Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 120  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:11 am 

NO'S GARAGE????

anyone else willing to jump in and say the Ryko Version is better on some of the tracks??

think maybe it was late at night in UMRK and Joe nodded off face first onto the sliders on the mixing desk?

think someone else mentioned Packard Goose

but i'll jump in with Outside Now, it seems to have lost all it's luster... the vocals and rhythm are up in the mix but the melody's down losing the contrast with the despondent voice track and the keyboard refrain

or is it just me?

Watermelon has also lost some of it's pomp but maybe that's good... is Watermelon an attempt to quantify the cheesy? after all easter hay is fake hay and watermelon is kind of throwaway derogatory... frank's attempt to show he could do it straight like the other's with no musical spanner's in the composition, trite title to show it's another musical joke?...on the new mix without the stadium splendor it sounds much more ecletic, much more zappa....

or is it just you?

also SyBorg has lost some of it's weirdness...sounding more straight dirty...it was somewhere in the keyboard soloing before, something absurdly beautiful ... now it sounds more seedy...

or is it just them?

only listened once mind... think i'll keep both and play back to back to back to back....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:40 am 

i would like to give a big thumbs up to Zoot Allures 2012....people go on and on about Hot Rats remix being a different album than the original but no one mentions the same for Zoot Allures...no one mentioned it to me anyway... Particulary the Torture Never Stops as it's now a languid ambient study of depression and its masochistic nature rather than a salacious homage to sadism.. and Disco Boy sounds so much more desperate... Wonderful Wino no longer sounds out of place... Pinky sounds dirtier... Zoot and Napkins sound majestic...Little Finger and Find Her are now a stand out tracks rather than a bonus....and it's all to do with the mix...that vocal heavy, deep, baritone whisper in your ear mix....

this is an album about lust and it's why you can see what's in Frank's pants on the cover.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:41 pm 

SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:
Just ordered Sleep Dirt and Chunga's Revenge. Sweet!

sleep dirt blew me away, hope you enjoy it.

just sat through, Thing-Fish and Francesco Zappa. I've always liked Thing-Fish and still do, even though it pretty much falls apart on disc 2. Francesco is such an odd-ball title compared to everything that came before, but still a joy. Reminded me allot of the sound track to "A Clockwork Orange", which isn't a bad thing. I thought they all sounded great. I

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:50 am 

Ruz-El wrote:
SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:
Just ordered Sleep Dirt and Chunga's Revenge. Sweet!

sleep dirt blew me away, hope you enjoy it.

Thanks man! I've already listened on it on Spotify and it sounds great. I bet it sounds even better in big stereo speakers. I already own the RYKO-disc with the vocals, and was a bit disappointed with that one. This new, back-to-analog one is a thrill in comparison. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:40 am 

[/quote]
I totally agree. It sounds better in many ways. Have you listened to all of them now? ;)[/quote]
I still have to listen to JABLFA, AF, GW, ZA, JG, SD, ST and TTR.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:52 am 

tiboudre wrote:
I still have to listen to JABLFA, AF, GW, ZA, JG, SD, ST and TTR.

Grand Wazoo is really great! AF as well. I am waiting for Sleep Dirt and Chungas Revenge right now.

With them I have nine of the new remasters (including BWS, HR, Apostrophe, Over-nite... and One Size Fits All), the next ones I'll buy will be Weasels... and Waka Jawaka. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:37 pm 

Bill Hicks 666 wrote:
NO'S GARAGE????

anyone else willing to jump in and say the Ryko Version is better on some of the tracks??

think maybe it was late at night in UMRK and Joe nodded off face first onto the sliders on the mixing desk?

No. You're out of your fucking mind, or stone deaf :P . The new version blows the Ryko away. You can hear the details of all the instruments better. I think on quite a few of the original Ryko CDs, FZ/Bob Stone just tweaked the guitar up slightly. So now you're hearing what it originally sounded like compared to what you were used to when the Ryko CDs came out. I noticed on Chunga's Revenge, the guitar is alot louder on the Ryko version too. But overall the UM Chunga's shits all over Ryko version.

Agreed that Zoot Allures finally sounds amazing on CD. That was my last grab. Got it last week.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:40 am 

Another "ordering story" from me.

Some time has passed and I have been busy all the time listening to those titles, that have been remastered from the original analog tapes: AF, HR, BWS, WRMF, CR, FE, JABFLA, WJ, GW, OS, A, OSFA, BF, ZA, ST, SY, SD, and nothing else.

I finally ordered the rest of the analog source remasters (JG, TR, YAWYI, SUAPYG) and hereby pronounce myself being through with this reissue campain and being ready for other things to come. I won't bother to buy any of the identical-to-previous-editions-titles just for completeness sake.

To anybody who is still in doubt: hurry up and get those analog remasters, you won't regret it.

Thinman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:33 pm 

Just picked up Mothermania - it is indeed #7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:58 pm 

just saw a tweet by Mr. Andrew Greenaway that included this link: http://www.allmusic.com/album/finer-mom ... 0002456780

Finer Moments

Disc 1

1 Intro
2 Sleazette
3 Mozart Piano Sonata In Bb
4 The Walking Zombie Music
5 The Old Curiosity Shoppe
6 You Never Know Who Your Friends Are
7 Uncle Rhebus

Disc 2

1 Music From The Big Squeeze
2 Enigmas 1 Thru 5
3 Pumped And Waxed
4 There Is No Heaven From Where Slogans Go To Die
5 Squeeze It, Squeeze It, Squeeze It
6 The Subcutaneous Peril

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:26 pm 

myourself wrote:
just saw a tweet by Mr. Andrew Greenaway that included this link: http://www.allmusic.com/album/finer-mom ... 0002456780

Huh. I wonder if it's a potential release or some weird boot? I think the last wave is out next week isn't it? Looks to be in Canada anyways. Still no sign of Mothermania or Understanding America on Amazon.ca. I'm hoping they well turn up at HMV in a couple weeks. they seem to be a week behind the release dates.

You'd think there would be a posting about this last batch by now... or that Roxy disc. NOPE!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:32 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:
You'd think there would be a posting about this last batch by now... or that Roxy disc. NOPE!

But that would break all of their conventions of non-communication! :mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:38 pm 

Googling "Zappa Finer Moments" this week, I have found that Allmusic page and this other web page where it says Zappa Records will release Läther and Finer Moments on December 18.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:45 pm 

I have no facts, just philosophizing like DeNameland:

GZ says: ". . . before this December 2012, in anticipation of The ACTUAL Movie, we are pleased to inform you that we are scheduling the release of the PREQUEL to the actual Soundtrack. Yes. You will! Appreciate the raw unbridledness of the 75 minutes and 49 seconds of Roxy without the Elsewhere. Further details on The Movie and P.S. (Prequel Soundtrack) as soon as the duckies are all lined up."

Perhaps "Finer Moments" = P.S.? (and perhaps "before this December 2012" means "during or even after" December 2012? Perhaps said duckies are still scattered and not in their proper queue? :roll: :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:33 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
I have no facts, just philosophizing like DeNameland:

GZ says: ". . . before this December 2012, in anticipation of The ACTUAL Movie, we are pleased to inform you that we are scheduling the release of the PREQUEL to the actual Soundtrack. Yes. You will! Appreciate the raw unbridledness of the 75 minutes and 49 seconds of Roxy without the Elsewhere. Further details on The Movie and P.S. (Prequel Soundtrack) as soon as the duckies are all lined up."

Perhaps "Finer Moments" = P.S.? (and perhaps "before this December 2012" means "during or even after" December 2012? Perhaps said duckies are still scattered and not in their proper queue? :roll: :mrgreen:

Ya mean a remastered...."Live At The Roxy" CD with the old restored footage. Whoopie! Not! Sans footage sucks,I want the Roxy Movie.I don't care if the ZFT uses Muppets as stand ins.Just show us what ya got.Please.
I''ve got it signed by Don,Tom & Napoleon.No need for another take....$*&*@#$ damn I've got two CD's of Roxy already.Knowing the whole shows lyrics makes it fun to watch.It's a sing-along for those of us who bought it when it came out or prefer this FZ CD.Less so than The Fillmore '71 but more so than The Grand Wazoo.
"Camp can ya turn me up so these nice people can hear me?"
Dink--dink-doink "Ladies and gentelmen this is a song about a place I used to live.1 2 3 4...

If your reading this or the skies spell out "Do something with the Roxy pictures." Let me know real quick like Gail.I've been waitng all of my life for my Roxy......Oh Gail.........Oh Gail!!!!!!!.............oh Gail.I want my Roxy,I want my Roxy,I want my Roxy,pretty mama! :wink: :smurf:

I'm in the mood to do just about anything.....anything? Yes anything,just for a chance to see the whole unedited Roxy movie. :mrgreen:

*I know it exist somewhere or is it all on utube already and th-th-th that's all folks?? :?

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:43 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:
[Still no sign of Mothermania or Understanding America on Amazon.ca. I'm hoping they well turn up at HMV in a couple weeks. they seem to be a week behind the release dates.

Those two aren't at Sunrise Records or HMV yet, either. Sooooo....I ordered them both from Barfco, yesterday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:59 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
If your reading this or the skies spell out "Do something with the Roxy pictures." Let me know real quick like Gail.I've been waitng all of my life for my Roxy......Oh Gail.........Oh Gail!!!!!!!.............oh Gail.I want my Roxy,I want my Roxy,I want my Roxy,pretty mama! :wink: :smurf:

Haha - well remember, Kapt. - it is scheduled to come out a year from now. I was just referring to GZ's promise of the 'P.S. (Prequel Soundtrack' release. I was questioning whether or not 'Finer Moments' and 'P.S' were one and the same. :wink:

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:06 pm 

Frank Zappa Live at The Roxy now on DVD at a store near you. Sounds heavenly.It would look great next to Baby Snakes and Uncle Meat. Just sayin',it would be like,super cool man. 8) man.

After all this time,why chance more? :lol: {-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:04 am 

myourself wrote:
just saw a tweet by Mr. Andrew Greenaway that included this link: http://www.allmusic.com/album/finer-mom ... 0002456780 Finer Moments
Disc 1

1 Intro
2 Sleazette
3 Mozart Piano Sonata In Bb
4 The Walking Zombie Music
5 The Old Curiosity Shoppe
6 You Never Know Who Your Friends Are
7 Uncle Rhebus
Disc 2

1 Music From The Big Squeeze
2 Enigmas 1 Thru 5
3 Pumped And Waxed
4 There Is No Heaven From Where Slogans Go To Die
5 Squeeze It, Squeeze It, Squeeze It
6 The Subcutaneous Peril

Ha, I'm downright upset that allmusic is knowing things about Zappa that I'm not. :)
Very great find, myourself! Looks like it's got some real fun moments on it, loads of ca.-1969-instrumental-madness, Synclavier (?) and what not.
Can't wait to see the artwork, made on an iphone by a 12-year old, yow ! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:55 pm 

Interesting review of the 2012 Reissues on youtube (Box of Sound #75: Zappa 2012 Remasters Plus)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6rt5WeX ... el&list=UL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:12 pm 

Got an Email from Amazon this morning!
UA and Mothermania are on there way!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:55 am 

Via http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/v ... akout.html:

Vaultmeister Joe Travers explains:
[T]he 1630 masters were in wretched shape by the time we transferred them in 2008. That Ampex tape stock is so problematic, they had to be baked in order to retrieve the data. FYI, we also had to do that for almost all of the 1630 Digital House Masters that the catalog lived on. It took almost a year to treat & save all of those tapes. UGH.

Does that mean, we only got the remasters from the analogue sources because some of the approved digital remasters were in unusable shape? That would explain the last minute (March this year) transfers from the original analogue sources - I wondered why that hadn't happened earlier.

Just kidding (hopefully). :?

Th.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:45 am 

Thinman wrote:
Via http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/v ... akout.html:

Vaultmeister Joe Travers explains:
[T]he 1630 masters were in wretched shape by the time we transferred them in 2008. That Ampex tape stock is so problematic, they had to be baked in order to retrieve the data. FYI, we also had to do that for almost all of the 1630 Digital House Masters that the catalog lived on. It took almost a year to treat & save all of those tapes. UGH.

Does that mean, we only got the remasters from the analogue sources because some of the approved digital remasters were in unusable shape? That would explain the last minute (March this year) transfers from the original analogue sources - I wondered why that hadn't happened earlier.

Just kidding (hopefully). :?

Th.

It's like they wouldn't go against Zappas own decisions, but had to with some of the albums. If it is that way, I'm sad that not all of the digital masters were in unusable shape. :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:50 am 

I'm frightened. The luck of having the good versions on CD finally – just an accident? :|

Th.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:20 pm 

Bill Hicks 666 wrote:
NO'S GARAGE????

think someone else mentioned Packard Goose

but i'll jump in with Outside Now, it seems to have lost all it's luster... the vocals and rhythm are up in the mix but the melody's down losing the contrast with the despondent voice track and the keyboard refrain...

That was me. I agree with your assessment. For me, the details of Frank's truly amazing guitar sound on this album are buried on the new disc (compare Packard Goose, from 3:40 on). I prefer the Ryko, even though it doesn't have as much umph as the remaster.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 120  Next