Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:45 am 

Uncle Z wrote:
I am certainly concerned that an mp3 file may not sound as good as a CD, but my greater concern is that (in my mind) files and hard drives are a fragile way of storing music. My music collection is very important to me, and even though I back up my PC on a regular basis, I feel more secure with hard copies of my albums (CDs).

im sure there will be an option to re download music you've already purchased, if these tapes are indeed online only purchases

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:51 am 

The whole "cloud" thing bothers me...
I don't want any of my life or stuff "out there" where it's "held hostage" and PAY for that.
The whole thing shmacks of Orwellian conspiracy.
Central Scrutinizer INDEED!

Keep as much of your life OFF the internet people!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:55 am 

jeddy wrote:
I don't want any of my life or stuff "out there" where it's "held hostage" and PAY for that.

K - then store it all at home, experience a tornado/fire/hurricane and lose it all. :roll:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:47 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
jeddy wrote:

K - then store it all at home, experience a tornado/fire/hurricane and lose it all. :roll:

I don't like to keep copies of any music, since one good sunspot will cause earthquakes that will topple my building, and sink my town, and the accompanying EMP blast will wipe out the "cloud" and all electronic files. :|

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:55 am 

just plain doug wrote:
I don't like to keep copies of any music, since one good sunspot will cause earthquakes that will topple my building, and sink my town, and the accompanying EMP blast will wipe out the "cloud" and all electronic files. :|

Tee-hee! That's why it's best to just retain the knowledge in your head! That way you can make up imaginary guitar solos to accompany the imaginary collections that are stored in the imagination of the imaginer! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:16 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
http://www.crashplan.com

Check it out! I throw all of my audio library up into the cloud so I can rest easy. $3/mo. can get you unlimited data backup - how can you beat that? :mrgreen:

It's great until the website goes broke ha ha.

Naw, digital files are handy but temporary. They should be priced accordingly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:21 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:

That actually happened to me with the cloud backup service I used prior to CrashPlan. They gave me several months to grab whatever I needed before they went under. I would expect other type services to do the same....

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:34 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Ruz-El wrote:

That actually happened to me with the cloud backup service I used prior to CrashPlan. They gave me several months to grab whatever I needed before they went under. I would expect other type services to do the same....

Cool beans

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:58 pm 

Somebody Fairly Smart Predicts Cloud Trouble

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak says beware cloud computing
http://digitaljournal.com/article/330330

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:17 pm 

Mega Upload is a case in point....founder Kim Dot Com (a German born NZ citizen) is in a little trouble at the moment.

The NZ government, acting on information from the FBI, ordered the NZ police to launch an armed raid on his home and seize a bunch of evidence which, for some reason, included all his big boys toys. The massive (by NZ standards) raid and subsequent seizures were later deemed to be totally illegal. The news media have shown television coverage of the raid, which was complete overkill for a man at home with his family and a few friends. It now turns out that our secret police (the SIS) were also spying on the guy, which under NZ law is illegal. The SIS claimed they didn't know he was a NZ citizen. When Kim Dot Com became a New Zealander he celebrated with a, televised by the news media, huge fireworks display from the sky tower, our tallest building in Auckland our largest city, which the SIS apparently were unaware of. The SIS are under the direct control of our prime minister, there is now a lot of finger pointing as to who is to blame for these serious breaches of thier powers. "Our" government is now rushing new laws through parliament to increase the powers of law enforcement agencies to serveil and search with out the usual judicial warrants. It appears Kim could actually sue the NZ government for this debacle....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:10 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Pardon the pun Disco Boy but I don't think our political question-at-hand in your sig file is quite so black-n-white. :roll:

Well then, I don't think you're paying attention to US politics closely enough... :roll:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:15 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
Well then, I don't think you're paying attention to US politics closely enough... :roll:

Really? So you believe that both political leaders are completely equal in all of those categories you have listed in your sig image there? :roll:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:16 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Really? So you believe that both political leaders are completely equal in all of those categories you have listed in your sig image there? :roll:

Please not here. There's threads for this elsewhere. I think this one:

http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19887&hilit=ron+paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:34 pm 

jeddy wrote:
... Keep as much of your life OFF the internet people!
no on-line credit card transactions unless anonymously cyberlaundered [uac]
no gps
lead lined mobile phone case in a 1mm metal mesh bag
no safeway club, price club etc.
no paypal uac
no on-line banking/bill paying uac
no drooling midrange debit card transactions
no automatic payroll deposits
use p.o. box & double blind mail forwarding
no credit cards except anonymous pre-purchased cc's
use tor [.onion]
use proxy browser: https://proxify.com/u?
invest is a decent quality cross-cut shredder
no manufacturer's mail-in rebates
no autocomplete
no google search helper
unlisted land line
use bitcoin
change your alias every 2 years max.
no 2-year phone contract; prepaid only [with cash] minutes
get someone to buy you a mobile phone with cash, beat those phone store security cameras
always give taxi driver the address 4 doors down & across the street
set home page to
about:blank

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:47 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
jeddy wrote:
... Keep as much of your life OFF the internet people!
no on-line credit card transactions unless anonymously cyberlaundered [uac]
no gps
no safeway club, price club etc.
no paypal uac
no on-line banking/bill paying uac
no drooling midrange debit card transactions
no automatic payroll deposits
use p.o. box & double blind mail forwarding
no credit cards except anonymous pre-purchased cc's
use proxy browser: https://proxify.com/u?
invest is a decent quality cross-cut shredder
no manufacturer's mail-in rebates
no autocomplete
no google search helper
unlisted land line
change your alias every 2 years max.
no 2-year phone contract; prepaid only [with cash] minutes
purchase phone anonymously
always give taxi driver the address 4 doors down & across the street
set home page to
about:blank

Man, I sleep just fine. :smoke:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:08 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:
Quote:
I hear what you are saying. I just think that "ultimately shitty" is too harsh. I'd also argue that you could be "tricked" into hearing a 320kbps mp3 and told it was FLAC and not know the difference. Shitty thing to do that to a person? Absolutely - but I stand by my point.

You could absolutely be tricked in to thinking a FLAC was an mp3, just because it's FLAC doesn't mean it sounds good. FLAC has the ability to translate true lossless music since it doesn't have a limit on compression like an mp3. That limit will always do exactly that- limit the compression of mp3 so that it is consitantly and ultimately shitty as far as quality is concerned.

Don't get me wrong, I have a ton of mp3 files, they are handy little things for digital players. They sound fine for what they are, but none of them hold up when played through a decent rig or compared to a CD. they are simply "good enough". The value of "good enough" is in the ears of the beholder. :lol:

I do look forward to see what this road tapes series is like. I never did buy the "Boxset 3" release of Beat The Boots on mp3. The reviews on amazon point to them being terrible. Any opinions?

Same as you, they sounded like a waste of money and were priced way too high.

Post subject: re: roxy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:18 pm 

balint wrote:
thinman wrote:
This "as much as possible" approach is absolutetly nothing I would consider a good idea.
That sounds strange to me ...
yea, the reinforced double negative threw me off for a second Image

thinman/balint wrote:

I'm sorry, but I think FZ's lifetime releases are the most important things. I could pretty much live without most of the posthumous vault releases. There was not one thing that was really as good as one of Frank's own releases...

...we are way ahead of it: we don't need to limit any release to ~40 minutes ( 70 minutes, etc), to album sides, there are plenty of other ways to listen to the music. New and undiscovered ways as well - my wish is ...

... the main medium of FZ's music is NOT the album - that was only because of neccessity...

... I'm fond of the idea that an album is a complete and limited work of art (you have to put a frame around something to know where the wall stops and the painting begins). And an album can and sometimes must be short of course

...even FZ did not think of those as a closed, finished-forever type of thing. And now I'm not only talking about the re-recorded stuff in the eigthies, but the extended version of the In New York album, the longer CD-version of Guitar or the Broadway albums...

good discussion ...

finished-forever didn't exist for fz, now fz is finished-forever and nobody can put an album together like fz, experimentational formats & new frontiers for fz product you wish for is not a real zappa album; the album framework is what zappa had work within, it may have it's limitations - btw, 40 minutes was not impossible by any means - but it is what it is ... the extended cd version of ziny is inferior to the foreshortened lp verson, xtra cd tracks dumped into the original mix [why¿ because he could] invariably watered down the strength of the album

there's a reason fz's posthumous albums with a couple of exceptions, are weaker than original zappa albums, they ain't real zappa albums, and it appears all the first pressings of all the 2012 cd's are a bum batch with mediocre artwork repro, will probably crap out/fade after a couple hundred [couple dozen¿] plays ... high-quality japanese mini-lp versions will follow universal music's intial test runs of this years 4 batches now being flogged in the usa & europe

Post subject: Re: re: roxy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:23 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
and it appears all the first pressings of all the 2012 cd's are a bum batch with mediocre artwork repro, will probably crap out/fade after a couple hundred [couple dozen¿] plays ...

Just as long as you ignore most everyone's opinions listed throughout the forum. :shock: :roll:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:56 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

There's virtually NO difference between the two. BOTH are funded the Goldman Sachs, BOTH are owned and operated by the Military Industrial Complex, BOTH are pro-war, BOTH are anti-constitution, BOTH are demagogues-to-the-max and BOTH are complete full of shit. In fact, the Democrats should be called, the War Party #1 and the Republicans should be called, the War Party #2. And to deny that, you'd either have to be in extreme denial or completely ignorant of the issues. :roll:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:33 am 

Isaac always has a hard time keeping discussions to one thread. Now he's spewing his wacko views of politics in this thread. what a retard. :roll:

...and to deny that Disco Boy is actually another of Isaacs accounts, you'd have to be in extreme denial or are completely ignorant about what really is on that Roxy album. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:44 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
That's why it's best to just retain the knowledge in your head! That way you can make up imaginary guitar solos to accompany the imaginary collections that are stored in the imagination of the imaginer! :mrgreen:

And then you die and lose everything! Whatchya going to do then? Hmm? Yeah, great idea... jaysus.... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:23 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
There's virtually NO difference between the two. BOTH are funded the Goldman Sachs, BOTH are owned and operated by the Military Industrial Complex, BOTH are pro-war, BOTH are anti-constitution, BOTH are demagogues-to-the-max and BOTH are complete full of shit. In fact, the Democrats should be called, the War Party #1 and the Republicans should be called, the War Party #2. And to deny that, you'd either have to be in extreme denial or completely ignorant of the issues. :roll:

you don't even live here!!!

1 - why the fuck do you even care? pay attention to the fake French faggots in your own dumb country.

2 - Shut the fuck up!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:32 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

I don't want to carry this discussion too far, there are other threads for it. But they are NOT the same in terms of support for the poor, equality issues (LGBT rights, immigration rights). I hate war too, and the drones make me sick. But a baby born to a poor mom is better off if O gets re-elected. That is what I care about.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:00 am 

tweezers wrote:

I don't want to carry this discussion too far, there are other threads for it. But they are NOT the same in terms of support for the poor, equality issues (LGBT rights, immigration rights). I hate war too, and the drones make me sick. But a baby born to a poor mom is better off if O gets re-elected. That is what I care about.

no it isn't. All Obama is going to do is perpetuate the fucking free handouts for the lazy fucks who feel entitled.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:05 am 

That's why you get to vote jay, support what and who you want. I'll do likewise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next