Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 120  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:28 am 

The original mixes of ZINY sound like you were on stage in the middle of the band. The CD mixes sound like you are listening from the restrooms while having a peebreak.
___

IMO he succeeded with OF. The rock band/orchestra combination is very good. He did it "at home" in LA and obviously had more control (he might have had a different view on this). The results speak for themselves.

Not so with the London Symphony stuff. A nice "demo" of how it could have been.

Th.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:44 am 

Thinman wrote:
The original mixes of ZINY sound like you were on stage in the middle of the band. The CD mixes sound like you are listening from the restrooms while having a peebreak.
___

IMO he succeeded with OF. The rock band/orchestra combination is very good. He did it "at home" in LA and obviously had more control (he might have had a different view on this). The results speak for themselves.

Not so with the London Symphony stuff. A nice "demo" of how it could have been.

Th.

Interesting. I don't think I was ever really aware that there were different mixes of ZINY. So the only original mixes you can hear of ZINY digitally are on Lather then?

I agree with OF - the beauty of the album is that you're getting a hybrid of a rock band and orchestra - whereas LSO is strictly orchestral (pun intended).

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:09 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
I don't think I was ever really aware that there were different mixes of ZINY. …
:?
PenguinInBondage wrote:
… So the only original mixes you can hear of ZINY digitally are on Lather then?

Not completely of course.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:51 am 

Thinman wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
I don't think I was ever really aware that there were different mixes of ZINY. …
:?

Well, meaning that the songs from ZINY on Lather are different songs or versions than ZINY *and* I never had the ZINY vinyl. So my only exposure to ZINY has been the Ryko release.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:56 am 

Quote:
Seven songs on the UNCENSORED VINYL version of Zappa in New York also appear on the Läther album in exactly the same way:
▪ "Titties & Beer"
▪ "I Promise Not to Come in Your Mouth" (called "Läther" on Läther)
▪ "Punky's Whips"
▪ "The Illinois Enema Bandit" (called "The Legend of the Illinois Enema Bandit" on Läther)
▪ "The Black Page #1"
▪ "Big Leg Emma"
▪ "The Purple Lagoon/Approximate"
Only one New York track is exclusive to Läther:
▪ "Honey, Don't You Want a Man Like Me?": alternate version
The CD version of Zappa In New York is completely re-assembled and remixed, and bears no relation to Läther and the vinyl version of Zappa In New York other than the fact that it contains completely different mixes of some of the same performances.

Source: http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/ziny.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:21 am 

Thinman wrote:
Quote:
Seven songs on the UNCENSORED VINYL version of Zappa in New York also appear on the Läther album in exactly the same way:
▪ "Titties & Beer"
▪ "I Promise Not to Come in Your Mouth" (called "Läther" on Läther)
▪ "Punky's Whips"
▪ "The Illinois Enema Bandit" (called "The Legend of the Illinois Enema Bandit" on Läther)
▪ "The Black Page #1"
▪ "Big Leg Emma"
▪ "The Purple Lagoon/Approximate"
Only one New York track is exclusive to Läther:
▪ "Honey, Don't You Want a Man Like Me?": alternate version
The CD version of Zappa In New York is completely re-assembled and remixed, and bears no relation to Läther and the vinyl version of Zappa In New York other than the fact that it contains completely different mixes of some of the same performances.

Source: http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/ziny.html

Thanks, Thin One! I never really knew the "full monty" on those details!

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:35 am 

Punky's Whips is unbearable on the Ryko CD. The guitar completely buries the subtle horn arrangements.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:26 pm 

Thanks for all the ZINY info. Yesterday I stumbled onto a vinyl first pressing (used) of 200 Motels at my beloved local shop Listen Records. I grabbed it since there's no word if it's going to be included in these 2012 releases. I'll keep my peepers open for a ZINY copy as well in case we don't get a project/object version.

I didn't hate Orchestral Favorites, I just wasn't wowed by it. I'm familiar with all the difficulties Zappa had with LSO, but I find it more satisfying. At least I did. I have to admit I stopped playing LSO after Yellow Shark came out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:50 pm 

Just listening to Joe's Garage

Man! Did Frank ever write anything as hypnotic and hallucinating as "He Used to Cut my Grass"?
Unbelievable.....so intoxicating....

This is why people thought he was on drugs.
You can really trip out to much of Joe's Garage.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:31 am 

Thinman wrote:

It's Ok that you prefer the vinyl mix - and I do, too - but your description of the CD mix here is ridiculously exaggerated and somewhat undermines you credibility .

HJ wrote:
Punky's Whips is unbearable on the Ryko CD. The guitar completely buries the subtle horn arrangements.

Another absolutely understandable OPINION, but many ignorant, visceral teenagers who heard Punky with guitar overdubs first will continue to think that's a pretty cool thing.

I wonder how people would have felt about the guitar overdubs on Sofa, if those hadn't been on the original vinyl mix? Horribly unsubtle?

Y'all should remember that FZ loved tweezing things, often in unnatural ways. You can hear this way back from when he was an engineer and apprentice producer with Paul Buff. Lots of strange and unusual techniques going on there. I'd say his penchant for the "unnatural" is part of his creative genius.

I'm not about to defend the bad CD mixes, but there you go, that's FZ - experimenting with exciting available devices.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:44 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
Thinman wrote:

It's Ok that you prefer the vinyl mix - and I do, too - but your description of the CD mix here is ridiculously exaggerated

I thought that was obvious. But I better shouldn't have left out the :wink:

Th.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:54 am 

Cool, Thin 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:26 am 

thx Dark Clothes, imma go listen to sofa now

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:47 am 

Can someone please explain to me why in HMV, albums cost $10, where as they're £15 here in the UK?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:00 am 

a week ago i purchased the new tinseltown rebellion remaster.

Sounds great and doesn't have the crossfades. :smurf:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:39 am 

My review of the first twelve, finally gone up (it was finished a month back, honest!) Fully expecting folks here to tear me apart on this one. Not that I wrote the piece to troll, I hope my love for some of the albums comes over more strongly than my dislike of others.

http://thequietus.com/articles/10273-frank-zappa-reissues-review

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:11 am 

Thinman wrote:
Dark Clothes wrote:
Thinman wrote:

It's Ok that you prefer the vinyl mix - and I do, too - but your description of the CD mix here is ridiculously exaggerated …

I thought that was obvious. But I better shouldn't have left out the :wink:

Th.

Yeah, for what it's worth, I thought it was rather much too. But I didn't want to reply until I gave the CD mixes another spin for fear of agreeing with your statement later. :wink:

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:24 pm 

Just got through both Joes Garage and Tinseltown Rebellion. I loved both of these on the Ryko CDs, but holy hell do they sound alive on these re-issues. Beautiful stuff, though on Tinsel I would of liked a compromise where they got rid of the fadeouts that would of appeared on the vinyl. A very small nit-pick, to be sure.

Onward to Shut Up and Play Your Guitar. I was never huge on the Zappa's guitar solo albums, maybe a revisit will change my mind.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:16 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:
... on Tinsel I would of liked a compromise where they got rid of the fadeouts that would of appeared on the vinyl. A very small nit-pick, to be sure. ...
The fadeout thing is a bit freaky, especially on You Are What You Is, but I think that there would be a hell of a lot of bitching going down here if they had decided to edit tracks together. They obviously can't even dream of doing that, if you think about it, unless the dream somehow involves resurrecting Mr Frank himself. People nagged and nagged about original vinyl masters and now they're getting a whole heap of them. I for one am glad.

After my first shock from Dumb All Over (which is appropriate given that if I was really smart I should have expected it), I'm now fully on board.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:16 pm 

Oh yeah for sure, I wouldn't want any music cut to eliminate the fades. On Tinsel most of the fadeouts are crowd noise and you're right. If they cut and smashed the tracks together it would be just as jarring I suppose.

Listening to Shut Up and Play Your Guitar. I'm not sure why I was never huge on Zappa's guitar albums because I'm digging the shit out of this. I think it's a case that one of my fist Zappa albums was a blind buy of "Guitar". Discovering that all those awesome song titles were for guitar solos instead of clever songs with lyrics left me flat. With fresh ears and better understanding of Zappa, I can not only appreciate the playing to found here, but get into much more. Great stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:03 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:
With fresh ears and better understanding of Zappa, I can not only appreciate the playing to found here, but get into much more. Great stuff.

That's one of the many things I love about Zappa. The more I listen to him, the more I appreciate him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:35 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:
Listening to Shut Up and Play Your Guitar. I'm not sure why I was never huge on Zappa's guitar albums because I'm digging the shit out of this. With fresh ears and better understanding of Zappa, I can not only appreciate the playing to found here, but get into much more. Great stuff.

that's because the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. it's got it's own identity.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:08 am 

Normally I am highly annoyed with selfish posters with HUGE photo signatures, but in Cleon's case it comes in quite handy, makes it easy to not mistakenly read his posts...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:52 am 

Ruz-El wrote:
Oh yeah for sure, I wouldn't want any music cut to eliminate the fades. On Tinsel most of the fadeouts are crowd noise and you're right. If they cut and smashed the tracks together it would be just as jarring I suppose.

The "FZ 25" Ryko 1990 version of Tinseltown has the applause endings of For The Young Sophisticate and Pick Me I'm Clean edited out, IMO a good decision. I guess for this new series they wanted to be true to the vinyl version.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:12 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
http://www.zappafrenzy.com/maxisingles/1983-Barking_Pumpkin_Goes_Digital/Barking_Pumpkin_Goes_Digital.html
What year was that pressed Thing Fish Barking Pumpkin released on EMI used 1984 Copyright though that version was 1985 also FZ first CD 1986 i don't think he was advertising CD 1983 :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 120  Next