Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219 ... 357  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:08 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
BBP wrote:
A major art theft in The Netherlands: seven major paintings were stolen from the Kunsthalle in Rotterdam. Among them a Picasso, two Monets, a Gauguin and a Matisse.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2686/Binnenland/article/detail/3332410/2012/10/16/Zeven-topschilderijen-gestolen-uit-Kunsthal.dhtml

To what outcome? Are there black market people willing to buy them? I've heard of it before, but not for a while.

I get paid on Thursday. I might be able to spring for a couple of them to finish off the apartment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:24 pm 

KUIII wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
BBP wrote:
A major art theft in The Netherlands: seven major paintings were stolen from the Kunsthalle in Rotterdam. Among them a Picasso, two Monets, a Gauguin and a Matisse.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2686/Binnenland/article/detail/3332410/2012/10/16/Zeven-topschilderijen-gestolen-uit-Kunsthal.dhtml

To what outcome? Are there black market people willing to buy them? I've heard of it before, but not for a while.

I get paid on Thursday. I might be able to spring for a couple of them to finish off the apartment.

LMFAO... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:07 am 

Often, paintings like these get stolen and are used as payment in the drug scene. It's also possible that a private collector wanted them real bad. At any rate, the theft was well organized. I wonder if it might be an inside job.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:13 pm 

Their staging these thefts world wide to collect the great masters works and store them in an effort to avoid there loss in the coming Mayan Apocalypse on Frank Zappa’s birthday…I have heard they have already replaced most the works at the Louvre Museum with copies…

:smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:31 pm 

BBP wrote:
Often, paintings like these get stolen and are used as payment in the drug scene. It's also possible that a private collector wanted them real bad. At any rate, the theft was well organized. I wonder if it might be an inside job.

We'll find out. Eventually.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:56 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
pedro1 wrote:
Mr. G G ,
Being serious here .... what has Brazil done for the rest of the world ??
I'm sure it's a great country , but with all the negativity you toss at the US , what has your country done that you would view as better than the US in terms of service to the rest of the world ?
And I AM being serious.. 8)

What negativity I toss towards the US. Because I remind you there was a Vietnam War? Because I remind you about Iraq? And what has the US done for the world? You really think you saved the world from Hitler. No doubt you helped a lot, but not alone, not without the Russians and not without the blood of hundreds of thousands of soldiers from different nationalities, including 25,300 Brazilian soldiers...

I NEVER said Brazil was so much better than the rest or the US. But OK you asked, here is a small list:

It is the fifth largest country by geographical area, occupying nearly half of South America, the fifth most populous country, and the fourth most populous democracy in the world.

All the gold you have on the US which came from England in last stance came from Brazil, through Portugal...

Santos Dumond: The REAL inventor of the airplane, the wrist watch and other devices. The true father of aviation...

During WWII: Brazil permitted the US to set up air bases in the states of Bahia, Pernambuco and Rio Grande do Norte, where the city of Natal received part of the U.S. Navy's VP-52 patrol squadron. Also, the U.S. Task Force 3 established itself in Brazil, including a squad equipped to attack submarines and merchant vessels which tried to exchange goods with Japan. If you saved the world, well we helped...

Brazil is the world's tenth largest economy at market exchange rates and the ninth largest by purchasing power parity... Major export products include aircraft, coffee, automobiles, soybean, iron ore, orange juice, steel, ethanol, textiles, footwear, corned beef and electrical equipment. The country has been expanding its presence in international financial and commodities markets, and is regarded as one of the group of four emerging economies called BRIC...

Brazil's large territory comprises different ecosystems, such as the Amazon Rainforest, recognized as having the greatest biological diversity in the world; the Atlantic Forest and the Cerrado, which together sustain some of the world's greatest biodiversity. In the south, the Araucaria pine forest grows under temperate conditions. The rich wildlife of Brazil reflects the variety of natural habitats; however, remains largely unknown, and new species are found on nearly a daily basis... Scientists estimate that the total number of plant and animal species in Brazil could approach four million!!!

Brazil is a political and economic leader in Latin America. Brazil is endowed with vast agricultural resources.... AGAIN: Brazil has a moderate free market and export-oriented economy. Measured nominally, its gross domestic product surpasses a trillion dollars, the tenth in the world and the second in the Americas; measured by purchasing power parity, $1.9 trillion, making it the eighth largest economy in the world and the second largest in the Americas, after the United States... Brazil has the second biggest industrial sector in the Americas.

Proven mineral resources are extensive. Large iron and manganese reserves are important sources of industrial raw materials and export earnings. Deposits of nickel, tin, chromite, uranium, bauxite, beryllium, copper, lead, tungsten, zinc, gold, and other minerals are exploited. High-quality cooking-grade coal required in the steel industry is in short supply.

The owner of a sophisticated technological sector, Brazil develops projects that range from submarines to aircraft and is involved in space research: the country possesses a satellite launching center and was the only country in the Southern Hemisphere to integrate the team responsible for the construction of the International Space Station (ISS). It is also a pioneer in many fields, including ethanol production.

Brazil, together with Mexico, has been at the forefront of the Latin American multinationals phenomenon by which — thanks to superior technology and organization — local companies have successfully turned global. These multinationals have made this transition notably by investing massively abroad, in the region and beyond, and thus realizing an increasing portion of their revenues internationally.

A pioneer and leader in the manufacture of short-fiber timber cellulose, Brazil has also achieved positive results within the packaging sector, in which it is the fifth largest world producer. In the foreign markets, it answers for 25% of global exports of raw cane and refined sugar; it is the world leader in soybean exports and is responsible for 80% of the planet’s orange juice, and since 2003, has had the highest sales figures for beef and chicken, among the countries that deal in this sector...

A performance that puts agribusiness in a position of distinction in terms of Brazil’s trade balance, in spite of trade barriers and subsidizing policies adopted by the developed countries.

Brazil is also a pioneer in the fields of deep water oil research from where 73% of its reserves are extracted. According to government statistics, Brazil was the first capitalist country to bring together the ten largest car assembly companies inside its national territory...

In general current Brazilian foreign policy reflects multilateralism, peaceful dispute settlement, and nonintervention in the affairs of other countries...

The Brazilian armed forces are the largest in Latin America.

In arts, important modern artists Anita Malfatti and Tarsila do Amaral were both early pioneers in Brazilian art...

The festival of Carnival (Portuguese: Carnaval), with its spectacular street parades and vibrant music, has become one of the most potent images of Brazil; an annual celebration held forty days before Easter and marks the beginning of Lent. Carnival is celebrated throughout Brazil, with distinct regional characteristics, but the most spectacular celebrations outside Rio de Janeiro take place in Salvador, Recife, and Olinda, although the nature of the events varies. Other regional festivals include the Boi Bumbá and Festa Junina (June Festivals).

According to the World Economic Forum, Brazil was the top country in upward evolution of competitiveness in 2009, gaining eight positions among other countries, overcoming Russia for the first time, and partially closing the competitiveness gap with India and China among the BRIC economies. Important steps taken since the 1990s toward fiscal sustainability, as well as measures taken to liberalize and open the economy, have significantly boosted the country’s competitiveness fundamentals, providing a better environment for private-sector development...

I won't even mention the music. Thanks for who cited it, though! 8)

Oh, I was forgetting:

JIMMYJOHN wrote:
"Panem et circences" = bread and games.
The (Roman) way to keep people numb.

(Sorry again Mr GG, nothing personal, i just can't help it tonight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOHa_jcckFQ

Here, learn a bit more about my country, in a way words can barely describe:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-19989037

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:02 pm 

Thanks for the update.

Nice place !

8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:45 am 

Update, indeed. We moved from 10th economy to the world's 6th largest economy, since that diatribe:

Give me a call if you make it down here, I will take you for a tour around. You are all welcome here 8)

Panis et circensis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgWFL0jP0Qc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:31 pm 

For the curious:

http://rankingamerica.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/the-u-s-ranks-50th-in-erection-length/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:52 am 

duchamp wrote:

They don't say how they collect their results, though :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:52 am 

They do say NOT self-reporting. I like imagining it is somebody busting into your bedroom while you are sleeping.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:41 pm 

duchamp wrote:
They do say NOT self-reporting. I like imagining it is somebody busting into your bedroom while you are sleeping.

mmmm so long as there is no rubberised bag and a hose on his/her arm at the time

"Am I a fan, or a so-called fan?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:53 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
BBP wrote:

The burglar alarm was hooked up to the fire alarm, for safety reasons. Because of this, when the burglary was detected, the electronic locks all opened by themselves. Can you imagine that? "Take my Picasso but don't harm my electronic lock"?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:59 pm 

mr_green_genes wrote:
... Oh, I was forgetting:

also, don't forget mercado livre [check yer email]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:03 pm 

BBP wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
BBP wrote:

The burglar alarm was hooked up to the fire alarm, for safety reasons. Because of this, when the burglary was detected, the electronic locks all opened by themselves. Can you imagine that? "Take my Picasso but don't harm my electronic lock"?

And they talk about dumb criminals.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:44 am 

Apparently Obama "wins" the third debate with Romney and thus the election, at least according to most sources.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20046985

With all respect to both candidates, does anyone else have the lingering suspicion that who "wins" and who "loses" in these debates is kind of "pre-arranged"? I mean, it seems to follow a kind of "Rocky" pattern...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:00 am 

Are you kidding, Cap?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:53 am 

Obama is an out an out liar, in 09 he gave a speech in Cairo and said no one country has the right to stop another from getting nukes, what did he say last night? that's correct, he said he would NOT let Iran get a nuke! the guy is a hack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:46 pm 

There's a few possibilities here. Either you want Iran to have nukes or you want to make fun of Obama for agreeing with you. I don't know the speech you are referencing, but I don't think that Obama specified last night that we would keep Iran from nuclear technology by ourselves. Seems like nitpicking no matter how its sliced.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:04 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Obama is an out an out liar, in 09 he gave a speech in Cairo and said no one country has the right to stop another from getting nukes, what did he say last night? that's correct, he said he would NOT let Iran get a nuke! the guy is a hack

Wait a minute. What the hell are you saying? Are you trying to say that a politicain lied? You must be fucking crazy.

Next you'll try and convince me that people cannot live without oxygen. What a joke.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:59 pm 

Nitpicking!! just making an observation, this hack lies about most subjects, and he did not say technology he flat out said Iran would not have a nuke with him in office. The reality is Obama is an unabashed hippie mentality type of politician. The likes of witch we have never seen in office as pres., he is ashamed of the American heritage and how the country has progressed. Aren't you glad you weren't the libyan ambassador. This guy is a faculty lounge lizard. Lecturing the nation on subjects he has no experience on as well as Knowles. Nothing more than classroom theory. Time for a change and if the next guy is as bad then he goes. so........just what would be Obama's plan for the next four years?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:25 pm 

Obama gives good speech :wink:

Hate to say it but , Obama did look 100% improved from the first debate. He could have knocked Romney off his chair with a feather .

On Iran , Reps say they are four yrs closer to making a WMD but the Dems say they have no way to deliver it.

Doesn't Iran have some friends with some very sophisticated delivery systems ?

:?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:02 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

Well, as usual it's not that simple when you consider the context and wording of the statement. Here's the paragraph in question, a direct quote from the speech....

I understand those who protest that some countries have weapons that others do not. No single nation should pick and choose which nations hold nuclear weapons. That is why I strongly reaffirmed America's commitment to seek a world in which no nations hold nuclear weapons. And any nation – including Iran – should have the right to access peaceful nuclear power if it complies with its responsibilities under the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. That commitment is at the core of the Treaty, and it must be kept for all who fully abide by it. And I am hopeful that all countries in the region can share in this goal.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Last edited by Ronny's Noomies on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:15 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

Well, as usual it's not that simple. Here's the paragraph in question, a direct quote from the speech....

I understand those who protest that some countries have weapons that others do not. No single nation should pick and choose which nations hold nuclear weapons. That is why I strongly reaffirmed America's commitment to seek a world in which no nations hold nuclear weapons. And any nation – including Iran – should have the right to access peaceful nuclear power if it complies with its responsibilities under the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. That commitment is at the core of the Treaty, and it must be kept for all who fully abide by it. And I am hopeful that all countries in the region can share in this goal.

The only people lying here are BRAVO, Mitt Romney and Republicans.

pedro2 wrote:
Obama gives good speech :wink:

Hate to say it but , Obama did look 100% improved from the first debate. He could have knocked Romney off his chair with a feather .

On Iran , Reps say they are four yrs closer to making a WMD but the Dems say they have no way to deliver it.

Doesn't Iran have some friends with some very sophisticated delivery systems ?

:?

Why yes. Iran does have friends with some very sophisticated delivery systems...Remember when Reagan and George HW Bush were sending money and arms to Saddam Hussein in the '80s, before they invaded Iraq?...

Romney talks tough on Iran and China but he invested money in both

"...As it turns out, the one enabling Iran is Mitt Romney. Despite his rhetoric, we find that Romney’s money is not where his mouth is. Romney has investments in Chinese companies including a huge Chinese oil company, CNOOC Ltd. That company is working closely with Iran to develop their natural gas fields and liquid natural gas.

Iran finances its nuclear program and its military from its oil and gas revenues...

The Chinese company Romney invested in is a huge financial backer of Iran. CNOOC is helping Iran develop its natural gas assets investing $16 billion in one project and $3.5 billion in another.

The United States has imposed sanctions on Iran over its nuclear program. The U.S. has tried to get all nations in the world to honor those sanctions. They are working, but not as well as they would if every nation’s corporations honored them. This Chinese money counteracts the sanctions.

Iran uses its oil and gas revenues to finance the nuclear program, and their military that oppresses its people and threatens Israel. Iranian bombs kill American soldiers in Afghanistan. They are killing children in Syria. The sanctions are supposed to stop the flow of money, but the Chinese are cheating. Maybe that’s what Mitt means when he says China cheats. Romney’s money enabled them..."

http://www.examiner.com/article/romney- ... money-both

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:54 am 

Very good , Spacebro , but you forgot to mention other countries help in arming Saddam :

In the early 1970s, Saddam Hussein ordered the creation of a clandestine nuclear weapons program.[23] Iraq's weapons of mass destruction programs were assisted by a wide variety of firms and governments in the 1970s and 1980s.[24][25][26][27][28] As part of Project 922, German firms such as Karl Kobe helped build Iraqi chemical weapons facilities such as laboratories, bunkers, an administrative building, and first production buildings in the early 1980s under the cover of a pesticide plant. Other German firms sent 1,027 tons of precursors of mustard gas, sarin, tabun, and tear gasses in all. This work allowed Iraq to produce 150 tons of mustard agent and 60 tons of Tabun in 1983 and 1984 respectively, continuing throughout the decade. Five other German firms supplied equipment to manufacture botulin toxin and mycotoxin for germ warfare. In 1988, German engineers presented centrifuge data that helped Iraq expand its nuclear weapons program. Laboratory equipment and other information was provided, involving many German engineers. All told, 52% of Iraq's international chemical weapon equipment was of German origin. The State Establishment for Pesticide Production (SEPP) ordered culture media and incubators from Germany's Water Engineering Trading.[29]
[edit]Western help with Iraq's WMD program

France built Iraq's Osirak nuclear reactor in the late 1970s. Israel claimed that Iraq was nearing production of nuclear weapons, and destroyed the French-built reactor in 1981. Meanwhile, Israel's Mossad ran a secret and clandestine operations to either infiltrate Iraqi nuclear program and removed or killed its associated personalities. In 1980, Egyptian born-Iraqi nuclear scientist dr. Yahya El Mashad, head of the Iraqi nuclear program, was assassinated by Mossad. In 1983, a similar operation was undertaken when it was reported that Abdul Rasul, head of Iraqi Osirak reactor, was poisoned in Paris during a lunch, delegated by French officials.[citation needed] Later, a French company built a turnkey factory which helped make nuclear fuel. France also provided glass-lined reactors, tanks, vessels, and columns used for the production of chemical weapons. Around 21% of Iraq’s international chemical weapon equipment was of French origin. Strains of dual-use biological material also helped advance Iraq’s biological warfare program.
Italy gave Iraq plutonium extraction facilities that advanced Iraq’s nuclear weapon program along with 75,000 shells and rockets designed for chemical weapons. Between 1979 and 1982 Italy gave depleted, natural, and low-enriched uranium. Swiss companies aided in Iraq’s nuclear weapons development in the form of specialized presses, milling machines, grinding machines, electrical discharge machines, and equipment for processing uranium to nuclear weapon grade. Brazil secretly aided the Iraqi nuclear weapon program by supplying natural uranium dioxide between 1981 and 1982 without notifying the IAEA. About 100 tons of mustard gas also came from Brazil.[citation needed]
The United States exported support for Iraq during the Iran–Iraq war over $500 million worth of dual use exports to Iraq that were approved by the Commerce department. Among them were advanced computers, some of which were used in Iraq's nuclear program.[30] The non-profit American Type Culture Collection and the Centers for Disease Control sold or sent biological samples of anthrax, West Nile virus and botulism to Iraq up until 1989, which Iraq claimed it needed for medical research. A number of these materials were used for Iraq's biological weapons research program, while others were used for vaccine development.[31] For example, the Iraqi military settled on the American Type Culture Collection strain 14578 as the exclusive anthrax strain for use as a biological weapon, according to Charles Duelfer.[32]
In the late 1980s, the British government secretly gave the arms company Matrix Churchill permission to supply parts for Saddam Hussein's weapons program, while British Industry supplied Gerald Bull as he developed the Iraqi supergun. In March 1990, a case of nuclear triggers bound for Iraq, were seized at Heathrow Airport. The Scott Report uncovered much of the secrecy that had surrounded the Arms-to-Iraq affair when it became known.[33] The British government also financed a chlorine factory that was intended to be used for manufacturing mustard gas.[34]
Many other countries contributed as well; since Iraq's nuclear program in the early 1980s was officially viewed internationally as for energy production, not weapons, there were no UN prohibitions against it. An Austrian company gave Iraq calutrons for enriching uranium. The nation also provided heat exchangers, tanks, condensers, and columns for the Iraqi chemical weapons infrastructure, which can hardly be said to be for energy. Singapore gave 4,515 tons of precursors for VX, sarin, tabun, and mustard gases to Iraq. The Dutch gave 4,261 tons of precursors for sarin, tabun, mustard, and tear gases to Iraq. Egypt gave 2,400 tons of tabun and sarin precursors to Iraq and 28,500 tons of weapons designed for carrying chemical munitions. India gave 2,343 tons of precursors to VX, tabun, Sarin, and mustard gases. Luxembourg gave Iraq 650 tons of mustard gas precursors. Spain gave Iraq 57,500 munitions designed for carrying chemical weapons. In addition, they provided reactors, condensers, columns and tanks for Iraq’s chemical warfare program, 4.4% of the international sales. China provided 45,000 munitions designed for chemical warfare. Portugal provided yellowcake between 1980 and 1982. Niger provided yellowcake in 1981.[35]
[edit]Iran–Iraq War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_and_w ... estruction

On the China companies ... I have invested in Chinese businesses through my pension , and I bet you have too , Spacer.

Tunnel vision really doesn't tell the whole picture , does it ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219 ... 357  Next