Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Road Tapes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:27 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
buffalo_voice wrote:
Hope it'll make its way over here (Old Europe) before Xmas. Funny question: Is it a fold-out or jewel case? And if it's the former: What's on the inside?

A typical 2-cd's-in-the-space-of-1-type case. Tray card underneath 2nd CD shows a copy of the reel package.

Yay, thank you, Penguin. This means there's a tiny little chance to re-fold the booklet/insert and get rid of that horrible front cover "artwerg."
:)

Well, the image I was referring to was what is *underneath* the 2nd disc inside (meaning 1-side of the tray card, not the inlet). Unfortunately, I returned my whole packaging because it arrived cracked (cracked on both sides of the case so you could actually wiggle the bottom right-corner of the whole thing! never seen that before!) So I can't recall off-hand what was on the last page of the inlet itself - sorry.

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:00 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Well, the image I was referring to was what is *underneath* the 2nd disc inside (meaning 1-side of the tray card, not the inlet). Unfortunately, I returned my whole packaging because it arrived cracked (cracked on both sides of the case so you could actually wiggle the bottom right-corner of the whole thing! never seen that before!) So I can't recall off-hand what was on the last page of the inlet itself - sorry.

Sorry to hear it arrived mangled. Hope you still had the nerve to burn yourself a home copy to listen to while it's on 'replacement tour'.
The original reel serves as the tray image, that's phantastic, and anything inside the booklet should be better than that Alice-Cooper font.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:
Sorry to hear it arrived mangled. Hope you still had the nerve to burn yourself a home copy to listen to while it's on 'replacement tour'.
The original reel serves as the tray image, that's phantastic, and anything inside the booklet should be better than that Alice-Cooper font.

Well said. Yes, I ripped it into my iTunes while waiting for the replacement - only fair. The quick glance I gave to the insert did leave me with a better feeling than the cover. I know you and I both agreed that we didn't care for the cover itself. For what it's worth, it looked better to me when I saw the whole layout (removing the smashed jewel case from the equation, of course). :wink:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:17 pm 

wow a killer!! if anyone is complaining at all about the sound quality of this they really are just a fucking whining crybaby that needs to be dealt a face smashing with a splintered 2x4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:20 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
wow a killer!! if anyone is complaining at all about the sound quality of this they really are just a fucking whining crybaby that needs to be dealt a face smashing with a splintered 2x4

Or they could be told that their complaint is unwarranted. :wink:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:18 pm 

Excellent release. I figured it would be an economy-friendly digipak, glad it's a standard 2-CD jewel case and luckily mine wasn't damaged. I'm neutral on the cover art, don't love it or hate it. OCLT, Berlin, Octandre/King Kong encores are highlights, plus FZ's stage banter is priceless throughout. The only weak track is "Oh, In The Sky". Throwaway encore tune, and understandable that it wasn't on Cruisin w/ Ruben.. I love FZ's doo-wop tracks no matter who's singing, but this one not so much. Am glad it's on there though, for complete-show sake.

The tracklist order on CD1 is incorrect. Help I'm A Rock/Transylvania Boogie are not (separate) tracks 2 and 3.
It should read:
1. The Importance Of An Earnest Attempt (By Hand) 3:44
2. Help, I'm A Rock/Transylvania Boogie 9:30
3. Flopsmash Musics 4:50
4. Hungry Freaks, Daddy 3:59
5. The Orange County Lumber Truck 20:57
6. The Rewards Of A Career In Music 3:29

Who is the one telling the story on "Rewards"? Doesn't sound like Roy, Ian or Don. Maybe Artie or Bunk?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:00 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Who is the one telling the story on "Rewards"? Doesn't sound like Roy, Ian or Don. Maybe Artie or Bunk?

Bunk :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:48 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
FZ's stage banter is priceless throughout.

yes it is, especially the intro to octandre.

magnificent cd, finally got to hear it in it's entirety tonight. oclt really takes off at around 6:15. holiday in berlin is sublime. everything else uniformly excellent.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:01 pm 

Still waiting for that quality Musictoday shipping to come through :shock:

But you all are getting me psyched over this!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:09 pm 

Not had a chance to listen yet, just popping in to say my copy arrived up here in snowy Canada today so I expect some of you international types can plan on receiving yours accordingly. Hopefully you don;t get double fucked on the shipping with an extra "Import Fee" payable to the carrier like I did.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:43 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
The quick glance I gave to the insert did leave me with a better feeling than the cover. [..]

Nice. That's what I'm looking forward to.

jaypfunk wrote:

Hehe, since this evaluative observation was not all that pronounced...
(...I read it as "The sound quality is not bad at all for a 1968 recording," right? That 'face smashing with a splintered 2x4' was delivered with gusto and verve, though.)
:)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:48 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

I've read the reviews, I've heard it and I concur. IMHO this sounds better than CH. If you like the early Mothers this is one to get.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:43 am 

I'm glad I ordered it so quickly, this time.
That being said, I wouldn't mind if the ZFT dug out a Stereo show or two for the next couple of releases. As there's nothing wrong with one channel, there's nothing wrong with 2 channels, either, I feel.
:P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:09 am 

Probably not too many usable live tapes from 1968, mono or stereo. When they get to later years I bet we will get stereo.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:53 am 

pbuzby wrote:
Probably not too many usable live tapes from 1968, mono or stereo. When they get to later years I bet we will get stereo.
Yeah, I hold perfect sympathies for a 1968 one being mono, but knowing the ZFT, the next one could easily be a 1982 C60-reference tape with fades on every second track...ok, I'm just kidding. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:46 am 

I just want to add that any UK Zappa fans thinking of picking this up...DO!!
I got it at ZPZ's Nottingham gig on Monday evening (along with the new ZPZ FOH disc Out Of Obscurity), and it is most excellent. OCLT is excellent, but the Shortly: Holiday In Berlin suite is just magnificent, i wanted it to last for the whole disc. Oh and the OOO disc is well worth a pick up too, even if it is only a tribute :) .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:29 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
Yeah, I hold perfect sympathies for a 1968 one being mono, but knowing the ZFT, the next one could easily be a 1982 C60-reference tape with fades on every second track...ok, I'm just kidding. 8)

They would only release it in that state if it was deemed importance of nugety audiolaphalapy poodle-dee-dee-SCRUMPTIOUS! Or whatever the liner notes of these things are talking about...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:35 am 

Ruz-El wrote:
They would only release it in that state if it was deemed importance of nugety audiolaphalapy poodle-dee-dee-SCRUMPTIOUS! Or whatever the liner notes of these things are talking about...

:mrgreen: Haha! Couldn't have said that better myself!

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:42 am 

I Love this new release

What I find weird though is why on disc 1 are songs 2 and 3 melded together

If you read what number each song is from the cd packaging, and look at what song number is really playing - they are not the same

Strange

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:02 am 

Nothing strange. Either a separate track marker for TB was forgotten during mastering or the tracklist on the cover wasn't corrected. Simple human failure.

Th.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:04 pm 

do the two songs blend together? Maybe that's why? I don't know. I wont get a chance to listen until tomorrow probably

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:54 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:
do the two songs blend together? Maybe that's why? I don't know. I wont get a chance to listen until tomorrow probably

Yes, just as on "Ahead Of Their Time".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:17 pm 

Warts & All

That's what a series like this is supposed to be.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:38 pm 

Got it this evening, and unlike penguin, mine is undamaged.

Will listen tomorrow. :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:00 am 

tweezers wrote:
Got it this evening, and unlike penguin, mine is undamaged.

Will listen tomorrow. :D :D
Oh, you're so professional and disciplined ... :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next