Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:28 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I don't like any of the vocals on Sleep Dirt. I like Lather.
jaypfunk wrote:
i've made a drastic 180 on the 5.1 DVD-A thing. I used to not care and Douchemonger's relentless babbling about it kinda turned me off to it but within the last couple of years I have really gotten into listen to a lot 5.1/surround sound mixed stuff. Quad mixes also. There are a shit load of 70's quad LPs that people have converted and are able to be burned to DVD. Pink Floyd DSOTM although 1,000,000x over played has a whole new life in it's quad mix, it's amazingly different. It blew me away. Pink Floyd WYWH was also amazing.
The newly released 40th anniversary King Crimson 5.1/DTS sets are also great. The Genesis ones are cool too.
I would LOVE the Over-nite and Apostrophe (') quad mixes to be released officially in 5.1 or even 4.1 surround. I do have the Apostrophe quad LP converted and it's cool!!
I'm more into the music than the audio quality of the music which seems to be your focus. I can appreciate a good performance even if it is not a great recording. 5.1 doesn't make me drool. King Crimson in 5.1 is a waste of my money. The quad mix of Dark Side Of The Moon is not that different from the original. Unless you are into placebos.
It's a shame that after you listened to the King Crimson 5:1 remixes, you felt that you had wasted your money, but from my pespective having, say, the flute in the rear speakers, and the sax in the front speakers, makes it alot easier (for me) to hear exactly what the flute is doing. I find I can appreciate all the different musical sounds better in 5:1, than when they are all crammed into 2 speakers.
Mind you, there are lots of other groups I wouldn't pay extra for 5:1 sound. You gotta want it, to like it, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:30 am 

Islands is the one that I think is worth the extra money. But, for the most part, they already sound good enough and I've heard them all a hundred times. The performance is still the same. I can hear the instruments just fine on my old cd's..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:14 pm 

Beside Halloween and Quaudiopholiac, my favorite DVD-A are One Night At the Opera by Queen and Love by the Beatles.
Just amazing.
Specially in the very midst of my drug-induced nocturnal emission.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:12 am 

I'd rather have clarity than the overall effect of hearing every instrument....if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:08 pm 

I have always prefferred music without vocals, because I am mainly attached to melody, harmony and rhythm.
As well, I do not particularly enjoy the sound of human voice or poetry, and do prefer instruments which are softer to my ears.
When listening to a song by FZ, as a non-native English speaker, the meaning of the lyrics is naturally not the first thing that comes to mind.
Actually I bought my first Zappa record because I was looking for a performance by Pierre Boulez, and I was not disappointed :wink:
Despite all this, and although I know that many fans hate the vocals on Sleep Dirt... I like them.

Regarding the other topic in this thread, I do not care about 5.1 and stereo sound. Mono is really fine with me.
The people who created the Compact Disc standard (Red Book) should have allowed storing twice much music in mono, pushing the maximum playing time to 159.6 minutes on a regular CD player.
But who cares? The Compact Disc became a thing of the past, even faster than vinyl :smoke:
Whatever, technology is not wisdom...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:13 pm 

Maroual wrote:
I have always prefferred music without vocals, because I am mainly attached to melody, harmony and rhythm.
As well, I do not particularly enjoy the sound of human voice or poetry, and do prefer instruments which are softer to my ears.
When listening to a song by FZ, as a non-native English speaker, the meaning of the lyrics is naturally not the first thing that comes to mind.
Actually I bought my first Zappa record because I was looking for a performance by Pierre Boulez, and I was not disappointed :wink:
Despite all this, and although I know that many fans hate the vocals on Sleep Dirt... I like them.

Regarding the other topic in this thread, I do not care about 5.1 and stereo sound. Mono is really fine with me.
The people who created the Compact Disc standard (Red Book) should have allowed storing twice much music in mono, pushing the maximum playing time to 159.6 minutes on a regular CD player.
But who cares? The Compact Disc became a thing of the past, even faster than vinyl :smoke:

Beautiful.

MGG is an assumed Maroual fan...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:30 am 

Hahaha... Isaac. What a moron. :mrgreen:

I am very interested in buying the new remaster without the vocals. It sounds way better that way.

(Sorry for bumping an old thread, but it's so amusing!)

EDIT: "...way better that way." :P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:04 am 

Maroual wrote:

Your a real Dumb Asshole CD thing of the past you ain't been audio shopping lately and I bought more Blank Cd than vinyl tape DVD CD MP3 dumb twat :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:38 am 

cleon wrote:
Your a real Dumb Asshole CD thing of the past...

Woooowww....
a Grown Man's (?..) Fight with Language Itself! :-) (Anybody: try to find the meaning behind these bunch of words... hehe.) Next time you'll win, I'm sure!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:33 am 

balint wrote:
cleon wrote:
Your a real Dumb Asshole CD thing of the past...

Woooowww....
a Grown Man's (?..) Fight with Language Itself! :-) (Anybody: try to find the meaning behind these bunch of words... hehe.) Next time you'll win, I'm sure!!
Win what you Dumb Asshole 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:51 pm 

cleon wrote:
Maroual wrote:

Your a real Dumb Asshole CD thing of the past you ain't been audio shopping lately and I bought more Blank Cd than vinyl tape DVD CD MP3 dumb twat :smoke:
Insulting me is pointless, whatever you seem to get satisfaction out of it.
It took you more than one year to find and exhume my post ... but, in the meantime, you still did not learn your own language :roll:
Once again, if you are not some kind of reptile incapable of learning and forming sentences, please do not answer or quote me.
Do yourself a favor and open a grammar book ... even if I know you will not.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:22 am 

Do what you say you gotta be joking put me back on ignore if your Dumb Ass can't take the true 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:33 am 

cleon wrote:
Do what you say you gotta be joking put me back on ignore if your Dumb Ass can't take the true 8)

My try:

Do what you say (comma) you gotta be joking (dot) put me back on ignore (comma) if your [=you are] Dumb Ass (comma, you) can't take the true(th) 8)

How's my solution? Did I find all the mistakes? Do I get the prize? :-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:41 am 

balint wrote:
cleon wrote:

My try:

Do what you say (comma) you gotta be joking (dot) put me back on ignore (comma) if your [=you are] Dumb Ass (comma, you) can't take the true(th) 8)

How's my solution? Did I find all the mistakes? Do I get the prize? :-)
Stupid Asshole your=you are.your dumb 8)go start a thread for pure attention no wait your that thick.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:40 am 

cleon wrote:
Stupid Asshole your = you are. your dumb(,) go start a thread for pure attention(.) no wait (,) your that thick.
nice try, balint, it's a lost cause; the last time cleon tried spellcheck, his computer crashed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:47 am 

Nice try though Cleon got new PC that never crashed :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5