Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I've written a novel!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:49 am 

Hey gang,
After many long years, I've finally self-published my book, "The Enigma Of David's Toe":
http://www.amazon.com/The-Enigma-Davids ... f_gw_p_t_1

Though just a Kindle e-book now, it will soon be available on Nook, iTunes, and, as an actual BOOK!

Of course, there's a Zappa reference in the book (actually, it's a reference to the Zappa FORUM!).

It's a crazy 'who-done-it' with conspiracy theories, reincarnations, and occult strangeness....... you know, a comedy!

Please, do me a favor and buy a copy. I'm a 45 year old man, and after years of trying to make some art, this is the first thing I felt could be acceptable to release to the world.
And, if you like it, tell the world.

Thanks for listening,
Vincent Cannata

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:35 am 

I still can only read books printed on dead trees so you should perhaps update this when you get to that point.
As a 44 year old man who has successfully given away every piece of art he's ever created or excreted, I wish you good luck with this.

Miasma!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:36 am 

Thanks, very nice! Congrats. Now you still have to have a child and plant a tree...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:26 pm 

Congratulations for completing this. As a 45 year old musician that feels somewhat the same I appreciate the effort it takes to create something like this and actually complete it and pass it along to the world. I bought a copy, the synopsis looked interesting. Cheers to you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:22 pm 

Cletus wrote:
Congratulations for completing this. As a 45 year old musician that feels somewhat the same I appreciate the effort it takes to create something like this and actually complete it and pass it along to the world. I bought a copy, the synopsis looked interesting. Cheers to you.

Dam Cletus, I thought you were younger than that... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:44 pm 

Plook wrote:
Cletus wrote:

I thought Cletus was about 37 when I met him a few years ago - so he's doing ok.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:50 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Plook wrote:
Cletus wrote:

I thought Cletus was about 37 when I met him a few years ago - so he's doing ok.

He told me he was 26 a couple a years back. That blonde hair hides the grey real well! :mrgreen:

BTW: He's only 5' 4",but looks 6' 5"! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:50 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KUIII wrote:
Plook wrote:

He told me he was 26 a couple a years back. That blonde hair hides the grey real well! :mrgreen:

BTW: He's only 5' 4",but looks 6' 5"! :wink:

LOL at least I got that goin for me. (26?!) MISS YOU GUYS (oh and happy Bday KUIII) Im so out of it :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:26 am 

Well, that's all well and good, but I'd hope someone gives the book and chance, and... well, let me know if it's any good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:17 am 

vince_de_wild wrote:
Well, that's all well and good, but I'd hope someone gives the book and chance, and... well, let me know if it's any good.

As I said earlier I purchased a copy. I will let you know what I think

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:59 am 

And now, ladies & gentlemen, the paperback edition:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Enigma-Davids ... f_gw_p_t_1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:31 pm 

MY first review:

5.0 out of 5 stars More fun than a barrel of DiVinci Codes! September 18, 2012
By Derek Cornish
Format:Paperback
This fantastic tale of an American 'Gen-X'er and his distant relative is a wild roller-coaster of a book!
A fun who-done-it, and a must for "X-Flies"-style weirdness.
As, Ed, the young American gets deeper into the mystery of why David decided to smash Michelangelo's David's toe, he goes deeper down the rabbit hole of reincarnation, occult madness, and murder. While on its surface, it deals with lofty subjects from Renaissance-era religion and politics to modern day 'conspiracy theory' web-sites, author Vincent Cannata always keeps the readers attention with 'human error'-style comedy, and hilarious pop-culture references.

I highly recommend it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:33 am 

Congrats, Vince. I have added your book to "The Want List." Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:17 am 

Somebody wrote a positive review on the Barnes&Noble site!
If it was anybody here, THANK YOU!

--------------------------------------------
"The Enigma Of David's Toe" by Vincent Cannata
http://www.amazon.com/The-Enigma-Davids ... 1479227579
"A wild ride of conspiracy theories, reincarnation, and occult weirdness..... you know, a comedy."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:14 am 

Congratulations, man.

I've always wanted to publish a book. Maybe someday? How did you do it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:35 am 

zomby'sprog wrote:
Congratulations, man.

Well, I had the idea since 1991, but it wasn't until that episode of "Family Guy" where Stewy chides Brian about how his book is coming along, and his voice gets higher and higher, that I finally got off my butt and made it happen.
I had it finished three years ago, and over a dozen rejection letters later, finally self-published it.

Not to sound too pitiful, in that time I lost my dog, my credit rating, my house, my job...... still got my wife.
But, out of all that, I have 'this' to show for it!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Enigma-Dav...ews/1479227579
"A wild ride of conspiracy theories, reincarnation, and occult weirdness..... you know, a comedy."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:07 pm 

vince_de_wild wrote:
zomby'sprog wrote:
Congratulations, man.

Well, I had the idea since 1991, but it wasn't until that episode of "Family Guy" where Stewy chides Brian about how his book is coming along, and his voice gets higher and higher, that I finally got off my butt and made it happen.
I had it finished three years ago, and over a dozen rejection letters later, finally self-published it.

Not to sound too pitiful, in that time I lost my dog, my credit rating, my house, my job...... still got my wife.
But, out of all that, I have 'this' to show for it!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Enigma-Dav...ews/1479227579

Can I convert EPUB to PDF? I will buy it...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:02 pm 

I will buy it too, congrats

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:09 pm 

you should be able to do that on SMASHWORDS
they have all the other ebook formats that amazon doesn't.
Here's the link.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/229541

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:11 pm 

Now, actually on iTunes!!
Just type the title, The Enigma Of David's Toe, and get some!

And, if you have the time, leave a review.
Thanks.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-...ata/1112803717

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:03 am 

As it is my birthday today..... I have received ANOTHER good review:

From Amazon:
This review is from: The Enigma of David's Toe (Paperback)
This book is a page turner...kept me going from the start. I love a story that moves back and forth in time, and this one delivered. Was it real? Was it insanity? You read and find out. Money well spent.

As I won't be getting my Zappa Cd's today, would you all be so kind as to just drop off a 5 star standing on my book on the iTunes, or anywhere you get books on line........

Thank you.

Step right up!
http://www.amazon.com/The-Enigma-Davids ... B00963VYNY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:42 am 

So, did anybody check out my book?

"The Enigma Of David's Toe" by Vincent Cannata is now available in paperback & for Kindle here:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Enigma-Davids ... B00963VYNY

It can also be purchased for Nook here:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-eni ... 1112803717
and, other e-books here:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/229541

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:40 am 

Nope.

As a person that has written a few things over the past forty years, I've come to understand quite a lot about myself. It's a big ego trip, to write...for me, anyway. I thought I might someday be a famous writer, but I always just worked jobs that wore me out so bad I did not have time or energy to write.

But, I do have a small stack of shit to show around. The novel I wrote back in the Nineties is still in Random House's slush pile, and the occasional piece I'd submit here and there was always deemed somehow unfitting or inappropriate. I've worn that as a badge of honor. It's too good for them.

What I discovered is that I can't tolerate criticism, or editing, and therefore I can never get paid. If I try to write what someone else wants to read, I become bored. This is probably due to the fact that I am myself a vicious critic, one who finds most modern writing to be devoid of creativity or redemptive content.

Of course, I could pay to have my stuff bound and sold, but I really am not in the frame of mind or state of wealth that would allow such. I understand that no publishing house is going to take a chance on a new writer, much less some obscure dude with a two-year community college education...no matter how great the work is, there must be something wrong with it if it originates with some blue-collar jerk.

I sometimes think that I might have followed my brother's lead. He feigned social ineptitude so that he could paint a few paintings. I, myself, could never lean on other people just to write a novel. Writing what I have written has wrecked my life enough. But, my brother ends up like me...not taken seriously due to a lack of education and a distinct image of being "out there"...even though he has painted quite a few artful canvases.

In any case, the book stores and libraries are stuffed with works nobody buys or reads. Getting published and being ignored would be worse. As it is, I'm happy writing for myself, and trust me, it's quite fulfilling, as I generally have written something I would like to read, and when I do read it, I'm touched emotionally. Maybe someone will declare it wonderful after I've died, or maybe I'll just burn it with my body.

So, no...I haven't checked out Vince DeWilde's novel. I'm afraid I'll hate it, and more afraid I'll love it, and get jealous.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:43 am 

How to Find Satisfaction in Authorship

A lot of people on this planet think they might like to write something some day, or even become a professional writer. Writing can be a noble endeavor if the goals of authorship are understood carefully. What it takes to be successful as a writer is often discussed, but what it takes to be satisfied as a writer is a rare topic. Outlined here are the basics of writing satisfaction, for those who might be considering a bit of composition labor.

What you need to get started…

First, you must have talent. Most people with writing talent know they have it by the time they get out of puberty, provided that they are formally educated and their teachers have appraised their skills adequately. There is little point in trying to be a writer if you do not have at least the spores of an inner voice and the rudiments of a language education.

Secondly, you will need to have something to say. Living a little bit is crucial in this regard. A person that has no experience cannot write what he knows, since he knows nothing. Go out, get dirty, get hurt, grow some hair, and take some drugs. That is the only way to know what you are talking about.

Thirdly, you must develop an outsized ego. No one else is going to think you are worthy if you don’t. Nurturing an air of superiority makes writing an easier task by giving an importance it probably doesn’t warrant. YOU have something to say, YOU have a story to tell, YOU are important and relevant. Why else would you be writing?

How to get started…

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one footstep. Let that voice in your head say the first thing, then let your mind write it down. What most writers find is that once the voice gets started, it won’t shut up, and the composition begins to practically write itself.

Once started, the composition needs to stay in the mind of the writer, at least in the back of the writer’s head, at all times until the composition is complete. Notes should be made of all major ideas, turns of phrase, and plotline executions. While there might be a danger of over-thinking it, anything that does not work well can be thrown out during a review.

Of course, a lot is said about inspiration when it comes to producing a written work of art. Many writers are far too busy just trying to gather enough income to feed themselves, and natural inspiration can arrive at any moment, so the writer must be prepared to write down the bare qualities of the inspiration. When the time comes to compose and the inspiration is lacking, it can be forced through the use of various mind-altering substances, most commonly alcohol. Let’s face it…some of our best authors were drunks, potheads, and heroin addicts.

Avoiding the pitfalls of authorship...

The goal of the satisfied writer is to be happy with what he has written. Much is said in today’s world about self-censorship, but will the writer really be content with a self-applied gag? The key to being satiated with the desire of authorship is that the composition genuinely reflects the author’s heart and soul. If the writer has held back, the writer will be disappointed with his lack of courage.

For this reason, writing for money is generally out of the question. Perhaps writing technical journals is acceptable if the writer can tolerate the boredom, but accepting money to write is detrimental to the writer’s personal joy. Many is the sad story of a novelist whose work has been raped by an editorial staff in an effort to make it saleable to a throng of morons who should have never been taught to read in the first place.

Being employed as a writer is probably one of the most dissatisfying occupations there can be. With the possible exception of copy writers, journalists are the lowest form of writer known to the human race. This is because they work within artificial constraints, and accept money for doing it. They have sold their souls.

Know this: An editor is nothing but a censor.

How to be satisfied as a writer…

It’s simple. Let it flow as freely as possible from all parts of your being. Don’t allow others to tell you what’s acceptable or what is allowed. When you read your own work, you should be deeply touched, as if you were reading your own soul. It should be almost as if you were looking in a mirror.

To be happy as a writer, you have to write for you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:06 pm 

Well, since we're making pronouncements....

Don't write about writing or talk too much about it.

A rope leash wrote:
When you read your own work, you should be deeply touched

I wouldn't take writing advice from anyone who tells you how you should respond to your own writing.