Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:06 pm 

pedro2 wrote:
http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/

The Harp thing doesn't bug me, micro waves have issues you can actually be killed if you get in front of a microwave dish while it is transmitting. This harp aray is creating electromagnetics and the health concerns that everyone has were over ruled by the general populace years ago since they want their TV, electricity, and other comforts that create magnetic fields. Definately under researched subject and for good reason, the truth may but bad news for modern man.

:smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:58 am 

thanks GG and phydeax...can never be too sure of being coherent around here, as one is usually incoherent by the time one arrives

Last edited by Uncle Bernie on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:03 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
By saying "weaker minds" I sound like a Nazi!

not necessarily...maybe i was being a bit pedantic...no worries

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:39 am 

Uncle Bernie wrote:
thanks GG and phydeax...can never be too sure of being coherent around here, as one is usually incoherent by the time one arrives

no wuckin' furries...hic.. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:32 am 

http://www.climateinstitute.org.au/our-publications/reports/879-myth-busters

bump

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:59 am 

phydeaux3 wrote:
Uncle Bernie wrote:

no wuckin' furries...hic.. :D

heh heh...indeed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:16 am 

pedro1 wrote:
I see this not as an envirormental problem , but as an ecconmical solution.

Hmmm , how can we generate a substainable ecconomic engine ??

Just my opinion.

so you know more about climate change than the overwhelming majority of climate scientists, but you can't even spell?
get with it boofhead, and start paying attention to informed opinion on the subject.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

this site has been around for awhile, but you may find it helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:38 pm 

For me the real question is what the driving force is, in the climate change. Climate change is academic, it happens, I'll cut to the point; I believe industry, man, whatever the term, contributes 15% to climate change, max!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:30 pm 

Uncle Bernie wrote:
pedro1 wrote:
I see this not as an envirormental problem , but as an ecconmical solution.

Hmmm , how can we generate a substainable ecconomic engine ??

Just my opinion.

so you know more about climate change than the overwhelming majority of climate scientists, but you can't even spell?
get with it boofhead, and start paying attention to informed opinion on the subject.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

this site has been around for awhile, but you may find it helpful.

You're not a very pleasant person , are you ? :|

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:21 pm 

Theories change, would you like the link to the 1973 Newsweek scientific article saying we were heading to an ice age?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:50 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Theories change, would you like the link to the 1973 Newsweek scientific article saying we were heading to an ice age?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:42 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

Meteorological science has come a long way in 40 years. Man's contributions to global warming are no longer considered theories.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:44 am 

How can you be such a genius, like i said man has a contribution, but it seems to be at only 15%

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:04 am 

I have to question the lack of ' climate change ' rhetoric in this years election cycle by any candidates.

Did the money pit dry up ?

If so , is it because the scare tactics by some , lost credibility , or have people accepted a new ' normal ' ?

I still have to believe that the ' scare ' was more for economical reasons than for ecological reasons.

Gee , I sure hope I spelled those words right. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:34 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
I believe industry, man, whatever the term, contributes 15% to climate change, max!!

Actually a really reasonable POV, IMO. It all depends on whether you consider 15% an awful lot or nothing at all.
I tend to the view that it sounds rather a lot, particularly if I consider at is an average increase/decrease in temperature. However, I will freely admit that I know bugger all about the science of this topic.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:03 pm 

No worries, this solstice Frank is coming to help us all!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:47 am 

pedro2 wrote:
You're not a very pleasant person , are you ? :|

i admit, i'm probably a bit of an arsehole at times. i just get really annoyed at the lack of recognition and urgency about this issue. also, the gutless lack of commitment by politicians in not taking more action in the area...politicians worldwide that is.

you're right to question your presidential candidates' lack of comment on the issue, and maybe it's because of the costs involved and the state of your economy...definitely a factor i'm sure. but i think the main reason is that the majority of americans (and others, of course) don't recognise it as a problem, and any candidate making it an issue would be taking a risk. with such a close election, no-one is taking risks.

people who deny the science are delaying the implementation of action to fix the problem. people don't like change, but change is necessary to ensure the planet survives in a reasonable state for our grandkids and beyond. if it turns out we're wrong and we'll have a better environment anyway...surely can't hurt.

climate change deniers are usually funded by big business, especially coal and oil companies. what's their interest in this? making as much money for as long as possible before everyone realises the game is up, by which time things could in a very nasty state.

bravo believes in industry! good on you, son, but can your industry provide you with clean air and water? i doubt it. that's not how they make their money. and 15%? where did that figure ome from? out of your arse? i agree with caputh...it might not be much at all, but it could also be catastrophic. without some reference it's hard to know.

phydeaux, love the toons!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 am 

Swiped from a Facebook page called "Give a Shit About Climate Change"

"With the US Presidential elections taking place this Saturday, this is a moment that could have a significant effect on the course of history. The elected candidate is going to have a lot of control over the domestic and foreign policy of the US, and it is not clear if we will be able to count on them to make dealing with climate change a priority.

However, the New York City Mayor, Michael R. Bloomberg, has taken an interest. As a sea level coastal city with a high population density, New York is particularly vulnerable to disasters such as hurricanes and rising sea levels. Bloomberg understands his responsibility to protect the citizens of New York from this threat, and has called for the government's leaders to start paying attention to it as well.

The only thing that is out of place in his statement is the doubt as to whether climate change is causing the weather to become more extreme. That is a fact that has been proven scientifically a long time ago, and claiming that there is any doubt is simply an attempt to sound reasonable to denialists. His overall message is the real point though: even if you doubt it, the risk of it being true should be justification enough to spend a little. That's exactly the reason people buy home insurance, this should be no different.

The question is whether there will finally be a movement to change our behaviour to combat climate change, or whether politicians will continue to pretend humans have not changed the climate of the Earth."

...works for me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:55 am 

I say humans have had very little effect on climate change, as for coastal cities stop building so close to the ocean !!!! and stop using tax money to rebuild. Bloomberg is an idiot he has refused national guard help, and is displacing what little housing available in favor of the NY marathon. Also the unions in NYC have actually sent back and refused Non union skilled help that has come from all over the nation to help. Love those unions.. Again do your home work on climate change it is cyclical. Maybe you should do your part cause you are so worried and shut off your power and get off the net, I think you just made the temp rise another degree.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 pm 

The bottom line is, it does not matter if climate change is man caused or not...why you may ask, well most CO2 is trapped in ice and water, the planet has generated a lot of it naturally. The problem is as this naturally occurring CO2 is released due to melting Ice and warming water, it will mix with the man made CO2 and you will have CO2 squared and we are screwed, since the process will get away from us and you do not end up with Water World...you end up with Venus or something headed that direction.

So the question is not what is causing the warming, it is what can we do to reduce the inevitable high quantities of CO2 from the atmosphere, the one thing we control is the man made CO2.

So ultimately even if the Global Warming people are wrong about the cause, they are right about the solution.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:26 pm 

...and the way to control it is to tax the emmisions? Worldwide? Another government grab, this time based on disputed science?

The emmisions credits will be sold by small polluters to big polluters...and the polluting will go on...it won't stop, it will just be the cost of doing business, a payoff to the goverments who are desperate for any cash they can get.

At least that's the way I see it. Men won't change their ways to save the planet...ever...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:25 pm 

Plook wrote:
The bottom line is, it does not matter if climate change is man caused or not...why you may ask, well most CO2 is trapped in ice and water, the planet has generated a lot of it naturally. The problem is as this naturally occurring CO2 is released due to melting Ice and warming water, it will mix with the man made CO2 and you will have CO2 squared and we are screwed, since the process will get away from us and you do not end up with Water World...you end up with Venus or something headed that direction.

So the question is not what is causing the warming, it is what can we do to reduce the inevitable high quantities of CO2 from the atmosphere, the one thing we control is the man made CO2.

So ultimately even if the Global Warming people are wrong about the cause, they are right about the solution.

Bull Shit, plants thrive on co2 that's the biggest con, you should do like A Gore, pay your carbon tax and spew all you want !!! Really.... I think you will find that particulate pollution the be the biggest problem with our air, you also do your part. QUIT flying airlines you are fucking up the earth......sheesh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:47 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Plook wrote:

Bull Shit, plants thrive on co2 that's the biggest con, you should do like A Gore, pay your carbon tax and spew all you want !!! Really.... I think you will find that particulate pollution the be the biggest problem with our air, you also do your part. QUIT flying airlines you are fucking up the earth......sheesh

That’s just the facts most of the worlds naturally occurring CO2 is tied up in Ice and sea water there is not enough plant life to account for it, if a substantial warming were to occur this naturally occurring CO2 when released would overwhelm the ego system and the mechanism could reach "runaway" proportions.

This does not even requirer man, this could happen to the earth with out so much as a marsupial. How do you think Venus got the way it is and for other reasons Mars ended up the way it is. Booth were most likely on the road to being earth like planets but for whatever reasons they ended up not so habitable.

But you throw in the man made CO2 while a normal warming cycle is occurring and it could be just what could tip the balance and cause an unstoppable chain reaction.

Yes Bravo we are all part of the problem...

And no Rope that government bullshit will not fix it, we as a species would be forced to make some real hard choices and hopefully in time. Otherwise we may have to move and I don’t think we are up to the task...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:32 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
I say humans have had very little effect on climate change

who gives a fuck what you say? do you have any climate science qualifications? i doubt it because you sound like a boofhead.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:38 am 

A rope leash wrote:
...and the way to control it is to tax the emmisions? Worldwide? Another government grab, this time based on disputed science?

The emmisions credits will be sold by small polluters to big polluters...and the polluting will go on...it won't stop, it will just be the cost of doing business, a payoff to the goverments who are desperate for any cash they can get.

At least that's the way I see it. Men won't change their ways to save the planet...ever...

a tax on polluting the planet? sounds like a good idea to me. if companies want to fuck up our clean air and water, make the cunts pay big time! what's the problem with that? maybe you're right that men (isn't it funny that it's mostly corporations run by men) won't change their ways to save the planet...but they'll sure as hell change their ways to save money and pay less tax.

Last edited by Uncle Bernie on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next