Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:47 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
tweezers wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
I suspect he either didn't expect there would be the negative reaction of several fans to the film excerpts, or didn't care.

Either way. We tend to give him more credit than anyone deserves on this forum - he was marketing his product in a way he thought was

Was....what? Illegal? Un-Canadian? Jejune? Serendipitous? I need to know!!!

I cannot write sometimes. What I was trying to say was that he marketed a product that he thought would sell to the unique fan base that consumed his music. He was as likely as anyone else to be dead wrong, or completely right. I loved FZ for his humanity and his inconsistencies.

Bottom line, he just fucked up with the UM penalty tracks :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:42 pm 

tweezers wrote:
Bottom line, he just fucked up with the UM penalty tracks :lol:

The placement of them anyways. As far as the overdubs and what not that happened in the 80's, I'm inclined to think it was all part of his thought process that everything was one work. The drums and bass were dodgy on the original tapes to his ears, or non-existent depending on who you want believe about the see-through state of the tapes, so adding things to the recordings would not be a big deal to him since it was all part of a continual work anyways. If your thought is that every song on every album could be remixed and re-worked and presented together in a completely different way, which is my understanding of Zappa's thought on his music and the "Project/Object" aspect that is his work, then it was only natural for him to fiddle with everything to unify the catalogue, like adding reverb. Which also justifies the ZFT wishes to stand behind him. Would Zappa change everything back today if he was alive? Who knows. He might mix everything up even more. The added drums in particular to WOIIFTM are annoying, but the uncensored lines and other tinkering he did are pretty great. I'd love another version that updates those changes with the original drum and bass.

That said, I love to hear the original mixes too. So sign me up for a MOUM set with the analogue mix, bonus tracks and the film on a bluray that also includes the original album mix of in lossless.

Then they can do a "Burnt Weasels Ripped My Weenie" set featuring more of that material, a complete concert maybe, or whatever is kicking around to wrap up that period of the Mothers.

I'm in on any of the project/object sets they want to do. :!:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:52 pm 

Stravinsky revised a lot of his music years later too.
Maybe Frank thought: "if Stravinsky did it so will I"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:27 am 

I have no problem that he did it, it is his work. Zappa evolved and he was interested in new technology so I am sure he would have reissued the masters clean in the '90s or whenever he felt the evolution of the CD warranted it.