Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 120  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:28 pm 

Thanks for all the info. I'm getting Joe's,YAWYI & Sheik from Amazon. Great prices on these too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:13 am 

Just finished listening to these analog remasters:

GW: Sounds much better than the Ryko (from Best Buy online, no problems with the disc)
BF: Sounds great. Better separation. Makes the Ryko sound "flat".
ZA: Sounds just like the vinyl, but beefed up a little. Excellent.
ST: Ditto.
SD: Ditto.
SY: Sounds wonderful and makes the EMI CD sound thin. I must admit, I wasn't expecting it to sound this good.

I can't wait to hear the next batch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 am 

Anyone care to comment on the LSO orchestral double disc?
How does it sound?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:43 am 

Uncle Z wrote:
Just finished listening to these analog remasters:

GW: Sounds much better than the Ryko (from Best Buy online, no problems with the disc)
BF: Sounds great. Better separation. Makes the Ryko sound "flat".
ZA: Sounds just like the vinyl, but beefed up a little. Excellent.
ST: Ditto.
SD: Ditto.
SY: Sounds wonderful and makes the EMI CD sound thin. I must admit, I wasn't expecting it to sound this good.

I can't wait to hear the next batch.
plz guys try to write the whole album title i get an headache to figure out them :|

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:46 am 

ZutboF wrote:
plz guys try to write the whole album title i get an headache to figure out them :|

Haha - I hear you! The 2-initial ones are a bitch for me too....
YAWYI, SUNPYG, SATLTSADW = much easier.... :mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 am 

The fuck is so hard about it? NO TWO ARE THE SAME!

#retards

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:54 am 

Anyone here should know them right off the bat...keeps the grey matter flowing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:00 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

#retards

Thanks for clearing that up! :roll:
Like I said, the longer acronyms are easy enough but memorizing 60 total (more if you include posthumous releases) is a nuisance. Even worse when you work in IT and already have to memorize a million different acronyms in your trade. Clearly, I AM RETARDED - the only possible explanation. :roll:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:26 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

#retards

Like I said, the longer acronyms are easy enough but memorizing 60 total (more if you include posthumous releases) is a nuisance. Even worse when you work in IT and already have to memorize a million different acronyms in your trade. Clearly, I AM RETARDED - the only possible explanation. :roll:

So, I'm not the only one who struggles with acronyms? I try to avoid them as much as possible. It makes my posts (Hopefully) clearer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:29 am 

zomby'sprog wrote:
So, I'm not the only one who struggles with acronyms? I try to avoid them as much as possible. It makes my posts (Hopefully) clearer.

Ahhh... welcome to the circle of the RETARDED, zomby'sprog! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:47 am 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:56 am 

Niiiice.... :mrgreen:

ITTIYIUTAWF
(or, just in case you're retarded: I thought that image you inserted up there above was funny!)

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:59 am 

zomby'sprog wrote:

This is an actual acronym I learned at work today...

DOCOPOCOSS - Date of Cessation of Presumption of Conformity of the Superseded Standard

Now don't FZ albums seem easy? :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:07 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
This is an actual acronym I learned at work today...

DOCOPOCOSS - Date of Cessation of Presumption of Conformity of the Superseded Standard

Now don't FZ albums seem easy? :)

o_O

That actually reads just like a posthumous ZFT(GZ) liner note! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:06 pm 

In serious leather

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:09 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:

#retards

Says the guy using a twitter hashtag on a forum post....

So did anyone get LSO? I'm curious about it too. One of my faves, but the store didn't have it when I was there last week. Wont get a chance to look again for a couple days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:42 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

#retards

Says the guy using a twitter hashtag on a forum post....

So did anyone get LSO? I'm curious about it too. One of my faves, but the store didn't have it when I was there last week. Wont get a chance to look again for a couple days.

Sunrise has told me it isn't released (in Canada, anyway) yet. Amazon.ca has October 16 as the release date.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:47 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:

according to the back cover it is sourced from the 1993 1630 Digital Master. i think that means it will sound (pretty much) like the Ryko copy. i'm listening in order and haven't gotten to that album yet so that's all i can give ya.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:33 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Sunrise has told me it isn't released (in Canada, anyway) yet. Amazon.ca has October 16 as the release date.

Ah, thanks for the heads up, I missed seeing that. I wont go crazy trying to find it until then.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:17 pm 

I have a question regarding YAWYI...

Listening to the 2012 version with a decent set of headphones, I notice that, in comparison to the EMI version, that many of the elements and massive overdubs are clearer on the new edition. I've never owned a vinyl copy of YAWYI to make any further comparisons. What I'm wondering is if there might have possibly been a different '81 analog master used on the US editions versus the EMI/European editions?

To my ears, it sounds like more is going on with this mix besides being simply a master from the (or an) analog source with beefed-up eq. The content sounds the same, but certain elements sound more up front in the mix.

A couple of examples I have are, the back-up vocals on Heavenly Bank Account sound more separated and easier to discern on the 2012 CD versus the EMI CD to me. Also, many of the guitar elements sound a bit more up front to me on the 2012 version.

Anybody know if there could have been more than one analog mix master sent to the manufacturing plants back in '81?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:59 pm 

zomby'sprog wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

#retards

Count me among the retarded as well. If I had a cheat list with all the Zappa albums readily at bay I could figure it out much quicker but yeah, with upwards of 100 albums now, it ain't that easy. Perhaps you could organize a trip to the zoo or the bowling alley for all of us retards, you cranky old piece of shit. :evil: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:02 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Perhaps you could organize a trip to the zoo or the bowling alley for all of us retards, you cranky old piece of shit. :evil: :wink:

Bwahahaha! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:24 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:

Listening to the 2012 version with a decent set of headphones, I notice that, in comparison to the EMI version, that many of the elements and massive overdubs are clearer on the new edition. I've never owned a vinyl copy of YAWYI to make any further comparisons. What I'm wondering is if there might have possibly been a different '81 analog master used on the US editions versus the EMI/European editions?

To my ears, it sounds like more is going on with this mix besides being simply a master from the (or an) analog source with beefed-up eq. The content sounds the same, but certain elements sound more up front in the mix.

A couple of examples I have are, the back-up vocals on Heavenly Bank Account sound more separated and easier to discern on the 2012 CD versus the EMI CD to me. Also, many of the guitar elements sound a bit more up front to me on the 2012 version.

Anybody know if there could have been more than one analog mix master sent to the manufacturing plants back in '81?

Hi SPACEBROTHER,

FZ had created digital (re-)masters for those albums early on. Later vinyl editions were already made from those digital masters (Digitally remastered European vinyl re-issue (EMI EN 5000 (?), 1985). The covers of those remastered vinyl editions had "Digitally Remastered" printed on the front. EMI also used those digital masters for their CD editions, not the original analog masters.

So it very likely that the new CDs sound different because the EMI CDs were not made from the original analog masters.

Th.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:14 am 

Thinman wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

Hi SPACEBROTHER,

FZ had created digital(re-)masters for those albums early on. Later vinyl editions were already made from those digital masters (Digitally remastered European vinyl re-issue (EMI EN 5000 (?), 1985). The covers of those remastered vinyl editions had "Digitally Remastered" printed on the front. EMI also used those digital masters for their CD editions, not the original analog masters.

So it very likely that the new CDs sound different because the EMI CDs were not made from the original analog masters.

Th.

i believe this to be incorrect. The EMI LPs and later the EMI CDs we're NOT FZ approved. He HATED them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:05 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
… i believe this to be incorrect. …

You mean, the digital U-Matic masters, that the "Digitally Remastered" vinyl series and CDs were made from, were not FZ created?
Could be, but doesn't make a difference to SPACEBROTHER's question.

BTW, I always thought, FZ hated the EMI CDs, because they used the U-Matic masters, that were created by him for the later vinyl edtions only, for their unauthorized CD editions.

Not sure.

Th.

Last edited by Thinman on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 120  Next