Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 60  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:41 am
Posts: 1180
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Quilt wrote:
Devin Townsend 'The Retinal Circus' at the Roundhouse.
Amazing, but the Vai narration was out of sync for the most part.
Fucking amazing gig.
I doubt I'll see the likes of that show again...


So Vai was "narrating" the show via some type of satellite/Internet link and it was asynchronous with the actual performance?


Vai was on a couple of screens narrating the story-it was pre-filmed, but had some eyebrows-he wasn't merely reading from a script.

The narrative was probably unnecessary, but it was a cool way to tie in lots of music from Devin's career so far.

Anneke was gorgeous.

There will be a dvd, which I will get, but being there was special. Fucking intense in places, and very funny in others.

He is a one-off. Very talented.
It is nice to consider that he and Vai are pals-my first experience of seeing either of them was on the S&R tour in '93 at Hammersmith.

Brilliant.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3273
Location: Chicago, IL
Quilt wrote:
So Vai was "narrating" the show via some type of satellite/Internet link and it was asynchronous with the actual performance?


Vai was on a couple of screens narrating the story-it was pre-filmed, but had some eyebrows-he wasn't merely reading from a script.

The narrative was probably unnecessary, but it was a cool way to tie in lots of music from Devin's career so far.

Anneke was gorgeous.

There will be a dvd, which I will get, but being there was special. Fucking intense in places, and very funny in others.

He is a one-off. Very talented.
It is nice to consider that he and Vai are pals-my first experience of seeing either of them was on the S&R tour in '93 at Hammersmith.

Brilliant.[/quote]


Thanks man. I've tried a few of his albums and Strapping Young Lad but never got sucked in. Most of it was too heavy for my taste (but I'm open). What would you say is the one quintessential album that I need to hear?

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3606
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quilt wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Quilt wrote:
Devin Townsend 'The Retinal Circus' at the Roundhouse.
Amazing, but the Vai narration was out of sync for the most part.
Fucking amazing gig.
I doubt I'll see the likes of that show again...


So Vai was "narrating" the show via some type of satellite/Internet link and it was asynchronous with the actual performance?


Vai was on a couple of screens narrating the story-it was pre-filmed, but had some eyebrows-he wasn't merely reading from a script.

The narrative was probably unnecessary, but it was a cool way to tie in lots of music from Devin's career so far.

Anneke was gorgeous.

There will be a dvd, which I will get, but being there was special. Fucking intense in places, and very funny in others.

He is a one-off. Very talented.
It is nice to consider that he and Vai are pals-my first experience of seeing either of them was on the S&R tour in '93 at Hammersmith.

Brilliant.


Nice! I wish I could've been there. I'm definitely buying the DVD.

I've seen Devin live 4 times in the past 2 years here. And he's playing here again in January. I've actually met him twice and nearly ran into him late at night a few months ago one week before the last show he played here. My former co-worker knows Devin through singing for a local roots rock band called the Matinee, when both of the Young Brothers used to play with the Matinee (I think one of them still does occasionally). Devin's a super nice guy and IMO truly is the Frank Zappa of my generation...

PenguinInBondage wrote:
I've tried a few of his albums and Strapping Young Lad but never got sucked in. Most of it was too heavy for my taste (but I'm open). What would you say is the one quintessential album that I need to hear?


Well, that's hard to answer, since most of Devin's material is rooted in prog-metal...but IMO his whole catalogue is worth a listen. Here's a basic description of his titles:

Ocean Machine: Biomech ~ melodic prog-metal
Infinity ~ melodic prog-metal
Physicist ~ essentially sounds like a restrained extreme-metal SYL album
Terria ~ atmospheric & melodic prog-rock/metal
Accelerated Evolution ~ melodic prog-rock/metal
Devlab ~ ambient
Synchestra ~ melodic prog-rock/metal
The Hummer ~ ambient
Ziltoid The Omniscient ~ comedic prog-metal concept album
Ki ~ coffee shop metal
Addicted ~ catchy prog-rock/metal
Deconstruction ~ super-over-the-top prog/extreme metal masterpiece
Ghost ~ soft-rock, almost new age
Epicloud ~ catchy prog-rock/metal


Btw, his favourite FZ albums are Joe's Garage and Them Or Us. :wink:

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:41 am
Posts: 1180
I'd say you have things summed up nicely with that breakdown of Devin's albums.
Ocean Machine, Accelerated Evolution, Addicted and Epicloud are my faves.
Epicloud with the bonus Epiclouder would be my recommendation at the moment. Get it while it's cheapie on Amazon! Both intense prog metal and some quieter stuff. And Anneke(!).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3273
Location: Chicago, IL
Thanks, I'll try Ocean Machine and Epicloud next. If these don't "take", I don't think Devin's for me. :wink:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:21 pm
Posts: 467
Saw 'zappa plays zappa' last saturday at the Camden Roundhouse, London.
Superb gig.

some cheap video on YouTube (and Penguin in bondage audio, with pics)
find by typing

zappa plays zappa camden roundhouse.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3606
Location: Vancouver, BC
UPDATE:

Jan. 26 ~ Concrete Blonde, Richshaw Theatre
May 26 ~ Roger Waters (The Wall Live), BC Place Stadium
July 2 ~ Dream Theater w/ Crimson ProjeKct, Gibson Amphitheater, Universal City, CA
Aug. 3 ~ Rodger Hodgson, River Rock Show Theatre
Sep. 5 ~ Devin Townsend Project / Katatonia, Commordore Ballroom
Oct. 5 ~ Steve Vai, Commodore Ballroom
Nov. 11 ~ Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Rogers Arena
Nov. 12 ~ Leonard Cohen, Rogers Arena
Nov. 13 ~ Rush, Key Arena, Seattle, WA
Dec. 3 ~ Journey (1st time in Vancouver in 30 years!), Loverboy & Night Ranger, Rogers Arena
Dec. 22 ~ Zappa Plays Zappa, Commodore Ballroom



I saw Rush live at Key Arena in Seattle on Tuesday night and I can't say how much I enjoyed it! The production values (Howard U keeps raising the bar each tour), the flow of the setlist, the reaction from the fans, to the sheer intensity of the experience! Rush are truly at the top of their game. They are like fine wine - they just keep gettin' better. Despite the fact I had a decent centre ice lower bowl seat, the only down side to the show was that the sound could've been better - at times Geddy & Alex were either too low or too high in the mix. But overall, the sound was pretty good. There were a few fuck-ups. The first one, was at the beginning of the 2nd set, Alex was supposed to start playing the intro to Caravan with Neil, but his black Les Paul Axcess wasn't turned on and then gave his roadie a dirty look. About 10 seconds later it was fixed but it kind of messed up the song for me. The second, was near the end of Tom Sawyer, when Alex usually meets Geddy at Neil's drum kit to finish the tune but didn't this time, and started playing one of the main riffs at regular speed, instead of slowing it down. Geddy was waiting at Neil's kit with a big smile on his face, just waiting for Alex to realize the fuck-up and when he did, he looked over his shoulder and they both laughed (I think Neil probably did too)! :mrgreen: Throughout the 2 hour and 40 minute performance, I don't think I've EVER seen them this happy playing live compared to other tours. They were precise as always but just goofy as hell. And don't even get me started on the intro, intermission and outro films! Also, Alex gave a nod to Washington State's recent legalization of recreational marijuana! :mrgreen:

The show was a virtual sell-out. There were at least 10,000 there, possibly 11,000. And many of them were from Vancouver, including several I ran into at the motel I was staying at, and also a few friends who were there.

I stayed in Seattle for much of the next day and went to the top of the Space Needle, where I saw a Father, Mother and Daughter wearing black hoodies that read, "got geddy?", "got lifeson?" & "got peart?". I shit you not. :mrgreen: I also went to Experience Music Project (EMP) and even bought a set of FZ guitar picks in a Freak Out! case (w/ the FO, WOIIFTM, CWR&TJ, HR, BWS, WRMF album covers on the fronts and the FZ imperial on the backs) before heading back home.


SETLIST (1 of 9 variations throughout the Clockwork Angels tour):


Set 1:

Video Intro (Gearing Up)
Subdivisions
The Big Money
Force 10
Grand Designs
Middletown Dreams
Territories
Analog Kid
The Pass
Where's My Thing (with drum solo)
Far Cry

Intermission (Clockwork Angels String Ensemble enters)

Set 2:

Video Intro (The Appointment)
Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight (with drum solo)
Halo Effect (with guitar solo intro)
Wish Them Well
The Garden
Dreamline
The Percussor (drum solo)
Red Sector A
YYZ
(Clockwork Angels String Ensemble exits)
The Spirit of Radio

Encore:

Tom Sawyer
2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx/Grand Finale
Video Outro (Office Of The Watchmaker)



Here's some cool pics from the show:


Image

Image

Image

Image


I can't wait for the 2nd North American leg next summer! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:41 am
Posts: 1180
Motörhead and Anthrax
BIC
Bournemouth

Anthrax were great. Motörhead ok.
Lemmy seemed subdued and stood at the back of the stage just in front of the drum riser.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13745
Location: Billy, the mountain...
Cool pics, Disco. Better than politics...

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4870
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Disco Boy wrote:

Jan. 26 ~ Concrete Blonde, Richshaw Theatre


Any good? I like the Cds but have never seen them live.

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:54 pm
Posts: 399
Going to Neil Young & Crazy horse (3rd row) at Madison Square Garden, and also seein The Who-Quadrophenia show also at MSG.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3606
Location: Vancouver, BC
Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Jan. 26 ~ Concrete Blonde, Richshaw Theatre


Any good? I like the Cds but have never seen them live.


It was pretty good. I saw Johnette here a few years ago but CB hadn't played here for 8 years and I've never seen them live. They played a full 2 hour show and I really liked Mankey's guitar playing/style, so I was watching him for most of the night. Johnette was a bit "emotional" near the end of the set and went on a rant about the drug users she witnessed in the back alley before the show (the Rickshaw isn't in the best part of town) and literally stormed off the stage at the very end. They didn't play my favourite song, Heal It Up but it was still a good show...

Rahdley wrote:
Going to Neil Young & Crazy horse (3rd row) at Madison Square Garden, and also seein The Who-Quadrophenia show also at MSG.


SPOILER:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPkg-_uxbMI

I was about 10 rows back on the GA floor.

NY & CH were also on stage for 2 hours but only played about 12 or 13 songs. So there was a LOT of jamming. It was fucking awesome! F*!#in' Up was a particular highlight. And you'll know why when you see them at MSG next week...:mrgreen:

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9595
disco boy wrote:
... including several I ran into at the motel I was staying at, and also a few friends who were there.

I stayed in Seattle for much of the next day...
there's a motel in seattle called the edgewater inn ... let's say you were a travelling rock 'n roll band called rush, let's say one night you checked into the edgewater inn with an 8mm movie camera, enough recently legalized & commercially available bud to make it more interesting, & a crew of succulent young canadian road ladies with a taste for the bizarre

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3606
Location: Vancouver, BC
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
disco boy wrote:
... including several I ran into at the motel I was staying at, and also a few friends who were there.

I stayed in Seattle for much of the next day...
there's a motel in seattle called the edgewater inn ... let's say you were a travelling rock 'n roll band called rush, let's say one night you checked into the edgewater inn with an 8mm movie camera, enough recently legalized & commercially available bud to make it more interesting, & a crew of succulent young canadian road ladies with a taste for the bizarre


Fucking hell! I forgot to visit the Edgewater Inn. Next time... :wink:

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
calvin2hikers wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Really crossing my fingers on ZPZ in December. They've got billboards advertising it.

How close to the road are the billboards and how far spaced? :mrgreen:


There's a big billboard on the way home from work, on one of the busiest intersections. I was really surprised. Then there's a smaller one right next to the interstate. If they don't sell this out, then it won't be for lack of trying. Maybe because the venue is different than the last time they were in the area.

Which show is closest to you cal.Council Bluffs looks the closest to the Omaha area of Nebraska.It might not be the easiest though.Wat-up wid dat,man? I'd love to see a picture of those DZpZ billboards.That would be cool.Maybe take a quick,out the window,picture of them on the way home for us cal? 8) I don't want you to smoke in pojamas over it,you might start a fire and burn Franks face on your t-shirt! :lol:



One another note,The local oldies station did an add for the new Zappa releases of his old catalog.They did a good clear concise,short piece and didn't play any FZ/MOI for support...and they won't and they don't they can't they wouldn't, they shouldn't they,they cant,it can't happen here,they told me no no no.I pleaded yes,yes,yes,they said they can't monatarily justify playing anyone who won't pay them they're regular fee.I laughed and said "Tee,he,hee" it should be easy to see,your an asshole.that's why you pretend not to have one,but it's winkin' at you.Yes it's winkin' at you ooh.So Ram it up your poop shoot my baby.Ramit ramit ramit up yer poopshoot.Ain't this boogie a mess.Yes,yes,yes.I don't do this all the time but what the hey,ladies you can laugh about your assholes too! Really! Please try now! On 4,1-2-3-go,
Ladies poopshoots are now hilarous fodder for jokes! :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:42 pm
Posts: 1035
Location: The Short Forest
Future Of The Left tomorrow night.
High On Fire next Monday.

First show of '13 - Billy Cobham's Spectrum tour, 1/19.

Dates:
16/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"B.B.King". NEW YORK, NY.

17/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"Regattabar". CAMBRIDGE, MA.

18/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"Mauch Chunk Opera House". JIM THORPE, PA.

19/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"Tralf Music Hall". BUFFALO, NY.

22/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"Birchmere". ALEXANDRIA, VA.

24/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"Colonial Theatre". PHOENIXVILLE, PA.

25/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"YMCA Boulton Center". BAY SHORE, NY.

26/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"The Mint". LOS ANGELES, CA.

28/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"Yoshis Oakland". OAKLAND, CA.

31/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"Kuumbwa Jazz Center". SANTA CRUZ, CA.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:54 pm
Posts: 399
Disco Boy wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Jan. 26 ~ Concrete Blonde, Richshaw Theatre


Any good? I like the Cds but have never seen them live.


It was pretty good. I saw Johnette here a few years ago but CB hadn't played here for 8 years and I've never seen them live. They played a full 2 hour show and I really liked Mankey's guitar playing/style, so I was watching him for most of the night. Johnette was a bit "emotional" near the end of the set and went on a rant about the drug users she witnessed in the back alley before the show (the Rickshaw isn't in the best part of town) and literally stormed off the stage at the very end. They didn't play my favourite song, Heal It Up but it was still a good show...

Rahdley wrote:
Going to Neil Young & Crazy horse (3rd row) at Madison Square Garden, and also seein The Who-Quadrophenia show also at MSG.


SPOILER:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPkg-_uxbMI

I was about 10 rows back on the GA floor.

NY & CH were also on stage for 2 hours but only played about 12 or 13 songs. So there was a LOT of jamming. It was fucking awesome! F*!#in' Up was a particular highlight. And you'll know why when you see them at MSG next week...:mrgreen:



Thanks for the mini review! Can't wait.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:54 pm
Posts: 399
Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Future Of The Left tomorrow night.
High On Fire next Monday.

First show of '13 - Billy Cobham's Spectrum tour, 1/19.

Dates:
16/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"B.B.King". NEW YORK, NY.

17/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"Regattabar". CAMBRIDGE, MA.

18/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"Mauch Chunk Opera House". JIM THORPE, PA.

19/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"Tralf Music Hall". BUFFALO, NY.

22/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"Birchmere". ALEXANDRIA, VA.

24/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"Colonial Theatre". PHOENIXVILLE, PA.

25/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"YMCA Boulton Center". BAY SHORE, NY.

26/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"The Mint". LOS ANGELES, CA.

28/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"Yoshis Oakland". OAKLAND, CA.

31/01/2013
BILLY COBHAM SPECTRUM 40TH ANN. TOUR
"Kuumbwa Jazz Center". SANTA CRUZ, CA.


Who is featured in the band this tour?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:42 pm
Posts: 1035
Location: The Short Forest
From The Tralf Music Hall's website:

BILLY COBHAM'S 'SPECTRUM 40'
Featuring
Jerry Goodman / Dean Brown / Gary Husband / Ric Fierabracci

I know that Dean Brown is the bassist who's played w/ Billy since the early '80s at least. Jerry Goodman :shock: You know we're in for some Mahavishnu material :smoke: . I don't know much about Husband, other than that he's a well schooled guy, always on Abstract Logix releases, and probably is in Guitar Geek mags every month. I hope he can nail Bolin's nasty style and yet add some "eyebrows". I don't want to hear clean, "nice" guitar on those tunes.

I take it the keyboard player will be playing all the horn parts. I'd rather have real horns, and upright bass on some of the mellower tunes from Spectrum. Hope he covers some stuff from Total Eclipse and Crosswinds too. Either way this show's gonna rule. Cobham is the greatest. Saw him once before, on the first Jazz Is Dead tour in '98 w/ Jimmy Herring, Alphonso Johnson and the keyboard player from Dixie Dregs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:54 pm
Posts: 399
Fred..This is a little random, but have you heard the Yellow Fields album by Eberhard Weber? More Jazz than fusion but great.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:42 pm
Posts: 1035
Location: The Short Forest
Rahdley wrote:
Fred..This is a little random, but have you heard the Yellow Fields album by Eberhard Weber? More Jazz than fusion but great.


Nope.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:35 pm
Posts: 107
Location: Chicago
Well, I WON'T be going to the Chicago Jazz Orchestra playing FZ.... They cancelled today. In the cancellation email, there were only 9 return addresses...... Two of which were Arkay and me. Would've been nice if they'd promoted it. :x

_________________
Plastic people. Oh baby now. You're such a drag.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3273
Location: Chicago, IL
Ronald Noomies wrote:
Well, I WON'T be going to the Chicago Jazz Orchestra playing FZ.... They cancelled today. In the cancellation email, there were only 9 return addresses...... Two of which were Arkay and me. Would've been nice if they'd promoted it. :x


Seriously? A buddy of mine literally just sent me a picture of a flyer for it asking if I was going. DAMN! Would it help if I bought several tickets tonight? :cry:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5917
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Just saw Läther performing at the The Gov, in Adelaide, about a week ago. They'd sorted out the bass problem in their mix from the time before and it was a fantastic show. I've reviewed them elsewhere: the band leader has Dweezil like competence as a guitarist and leader but he's a little too reserved, although he seems to be working on it, the singer is quite a character and his voice goes well with the music, the remaining band, a drummer, a bass player, a keyboard player, three guys on various brass and two (I said two) percussionists are all excellent musicians. Their repertoire leans heavily towards numbers that are more difficult to play live. They do a great Inca Roads, Let's Move to Cleveland and RDNZL among others.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Last edited by polydigm on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:35 pm
Posts: 107
Location: Chicago
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Ronald Noomies wrote:
Well, I WON'T be going to the Chicago Jazz Orchestra playing FZ.... They cancelled today. In the cancellation email, there were only 9 return addresses...... Two of which were Arkay and me. Would've been nice if they'd promoted it. :x


Seriously? A buddy of mine literally just sent me a picture of a flyer for it asking if I was going. DAMN! Would it help if I bought several tickets tonight? :cry:

I was really looking forward to this one. Fuckshitpiss. :x :x :x

_________________
Plastic people. Oh baby now. You're such a drag.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 60  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group