Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 120  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:22 pm
Posts: 8
Thanks for all the info. I'm getting Joe's,YAWYI & Sheik from Amazon. Great prices on these too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:47 am
Posts: 74
Just finished listening to these analog remasters:

GW: Sounds much better than the Ryko (from Best Buy online, no problems with the disc)
BF: Sounds great. Better separation. Makes the Ryko sound "flat".
ZA: Sounds just like the vinyl, but beefed up a little. Excellent.
ST: Ditto.
SD: Ditto.
SY: Sounds wonderful and makes the EMI CD sound thin. I must admit, I wasn't expecting it to sound this good.

I can't wait to hear the next batch.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:37 am
Posts: 514
Anyone care to comment on the LSO orchestral double disc?
How does it sound?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:33 pm
Posts: 671
Location: Puisard Radioactif
Uncle Z wrote:
Just finished listening to these analog remasters:

GW: Sounds much better than the Ryko (from Best Buy online, no problems with the disc)
BF: Sounds great. Better separation. Makes the Ryko sound "flat".
ZA: Sounds just like the vinyl, but beefed up a little. Excellent.
ST: Ditto.
SD: Ditto.
SY: Sounds wonderful and makes the EMI CD sound thin. I must admit, I wasn't expecting it to sound this good.

I can't wait to hear the next batch.
plz guys try to write the whole album title i get an headache to figure out them :|

_________________
Je suis désolé pour les roles que j'ai joué dans toutes ces videos, ce n'est pas tres valorisant pour l'humanité mais si cela peu avoir fait progresser la science, alors il y aura eu un coté positif.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3300
Location: Chicago, IL
ZutboF wrote:
plz guys try to write the whole album title i get an headache to figure out them :|


Haha - I hear you! The 2-initial ones are a bitch for me too....
YAWYI, SUNPYG, SATLTSADW = much easier.... :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 6285
Location: Your Mom's Box
The fuck is so hard about it? NO TWO ARE THE SAME!

#retards

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:58 am
Posts: 694
Location: West Haven Ct
Anyone here should know them right off the bat...keeps the grey matter flowing.

_________________
Bobby


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3300
Location: Chicago, IL
jaypfunk wrote:
The fuck is so hard about it? NO TWO ARE THE SAME!

#retards


Thanks for clearing that up! :roll:
Like I said, the longer acronyms are easy enough but memorizing 60 total (more if you include posthumous releases) is a nuisance. Even worse when you work in IT and already have to memorize a million different acronyms in your trade. Clearly, I AM RETARDED - the only possible explanation. :roll:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:36 pm
Posts: 244
PenguinInBondage wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
The fuck is so hard about it? NO TWO ARE THE SAME!

#retards


Thanks for clearing that up! :roll:
Like I said, the longer acronyms are easy enough but memorizing 60 total (more if you include posthumous releases) is a nuisance. Even worse when you work in IT and already have to memorize a million different acronyms in your trade. Clearly, I AM RETARDED - the only possible explanation. :roll:


So, I'm not the only one who struggles with acronyms? I try to avoid them as much as possible. It makes my posts (Hopefully) clearer.

_________________
Host of Prog Rock Deep Cuts, airing Thursdays from 7-10 PM EST on houseofprog.com.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3300
Location: Chicago, IL
zomby'sprog wrote:
So, I'm not the only one who struggles with acronyms? I try to avoid them as much as possible. It makes my posts (Hopefully) clearer.


Ahhh... welcome to the circle of the RETARDED, zomby'sprog! :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:47 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 6285
Location: Your Mom's Box
Image

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3300
Location: Chicago, IL
Niiiice.... :mrgreen:

ITTIYIUTAWF
(or, just in case you're retarded: I thought that image you inserted up there above was funny!)

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3333
Location: Between the Badges
zomby'sprog wrote:
So, I'm not the only one who struggles with acronyms? I try to avoid them as much as possible. It makes my posts (Hopefully) clearer.

This is an actual acronym I learned at work today...

DOCOPOCOSS - Date of Cessation of Presumption of Conformity of the Superseded Standard

Now don't FZ albums seem easy? :)

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3300
Location: Chicago, IL
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
This is an actual acronym I learned at work today...

DOCOPOCOSS - Date of Cessation of Presumption of Conformity of the Superseded Standard

Now don't FZ albums seem easy? :)



o_O

That actually reads just like a posthumous ZFT(GZ) liner note! :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3333
Location: Between the Badges
In serious leather

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:55 pm
Posts: 215
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
jaypfunk wrote:
The fuck is so hard about it? NO TWO ARE THE SAME!

#retards


Says the guy using a twitter hashtag on a forum post....


So did anyone get LSO? I'm curious about it too. One of my faves, but the store didn't have it when I was there last week. Wont get a chance to look again for a couple days.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 19069
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Ruz-El wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
The fuck is so hard about it? NO TWO ARE THE SAME!

#retards


Says the guy using a twitter hashtag on a forum post....


So did anyone get LSO? I'm curious about it too. One of my faves, but the store didn't have it when I was there last week. Wont get a chance to look again for a couple days.

Sunrise has told me it isn't released (in Canada, anyway) yet. Amazon.ca has October 16 as the release date.

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Were We Ever Really Safe In San Antonio?
Ruz-El wrote:


So did anyone get LSO? I'm curious about it too. One of my faves, but the store didn't have it when I was there last week. Wont get a chance to look again for a couple days.


according to the back cover it is sourced from the 1993 1630 Digital Master. i think that means it will sound (pretty much) like the Ryko copy. i'm listening in order and haven't gotten to that album yet so that's all i can give ya.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:55 pm
Posts: 215
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
just plain doug wrote:
Sunrise has told me it isn't released (in Canada, anyway) yet. Amazon.ca has October 16 as the release date.


Ah, thanks for the heads up, I missed seeing that. I wont go crazy trying to find it until then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5817
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
I have a question regarding YAWYI...


Listening to the 2012 version with a decent set of headphones, I notice that, in comparison to the EMI version, that many of the elements and massive overdubs are clearer on the new edition. I've never owned a vinyl copy of YAWYI to make any further comparisons. What I'm wondering is if there might have possibly been a different '81 analog master used on the US editions versus the EMI/European editions?

To my ears, it sounds like more is going on with this mix besides being simply a master from the (or an) analog source with beefed-up eq. The content sounds the same, but certain elements sound more up front in the mix.

A couple of examples I have are, the back-up vocals on Heavenly Bank Account sound more separated and easier to discern on the 2012 CD versus the EMI CD to me. Also, many of the guitar elements sound a bit more up front to me on the 2012 version.

Anybody know if there could have been more than one analog mix master sent to the manufacturing plants back in '81?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 2208
zomby'sprog wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
The fuck is so hard about it? NO TWO ARE THE SAME!

#retards


Thanks for clearing that up! :roll:
Like I said, the longer acronyms are easy enough but memorizing 60 total (more if you include posthumous releases) is a nuisance. Even worse when you work in IT and already have to memorize a million different acronyms in your trade. Clearly, I AM RETARDED - the only possible explanation. :roll:


So, I'm not the only one who struggles with acronyms? I try to avoid them as much as possible. It makes my posts (Hopefully) clearer.

Count me among the retarded as well. If I had a cheat list with all the Zappa albums readily at bay I could figure it out much quicker but yeah, with upwards of 100 albums now, it ain't that easy. Perhaps you could organize a trip to the zoo or the bowling alley for all of us retards, you cranky old piece of shit. :evil: :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3300
Location: Chicago, IL
KUIII wrote:
Perhaps you could organize a trip to the zoo or the bowling alley for all of us retards, you cranky old piece of shit. :evil: :wink:


Bwahahaha! :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1023
Location: North German Wasteland
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I have a question regarding YAWYI...


Listening to the 2012 version with a decent set of headphones, I notice that, in comparison to the EMI version, that many of the elements and massive overdubs are clearer on the new edition. I've never owned a vinyl copy of YAWYI to make any further comparisons. What I'm wondering is if there might have possibly been a different '81 analog master used on the US editions versus the EMI/European editions?

To my ears, it sounds like more is going on with this mix besides being simply a master from the (or an) analog source with beefed-up eq. The content sounds the same, but certain elements sound more up front in the mix.

A couple of examples I have are, the back-up vocals on Heavenly Bank Account sound more separated and easier to discern on the 2012 CD versus the EMI CD to me. Also, many of the guitar elements sound a bit more up front to me on the 2012 version.

Anybody know if there could have been more than one analog mix master sent to the manufacturing plants back in '81?

Hi SPACEBROTHER,

FZ had created digital (re-)masters for those albums early on. Later vinyl editions were already made from those digital masters (Digitally remastered European vinyl re-issue (EMI EN 5000 (?), 1985). The covers of those remastered vinyl editions had "Digitally Remastered" printed on the front. EMI also used those digital masters for their CD editions, not the original analog masters.

So it very likely that the new CDs sound different because the EMI CDs were not made from the original analog masters.

Th.

_________________
Active forum member since 2005 - R E T I R E D from public forum activity in 2013


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:14 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 6285
Location: Your Mom's Box
Thinman wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I have a question regarding YAWYI...


Listening to the 2012 version with a decent set of headphones, I notice that, in comparison to the EMI version, that many of the elements and massive overdubs are clearer on the new edition. I've never owned a vinyl copy of YAWYI to make any further comparisons. What I'm wondering is if there might have possibly been a different '81 analog master used on the US editions versus the EMI/European editions?

To my ears, it sounds like more is going on with this mix besides being simply a master from the (or an) analog source with beefed-up eq. The content sounds the same, but certain elements sound more up front in the mix.

A couple of examples I have are, the back-up vocals on Heavenly Bank Account sound more separated and easier to discern on the 2012 CD versus the EMI CD to me. Also, many of the guitar elements sound a bit more up front to me on the 2012 version.

Anybody know if there could have been more than one analog mix master sent to the manufacturing plants back in '81?

Hi SPACEBROTHER,

FZ had created digital(re-)masters for those albums early on. Later vinyl editions were already made from those digital masters (Digitally remastered European vinyl re-issue (EMI EN 5000 (?), 1985). The covers of those remastered vinyl editions had "Digitally Remastered" printed on the front. EMI also used those digital masters for their CD editions, not the original analog masters.

So it very likely that the new CDs sound different because the EMI CDs were not made from the original analog masters.

Th.


i believe this to be incorrect. The EMI LPs and later the EMI CDs we're NOT FZ approved. He HATED them.

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1023
Location: North German Wasteland
jaypfunk wrote:
… i believe this to be incorrect. …

You mean, the digital U-Matic masters, that the "Digitally Remastered" vinyl series and CDs were made from, were not FZ created?
Could be, but doesn't make a difference to SPACEBROTHER's question.

BTW, I always thought, FZ hated the EMI CDs, because they used the U-Matic masters, that were created by him for the later vinyl edtions only, for their unauthorized CD editions.

Not sure.

Th.

_________________
Active forum member since 2005 - R E T I R E D from public forum activity in 2013


Last edited by Thinman on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 120  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group