Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 120  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:44 am 

SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:
But hey: is MOFO and Lumpy Money worth getting? Is it better sound on those suckers than on the shitty RYKO-discs?

I'm thinking about buying Greasy Love Songs, I love those songs, but the current edition of CWRATJ sucks ass. Worth it?

Anyone? It's seems that since I'm a new member, my posts were delayed.

I'm a fan of both Lumpy/Money and Cruisin. The 4 disc MOFO is fantastic as well. I'm clearly no help in saving you money... :P

Still no LSO in the shops in my neck of the woods as far as I can tell. Maybe it will get shipped with the next batch.

Speaking of the next batch, we're looking at the 80's titles that as far as I know were only released as digital masters on CD. Where any of these revisited with better sonics in 95 by RYKO, or see second pressings? I have stuff like Jazz From Hell and YCDTOSA vol 1-6 that are first editions or whatever, not from the re-branded Rykos in '95. I know some of the two disc sets got re-released in single cases instead of the fat old style double disc cases, but I don't know if the mastering changed. I'm on the fence with "upgrading" these ones. I like the thinner cases of these 2012 sets. :S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:03 am 

I haven't listened to all of the final five analog remasters yet, but here's what I have so far:

Joe's Garage: I am undecided on this one. Overall, the 2012 disc sounds better than the Ryko disc. The Ryko sounds thin compared to the new release. However, Frank's guitar sounds clearer on the Ryko. For example, listen to "Packard Goose" from 3:40 on. The incredible flanging, echoing and feeding back of Frank's guitar doesn't come through the same on the new disc.

Tinseltown Rebellion: Sounds great, like a slightly beefed-up version of the EMI disc.

Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar: Lovely. Sounds even better than the previous, three-disc edition.

You Are What You Is: Overall sound is great, like a slightly beefed-up version of the EMI disc. However, the beefing up does seem to mask some details. For instance, the flanging on Frank's voice on Dumb All Over is not as prominent and therefore not as menacing (probably too strong a word, but you get the idea).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:46 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
I've never heard of being a new member resulting in "delayed posts". :|
To answer your question, I thoroughly enjoyed all three of those releases!

Well, not delayed maybe, but the first posts had to be accepted by a moderator before being published, and my post wasn't published until later, which made it lost in this gigantic thread. (Excuse my bad english. :wink:)
I've heard positive words about MOFO and GLS. But there seams to be another thing with Lumpy Money. I've heard it's not the stereo mix, is that correct?
Thanks!

Ruz-El wrote:
I'm a fan of both Lumpy/Money and Cruisin. The 4 disc MOFO is fantastic as well. I'm clearly no help in saving you money... :P

Thanks! :wink: I think I'll get GLS first. I love CWRATJ, but the CD version sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:30 pm 

If memory serves, Lumpy Money is the mono mix of Money, the original mix of Gravy as heard on the first Verve vinyl, a weird previously unreleased 84 remix of Lumpy with added thing fish sounding vocals on a bit of it and re-done bass and drums, then the 84 remix of money with the re-recorded drum and bass that doesn't really fit the music, but also features a completely uncensored lyric version of the album that's not available anywhere else. I don't mind the 84 remix as much as others, I thought it sounded not bad on this disc compared to the original slplit CD, but those drum and bass re-records still stick out like a sore thumb.

The 3rd disc has all sorts of stuff on it from both albums and is pretty nice to listen to too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:10 pm 

But hey: is MOFO and Lumpy Money worth getting? Is it better sound on those suckers than on the shitty RYKO-discs?

I'm thinking about buying Greasy Love Songs, I love those songs, but the current edition of CWRATJ sucks ass. Worth it?

Anyone? It's seems that since I'm a new member, my posts were delayed.

MOFO, Greasy Love Songs and Lumpy Money are all essential as they contain different mixes to the 2012 CDs.

Ruz-El wrote:
If memory serves, Lumpy Money is the mono mix of Money, the original mix of Gravy as heard on the first Verve vinyl, a weird previously unreleased 84 remix of Lumpy with added thing fish sounding vocals on a bit of it and re-done bass and drums, then the 84 remix of money with the re-recorded drum and bass that doesn't really fit the music, but also features a completely uncensored lyric version of the album that's not available anywhere else. I don't mind the 84 remix as much as others, I thought it sounded not bad on this disc compared to the original slplit CD, but those drum and bass re-records still stick out like a sore thumb.

The 3rd disc has all sorts of stuff on it from both albums and is pretty nice to listen to too.

Lumpy Money actually has the unreleased Capitol instrumental version of Lumpy Gravy, which was very different to the Verve version.

The 2012 CD of Lumpy Gravy pretty much matches the original Verve LP (aside from one section in mono rather than stereo)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:45 am 

Laservampire wrote:
MOFO, Greasy Love Songs and Lumpy Money are all essential as they contain different mixes to the 2012 CDs.

Ruz-El wrote:

Lumpy Money actually has the unreleased Capitol instrumental version of Lumpy Gravy, which was very different to the Verve version.

The 2012 CD of Lumpy Gravy pretty much matches the original Verve LP (aside from one section in mono rather than stereo)

Okay! That sounds nice! Thank you guys! :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:33 am 

The post I'm quoting took over a week to get approved, so I'm guessing not many folks will have seen it. So here it is again, assuming this one won't take a week to approve also. How long before my posts go through automatically. Is it ten posts or a certain time after I've registered or just random?

Master Ringo wrote:
My review of the first twelve, finally gone up (it was finished a month back, honest!) Fully expecting folks here to tear me apart on this one. Not that I wrote the piece to troll, I hope my love for some of the albums comes over more strongly than my dislike of others.

http://thequietus.com/articles/10273-frank-zappa-reissues-review

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:27 am 

Just ordered Apostrophe ('), I hope it sounds better than the RYKO-version. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:06 am 

the sound of a 500lb yak shooting explosive diarrhea onto the hood of a 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner in sublime green sounds better than that hunk of shit Ryko CD.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:24 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

the sound of a 500lb yak shooting explosive diarrhea onto the hood of a 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner in sublime green sounds better than that hunk of shit Ryko CD.

Then I bet I'll be happy with the new version. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:16 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

Then I bet I'll be happy with the new version. :)

Or you'll discover you enjoy yak shit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:42 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

I would argue that Zappa presented in nearly any format would sound better than that but your point is taken.

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:51 pm 

Over the past week or so, I listened to almost all of the remastered titles, apart from Them Or Us. I actually haven't heard most of the original vinyl mixes, so I was astonished with the clarity of most of the titles in comparison to the '90s Ryko versions that I'm more familiar with, especially without the digital reverb included.

The titles with the least amount of differences are, Just Another Band From LA, One Size Fits All, Bongo Fury, Studio Tan & Joe's Garage, Acts I, II & III. Though, these do contain more bottom end (like the rest), which was definitely needed.

But once you hear, Absolutely Free, Hot Rats, Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Chunga's Revenge, Fillmore East - June '71, Waka Jawaka, The Grand Wazoo, Over-nite Sensation, Apostrophe ('), Zoot Allures, Sleep Dirt, Sheik Yerbouti, Shut Up N' Play Yer Guitar, You Are What You Is & Tinsel Town Rebellion...you're going to SHIT. You might as well be sitting right in the studio with FZ and his musicians, the quality is THAT excellent. :shock:

There is NO doubt that these remastered versions should now be considered part of THE definitive FZ catalogue...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:00 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
… The titles with the least amount of differences are, … One Size Fits All, Bongo Fury, …

What?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:40 am 

Ruz-El wrote:

Well, the other Zappa 2012 remasters that I bought, sounds way better than the RYKO-discs. If it's the same with Apostrophe ('), then I guess the RYKO disc (read yak shit) is going down the garbage bin. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:45 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:

Well, the other Zappa 2012 remasters that I bought, sounds way better than the RYKO-discs. If it's the same with Apostrophe ('), then I guess the RYKO disc (read yak shit) is going down the garbage bin. :)

The Ryko Apostrophe is worth keeping though, as it's a different mix.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:34 pm 

Laservampire wrote:
Ruz-El wrote:

So it's kinda like Hot Rats, 'cause I see advantages in the RYKO-mix.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:59 am 

Laservampire wrote:

So it's kinda like Hot Rats, 'cause I see advantages in the RYKO-mix.
+1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:31 am 

Damn... Haven't got my copy of Apostrophe yet. :(

Have ordered it from an international internetstore, which recently got to Sweden. WOWHD is it's name. Low prices, no shipping fee. But I've heard they are slow as fuck.

Well, well. Apostrophe only cost me 76 swedish kronor, which is 11,39 US dollars (damn, the dollar is low now, 1 dollar is 6,67 kronor, a couple of years ago, 1 dollar was nearly 10 kronor).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:17 am 

Next 10 are here

Broadway, Guitar, Jazz From Hell - 1994 1630 Digital Master - Grand Rights Project/Object
Best Band - 1990 1630 Digital Master - Grand Rights
Jazz Noise - 1991 1630 Digital Master - Grand Rights Project/Object
YCDTOSA 1 & 2 - 1993 1630 Digital Master - Grand Rights Project/Object
Does Humour - 1994 1630 Digital Master - Grand Rights
Mothers of Prevention - 1994 1630 Digital Master
Francesco - 1993 1630 Digital Master - Grand Rights

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:19 am 

No Mothermania? No Understanding America?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:56 pm 

I found a place which seemingly has more posts about these reissues than this forum :shock:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showt ... &p=7969764

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:16 pm 

I think all those digital masters are newer digital masters then I own. Looks like I'm buying the works!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:37 pm 

I pre-ordered Mothermania, Guitar, and YCDTOSA Vols. 1 & 2 from Best Buy. Just checked on the order. They are preparing Guitar and the two YCDTOSAs for shipping, but not Mothermania.

I'm not getting a good feeling about them meeting the release date for Mothermania.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:20 pm 

Mothermania is due for release on 26th November from Amazon UK. CD Universe is still saying 30th October. I'm officially confused and won't be hitting the buy button on this one just yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 120  Next