Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:00 am 

Am I the only one who's longing for a Project/Object version of Uncle Meat (DUMB QUESTION!!!)? It's my favorite Zappa album, and the current CD doesn't do it justice.

What do you want it to contain? How would you like the package to be?

I would love to have all the tracks remastered from the original analog source, and the King Kong suite put on the same CD as the other songs. And the penalty tracks would all be gone (or at least on another CD). I would also love some live performances of the songs from that period, especially the full King Kong. I would also love some interviews with Zappa/band members and of course some demos and outtakes.

How many CDs would that be? ;)

EDIT: "I would also love... I would also love... I would also love..." Yeah, I'm repeating myself.

Last edited by SonofSuzyCreamcheese on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:11 am 

Disc 1: the movie and the making of the movie

Disc 2: Tengo Na Minchia Tanta - The Evolution Of A Song: From An Idea To Only 50 Takes

Disc 3: Uncle Meat: The Cover Album featuring One Direction singing Electric Aunt Jemima, Lada Gaga's interpretation of Sleeping In A Jar, Bert Kaempfert's version of Zolar Czakl, and so much more

Discs 4 and 5: The Uncle Meat recording, interspersed with interviews of Frank and others discussing said recording

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:37 am 

For a second, I thought this one's for real :|
Why not use unambiguous headlines and also the Wish List thread pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez --

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:43 am 

I remember that Gail Zappa said somewhere that there are some albums that don't have too much "leftover" materials, and this is the case here, at Uncle Meat. If I remember well.

(yes, changing the title would be clever... or a question mark, at least.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:58 am 

I don't remember reading anything from Gail saying that there wasn't much unreleased Uncle Meat era material. I would guess the opposite.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:11 am 

pbuzby wrote:
I don't remember reading anything from Gail saying that there wasn't much unreleased Uncle Meat era material. I would guess the opposite.

I think I do - in GZ says:

Quote:
Re: the Project/Object series
Added: July 31st, 2012 in Questions

On Jul 28, 2012, at 8:50 AM, VINCENT CANNATA wrote:

Dear Mrs. Zappa,

Will there still be “Project/Object” versions of FZ albums made in the future?

Your, etc.,

Vincent Cannata

You betcha! But NOT this year. And there are only a few serious candidates for this because of limited relevant material. Thanks for asking.

“Music is the Best!”~fz

I might be wrong, but somewhere else she even mentioned Uncle Meat not being among the serious candidates - but I still might be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:35 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:
For a second, I thought this one's for real :|
Why not use unambiguous headlines and also the Wish List thread pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez --

Sorry. Changed the title. Forgot about the Wish List. Will ask a moderator to move this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:37 am 

balint wrote:
I remember that Gail Zappa said somewhere that there are some albums that don't have too much "leftover" materials, and this is the case here, at Uncle Meat. If I remember well.

(yes, changing the title would be clever... or a question mark, at least.)

I thought I read somewhere that the Uncle Meat 2012 edition had the Project/Object logo inside, but I might be wrong, and it isn't included in that serie. But why would they then not release the analog master of UM now? Is the tapes damaged/lost perhaps? :(

EDIT:

Quote:
t is being reported that that the following CDs also have the "Grand Rights Project/Object" logo on the album art....

The Grand Wazoo
Zoot Allures
Roxy
Over-nite Sensation
Sleep Dirt
Sheik Yerbouti
Joe's Garage
Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar
You Are What You Is

that in in addition to
Absolutely Free
Uncle Meat
Hot Rats

That means all of them might get an expanded set release.

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... a&start=66

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:05 am 

SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:
But why would they then not release the analog master of UM now?

-- Because the digital master sounds bitchin', analog-dependent sissies. If you want tape hiss, buy a Sony Walkman and transfer your CD albums to C90 (or 120, that's even better.) If you want less reverb, buy a carpet, get some books, and stuff your room up with 'em! :)

Last edited by buffalo_voice on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:06 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:

-- Because the digital master sounds bitchin', analog-dependent sissies. If you want tape hiss, buy a Sony Walkman and transfer your CD albums to C90 (or 120, that's even better.) If you want less reverb, buy a carpet, get some books, and stuff your room up with'em! :)

:(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:08 am 

Edit: Huh, just corrected one of the typos.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:23 am 

I
buffalo_voice wrote:

-- Because the digital master sounds bitchin', analog-dependent sissies. If you want tape hiss, buy a Sony Walkman and transfer your CD albums to C90 (or 120, that's even better.) If you want less reverb, buy a carpet, get some books, and stuff your room up with 'em! :)

I dig concepts like this: http://www.kulturtechno.de/?p=9218. Really.

Th.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:43 am 

I thought I read somewhere that the Uncle Meat 2012 edition had the Project/Object logo inside

Do you think it meas that there will be an extended release? I have QuAUDIOPHILIAc in my hand right now, and it ALSO has "This is a Project/Object project object". Does it mean anything at all?

And the list you have up there - almost all the albums from the seventies are on it. It is not very likely, to me (after what Gail said).

TO ME, an extended version of

- Orchestral Favorites (full concert)
- 200 Motels - the Groupie Opera
- Chalk Pie (1981)
- Bongo Fury tour material;

would be nice... :-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:49 am 

balint wrote:
I thought I read somewhere that the Uncle Meat 2012 edition had the Project/Object logo inside

Do you think it meas that there will be an extended release? I have QuAUDIOPHILIAc in my hand right now, and it ALSO has "This is a Project/Object project object". Does it mean anything at all?

To be honest, I don't know. But I hope it has something to do with special editions of those albums, why else put that logo there?

Let us at least hope.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:18 am 

I could see a re-release of Uncle Meat in analogue with packaged with a DVD/Bluray of the film. I hope anyway. It would be nice to get the movie for completeness sake.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:32 am 

At one point this was to be a 3 record set - my guess is the left over material ended up on Weasels and the Lost Episodes or the Mystery Disc - Cops and Buns was one cut.

They could also include additional cuts from the Miami show from wince King Kong came.

Plus isn't there a single edit of Dog Breath?

The lp's title was No Commercial Potential which was referenced on Road Tapes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:18 pm 

... why else put that logo there?

Oh well, you're way too logical - here, in Barfieland... (and remember: it's also on Quaudio, and maybe some else, from years ago). So:

Why do they promise this and that?
Why don't they give correct informations?
Why not release Rage and The Fury?...
etc. etc...

Questions, questions... but you'll never get the answer from the world of logic..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:09 pm 

Bobby wrote:
At one point this was to be a 3 record set - my guess is the left over material ended up on Weasels and the Lost Episodes or the Mystery Disc - Cops and Buns was one cut.

They could also include additional cuts from the Miami show from wince King Kong came.

Plus isn't there a single edit of Dog Breath?

The lp's title was No Commercial Potential which was referenced on Road Tapes.

Yep, the single mix of Dog Breath without the vocals. We need the full single version of Guitar as well, the one on YCDTOSA vol5 is a shortened edit.

The main reason for an Uncle Meat project/object is to get the original dry LP version on CD, as well as the original mix of Mr Green Genes.

I'm sure the fabled Whisky live show that turns up in the vault video would make a fantastic extra.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:30 pm 

What the hell's wrong with the ZFT??
UNCLE MEAT is one of the cornerstones of Zappa's entire catalogue!

"THE" masterpiece of the original Mothers of Invention!

It's STILL not been released "properly."

Forget Lumpy Gravy forget WOIIFTM............
UNCLE MEAT is THE "early masterwork"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:37 am 

balint wrote:
... why else put that logo there?

Oh well, you're way too logical

Well, I guess you're right. But as long as there is hope... ;)

jeddy wrote:

I totally agree with you that Uncle Meat is the greatest of the original Mothers albums. In my opinion it's the greatest of all of Zappas albums. I love every track, even the ones with dialouge. And is there a more perfect pop song than Cruising for Burgers?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:20 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Disc 1: the movie and the making of the movie

Disc 2: Tengo Na Minchia Tanta - The Evolution Of A Song: From An Idea To Only 50 Takes

Disc 3: Uncle Meat: The Cover Album featuring One Direction singing Electric Aunt Jemima, Lada Gaga's interpretation of Sleeping In A Jar, Bert Kaempfert's version of Zolar Czakl, and so much more

Discs 4 and 5: The Uncle Meat recording, interspersed with interviews of Frank and others discussing said recording

i'm in!!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:57 am 

And is there a more perfect pop song than Cruising for Burgers?

No.

I think there's probably enough material for an U/M P/O but I'd rather see a 'Burnt Weasel Meat' type box covering the last few years of the original Mothers with plenty of improv highlights from '69. That's fantasy land, though. I think the state of the recent re-issue is evidence enough that a P/O with (at least) the dry mix of U/M is in the works. Surely the next three P/Os planned must be Uncle Meat, Roxy, and Orchestral Favorites. Possibly ZINY.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:37 am 

balint wrote:

And the list you have up there - almost all the albums from the seventies are on it. It is not very likely, to me (after what Gail said).

the Grand Right Project/Object logo is also on the 2008 Zappa Plays Zappa DVD. now what's that suppossed to mean?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:52 am 

jeddy wrote:

FZ considered WOIIFTM and LG two of his best albums (especially LG) while I don't think he ever mentioned having as much love for Uncle Meat.

That said, my guess is there will be a ZFT deluxe release of Uncle Meat eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:33 am 

myourself wrote:
the Grand Right Project/Object logo is also on the 2008 Zappa Plays Zappa DVD. now what's that suppossed to mean?

hehe - if you ask me: nothing. :-)

It's the ususal barfie-talk: fills space, tries to sound sofisticated, means nothing.