Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:02 am 

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted here yet but according to this site...:

http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/live

...Dweezil's relaxed chat show format later today and the first 30 minutes of ZPZ's London Roundhouse gig tomorrow are being streamed live.

Just a head's up... :twisted:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:31 pm 

Wow! No respones yet. I guess you're all waiting to watch the show later today instead?

Dweezi's Q&A was pretty good. It ran about 1 hour and 45 minutes. He was asked about his childhood, musical influences, etc. And then Scott Thunes came out about 45 minutes in and answered questions about his FZ audition, FZ band stories, etc. And then after Dweezil demoed the ground-breaking Fractal Axe-FX unit and other guitar effects while playing a white strat, at the end they played Treacherous Cretins together. It was kind of similar to the FZ 70th Anniversary B-day Q&A 2 years ago at the Roundhouse...

Next up, I'm looking forward to watching part of ZPZ's show later today! :twisted:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:22 am 

Thanks for the heads up.i really enjoyed the q and a yesterday and it was great to see Thunes there. Shame he's not in the rocking teenage combo for the shows! Looking forward to the first half hour of the show later. On at 8.30 UK time but the stream stars at 8 so there's probably something to look at before it. Should whet the appetite nicely for next Sunday in Birmingham.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:19 am 

Thanks!

BTW: Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the vaultmeister the drummer in ZPZ? I think so ....... Good to know, good to know!

(joke reference to Joe's threat-like entry on a bad review of UA)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:06 pm 

10 mins :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:17 pm 

Fucking move it :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:14 pm 

It was not too good. Impossible mix, and DZ seemed very shy. I hope it didn't give justice to the live experience - but the stream was very tame (and Don't You Ever Wash That Thing was definitely not convincing), and all songs just end mid-air with everybody looking surprised until DZ shouts "thank you" in his best FZ voice. Awkward.

Well, I see them live later this month - it can't be anything but better.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:51 pm 

HJ wrote:
It was not too good. Impossible mix, and DZ seemed very shy. I hope it didn't give justice to the live experience - but the stream was very tame (and Don't You Ever Wash That Thing was definitely not convincing), and all songs just end mid-air with everybody looking surprised until DZ shouts "thank you" in his best FZ voice. Awkward.

That's odd.

I unfortunately missed it. But then again, it was only the first 30 minutes of the show anyway.

HJ wrote:
Well, I see them live later this month - it can't be anything but better.

Agreed. And I'm seeing them live next month...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:20 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
… And then Scott Thunes came out about 45 minutes in and answered questions about his FZ audition, FZ band stories, etc. …

Same stories as last time? Is that already the nostalia for the nostalgia?

Is there anybody still interested in ZPZ, btw? It is a good thing that the ZFT is reissueing the FZ catalogue in the best possible condition these days. That is a thing I always hoped for they should do. Now everybody who is interested can listen to the original music how it was meant to be ("the composers intent") whenever they want to. Musicians of today and the future should learn from it and move on to do their own thing. Progress! No more cover and tribute bands, please!

I'm an asshole, I know.

Th.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:44 am 

Thinman wrote:

Is there anybody still interested in ZPZ, btw?

Th.

Well, I'm not old enough to have seen Frank Zappa live, and therefore when I saw Zappa Plays Zappa, it felt like the closest thing to a Zappa show (at least in my world) and I was impressed, even though the concert was a little too long (three hours). I had a good time, but I don't know if I will see them if they come back to Sweden. The year after the ZPZ-concert I saw Jeff Beck live and it was way better!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:48 am 

I'm still planning on seeing them next month, so yeah, I'm still interested.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:46 pm 

I would go if they came again, but they won't, so I guess it's the other way around.

:|

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:45 pm 

Thinman wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
… And then Scott Thunes came out about 45 minutes in and answered questions about his FZ audition, FZ band stories, etc. …

Same stories as last time? Is that already the nostalia for the nostalgia?

I don't know about the nostalgia part but it was similar. Though, more of a scaled down version of the FZ 70th Anniversary B-day celebrations 2 years ago.

Thinman wrote:
Is there anybody still interested in ZPZ, btw?

Well, demand is now 30-50% lower than compared to year 1 & 2 (2006 & 2007). But that's mainly since there's no alumni in the line-up anymore and because they keep hitting mostly the same markets almost every single year, which eats into demand. But generally speaking, there definitely still is interest in seeing ZPZ live...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:03 am 

Thinman wrote:
Is there anybody still interested in ZPZ, btw? ...

Actually, I was way into it years ago then stopped caring a couple of years ago. But now its been a while and sure, I'd go again. It would help ALOT if some alumni were on board.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:44 am 

I'll go again if:
-they go near here again
-they won't play Montana
-they have Tim Curry as guest star.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:30 am 

BBP wrote:
I'll go again if:
-they go near here again
-they won't play Montana

I'll go again if:
-they go near here again
-they can the singer (Ben) and bring back NMB and Ray and special guest stars Vai, Bozzio, Thunes, Ponty and Duke plus new guest stars Robert Martin, Don Preston, The Fowlers, Arthur Barrow, Ike Willis, Adrian Belew, Flo & Eddie, Al Dimeola, Sting, Theodore Bikel AND Tim Curry
-Andre Cholmondeley is named stage manager
-I get to choose the set-list
-Dweezil retires and appoints Keneally as his successor

So yeah, there's a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:33 pm 

BBP wrote:
I'll go again if:
-they go near here again
-they won't play Montana

So basically Bonny is not going to another ZPZ concert.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:52 pm 

KUIII wrote:
BBP wrote:
I'll go again if:
-they go near here again
-they won't play Montana

I'll go again if:
-they go near here again
-they can the singer (Ben) and bring back NMB and Ray and special guest stars Vai, Bozzio, Thunes, Ponty and Duke plus new guest stars Robert Martin, Don Preston, The Fowlers, Arthur Barrow, Ike Willis, Adrian Belew, Flo & Eddie, Al Dimeola, Sting, Theodore Bikel AND Tim Curry
-Andre Cholmondeley is named stage manager
-I get to choose the set-list
-Dweezil retires and appoints Keneally as his successor

So yeah, there's a chance.

Whatta band! The moment that lineup hits the road I am all over it! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:05 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
BBP wrote:
I'll go again if:
-they go near here again
-they won't play Montana

Nah. It's the they go near here part that seems to be the main problem.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 pm 

I hear you Bonny, Adelaide has fallen off the bean counter's list as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:14 pm 

Yeah. I really value any opportunity to hear Frank's music live, so I was willing to go through some discomfort to get it. But, that's changed. For example, in the early ZPZ years, I traveled to St. Louis from Chicago - a 5 hour drive - to see them. I'd never do that again, unless some hefty headliners are in the band, and maybe not even then. This year they are playing in Madison, WI, which is a 3 hour drive, and I ain't making that trip.

They need to be in the Chicago area for me to consider going, especially since Dweezil tweezed a good bit of life out of the band....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:31 pm 

I've seen them on every tour - The Roundhouse show last Saturday will be my last.

Very underwhelming. The band being late didn't help ( problems with guitar effects apparently, still annoying though ), then all my old bug-bears came out. Despite a few new additions which were good ( Teenage Prostitute, Ride My Face To Chicago, Harder Than Your Husband ), it featured many songs already played before. I know, I know, new audiences getting into FZ etc etc, but I always go away thinking it could have been a better set list choice. ENOUGH OF THE ROXY MATERIAL ALREADY. Sorry, but...

Anyway, that roadie they had on the last tour that sang Zomby Woof with them came on and did Debra Kadabra. I was not into this at all. Only Beefheart can sing Beefheart in my opinion, and I felt this was handled all wrong albeit musically proficient. Also, Ben Thomas' jokey vocal style gets really annoying. I thought I was used to him having seen every tour since ZPZ's inception, but last night he just annoyed me. Putting his "wacky" style on the Outside Now vocal? NO, MATE. DID.NOT.WORK. Also, Dweezil had to tune his guitars every five fucking minutes it seemed. Not just the new FZ Custom SG, but his strat too. It seemed we were waiting in between almost every song...

Scott was fun, he always is! The new bass player is efficient too - played well, kept out of the limelight mainly though. Scheila was on form as always - new haircut makes her hotter. She's always a little too pedestrian and cabaret for my liking. It's like she has learnt all the instruments she plays to a certain level then gave up on them all. The sax solo ( I can't remember which song, possibly Pygmy Twylyte? ) wasn't technically great at all. They really miss Billy too, or indeed percussion in general. Especially their favourite era of FZ's work which they cover so much - NEEDS A FUCKING MARIMBA! But hey, I'm picking holes...

I'm done with ZPZ for future tours, unless they put together something special it's been more or less the same thing for six years

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:32 pm 

BBP wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
BBP wrote:
I'll go again if:
-they go near here again
-they won't play Montana

Nah. It's the they go near here part that seems to be the main problem.

Oh sure.....you get the "go near here" and Tim Curry just automatically falls into place. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:09 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Oh sure.....you get the "go near here" and Tim Curry just automatically falls into place. :D

Absolutely! He's arrived at the age where it's hard to get a job, he might just jump on! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:44 pm 

Who wants to spend 2 hours being reminded that Frank Zappa is dead?