Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:21 am 

I think so. I think that my explanation makes a lot of sense actually. There is a record store locally here and for some of their CDs they charge upwards of $20, when I could go get the same thing on eBay for $7-8. There is no difference whatsoever except the price and the fact that the store here locally is trying to make money while the person on eBay can afford to sell it way cheaper.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:41 am 

My supplier is not a local store. They used to run seven or eight stores too until a few years back, but started mailorder early on. Now they do mailorder only. They ship worldwide. I don't know how many copies of the 2012 remasters they stocked. I believed the 2012 remasters would early on show up in their top 100 sales charts. But nothing so far. Zappa doesn't sell very good these days it seems.

I used to have contact with one of their bosses in the 80s and 90s, when the first and second generations of Zappa CD reissues where on the market. The guy told me, they couldn't believe how many copies of Zappa CDs they were selling. Seems to be different times now.

Th.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:45 am 

Thinman wrote:
My supplier is not a local store. They used to run seven or eight stores too until a few years back, but started mailorder early on. Now they do mailorder only. They ship worldwide. I don't know how many copies of the 2012 remasters they stocked. I believed the 2012 remasters would early on show up in their top 100 sales charts. But nothing so far. Zappa doesn't sell very good these days it seems.

I used to have contact with one of their bosses in the 80s and 90s, when the first and second generations of Zappa CD reissues where on the market. The guy told me, they couldn't believe how many copies of Zappa CDs they were selling. Seems to be different times now.

Th.

Yeah unfortunately the CD market is all but dead these days it seems, for the most part anyway. People nowadays would rather download the CDs than purchase them, such a travesty in my opinion. I love owning the actual CD and I love being able to look through the booklet and read the lyrics, etc etc...I don't know, maybe it is just me!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:50 am 

Me too. I don't do downloads and don't have an iPod or something. I don't even listen to music in the car. I rather listen to nothing than having music as background entertainment only. When I listen to music I will do nothing else.

Th.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:45 pm 

Jordan wrote:
So because I paid $9.99 for a copy of Sheik Yerbouti it means that my copy is no good?

Not if it plays well for you without errors. So far there have only been reports of Grand Wazoo by several people and OneSizeFitsAll by ummmm you.

The difference between the CDs we are getting in the U.S. and the EU version Thinman is referring to is they are manufactured by different factories. The EU CDs are made by a quality concious company. Who knows what contractor they found to stamp out the ones in the U.S.

Could be that just the stamper for TheGrandWazoo has a problem and others are fine. I dunno. :?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:37 pm 

Sam I Am wrote:
This is going to sound really lame... but, does one usually get the song names displayed when played on the computer? I just get 'track 1' etc.
95% of the cds i put in my PC the titles was there. i had to write my self all title of stravinsky 10 cds box set, now its saved on dvd so no more edit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:42 pm 

Thinman wrote:
Me too. I don't do downloads and don't have an iPod or something. I don't even listen to music in the car. I rather listen to nothing than having music as background entertainment only. When I listen to music I will do nothing else.

Th.
I was like that before , except i always had music in my car. Today i dont own a car & listen music in back ground.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:41 am 

I've had no problems playing any of the new Zappa discs that I own. They were all ordered from Best Buy Online And Delivered to my house (I Have OSFA but not Waka/Jawaka / Grand wazoo yet )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:01 am 

I'm having trouble with my copy of One Size Fits All. I can't get enough of it!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:07 am 

I am particularly impressed with this latest release of OSFA. The fold out cover art is a real nice touch, and must have cost a bit more per copy.

For the record, all of the US release CDs I've received so far have been recognized by my computer (2010 Mac Mini) in iTunes. I rip my CDs and then store them away for safe keeping, and play through a Grant Fidelity DAC which is improved sound over my old NAD C340i CD player.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:14 am 

Jordan wrote:
Thinman wrote:

Th.

Yeah unfortunately the CD market is all but dead these days it seems, for the most part anyway. People nowadays would rather download the CDs than purchase them, such a travesty in my opinion. I love owning the actual CD and I love being able to look through the booklet and read the lyrics, etc etc...I don't know, maybe it is just me!

You aren't the only one!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:04 pm 

This plays in most of my players, including my work PC, but it won't boot in my personal PC.

Silly Question of the Day: It seems there's no booklet or anything in this album. Looks like there's just the front cover sheet, and on the back of it there appears to be just a listing of the re-mastering by Bob Ludwig, some special thanks, and that's about it. The band personnel aren't even listed. I know not all the albums come with lyrics, but this seems really bare bones! Is this the way the rest of you got your copies, or am I missing something (literally) here?

Let me know, please, guys.

Thanks!