Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:53 am 

Apologize for calling me dickhead.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:00 am 

A tax might slow the emmissions a little, but not nearly enough.

Think about it...change is already happening. If it is caused by mankind, reducing greenhouses gasses a little bit is not going to reverse it. What has to happen is a wholesale change in how mankind operates...we have to stop polluting the atmosphere altogether, and that is not going to happen.

So, the carbon tax is a cynical ploy to pull even more cash out of the pockets of business, using the fear of severe weather and the fantasy that we can change it. We can't, especially if it is man made, because there's no way we are going to stop driving and flying and puking out various smokes and gasses, at least not soon enough to reverse what is already happening.

That's just what we are...planet-destroying shit-machines.

So get over it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:24 am 

A rope leash wrote:
A tax might slow the emmissions a little, but not nearly enough.

Think about it...change is already happening. If it is caused by mankind, reducing greenhouses gasses a little bit is not going to reverse it. What has to happen is a wholesale change in how mankind operates...we have to stop polluting the atmosphere altogether, and that is not going to happen.

So, the carbon tax is a cynical ploy to pull even more cash out of the pockets of business, using the fear of severe weather and the fantasy that we can change it. We can't, especially if it is man made, because there's no way we are going to stop driving and flying and puking out various smokes and gasses, at least not soon enough to reverse what is already happening.

That's just what we are...planet-destroying shit-machines.

So get over it.

This is one area where I believe you are right on, regardless of cause with the over all compounding of the problem due to the release of the naturally occurring CO2, we would need to make a drastic change as soon as possible and then hope that it was enough to stop the problem from getting out of control about 100 years from now. This phony tax thing only affects those who can be taxed, which would be the US and other participating countries, the real offenders walk free as do companies that operate in those countries.

People don't really respond to sacrifice when they will not see a benefit and can not be assured the benefit will perform so far in the future. But it is what would be the prudent thing to do for the future of the planet.

What is the motivation for this sacrifice, if only the West participates that will not get it done. Why would Russia, China, or India the greatest polluters ruin their thriving economies over something that will not be completely undoable until a 100 years from now?

This is a very complex issue and we may be completely wrong about why or how it is happening. Maybe in an effort to protect itself, the Earth a living system, is going to do what’s necessary to get ride of the problem…us…
:smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:05 am 

Yes it is and co2 is NOT that big of a factor, it is Al Gore bullshit, homework kids, none of the climate crap means anything if our economy is so fucked up that we can't live a decent life.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:14 pm 

newsflash: denying that fracking causes earthquakes where they don't normally occur is this season's bonus meme...

"Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten." — Cree Nation Tribal Prophecy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:07 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
Apologize for calling me dickhead.

comment deleted...i think i mistook you for bravo.

A rope leash wrote:
...and the way to control it is to tax the emmisions? Worldwide? Another government grab, this time based on disputed science?

the science isn't disputed by the overwhelming majority of climate scientists, only the arseclowns who have a different agenda.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:04 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Yes it is and co2 is NOT that big of a factor, it is Al Gore bullshit, homework kids, none of the climate crap means anything if our economy is so fucked up that we can't live a decent life.

The fact that naturally occuring CO2 mixed with Man made CO2 is a possible death blow for the planet is the only factor... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:50 pm 

"Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten." — Cree Nation Tribal Prophecy

Yep, this is what I've been saying...we would have to begin living like the primitives did if we are to reverse global warming...like we should have been living all along.

...and sorry, the science is disputed. The television just doesn't want to admit it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:36 am 

A rope leash wrote:
"...and sorry, the science is disputed. The television just doesn't want to admit it.

there you go, being a dickhead again, just when i was giving you the benefit of the doubt! and what has the television got to do with it? i don't understand that comment. when are you and your fellow boofheads going to take notice of the real science and stop believing in bums and charlatans who say the science isn't settled?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:45 am 

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/03/santorums-science/

End of discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:41 am 

As reluctant as I am to repsond to such bad manners, I will send you on your way with this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sc ... al_warming

It's a list of notable scientists that dispute the mainstream thought.

You believe global warming is man-made because the television has told you so. You think all scientist agree on this, because Diane Sawyer looked really serious when she said so. The television is controlled by the same forces that think a carbon tax is just ducky. The television is the tool of the government, and industry, too.

I refuse to enter into further conversation with anyone on this subject, especially rude persons that have no class. The fact of the matter is that it doesn't matter if global warming is man-made, the process has already begun, and there's no stopping it unless we revert to feral ways. It isn't going to happen, so the argument is moot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:12 pm 

It doesn't matter and it most likely is a combination of natural cycles, but the man made CO2 is the wild card. Once the naturally occurring CO2 is released from the ice and water mixed with the man made CO2, you will not end up primitive...this planet will be essentially uninhabitable…cause is irrelevant CO2 is, we can’t breath it and unleashing all the CO2 previously created by the earth through natural processes, will overwhelm the natures checks and balances. We have to eliminate the man made CO2 to slow this process, but people will not do it. They will try when its to late, but honestly not now, especially China, India, and Russia.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:20 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
As reluctant as I am to repsond to such bad manners, I will send you on your way with this link:

You believe global warming is man-made because the television has told you so. You think all scientist agree on this, because Diane Sawyer looked really serious when she said so. The television is controlled by the same forces that think a carbon tax is just ducky. The television is the tool of the government, and industry, too, whereas I, on the other hand, am just a Tool.

Well, ACTUALLY I am a Bona Fide Mystery Man - if you don't believe me, just look up all my past posts where I said I am the smartest/one of smartest etc guys on the planet/forum :)

I refuse to enter into further conversation with anyone on this subject, especially rude persons that have no class. The fact of the matter is that it doesn't matter if global warming is man-made, the process has already begun, and there's no stopping it unless we revert to feral ways. It isn't going to happen, so the argument is moot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:10 am 

A rope leash wrote:

You believe global warming is man-made because the television has told you so. You think all scientist agree on this, because Diane Sawyer looked really serious when she said so. The television is controlled by the same forces that think a carbon tax is just ducky. The television is the tool of the government, and industry, too.

wikipedia is not a reliable source. anyone can put anything up there. i'll read your link after you've read the links provided by Uncle Z...

Uncle Z wrote:

and by myself previously...

http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

You refer to "notable scientists". while they may be notable in their field...meteorology or geology or whatever, they are not climate scientists. do you think one scientist is the same as another? if so, i'm embarrassed for your lack of understanding of the range of scientific endeavour that goes on in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:51 am 

Gee whiz, phyduex, you're obssessed with me. Would you like a photo?

Wikipedia can't be trusted, but factcheck can, because they are called "factcheck".

Right?

Do you really think men will change their ways enough to reverse the change in the weather?

Do you really think a tax will stop them from polluting?

Do you not think that scientists are influenced by money or by power or by peer pressure?

It's a moot subject, and a political beach ball, like abortion or gay marriage.

You have your view of it, and I have mine. Yours is niave, in my opinion.

Make like it matters, now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:21 am 

Rope, the analogy to abortion and gay marriage doesn't work. Those 2 things are bad because of religeon. While there is alot of climate silliness, I've only heard of gays causing hurricanes! :) If an abortion or gay law gets passed, there are troublesome social effects that occur. If climate problems get ignored, then there is a variety of likely planet-wide devastations. Not exactly moot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:40 pm 

Yes mother nature is tough and i has not started with "climate change", do some fucking home work and look at weather history.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:33 pm 

I tried yer "homework"plea long ago. Bad science.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:49 pm 

Its all about the CO2, the climate can cause death and be a huge problem, but CO2 can cause a mass extinction.

There are very few deal breakers asteroid, comet, mega volcano, mega solar flare, gamma rays, and CO2 overload. Ironically the one we have the most chance of altering is the one know one wants to do anything about, the human race doesn’t deserve to survive due to idiocy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:11 pm 

I'm not saying it isn't a huge concern, I'm just saying any arguement about it is futile...thus my comparison to abortion and gay marriage.

It took many years of industrial pollution to change the weather, if in fact that is what changed it. It will take many years of no industrial pollution to reverse it. Is that going to happen, tax or no tax?

Unless we revert to feral ways right this minute, it is not going to happen. The climate has changed, mankind caused or not. Mankind is not going to change enough or quickly enough to do anything about it.

So, argue all you want. It won't change the weather.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:42 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
I'm not saying it isn't a huge concern, I'm just saying any arguement about it is futile...thus my comparison to abortion and gay marriage.

It took many years of industrial pollution to change the weather, if in fact that is what changed it. It will take many years of no industrial pollution to reverse it. Is that going to happen, tax or no tax?

Unless we revert to feral ways right this minute, it is not going to happen. The climate has changed, mankind caused or not. Mankind is not going to change enough or quickly enough to do anything about it.

So, argue all you want. It won't change the weather.

I think we are ate the same location from different directions... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:09 am 

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/where-even-the-earth-is-melting-20121127-2a5tp.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:23 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

History is not science, look at the frequency and intensity of storms and drought, in the 140 years of compiling stats, that, has decreased. Dirty 30's had over a decade of drought and extreme heat, hmmmmmmm, was that cars? or what?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:45 am 

Uncle Bernie wrote:

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:50 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

History is not science, look at the frequency and intensity of storms and drought, in the 140 years of compiling stats, that, has decreased. Dirty 30's had over a decade of drought and extreme heat, hmmmmmmm, was that cars? or what?

history produces scientific statistics. where do you get your bogus ideas from?

Quote:

no worries

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next