Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:50 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
a search for mothermania on Amazon gets 11 results, none of which are for a pre-order...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... othermania

Mothermania? :?
You mean 'M'? :mrgreen:

what?

The acronym for 'Mothermania' = M.
What are you, retarded? :mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:56 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
what?

The acronym for 'Mothermania' = M.
What are you, retarded? :mrgreen:

well... moron, i wouldn't go to Amazon and just search for letter M, retard.

Last edited by jaypfunk on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:57 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
well... moron, i wouldn't to Amazon and just search for letter M, retard.

Obviously :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:48 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

Nice one, Pengie! Hoisted by his own retard!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:00 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

Nice one, Pengie! Hoisted by his own retard!!

HA ha hahhahhaa thanks Doug, reliable as ever, I needed a laugh....

"Am I a fan, or a so-called fan?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:27 am 

If it is a Synclavier-oriented release, I promise I finally will be getting over the missing bass track on Hammersmith, and also, I'm goin' to love the ZFT always and forever. If it's spoken word only -- OMG, that's what the webstream was invented for...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:58 am 

ENOUGH with the fucking Synclavier stuff!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:49 am 

Civilization Phase IV! Fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:36 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

Haha...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:54 pm 

i nominate penguininbondage for my favorite poster of the year...i mean MFPOTY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:55 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

Hahaha, I love that one, because it's so odd --
Could we agree that 3:50 more of it would be acceptable?
:)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:13 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

Hahaha, I love that one, because it's so odd --
Could we agree that 3:50 more of it would be acceptable?

huh?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:44 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:
If it is a Synclavier-oriented release, I promise I finally will be getting over the missing bass track on Hammersmith, and also, I'm goin' to love the ZFT always and forever. If it's spoken word only -- OMG, that's what the webstream was invented for...

Sorry, missing bass track? I've not bought Hammersmith, can someone give me a brief explanation? I was planning on catching up on the post-Zappa released after getting all the Universals.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:52 am 

Ruz-El wrote:
buffalo_voice wrote:

Sorry, missing bass track? I've not bought Hammersmith, can someone give me a brief explanation? I was planning on catching up on the post-Zappa released after getting all the Universals.

"Oh, nevermind" -- FZ

Buffalo Voice is convinced that there is not enough bass on Hammersmith. It's a gross exaggeration. Check out the first 4 seconds of "Bobby Brown" and you can hear it just fine. :roll:

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:59 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Buffalo Voice is convinced that there is not enough bass on Hammersmith. It's a gross exaggeration. Check out the first 4 seconds of "Bobby Brown" and you can hear it just fine. :roll:

I agree. I listened to it again yesterday and it FINE. I wish the whiners would shut the fuck up about it already and if you really don't think there's enough, TURN THE BASS KNOB UP or SET THE EQ PROPERLY, MORONS!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:37 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:

I agree. I listened to it again yesterday and it FINE. I wish the whiners would shut the fuck up about it already and if you really don't think there's enough, TURN THE BASS KNOB UP or SET THE EQ PROPERLY, MORONS!!!

Buffalo Voice is absolutely right. Once again and forever for you old people suffering from hearing loss: There is lots of bass frequencies from keyboards and other stuff on HO, but Pat's bass is completely burried. If you can't tell the difference between overall boomieness and a well placed bass guitar in the mix, then you are forever disqualified for any sound issue discussion. Listen to SY for how it should be!

Th.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:57 am 

Thinman wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:

Buffalo Voice is absolutely right. Once again and forever for you old people suffering from hearing loss: There is lots of bass frequencies from keyboards and other stuff on HO, but Pat's bass is completely burried. If you can't tell the difference between overall boomieness and a well placed bass guitar in the mix, then you are forever disqualified for any sound issue discussion. Listen to SY for how it should be!

Th.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:14 am 

Thinman wrote:

As I pointed out a couple of entries back, listen to the first 6 seconds of "Bobby Brown" - Patrick's bass is right there note-for-note.

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:32 pm 

Ah okay, thanks for the info on the bass track. I get it. It's in the mix, it might not be up front enough for some listeners. I'll give it a shot. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:49 pm 

The problem with HO is not the amount of low end, you dumbasses. It's the level of bass guitar in the mix. You can't hear any of the details of Pat's playing. Either he's too far back in the mix, or all the "midrange meat" has been EQ'd out of his bass. Frank never mixed Pat that way.

Also, Pat's vocal contributions in "Broken Hearts" are practially inaudible. Considering it's from the same batch of recordings as the SY version, it's definitely a mixing problem.

My guess is that the person responsible for mixing HO has never heard any of Frank's mixes of that band before.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:55 pm 

Wen D. Carlos wrote:
The problem with HO is not the amount of low end, you dumbasses. It's the level of bass guitar in the mix. You can't hear any of the details of Pat's playing. Either he's too far back in the mix, or all the "midrange meat" has been EQ'd out of his bass. Frank never mixed Pat that way.

Also, Pat's vocal contributions in "Broken Hearts" are practially inaudible. Considering it's from the same batch of recordings as the SY version, it's definitely a mixing problem.

My guess is that the person responsible for mixing HO has never heard any of Frank's mixes of that band before.

Thankfully you got it. Others will probably never get it. And your explaination is far better than mine.

Th.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:41 am 

Mothermania Oct 30 2012 is not on amazon.com, but is on amazon.co.uk.

I contacted amazon.com and they apologised for not having it and will investigate why not.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:46 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
As I pointed out a couple of entries back, listen to the first 6 seconds of "Bobby Brown" - Patrick's bass is right there note-for-note.

*Rimshot* -- Yupp, and nothing much is happening except bass, organ & a bit of hi-hat during these 5 or 6 seconds. Even there, I would hardly describe it as defined, it has a 'washed', remote feel to it, sorta like it's coming from the 'silent' instrumental tracks, the leakage being turned all the way up, etc.
I like HO pretty much, though, The synths are captured nicely and it has a Kagel-ian spirit goin' on during the PFAB improvs, that's enough of a pleasurable experience for me to call it a nice album --

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:53 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:

*Rimshot* -- Yupp, and nothing much is happening except bass, organ & a bit of hi-hat during these 5 or 6 seconds. Even there, I would hardly describe it as defined, it has a 'washed', remote feel to it, sorta like it's coming from the 'silent' instrumental tracks, the leakage being turned all the way up, etc.
I like HO pretty much, though, The synths are captured nicely and it has a Kagel-ian spirit goin' on during the PFAB improvs, that's enough of a pleasurable experience for me to call it a nice album --

You referred to the issue as a "missing bass track". That is a gross exaggeration. I pointed out a segment that you can clearly hear the bass track is NOT missing. I didn't claim it contained the characteristic of "defined".
You have stated many times very contrary expressions to it being a nice album. Glad to see you flip/flop in favor of it now.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:07 am 

Of course, it's a nice album: It's the 1977/78 band, and one probably couldn't ruin that one, even if one's name was F@%@/#tti.
8)

It is a top-notch source recording (1978), marred by a dismal mixing/mastering job (2010), I think.

PenguinInBondage wrote:
I pointed out a segment that you can clearly hear the bass track is NOT missing.
buffalo_voice wrote:
[...] like it's coming from the 'silent' instrumental tracks, the leakage being turned all the way up [...]

I dunno, still sounding weird to me, like the bass track either mixed out or being very low in the mix with only the stuff that's been picked up by the vocal mikes, or drum mikes, or whatever, in presence.

Last edited by buffalo_voice on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next