Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:58 am
Posts: 690
Location: West Haven Ct
Thinman wrote:
http://www.jpc.de also lists a 2 LP version of Finer Moments: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Frank-Zappa-Finer-Moments/hnum/1937915?lang=en

Th.


bumped to January?

_________________
Bobby


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1023
Location: North German Wasteland
Bobby wrote:

bumped to January?


Vinyl January: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/ ... 15?lang=en
CD December: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/ ... 31?lang=en

_________________
Active forum member since 2005 - R E T I R E D from public forum activity in 2013


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:57 am
Posts: 2992
Location: Topsham, Maine
Thinman wrote:


It's too bad we have to cobble this info together from third-party sources. I often wonder why the ZFT makes everything to secretive and cryptic. I am sure that compels more sales.

_________________
Wanna Buy A Grunt With A Third Party Check
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:58 am
Posts: 690
Location: West Haven Ct
It makes finding the release - discovering what's on there all that much more of a surprise - just like Christmas morning.

_________________
Bobby


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:57 am
Posts: 2992
Location: Topsham, Maine
Bobby wrote:
It makes finding the release - discovering what's on there all that much more of a surprise - just like Christmas morning.


X-mas morning in the Dan Brown household, maybe.

_________________
Wanna Buy A Grunt With A Third Party Check
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:55 pm
Posts: 215
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Bobby wrote:
It makes finding the release - discovering what's on there all that much more of a surprise - just like Christmas morning.


Or gives an appearance that the company releasing them is either ignorant or has contempt for the audience.

Anyways, this, along with Lather has appeared on Amazon.ca for Dec 18th on CD and a January 8th date for Finer Moments on Vinyl.

I'm tempted to bite on the vinyl, but seeing how I have no idea at all as to the source of the material, or what the material it is, I'll probably go with the CD. I prefer to buy digital music in a digital format and analogue music in an analogue format. If the people releasing this set gave that information, I would be able to make an informed decision.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:35 am
Posts: 142
Location: GreyHound Locker
Ruz-El wrote:
Bobby wrote:
I'm tempted to bite on the vinyl, but seeing how I have no idea at all as to the source of the material, or what the material it is, I'll probably go with the CD. I prefer to buy digital music in a digital format and analogue music in an analogue format. If the people releasing this set gave that information, I would be able to make an informed decision.


If it's an early Mother's recording you can be sure it's analog. Hell, if it's from the '88 tour it's probably still an analog recording.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:55 pm
Posts: 215
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
GreenHocher wrote:
Ruz-El wrote:
Bobby wrote:
I'm tempted to bite on the vinyl, but seeing how I have no idea at all as to the source of the material, or what the material it is, I'll probably go with the CD. I prefer to buy digital music in a digital format and analogue music in an analogue format. If the people releasing this set gave that information, I would be able to make an informed decision.


If it's an early Mother's recording you can be sure it's analog. Hell, if it's from the '88 tour it's probably still an analog recording.


I thought the 88 tour was recorded digital. Wasn't everything Digital by 1985?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:35 am
Posts: 142
Location: GreyHound Locker
Could be - no access to my liner notes right now. Anyway, glad to see some new vinyl coming out!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:55 am
Posts: 1161
Ruz-El wrote:

I thought the 88 tour was recorded digital. Wasn't everything Digital by 1985?


My guess is he was joking. Yes, from 1983 onwards all of Zappa's recordings were digital.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 717
Location: Atlanta
Ruz-El wrote:
Bobby wrote:
It makes finding the release - discovering what's on there all that much more of a surprise - just like Christmas morning.


Or gives an appearance that the company releasing them is either ignorant or has contempt for the audience.


I am rarely surprised by the decisions they make anymore. I mean, I have gotten used to having to go everywhere BUT here to get info on actual NEW releases by Zappa. I long ago accepted that they don't like telling people about new material for some insane reason, but...

How the hell did they decide that the last two updates on the official site should be some crappy compilation (Understanding America) and the pyramid scheme(Roxy by Proxy)? No, let's not mention Road Tapes or Finer Moments at all, albums fans might give a shit about. Let's advertise the only two new things we are doing that are likely to incite dismissive or insulting responses. I am beginning to think they are actively trying to piss off their customers to no longer have to be bothered with releasing new stuff at all. I almost prefer that over the more likely case, simle deep stupidity.

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:29 am
Posts: 40
Location: Los Angeles
Thinman wrote:


Yes! There will be a vinyl edition of this title, which I'm really excited about. It's a fun album. I'm actually listening to a test pressing right now as I type. But, it may end up being a feb. release. We want to sonically make it absolutely right, so we are taking the time to do that. It will be worth it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 597
Location: Music City
vaultmeister wrote:
Thinman wrote:


Yes! There will be a vinyl edition of this title, which I'm really excited about. It's a fun album. I'm actually listening to a test pressing right now as I type. But, it may end up being a feb. release. We want to sonically make it absolutely right, so we are taking the time to do that. It will be worth it!


Hey Joe, while you are listening to it, why don't you tell us a little about the album?
(Hey Joe, where are you going with that vinyl in your hand?)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1023
Location: North German Wasteland
vaultmeister wrote:
Thinman wrote:


Yes! There will be a vinyl edition of this title, which I'm really excited about. It's a fun album. I'm actually listening to a test pressing right now as I type. But, it may end up being a feb. release. We want to sonically make it absolutely right, so we are taking the time to do that. It will be worth it!

Hey Joe, thank you for this kind post. It is obviously possible.

And thank me for advertising the vinyl edition of FM for you, including the above supply address ;-)

Th.

_________________
Active forum member since 2005 - R E T I R E D from public forum activity in 2013


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2325
Location: Europe
jaypfunk wrote:
HJ = Hugh Jass

shut the fuck up and stop whining.

Ouch Johnny! Where was it I was whining?

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:33 am
Posts: 154
HJ wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
HJ = Hugh Jass

shut the fuck up and stop whining.

Ouch Johnny! Where was it I was whining?

Don't mind him. He's having his period.

I'm getting more and more interested in buying this, but haven't bought anything through Barfko earlier. Will it be expensive, as I live in Sweden?

_________________
Reading threads about that stupid asshole Isaac M. Baranoff is the funniest part of this forum.
And Trendmonger sucks ass!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1023
Location: North German Wasteland
SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:
… I'm getting more and more interested in buying this, but haven't bought anything through Barfko earlier. Will it be expensive, as I live in Sweden?

Just buy it via www.jpc.de from Germany. Easy and comfortable. I do it all the time.

Th.

_________________
Active forum member since 2005 - R E T I R E D from public forum activity in 2013


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:57 am
Posts: 2992
Location: Topsham, Maine
vaultmeister wrote:
Thinman wrote:


Yes! There will be a vinyl edition of this title, which I'm really excited about. It's a fun album. I'm actually listening to a test pressing right now as I type. But, it may end up being a feb. release. We want to sonically make it absolutely right, so we are taking the time to do that. It will be worth it!


Thank you Joe.
Post more of this kind of info.

_________________
Wanna Buy A Grunt With A Third Party Check
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:51 pm
Posts: 354
vaultmeister wrote:
It will be worth it!

Thanks for that - though... Is there anyone near the Family who might have the possibility to make these fine people to provide real information for the fans about the releases? Just tiny fact-partices, a few words...

Anyone?...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:51 pm
Posts: 241
Location: Austin, TX (wherever I am)
vaultmeister wrote:
Yes! There will be a vinyl edition of this title, which I'm really excited about. It's a fun album. I'm actually listening to a test pressing right now as I type. But, it may end up being a feb. release. We want to sonically make it absolutely right, so we are taking the time to do that. It will be worth it!


Good news! Thanks, Joe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:44 pm
Posts: 1466
Location: An air base in Central Europe
Since this seems to be a release thru UME, I keep my fingers crossed that it's gonna come in a regular slimline case, so I can refold the booklet and can get rid of this horrible, horrible front cover artwork. Can't figure buying this ugliness in 12" x 12" LP format -- kind of sad for a potentially great album like this --
Hey Joe, while you're here -- come on, draw the next one yourself, have a little faith! Just do the tape boxes in crayon and ink, or something ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 3:55 am
Posts: 193
vaultmeister wrote:
Thinman wrote:


Yes! There will be a vinyl edition of this title, which I'm really excited about. It's a fun album. I'm actually listening to a test pressing right now as I type. But, it may end up being a feb. release. We want to sonically make it absolutely right, so we are taking the time to do that. It will be worth it!


Thanks Joe. It's a shame you aren't at liberty to say more about the content of the release/that of new releases in general, but that mystery has it's own charm, I suppose... looking forward to hearing, and, ultimately, seeing for myself, what this one's all about! 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 601
Location: Sydney, Australia
BloodSugar00 wrote:

Thanks Joe. It's a shame you aren't at liberty to say more about the content of the release/that of new releases in general, but that mystery has it's own charm, I suppose... looking forward to hearing, and, ultimately, seeing for myself, what this one's all about! 8)


Yeah, it would be handy to have some sort of idea on the content
If it's largely spoken word then people might get cheesed off.
That's what happened when I forked out $60 for Playground Psychotics
I really only wanna listen to the spoken word stuff once, it's the music that bears repeated listenings


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 3:55 am
Posts: 193
mutronboy wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:

Thanks Joe. It's a shame you aren't at liberty to say more about the content of the release/that of new releases in general, but that mystery has it's own charm, I suppose... looking forward to hearing, and, ultimately, seeing for myself, what this one's all about! 8)


Yeah, it would be handy to have some sort of idea on the content
If it's largely spoken word then people might get cheesed off.
That's what happened when I forked out $60 for Playground Psychotics
I really only wanna listen to the spoken word stuff once, it's the music that bears repeated listenings


Fair point (I didn't consider that when posting above comment).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 pm
Posts: 549
Location: ger-money
Thinman wrote:
SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:
… I'm getting more and more interested in buying this, but haven't bought anything through Barfko earlier. Will it be expensive, as I live in Sweden?

Just buy it via http://www.jpc.de from Germany. Easy and comfortable. I do it all the time.

Th.

Another forum member gave me (and all other european citizens of course :wink: ) the hint to buy here: http://www.wowhd.de/search?q=frank+zappa&sort=relevance&page=1 I didn't try it since but lots of the single CDs cost 9,99€, most doubles 16,99€. If anyone has experiences with this distributor, please report.
Incidentally: Läther and finer moments ready for preordering:
http://www.wowhd.de/CD/frank-zappa-finer-moments/dp/31962173
http://www.wowhd.de/CD/frank-zappa-lather/dp/31920859

_________________
god, what a cheap bubble machine!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group