Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 120  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:56 pm 

yeah, no (') lyrics here.
purchased from BestBuy online.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:02 am 

been slowly listening to all the new 2012 ume releases in order and just threw on FRANCESCO ZAPPA. ok, this isn't exactly one of Zappa's best but i respect it (and those synclavier violins on 2nd Movement MINUET are kinda fantastic). first thing i noticed during concentrated listen was what could be described as "tape-hiss". from a digitally recorded/mastered album? all right. the volume was also noticeably lower than all the other new releases.
so i grabbed my 1995 ryko Francesco and put that on to do a quick comparison of track one because i didn't remember it sounding this bad. well, it did.

so yeah, 2012 Francesco Zappa doesn't sound too hot to these ears.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:46 pm 

Mothermania on Amazon US available November 19, 2012. Unless I am missing something, this just got updated

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GG ... PDKIKX0DER

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:21 pm 

myourself wrote:
been slowly listening to all the new 2012 ume releases in order and just threw on FRANCESCO ZAPPA. ok, this isn't exactly one of Zappa's best but i respect it (and those synclavier violins on 2nd Movement MINUET are kinda fantastic). first thing i noticed during concentrated listen was what could be described as "tape-hiss". from a digitally recorded/mastered album? all right. the volume was also noticeably lower than all the other new releases.
so i grabbed my 1995 ryko Francesco and put that on to do a quick comparison of track one because i didn't remember it sounding this bad. well, it did.

so yeah, 2012 Francesco Zappa doesn't sound too hot to these ears.

Electronic circuits without hiss are impossible. You will most likely have some sort of significant hiss generated from your playback devices. When there is hiss on the digital recording then it comes from the analog stages of the Synclavier or analog outboard gear or the mixing desk or, or, or … If there are samples involved they might have been created from analog recordings (with tape hiss). Every electronic device is generating hiss and noise more or less that builds up on a multitrack production. Complete silence is impossible, unless you are deaf or dead.

BTW, concluding something is sounding worse because it is not as loud or "hot" as something else is bullshit.

Th.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:36 am 

Thinman wrote:
Electronic circuits without hiss are impossible. You will most likely have some sort of significant hiss generated from your playback devices. When there is hiss on the digital recording then it comes from the analog stages of the Synclavier or analog outboard gear or the mixing desk or, or, or … If there are samples involved they might have been created from analog recordings (with tape hiss). Every electronic device is generating hiss and noise more or less that builds up on a multitrack production. Complete silence is impossible, unless you are deaf or dead.

BTW, concluding something is sounding worse because it is not as loud or "hot" as something else is bullshit.

Th.

you know Thinman, i thought about what i posted much later in the day and realized the reason for my hiss was because i had my stereo system turned up to maximum volume to make up for how low it sounded. my posting definatley blamed the "tape hiss" on the 2012 Francesco CD and that shouldn't have been the case. i thought later, i guess i'm the type of loser to over-think things, maybe i could go delete the the post. or write a new post and say the 2012 master DID NOT have tape hiss on it, hiss was created by my overdriven crappy speakers but i figured i wouldn't bother because my opininon is shit. and even though it is shit, i would like to be a more active participant in this forum. and to participate one has to have facts or an opinion, i think. so i'm trying.

and yes, i hear what you are saying. it all makes perfect sense and i appreciate your reply. again i've tried to be more active around here and have been seemingly met with indifference so your reply in itself, with its blunt truth, has my repect.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:48 am 

You must be kidding me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:51 am 

myourself wrote:
i thought later, i guess i'm the type of loser to over-think things, maybe i could go delete the the post. or write a new post and say the 2012 master DID NOT have tape hiss on it
Not at all, please do not remove your post.
IMO it was worth reading as well as interesting anyway, plus other people may also wonder and then be happy to find an explanation here.
And no need to reformulate, it is pretty concise in its current form.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:54 pm 

Could there have been too much "dither" used.....if any?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:10 pm 

SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:
... I hope 200 Motels will be issued soon...

I'm surprised MGM's advertising dept. hasn't re-released 200 Motels to ride the coat-tails of the re-release of the FZ catalogue. What better free advertising could they want?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:34 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
... I hope 200 Motels will be issued soon...

I'm surprised MGM's advertising dept. hasn't re-released 200 Motels to ride the coat-tails of the re-release of the FZ catalogue. What better free advertising could they want?

It's been on cable Comcast under free movies for months.Not sure if it's still there right now,but I watched it a few months back.They had it in HD.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:45 pm 

DirecTV also has it right now in HD on On-Demand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:06 pm 

It appears that the local Best Buy I frequent is finally stocking other titles of the new version of the Zappa catalog. They must actually be moving some product.

I finally picked up the new Joe's Garage and am pleasantly surprised how much of a significant difference there is between this version and the previous Ryko, EMI and CBS Records editions.

I have a number of observations, the first of which is the all around fatter mix and presence of the bass and drums. I'm also noticing a lot more detail of certain elements in the mix that were buried or barely audible, particularly in the background vocals and the keyboards throughout. I can now decifer every note and nuance played by the bass guitar that was buried in the "thinness" on the previous versions mixes. I wasn't expecting anything drastic with the new Joe's Garage mix, but this new version is the shit. I'm about to give it my fourth listen since yesterday.

Another element that seems different to me is the snare drum mix. Particularly, the variable speed slapback delay effect sounds less abrasive to my ears. Compare the drums of Outside Now and Packard Goose. The weird slapback delay effect, or old school trigger pad-like device was always a miniscule distraction for me, but now it's not as prominent, to my ears anyways. So far I've listened to this in my car stereo and one of a halfway decent mid-grade Sony stereo system. I haven't checked it out on one of my higher end system, one of my ghetto blasters, iPod, computer or headphones and earbuds yet for further comparisons.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:02 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
It appears that the local Best Buy I frequent is finally stocking other titles of the new version of the Zappa catalog. They must actually be moving some product.

I finally picked up the new Joe's Garage and am pleasantly surprised how much of a significant difference there is between this version and the previous Ryko, EMI and CBS Records editions.

I have a number of observations, the first of which is the all around fatter mix and presence of the bass and drums. I'm also noticing a lot more detail of certain elements in the mix that were buried or barely audible, particularly in the background vocals and the keyboards throughout. I can now decifer every note and nuance played by the bass guitar that was buried in the "thinness" on the previous versions mixes. I wasn't expecting anything drastic with the new Joe's Garage mix, but this new version is the shit. I'm about to give it my fourth listen since yesterday.

Another element that seems different to me is the snare drum mix. Particularly, the variable speed slapback delay effect sounds less abrasive to my ears. Compare the drums of Outside Now and Packard Goose. The weird slapback delay effect, or old school trigger pad-like device was always a miniscule distraction for me, but now it's not as prominent, to my ears anyways. So far I've listened to this in my car stereo and one of a halfway decent mid-grade Sony stereo system. I haven't checked it out on one of my higher end system, one of my ghetto blasters, iPod, computer or headphones and earbuds yet for further comparisons.

I agree, but I also think that some definition is lost on Frank's guitar with the reissue compared to the Ryko. Try listening to "Packard Goose", from 3:40 on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:20 am 

Just got One Size Fits All, it sounds fucking fantastic! DAAAMN!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:48 am 

I ordered all 22 remastered titles last week and picking them up today. I'M SO FUCKING EXCITED!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:49 am 

tiboudre wrote:
I ordered all 22 remastered titles last week and picking them up today. I'M SO FUCKING EXCITED!!!

Which one do you look forward the most to?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:56 pm 

jeddy wrote:
Could there have been too much "dither" used.....if any?
Stop dithering, man!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:50 pm 

I have an uncle that plays a dither, oh wait I mean zither, maybe he dithers with a zither.

"Am I a fan, or a so-called fan?"

Post subject: re: fz 2012 reissues
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:11 pm 

polydigm wrote:
... I'm certainly giving my endorsement for any decision by the ZFT to let Mothermania be on the bottom of the list if there are going to be any delays. Let's get our priorities right ...

mothermania shoulda been #1 priority on top of the list, it's 25 years overdue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:44 am 

tiboudre wrote:

I listened to Hot Rats first because it's one of the few that I don't have on vinyl. I've been heavily collecting the last couple of years. But holy shit, it sounds like a new album! I grew up on the 1987 mix and I can't believe how different the mix is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:30 am 

I'm sure the fine details of the reissues are on this forum somewhere but I found this link is helpful

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/v ... tpoop.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:24 am 

HMV finally got in most of this last batch, they were short YCDTOSA Vol 3+4, as well as Understanding America. Everything else though was in at $10. So if your in Canada and have a big flagship HMV store in town instead of the little mall ones, check it out.

I know all these are digital remasters are the same as previous Rykos. Looking at the few discs of this I own, their all save for one from the initial Ryko releases, not the 94/95 re-releases so I figure at $10 I'll grab them all except for "Yellow Shark", "Lost Episodes" and "Civ II" since I really doubt they'll be packaged as nice in slip cases.

I was also able to grab LSO which was missing from the last batch of releases. Listened to disc one last night and thought it sounded pretty great. My previous experience was on cassette, not the greatest way to listen. Look forward to sitting down to disc 2 tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:39 am 

Will Läther be 2-disc or 3-disc. I sincerely hope it's the former. Sides 1-4 on Disc 1 and sides 5-8 on Disc 2. I feel it flows better that way.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:54 am 

tiboudre wrote:
tiboudre wrote:

I listened to Hot Rats first because it's one of the few that I don't have on vinyl. I've been heavily collecting the last couple of years. But holy shit, it sounds like a new album! I grew up on the 1987 mix and I can't believe how different the mix is.

I totally agree. It sounds better in many ways. Have you listened to all of them now? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:39 am 

Just ordered Sleep Dirt and Chunga's Revenge. Sweet!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 120  Next