Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:46 am 

What do you mean full of shit?

Being fine (haha) in South Wales as you indicate is simply a self deluded defence mechanism.

You are a big girls blouse.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:49 am 

You just summed it up again.Cool thanks :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:11 am 

cleon wrote:
You just summed it up again.Cool thanks :mrgreen:

You are most welcome, especially as you seem to have come unstuck with the end of your personailty.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:42 am 

Your full of shit boring and now got your head stuck up your ass :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:45 am 

Oh dear..

You had better have the last word then......

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:48 am 

So there is such thing now as fact :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:58 am 

cleon wrote:
So there is such thing now as fact :mrgreen:

There is now such thing as fact
Now there is such thing as fact
Such there thing is now as fact
Now such thing there is as fact

No still don't understand..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:06 am 

Lets add you lie,your looking weak.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:48 pm 

Steve Vai and Joe Satriani don't make the list but Kurt Cobain and Lou Reed do?

Utter shite.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:02 pm 

A lot of my favorites aren't on there either. If they were a guitar magazine you'd get a different list. RS thinks of the songs more than the uh, wankery.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:28 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
A lot of my favorites aren't on there either. If they were a guitar magazine you'd get a different list. RS thinks of the songs more than the uh, wankery.
I'm not saying I agree with the list, but here are the voters*:

trey anastasio, dan auerbach (the black keys), brian bell (weezer), ritchie backmore (deep purple), carl broemel (my morning jacket), james burton, jerry cantrell (alice in chains), gary clark jr., billy corgan, steve cropper, dave davies (the kinks), anthony decurtis (contributing editor, rolling stone), tom delonge (blink-182), rick derringer, luther dickinson (north mississippi allstars), elliot easton (the cars), melissa etheridge, don felder (the eagles), david ficke (senior writer, rolling stone), peter guralnick (author), kirk hammett (metallica), albert hammond jr. (the strokes), warren haynes (the allman brothers band), brian hiatt (senior writer, rolling stone), david hidalgo (los lobos), jim james (my morning jacket), lenny kravitz, robby krieger (the doors), jon landau (manager), alex lifeson (rush), nils lofgren (the e street band), mick mars (mötley crüe), doug martsch (built to spill), j mascis (dinosaur jr.), brian may, mike mccready (pearl jam), roger mcguinn (the byrds), scotty moore, thurston moore (sonic youth), tom morello, dave mustaine (megadeth), brendan o’brien (producer), joe perry, vernon reid (living colour), robbie robertson, rich robinson (the black crowes), carlos santana, kenny wayne shepherd, marnie stern, stephen stills, andy summers, mick taylor, susan tedeschi, vieux farka touré, derek trucks, eddie van halen, joe walsh, nancy wilson (heart)

quite a few guitar players.

*copied from the rolling stone website

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:48 pm 

As long as this person from Botswana is not in this list, i blow my nose at all of you !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx4cRw6TIIg&feature=player_embedded

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:44 pm 

No Todd Rundgren or Tony Borge... :?

:smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:06 pm 

You can blow your nose, sneer out of the shit box or get vexed and waste a lot of energy about anything to do with all this horrible nostalgia. But I seriously question the collective mental state of the consumer of youthful creativity now. Were there these lists during the 60's?when there was 'something in the air' arguably the most creative period in youth history which had no truck with lists, just an end of year poll in Beat Instrumental and you moved on to another year of excitement. This list is a symptom of creative paralysis and a waste of peoples time and energy picking the fluff out of this horrible arsewipe's* navel

*Rolling Stone. Is the mouthpiece of Arsewipe Jan Webber still active in its existence?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:19 pm 

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
You can blow your nose, sneer out of the shit box or get vexed and waste a lot of energy about anything to do with all this horrible nostalgia. But I seriously question the collective mental state of the consumer of youthful creativity now. Were there these lists during the 60's?when there was 'something in the air' arguably the most creative period in youth history which had no truck with lists, just an end of year poll in Beat Instrumental and you moved on to another year of excitement. This list is a symptom of creative paralysis and a waste of peoples time and energy picking the fluff out of this horrible arsewipe's* navel

*Rolling Stone. Is the mouthpiece of Arsewipe Jan Webber still active in its existence?

Here is a question, what was the earliest Top Rock Guitar lists, I imagin it probably was Rolling Stone Mag, but I don't know shit.... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:55 am 

Or not him again :roll: :mrgreen:
Yes Plook Tony Bourge and Dave Edmunds :wink:

Early polls
http://www.downbeat.com/default.asp?sect=cpollindex

Do a Zappa search he is there Earliest poll he is in 1970

George: I bought a copy of Down Beat so I could carry it around and look like I knew what was happening.
From 200 Motels movie :P
("I Am Bwana Dik")
I don't suppose it had a name until chapter DVD came out!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:11 am 

I'm always a bit suspicious of these polls. Peter Green is a great guitarist and rarely if ever gets a look-in

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:36 am 

I hate those lists. And people read them as if it was a fact!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:19 am 

blsabob23 wrote:

Utter shite.

Fuck Rolling Stone, but I agree that Lou Reed and Kurt Cobain are better guitarists than those other 2 guys, simply based on influence. And the feeling/passion/emotional directness of their playing. Listening to Vai and Satriani is like listening to someone practice. Boring. They should have been track stars. Or NASCAR drivers. They seem to be expressing nothing except their experience of sitting alone in their room playing scales really fast. I wont even discuss their inability to write a good song.
Still, I like them more than Rolling Advertisement, I mean Rolling Stone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:22 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
blsabob23 wrote:

Utter shite.

Fuck Rolling Stone, but I agree that Lou Reed and Kurt Cobain are better guitarists than those other 2 guys, simply based on influence. And the feeling/passion/emotional directness of their playing. Listening to Vai and Satriani is like listening to someone practice. Boring. They should have been track stars. Or NASCAR drivers. They seem to be expressing nothing except their experience of sitting alone in their room playing scales really fast. I wont even discuss their inability to write a good song.
Still, I like them more than Rolling Advertisement, I mean Rolling Stone.

You should have been a magazine editor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:39 am 

Ah. I had to read Reebee Garofalo's book on the history of pop music. In one of his more recent chapters, it appears he had a celeb crush on Britney Spears and even takes up some space to mention she did her own backflips in her first music video.
Of course, I can totally see how being able to do a backflip makes you a good musician. Geez.

Someone is a good guitarist if (s)he can play guitar well, not if (s)he can write a good song, sells a lot of records, influences a lot of people, lives in America or the UK, has a head full of wacky hair or eats bats for breakfast. Don't confuse the lot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:44 pm 

BBP wrote:
Someone is a good guitarist if (s)he can play guitar well, not if (s)he can write a good song, sells a lot of records, influences a lot of people, lives in America or the UK, has a head full of wacky hair or eats bats for breakfast. Don't confuse the lot.

Being a good guitarist means that you can express something on your instrument that has a strong impact on the listeners. Writing a good song on the guitar makes you a good guitarist. It's absolutely relevant. Another thing that makes a good musician is a sense of melody. Vai and Satriani rarely display any melodic goodness. It's all calisthenics with these guys.

If a guy paints a house really, really fast and the house looks like shit, is he a good painter? Is he good because he's fast or because he makes what he paints look good? People don't want to point out that Satriani, Vai etc are not very good guitarists because those guys could easily whip out some razzle dazzle technical bullshit that would take hours of wanking to learn. But if someone made a painting by randomly throwing paint at a canvas, that painting would also take hours to duplicate. That doesn't make it a good painting.

Practicing scales does not make you a good musician. The notes are the least important thing in music.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:21 pm 

a good musician is good for the person that think hes good, its called taste & taste are personal, if you like it its good for you if another person think its crap so its garbage for him/her.

I would like more a list made by the top 10 world musicologists 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:38 pm 

ZutboF wrote:
a good musician is good for the person that think hes good, its called taste & taste are personal, if you like it its good for you if another person think its crap so its garbage for him/her.

I would like more a list made by the top 10 world musicologists 8)

I agree Zutbof. Zappa even said this I think: the definition of good music is music that sounds good to you. Personally, I like some music (and guitarists) that are very technical and some that are very primitive. Conversely, some on both sides of the spectrum don't hold my interest. There was a time when I was very into what Vai and Satriani were doing but I'm not so much interested in anything they've done lately - I think I've pretty much heard it all from them. Hopefully they still have a few surprises up their sleeves.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:23 pm 

ZutboF wrote:
I would like more a list made by the top 10 world musicologists

Don't encourage those assholes.

ZutboF wrote:
a good musician is good for the person that think hes good, its called taste & taste are personal,

True.

My argument is that nobody likes Joe Satriani's guitar playing for musical reasons, they like it for competitive reasons. The way they like a sports team. And they'll never admit it! They will insist that they actually listen to it for musical pleasure. As if. They just want to cheer for the fastest guy. They want to win.

Could anyone transcribe this genius paint job for me?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next