Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:42 am 

Bullshit 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:39 pm 

Remember the movie "50 Million Years to Earth"...that what I'm talking about... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:14 am 

Hi,

Both or neither!

PF does not exist without all of its members. It may not have been perfect, but no one will ever dispute the results and their collective abilities and work.

I tend to like the earlier days a lot better, but am not immune to the aesthetic need to understand and also stand up for one self, which Dark Side of The Moon, kinda made you think about, but left you alone. Wishing You were Here, gave you the 2 pieces that told you that Roger was mad, and then Animals, and then The Wall ... where the madness went further. Final Cut had most of its stuff taken from the original version of The Wall, and later 2 pieces were added.

I don't think that The Wall is better than Atom Heart Mother! I don't think that Interstellar Overdrive is better than Dark Side of the Moon, or that Raving and Drooling was better than One of These Days ... I think of the whole entity as "one person", or "one artist", and "one composer" ... and both of those folks were a major part of the whole thing.

I wish that we stopped thinking of these people as "stars", and treat them as composers in their own right ... they deserve that ... there are far more composers in the history of music that did far less than the entity of Pink Floyd did!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:25 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

The Dark Side of The Wall?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:08 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

Yeah ... some folks might say that ... should be the real title of "The Wall" ... but I saw the recent concert here in Portland, and I have to tell you (all) that this was way better than the original that I saw at the LA Sports Arena ... some ... 30+ years ago? So the "dark side" has gotten a lot lighter, even if it looks a bit heavier!

The great thing? ... young folks at the concert. The hard part? ... subtleties that the "quadraphonic" sound had in those days were non-existent here ... and the best example was the girl walk in the room in those days, it would start at the front and you would hear the rest of her voice and steps, all the way to the other side of the arena you were at ... and to me that added a touch of reality that took it away from "the show" ... and this one ... she starts on the left of the wall and ends on the right of the wall with the sound shift barely audible or noticeable, but her voice, now has a bit of echo and phaze in it.

All in all, we're just another brick in the wall, anyway ... and music nowadays is so commercially based and such an obvious ____tease ... that it makes the whole thing really sad. PF got lucky, and did well over the years with this after the massive money loss on the original concerts, but the true message in it ... is gone. Only three people that I know out of 400 where I work, even mentioned it or showed a shirt or button or something ... and to me that is sad ...

It's just as bad when folks go around saying that KC's ITCOTCK is a progressive album because of its jagged bullshit, and the lyrics, the time and place is never mentioned ... and my thoughts already are that "The Wall" will suffer the same fate ... the guitar gets remembered ... but its message? ... who gives a shit? And when people are arguing about one guy or the other guy ... it makes the message seem unimportant and stupid and just another chuck berry soung out there ... it was fun for a while and then we got laid and it was over ... we didn't care for the girl anymore!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:57 am 

Moshkito wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

Yeah ... some folks might say that ... should be the real title of "The Wall" ... but I saw the recent concert here in Portland, and I have to tell you (all) that this was way better than the original that I saw at the LA Sports Arena ... some ... 30+ years ago? So the "dark side" has gotten a lot lighter, even if it looks a bit heavier!

The great thing? ... young folks at the concert. The hard part? ... subtleties that the "quadraphonic" sound had in those days were non-existent here ... and the best example was the girl walk in the room in those days, it would start at the front and you would hear the rest of her voice and steps, all the way to the other side of the arena you were at ... and to me that added a touch of reality that took it away from "the show" ... and this one ... she starts on the left of the wall and ends on the right of the wall with the sound shift barely audible or noticeable, but her voice, now has a bit of echo and phaze in it.

All in all, we're just another brick in the wall, anyway ... and music nowadays is so commercially based and such an obvious ____tease ... that it makes the whole thing really sad. PF got lucky, and did well over the years with this after the massive money loss on the original concerts, but the true message in it ... is gone. Only three people that I know out of 400 where I work, even mentioned it or showed a shirt or button or something ... and to me that is sad ...

It's just as bad when folks go around saying that KC's ITCOTCK is a progressive album because of its jagged bullshit, and the lyrics, the time and place is never mentioned ... and my thoughts already are that "The Wall" will suffer the same fate ... the guitar gets remembered ... but its message? ... who gives a shit? And when people are arguing about one guy or the other guy ... it makes the message seem unimportant and stupid and just another chuck berry soung out there ... it was fun for a while and then we got laid and it was over ... we didn't care for the girl anymore!

I gave up my high an mighty serious music bullshit a few years ago when I remembered how much fun things were when I was very young listening to top 40 radio, I listen to top 40 again and it is really enjoyable, not taxing on the brain and I have a massive CD collection when I want to get serious. Relax turn on some top 40 enjoy the bubble gum you may find that a lot of the musician are having fun with the lyrics and don't take themselves so serious, you just might find you feel like a teenager again once in a while...DSOTM and WYWH are still two of the top albums ever made IMHO…

:smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:05 am 

Top 40? white room was top 40 for while, but no on top 40, instead there is some great melodic music that isn't so trite that you get bored in 40 seconds, give some Cold Blood a go, maybe Fleetwood Mac; Oh Well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:08 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Top 40? white room was top 40 for while, but no on top 40, instead there is some great melodic music that isn't so trite that you get bored in 40 seconds, give some Cold Blood a go, maybe Fleetwood Mac; Oh Well.

Sometimes you just want to have fun... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:01 am 

Plook wrote:
I gave up my high an mighty serious music bullshit a few years ago when I remembered how much fun things were when I was very young listening to top 40 radio, I listen to top 40 again and it is really enjoyable, not taxing on the brain and I have a massive CD collection when I want to get serious.

I never really did ... mostly because there was so much classical music at our house, but there was also Ray Charles, Gilbert Becaud, Edith Piaf, and the like ... and by the time I got into "top 40" in Brazil, most of it was so silly , insipid and really cheap music for my tastes ... but I knew that the rock/pop was bringing something to it that classical music had been hiding for hundreds of years ... the individuality ... because classicistas (just like fashinistas and newagistas) do not like "new things" that do not follow the prescribed rules for sex and organized behavior for the masses, that must kiss their ________ and follow the prescribed rules!

The Beatles, showed that you could work the material into a better designed and put together piece, and it showed later ... and even today, but all in all, the majority of "rock" or "pop" ... are really poor and uneducated pieces of music, too many of which are just scale exercises by a guitarist or keyboard player ... which most of us can do at home, but not with a band ... wow!

I never thought, however, that music was about ... the high and mighty ... and this is the main reason why I thought that fascism and classical music pundits had a lot in common specially at your local symphony!

So, it was no surprise for me, when I found the European folks that were experimenting and doing different things, and the one that opened my eyes up? ... Faust ... the German group paying compliments to Frank Zappa ... and I went and ended up getting more after finding an album by a group called "Babe Ruth" that had a killer version of "King Kong". Even got to see them make Iggy and the Stooges look like the worst garage band at the Whiskey a Go Go ... one funny night then!

But ... yeah ... the high bs road is not called for and very uncool. At least I do not go around saying that grundge or punk have no aesthetic value whatsoever ... the one thing that Wagner, Puccini and some of clowns need is ... some punks ... and some halacious hairdos for some of those norse stories!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:48 pm 

Moshkito wrote:
Plook wrote:
I gave up my high an mighty serious music bullshit a few years ago when I remembered how much fun things were when I was very young listening to top 40 radio, I listen to top 40 again and it is really enjoyable, not taxing on the brain and I have a massive CD collection when I want to get serious.

I never really did ... mostly because there was so much classical music at our house, but there was also Ray Charles, Gilbert Becaud, Edith Piaf, and the like ... and by the time I got into "top 40" in Brazil, most of it was so silly , insipid and really cheap music for my tastes ... but I knew that the rock/pop was bringing something to it that classical music had been hiding for hundreds of years ... the individuality ... because classicistas (just like fashinistas and newagistas) do not like "new things" that do not follow the prescribed rules for sex and organized behavior for the masses, that must kiss their ________ and follow the prescribed rules!

The Beatles, showed that you could work the material into a better designed and put together piece, and it showed later ... and even today, but all in all, the majority of "rock" or "pop" ... are really poor and uneducated pieces of music, too many of which are just scale exercises by a guitarist or keyboard player ... which most of us can do at home, but not with a band ... wow!

I never thought, however, that music was about ... the high and mighty ... and this is the main reason why I thought that fascism and classical music pundits had a lot in common specially at your local symphony!

So, it was no surprise for me, when I found the European folks that were experimenting and doing different things, and the one that opened my eyes up? ... Faust ... the German group paying compliments to Frank Zappa ... and I went and ended up getting more after finding an album by a group called "Babe Ruth" that had a killer version of "King Kong". Even got to see them make Iggy and the Stooges look like the worst garage band at the Whiskey a Go Go ... one funny night then!

But ... yeah ... the high bs road is not called for and very uncool. At least I do not go around saying that grundge or punk have no aesthetic value whatsoever ... the one thing that Wagner, Puccini and some of clowns need is ... some punks ... and some halacious hairdos for some of those norse stories!

We listened to everything when I was young, my Dad was big band guy who served in WWII, my Mom 12 years younger was a Ballroom Dance teacher, we listened to Classical, big band, Rock & Roll, camp, Top 40, everything...My Mom saw The Mothers at a Go Go Bar near our house in the mid 60's, this is mentioned in the song Joe's Garage...Frank had a couple Top 40 hits himself, we had a strong Musical influence at my home even though no one was a musician, sometimes I find musician are handicapped in their ability to enjoy music. Sometimes a good catchy tune that makes you tap your toe is all you need...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:58 pm 

Plook wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

Oh Bravo Dear, You're still # 1, but Plooks just want to have fuh-un! Oh-O, Plooks just want to have fun! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:48 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Plook wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

Oh Bravo Dear, You're still # 1, but Plooks just want to have fuh-un! Oh-O, Plooks just want to have fun! :mrgreen:

Ab-Ah-Lube-Bee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:04 am 

Roger by a hair. Because David never beat the shit out of a large gong! :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:36 am 

id have to say ....both another example of the collaboration of 2 geniouses..ie: mc cartney/lennon
daltrey/townsend flo/eddie etc......btw where is the spell check on here ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:39 pm 

zoot_alluresfm2 wrote:
... where is the spell check on here ?
The spell check is in your computer's operating system, assuming your computer's operating system is from this century of course. When I write posts here I'm getting spell check directly in my browser (under Mac OS X).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:36 pm 

Yep, both Chrome and Firefox have the spell check also.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:29 am 

No one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:57 pm 

thanks folks im buying a new pc today as my hands are sore from rubbing 2 sticks together..
Quote:
wang tang ding dong i am the japanese sandman !!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:36 am 

After watching Roger Waters perform at the 12 12 12 concert, in feel compelled to reiterate my vote for Gilmour.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:57 pm 

neurochasm wrote:
Gilmour for musicianship

Waters for creativity

This

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:21 pm 

What is the Gilmour solo stuff like???
Is it worth checking out??

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:28 pm 

I thought the last album is pretty fair, but the first and the second are not outstanding, although they have its moments...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:04 am 

I thought it was okay too, but it has to have one of the worst cover sleeves ever :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:55 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:56 pm 

Time to revive this thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next