I know what you're saying Moshkito. I'm going to like Brain Salad Surgery no matter what. But it's just very cool to hear most of the instrumentation (and some you haven't heard before.) I'm not saying it's better.