The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:58 am 

zomby'sprog wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
most of you are missing the real meaning of the word "unusual" here

Depends on the context.

like i said earlier when i think unusual i think non-zappa like. Wild Love is VERY ZAPPA LIKE!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:34 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
zomby'sprog wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

Depends on the context.

like i said earlier when i think unusual i think non-zappa like. Wild Love is VERY ZAPPA LIKE!!

Agreed it's very Zappa-like, but the topic is ambiguous. I was going for unusual compared to non-Zappa music.

My vote for most un-Zappa-like by Zappa goes to Harder Than Your Husband. The vocals sound Zappa-like on the level that they are voices you know from other material, but short of that you'd have no idea that the person behind that POS was the most brilliant song writer ever. It's every bit as shitty as a real country music song.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:37 am 

GreenHocher wrote:

Agreed it's very Zappa-like, but the topic is ambiguous. I was going for unusual compared to non-Zappa music.

My vote for most un-Zappa-like by Zappa goes to Harder Than Your Husband. The vocals sound Zappa-like on the level that they are voices you know from other material, but short of that you'd have no idea that the person behind that POS was the most brilliant song writer ever. It's every bit as shitty as a real country music song.

HTYH is NOT a POS plus it is very much a parody/mockery song. Shitty? that's exactly what's it's supposed to be.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:57 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
GreenHocher wrote:

HTYH is NOT a POS plus it is very much a parody/mockery song. Shitty? that's exactly what's it's supposed to be.

I agree that conceptually it's Zappa-like in that it's a parody, but musically it's got zero Zappa-likeness. And lyrically, while slightly Zappa-like in that it's supposed to be funny, those lyrics are not that far out for the genre it's making a mockery of. If that song came on a country station the average country listener would not think twice about it. I can't think of another Zappa song that could disguise itself so easily.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:12 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
zomby'sprog wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

Depends on the context.

Same here. But for some the context may be much larger, such as in comparison with whatever is 'normal' to them. The OP was rather ambiguous in this regard.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:24 am 

WTF is this? Can't agree on the definition of 'unusual'? For FZ fans, after hearing most of the catelog, nothing should sound unusual, imo. For nearly everyone else, about half of all of FZ's material should sound unusual. I'm having a hard time coming up with even ONE satisfying answer! I'll stick with Watermelon, but that is unusual only in certain ways. In lots of ways it is very usual, for FZ.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:21 pm 

the best thing about this thread is that there is no wrong answer. just type the song followed by a small summary why you think it's unusual.

the black page

there will never be another composition like it in the history of music.

so many choices, i could go on forever really.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:59 pm 

FYI: What I think I meant by "unusual" in the original post was probably the degree of difference from the rest of the body of work, but feel absolutly free to impose any standard you wish. Lots of interesting tracks and explanations here and I'm really enjoying going back and listening to each one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:16 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
WTF is this? Can't agree on the definition of 'unusual'? For FZ fans, after hearing most of the catelog, nothing should sound unusual, imo. For nearly everyone else, about half of all of FZ's material should sound unusual. I'm having a hard time coming up with even ONE satisfying answer! I'll stick with Watermelon, but that is unusual only in certain ways. In lots of ways it is very usual, for FZ.

it's not unusual to be mad with anyone. it's not unusual to be sad with anyone. that's wtf it is! got it??

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:37 pm 

Speaking of good ol' Sleepy, although I love the song, Sleeping In A Jar is an unusual and kind of creepy (in a good way) tune.
Love Of My Life is more uncharacteristic than unusual since it's such a sweet, well, LOVE song, something he always said he despised--but probably loved...if it was a 50's Doo-Wop tune.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:38 pm 

Because all of this is very subjective by nature, I wood pick just one song as my personal choice of an unusual Zappa song/composition: Kaiser Rolls. Unusual in a sense that it is the one and only song in Frank's catalogue that I personally can't stand listening to. I hate that song. It gives me headache. The worst song ever written and performed. He was right to never release it himself.

Other than that I think FZ as a whole was never more unusual than in the context of today's world. And that makes his work even more valuable than ever, because it always was sort of a counter-concept to the rest.

Th.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:20 am 

Thinman wrote:

Other than that I think FZ as a whole was never more unusual than in the context of today's world. And that makes his work even more valuable than ever, because it always was sort of a counter-concept to the rest.

Amen to that!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:31 am 

Caputh wrote:
Weasels Ripped My Flesh?

That song is so good! :mrgreen:

Unusual as in... the not expected from Zappa? Well, is anything really? But I guess the whole CWRATJ was pretty unusual when it was released, and still is, compared with other Zappa-albums, though doowop songs pop up on many of his recordings.