Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa Music as Muzak
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:50 am 

This topic is REALLY Random! Last night (10/9/12) I was listening to the SF Giants/Cinn. Reds NLDS playoff game (played in Cincy). At the end of one of the late innings (underneath the din of the crowd and yapping play-by-play guys), I heard the strains of "Peaches En Regalia" playing over the stadium PA system (organ - probably recorded). This is the third or fourth time in my 41 years of listening to FZ that I've heard his music recreated in this manner. One time was while watching a Hockey game on TV (P en R. again); another on the local Washington DC PBS station during a station ID (Yellow Shark version of Dog Meat as well as Exercise Four); and another time in a department store (Peaches yet again). I was wondering, has anyone else come across this phenomena?

Post subject: Re: Zappa Music as Muzak
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:32 pm 

I've heard Stolen Moments in a grocery store as Muzak.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:45 am 

In 2005, Quebec City, I was having breakfast at Cora's and they played Chunga's Revenge as muzak. Weirdest Zappa moment ever.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:34 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Frank didn't write Stolen Moments. It's a jazz standard.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:51 am 

They used to play Peaches all the time at Rangers hockey games at Madison Square Garden. They played Blessed Relief on Sirius Radio the other day. That's a first.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:15 pm 

Uncle Z wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I'm devastated. (Actually, I'm not - I'd rather know it's a standard than "they picked that of Franks for muzak?".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:41 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Uncle Z wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
I'm devastated. (Actually, I'm not - I'd rather know it's a standard than "they picked that of Franks for muzak?".
Standard or not, it was one of Zappa's favourite pieces and the '88 band did a cover of it which I quite like. (I have the original as well but I really like the version on Broadway The Hard Way). So Cal, was it the cover from BTHW or the original?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:50 pm 

Rahdley wrote:
They used to play Peaches all the time at Rangers hockey games at Madison Square Garden. They played Blessed Relief on Sirius Radio the other day. That's a first.

I've heard several FZ songs on XM radio on various channels. They play him on Jam On occasionally; apparently they believe Frank to be a jam band......

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:30 pm 

polydigm wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Standard or not, it was one of Zappa's favourite pieces and the '88 band did a cover of it which I quite like. (I have the original as well but I really like the version on Broadway The Hard Way). So Cal, was it the cover from BTHW or the original?

I just heard the main melody before the solos, so I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:36 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Rahdley wrote:

I've heard several FZ songs on XM radio on various channels. They play him on Jam On occasionally; apparently they believe Frank to be a jam band......

I think Frank along with the Grateful Dead (obviously) and the Allman Brothers are looked upon reverentially by many in the current "jam band" scene. Frank and Band did do a lot of jamming.