Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 120  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:37 am 

Just got the LSO cd

Loaded up on the comuter two tunes from the new one and the same tunes from the Ryko disc.
The waveforms are IDENTICAL. I mean.....IDENTICAL.
NO volume increase even! Nothing.
Save your money and keep the Ryko.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:57 am 

I'm glad i ain't bought many FZ 2012 releases yet i'll buy them and listen in work holidays :twisted:
and another reason now on iink says.
2012 Japanese paper-sleeve SHM-CD (Zappa/Universal UICY-75350 November 28, 2012)
http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/v ... akout.html
:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:16 pm 

I'm wondering if anybody here has compared the new reissues to the Japanese Ryko cd's? I have the complete 59 title mini-lp Japan set and I think the new reissues sound better. Even the ones that aren't newly remastered, like Man From Utopia, to me sound clearer, stronger in regards to the instrumentation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:21 pm 

Thinman wrote:
Calm down, people. I had heard several bootlegs of Läther. But that was somewhat 30 years ago.
Probably the Edison version wasn't among them. All versions I had heard sounded like they came from the same radio broadcast source, though.

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/bootlegs/counterfeits.html#L%E4ther

Th.

If you haven't heard it then you should shut the fuck up about it then. and YES the other boots like Leatherette and Pa Nose were all worse quality and def inferior to the Edison Box, that's why we are all stating the fact that the Edison Box was from the test pressing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:05 pm 

jeddy wrote:
Just got the LSO cd

Loaded up on the comuter two tunes from the new one and the same tunes from the Ryko disc.
The waveforms are IDENTICAL. I mean.....IDENTICAL.
NO volume increase even! Nothing.
Save your money and keep the Ryko.

A good reason to buy the new one would be that both volumes are included in it...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:27 pm 

Anyone have issues about the choice of using Ruben & The Jets's 80's masters? I know 'Greasy Love Songs' has the original ones, but It would have been nice to have a reissue version with both original masters and cover. Why do it for WOIIFTM and not this one? Annoying.....

Post subject: re: fz 2012 reissues
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:26 pm 

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:15 am 

Assuming that the sheet is genuine, it's interesting to see that it has the same number as the Edison Box, SRZ-4-1500 --

I know of a Norwegian collector who has a full set of the test pressing, Håkon Busterud:

– Hva er det mest spesielle du har?

– Noen plater som Zappa skulle ha gitt ut i 1977. Men på grunn av en krangel mellom to plateselskaper ble den aldri offentlig gitt ut, kun testpressa. Det finnes 15 komplette eksemplarer på kloden. De er ikke til salgs, understreker han.

- What is the most special objekt you have?

- Some records that Zappa wanted to publish in 1977. But because of a quarrel between two record companies it was never published, it only reached the test pressing stage. There are 15 complete copies in existence. My copy is not for sale!

http://www.op.no/kulturhuset/article4836703.ece

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:18 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
Assuming that the sheet is genuine, it's interesting to see that it has the same number as the Edison Box, SRZ-4-1500 --

I know of a Norwegian collector who has a full set of the test pressing, Håkon Busterud:

– Hva er det mest spesielle du har?

– Noen plater som Zappa skulle ha gitt ut i 1977. Men på grunn av en krangel mellom to plateselskaper ble den aldri offentlig gitt ut, kun testpressa. Det finnes 15 komplette eksemplarer på kloden. De er ikke til salgs, understreker han.

- What is the most special objekt you have?

- Some records that Zappa wanted to publish in 1977. But because of a quarrel between two record companies it was never published, it only reached the test pressing stage. There are 15 complete copies in existence. My copy is not for sale!

http://www.op.no/kulturhuset/article4836703.ece

I have a black Verve LP of UM, the Torchum Team books, the Toxic Shock trilogy, some other LP bootlegs, just stuff....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:27 am 

tweezers wrote:
I have a black Verve LP of UM, the Torchum Team books, the Toxic Shock trilogy, some other LP bootlegs, just stuff....

Good for you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:34 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
tweezers wrote:

Good for you.

8) and I just remembered, a Bizarre LP pressing of "The Ark."

I was only responding to the question of whether any of us had special items. I bet I have a bunch of others, but old people are forgetful and we don't know what we have.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:07 pm 

Thinman wrote:
I'm frightened. The luck of having the good versions on CD finally – just an accident? :|

Th.

Then he has to go to other forums to post this:

About the 2012 analog remasters: After thinking about it for some days now, I'm nearly 100% convinced that we only got them because the 1993 approved digital masters of those titles appeared unusable (the Ampex problem) and Joe Travers had to make last minute transfers from the original analog masters in March 2012 (!) to be able to reissue those titles. That would be typical ZFT habits and approach.

I believe they never had plans to remaster anything from the analog mastertapes. Why would they do the transfers as late as March 2012?

Sincerly,
Thinman

Another example of misinformation being spread around by choice from people who have deep issues from the lack of information and communication on behalf of the ZFT
Here is some information for you, you are totally wrong.
Yes, everyone has the right to post their opinions, but in the case of these remasters & all of the hard work on behalf of me and others.........I won't let this slide because of your true colors and obsessions.

Joining discussions on this forum is probably not on his list of priorities at the moment, which I don't mind.

I could just not read the forums and reviews and such... but I am interested in what people have to say. But there are certain people who....well......you get the picture. Why let them win all the time? They don't deserve it.
Call me a "bully" or "passive/aggressive".
whatever

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:12 pm 

vaultmeister wrote:
I could just not read the forums and reviews and such... but I am interested in what people have to say. But there are certain people who....well......you get the picture. Why let them win all the time? They don't deserve it.
whatever

Joe

Ooh - please let us know your take on the P.S. business structure, Joe - we'd love to hear it! :)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:20 pm 

I'm nearly 100% convinced that we only got them because the 1993 approved digital masters of those titles appeared unusable (the Ampex problem) and Joe Travers had to make last minute transfers from the original analog masters in March 2012 (!) to be able to reissue those titles. That would be typical ZFT habits and approach.

Thinman is a douche!! what a stupid theory.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:24 pm 

In regards to Lather...having never heard any of the test pressings myself, how does the Edison version stack up to the official Ryko version? Better? Worse? The same? Excluding the bonus material on the Ryko version, are there any differences in content?

Last edited by SPACEBROTHER on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:25 pm 

vaultmeister wrote:
Thinman wrote:
I'm frightened. The luck of having the good versions on CD finally – just an accident? :|

Th.

Then he has to go to other forums to post this:

About the 2012 analog remasters: After thinking about it for some days now, I'm nearly 100% convinced that we only got them because the 1993 approved digital masters of those titles appeared unusable (the Ampex problem) and Joe Travers had to make last minute transfers from the original analog masters in March 2012 (!) to be able to reissue those titles. That would be typical ZFT habits and approach.

I believe they never had plans to remaster anything from the analog mastertapes. Why would they do the transfers as late as March 2012?

Sincerly,
Thinman

Another example of misinformation being spread around by choice from people who have deep issues from the lack of information and communication on behalf of the ZFT
Here is some information for you, you are totally wrong.
Yes, everyone has the right to post their opinions, but in the case of these remasters & all of the hard work on behalf of me and others.........I won't let this slide because of your true colors and obsessions.

Joining discussions on this forum is probably not on his list of priorities at the moment, which I don't mind.

whatever

Joe

Just another missed opportunity to clear things up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:27 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
I'm nearly 100% convinced that we only got them because the 1993 approved digital masters of those titles appeared unusable (the Ampex problem) and Joe Travers had to make last minute transfers from the original analog masters in March 2012 (!) to be able to reissue those titles. That would be typical ZFT habits and approach.

Thinman is a douche!! what a stupid theory.

It's awfully "conspiracy theory". I don't know how you could be "nearly 100% convinced" with no proof. I don't see that being "typical ZFT". My frustrations have almost always lied on the business and promotion end more so than the aural integrity. I always hold Joe's decisions (or, at least, what appear to me to be his decisions) in high regard. I know others have complained about sonic concerns (and I agree with some of those concerns as well) - but, like I said, my primary frustrations have been much more concentrated in the business/promotions end. Today's "revolutionary" announcement has further cemented those concerns of mine. Just my 2 pennies.

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:30 pm 

Thinman is the Zappa.com forum's Jesse Ventura

"Mind control!!"

fuckin' idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:33 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
… I don't know how you could be "nearly 100% convinced" with no proof. …

No proof. But also no dementi and no information how it really was.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:35 pm 

Thinman wrote:

Nobody owes you anything.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:41 pm 

There is little questioning of Joe's or the ZFT's integrity or that they trifle with Frank's legacy. But this is an open forum, and I bet that Frank wouldn't be bothered if someone said something he disagreed with, he would just lay into them, it is OK to do so.

Joe, as a younger guy, did you try to get the ZFT to consider a more modern model for ROXY funding. If I had the $1,000 I would just spend it as a fanatic, but if I had that kind of money just laying around, I would have 10 copies each of the 2012 masters...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:42 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Thinman wrote:

Nobody owes you anything.

I know. I shall just open my wallet and ask no questions.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:54 pm 

Thinman wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:

I'm going to take a wild guess that you are unfamiliar with this quote from 2004:

vaultmeister wrote:
If I had my way, in a perfect world. I'd remaster every FZ record that was on vinyl (pre-1985) with todays technology from the original edited master mix-down tapes. SACD deluxe editions, etc. My dream come true. Pristine remasters from the versions we all know & love.

Does that sound like someone who felt forced to use the analog masters?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:55 pm 

Glad that clears up what the Lather re-issue that is out in a few weeks is going to be sourced from.

Err....wait...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:03 pm 

dlokazip wrote:
Thinman wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:

I'm going to take a wild guess that you are unfamiliar with this quote from 2004:

vaultmeister wrote:
If I had my way, in a perfect world. I'd remaster every FZ record that was on vinyl (pre-1985) with todays technology from the original edited master mix-down tapes. SACD deluxe editions, etc. My dream come true. Pristine remasters from the versions we all know & love.

Does that sound like someone who felt forced to use the analog masters?

I wasn't aware of the quote. Yes, sometimes I develope strange theories (on forums), so somebody can proof me wrong finally with information based on facts. I'm glad this is cleared up now and the analog remasters can be enjoyed in all their intended glory :smurf:

Thank you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 120  Next