Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
Posts: 108
Location: Bakersfield, California
I think so. I think that my explanation makes a lot of sense actually. There is a record store locally here and for some of their CDs they charge upwards of $20, when I could go get the same thing on eBay for $7-8. There is no difference whatsoever except the price and the fact that the store here locally is trying to make money while the person on eBay can afford to sell it way cheaper.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1023
Location: North German Wasteland
My supplier is not a local store. They used to run seven or eight stores too until a few years back, but started mailorder early on. Now they do mailorder only. They ship worldwide. I don't know how many copies of the 2012 remasters they stocked. I believed the 2012 remasters would early on show up in their top 100 sales charts. But nothing so far. Zappa doesn't sell very good these days it seems.

I used to have contact with one of their bosses in the 80s and 90s, when the first and second generations of Zappa CD reissues where on the market. The guy told me, they couldn't believe how many copies of Zappa CDs they were selling. Seems to be different times now.

Th.

_________________
Active forum member since 2005 - R E T I R E D from public forum activity in 2013


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
Posts: 108
Location: Bakersfield, California
Thinman wrote:
My supplier is not a local store. They used to run seven or eight stores too until a few years back, but started mailorder early on. Now they do mailorder only. They ship worldwide. I don't know how many copies of the 2012 remasters they stocked. I believed the 2012 remasters would early on show up in their top 100 sales charts. But nothing so far. Zappa doesn't sell very good these days it seems.

I used to have contact with one of their bosses in the 80s and 90s, when the first and second generations of Zappa CD reissues where on the market. The guy told me, they couldn't believe how many copies of Zappa CDs they were selling. Seems to be different times now.

Th.

Yeah unfortunately the CD market is all but dead these days it seems, for the most part anyway. People nowadays would rather download the CDs than purchase them, such a travesty in my opinion. I love owning the actual CD and I love being able to look through the booklet and read the lyrics, etc etc...I don't know, maybe it is just me!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1023
Location: North German Wasteland
Me too. I don't do downloads and don't have an iPod or something. I don't even listen to music in the car. I rather listen to nothing than having music as background entertainment only. When I listen to music I will do nothing else.

Th.

_________________
Active forum member since 2005 - R E T I R E D from public forum activity in 2013


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:09 am
Posts: 140
Location: back east...
Jordan wrote:
So because I paid $9.99 for a copy of Sheik Yerbouti it means that my copy is no good?


Not if it plays well for you without errors. So far there have only been reports of Grand Wazoo by several people and OneSizeFitsAll by ummmm you.

The difference between the CDs we are getting in the U.S. and the EU version Thinman is referring to is they are manufactured by different factories. The EU CDs are made by a quality concious company. Who knows what contractor they found to stamp out the ones in the U.S.

Could be that just the stamper for TheGrandWazoo has a problem and others are fine. I dunno. :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:33 pm
Posts: 671
Location: Puisard Radioactif
Sam I Am wrote:
This is going to sound really lame... but, does one usually get the song names displayed when played on the computer? I just get 'track 1' etc.
95% of the cds i put in my PC the titles was there. i had to write my self all title of stravinsky 10 cds box set, now its saved on dvd so no more edit.

_________________
Je suis désolé pour les roles que j'ai joué dans toutes ces videos, ce n'est pas tres valorisant pour l'humanité mais si cela peu avoir fait progresser la science, alors il y aura eu un coté positif.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:33 pm
Posts: 671
Location: Puisard Radioactif
Thinman wrote:
Me too. I don't do downloads and don't have an iPod or something. I don't even listen to music in the car. I rather listen to nothing than having music as background entertainment only. When I listen to music I will do nothing else.

Th.
I was like that before , except i always had music in my car. Today i dont own a car & listen music in back ground.

_________________
Je suis désolé pour les roles que j'ai joué dans toutes ces videos, ce n'est pas tres valorisant pour l'humanité mais si cela peu avoir fait progresser la science, alors il y aura eu un coté positif.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:09 pm
Posts: 18
I've had no problems playing any of the new Zappa discs that I own. They were all ordered from Best Buy Online And Delivered to my house (I Have OSFA but not Waka/Jawaka / Grand wazoo yet )


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9460
Location: EINDHOVEN
I'm having trouble with my copy of One Size Fits All. I can't get enough of it!

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:59 pm
Posts: 69
I am particularly impressed with this latest release of OSFA. The fold out cover art is a real nice touch, and must have cost a bit more per copy.

For the record, all of the US release CDs I've received so far have been recognized by my computer (2010 Mac Mini) in iTunes. I rip my CDs and then store them away for safe keeping, and play through a Grant Fidelity DAC which is improved sound over my old NAD C340i CD player.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:36 pm
Posts: 243
Jordan wrote:
Thinman wrote:
My supplier is not a local store. They used to run seven or eight stores too until a few years back, but started mailorder early on. Now they do mailorder only. They ship worldwide. I don't know how many copies of the 2012 remasters they stocked. I believed the 2012 remasters would early on show up in their top 100 sales charts. But nothing so far. Zappa doesn't sell very good these days it seems.

I used to have contact with one of their bosses in the 80s and 90s, when the first and second generations of Zappa CD reissues where on the market. The guy told me, they couldn't believe how many copies of Zappa CDs they were selling. Seems to be different times now.

Th.

Yeah unfortunately the CD market is all but dead these days it seems, for the most part anyway. People nowadays would rather download the CDs than purchase them, such a travesty in my opinion. I love owning the actual CD and I love being able to look through the booklet and read the lyrics, etc etc...I don't know, maybe it is just me!


You aren't the only one!

_________________
Host of Prog Rock Deep Cuts, airing Thursdays from 7-10 PM EST on houseofprog.com.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:39 pm
Posts: 8
This plays in most of my players, including my work PC, but it won't boot in my personal PC.

Silly Question of the Day: It seems there's no booklet or anything in this album. Looks like there's just the front cover sheet, and on the back of it there appears to be just a listing of the re-mastering by Bob Ludwig, some special thanks, and that's about it. The band personnel aren't even listed. I know not all the albums come with lyrics, but this seems really bare bones! Is this the way the rest of you got your copies, or am I missing something (literally) here?

Let me know, please, guys.

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group