Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:17 am 

RZZZZZ! wrote:
"A squid eating dough in a polyethene bag is fast a bulbous!...got me?!"

I bought TMR on vinyl (UK Straight) back in 1997 and like you absolutely loved Pachuco Cadaver from the very first listen. I still find the end section quite moving (steady on 'Drum!). The lyrics are gorgeous - "her lovin' sticks out like straws"
Send's a tingle down my spine just thinking about it 8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:43 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Listened 3 times. Never liked it. Don't play it anymore.

Shit, too bad. It only really kicks in on the fourth listen. :P

I listened it again last week. And to think I trusted you!

:lol: Sorry, I was just pulling your leg. It's really the fifth time. Honest. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:25 am 

KUIII wrote:
:lol: Sorry, I was just pulling your leg. It's really the fifth time. Honest. :mrgreen:

Never again. Never!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:54 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Never again. Never!

Stick with "Ella Guru", forget the rest.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:06 am 

Hmmmm... CB as a One-Hit Wonder? Hadn't thought of that before!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:24 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Hmmmm... CB as a One-Hit Wonder? Hadn't thought of that before!

After reading a couple books about CB I would say he took a lot of hits. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:06 am 

Trout Mask Replica is a masterpiece, but I prefer Lick My Decals Off Baby. It's a shame it's out of print on CD.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:43 pm 

That's right, The Mascara Snake, fast 'n bulbous!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:41 pm 

The Cap'n really did invent a whole new style of music with Trout Mask...
but if it wasn't for Bill Harkleroad he couldn't have done it
Apparently Don would come up with doodles and piano plonks and leave Bill to arrange it into something
So thanks to the Cap'n for wielding the stick...but it's really 75% Zoot Horn Rollo

I still think it's an important landmark in the concept of music
But if the girlfriend's around I'll put Moonbeams on...
otherwise it's Clear Spot, which to me is the ultimate expression of the Trout Mask formula

That said, I agree that Moonlight on Vermont is the best song in the history of the Universe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:17 am 

mutronboy wrote:
Apparently Don would come up with doodles and piano plonks and leave Bill to arrange it into something
So thanks to the Cap'n for wielding the stick...but it's really 75% Zoot Horn Rollo

I still think it's an important landmark in the concept of music
But if the girlfriend's around I'll put Moonbeams on...
otherwise it's Clear Spot, which to me is the ultimate expression of the Trout Mask formula

That said, I agree that Moonlight on Vermont is the best song in the history of the Universe

I know what you mean about Moonlight, it's almost too good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:00 am 

I always used to play Trout Mask Replica on the 17th of May, Norway's national day. It was the most alternative thing I could imagine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:35 pm 

mutronboy wrote:

according to wikipedia it was john french:

Van Vliet used a piano—an instrument he had never played before—as his main compositional tool. Since he had no experience with the piano and no conventional musical knowledge at all, he was able to experiment with no preconceived ideas of musical form or structure. Beefheart sat at the piano until he found a rhythmic or melodic pattern that he liked. Mike Barnes compared this approach to John Cage's "maverick irreverence toward classical tradition".[12] John French then transcribed this pattern, typically only a measure or two long, into musical notation. After Beefheart was finished French would then piece these fragments together into compositions, reminiscent of the splicing together of disparate source material on Marker's tape. French decided which part would be played on which instrument and taught each player their part, although Van Vliet had final say over the ultimate shape of the product.

i haven't yet been able to find another source to confirm it.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:04 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
mutronboy wrote:

Van Vliet used a piano—an instrument he had never played before—as his main compositional tool. Since he had no experience with the piano and no conventional musical knowledge at all, he was able to experiment with no preconceived ideas of musical form or structure. Beefheart sat at the piano until he found a rhythmic or melodic pattern that he liked. Mike Barnes compared this approach to John Cage's "maverick irreverence toward classical tradition".[12] John French then transcribed this pattern, typically only a measure or two long, into musical notation. After Beefheart was finished French would then piece these fragments together into compositions, reminiscent of the splicing together of disparate source material on Marker's tape. French decided which part would be played on which instrument and taught each player their part, although Van Vliet had final say over the ultimate shape of the product.

Thanks sleepinginajar, I stand corrected,
I always remembered it as Zoot Horn, but I remembered wrong
I still think Zoot Horn's manic styling contributed a lot to that album tho', heh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:55 pm 

mutronboy wrote:
sleeping in a jar wrote:
mutronboy wrote:

Thanks sleepinginajar, I stand corrected,
I always remembered it as Zoot Horn, but I remembered wrong
I still think Zoot Horn's manic styling contributed a lot to that album tho', heh

Zoot Horn had a similar role on Lick My Decals Off, Baby. Using a tape recorder to take down Don's ideas then arranging and teaching them to the rest of the band.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:58 pm 

The more I listen to it the more I pick up different things. It is such a bizarre and wonderful album. I think that if you understand the album their is something messed up with you...when people say tome they don't get it, I say "good, it means you were brought up properly" lol...the scary thing is I am starting to understand it myself.