Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:59 am 

Thinman wrote:
http://www.jpc.de also lists a 2 LP version of Finer Moments: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Frank-Zappa-Finer-Moments/hnum/1937915?lang=en

Th.

bumped to January?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:04 am 

Bobby wrote:

bumped to January?

Vinyl January: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/ ... 15?lang=en
CD December: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/ ... 31?lang=en

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:23 am 

Thinman wrote:

It's too bad we have to cobble this info together from third-party sources. I often wonder why the ZFT makes everything to secretive and cryptic. I am sure that compels more sales.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:26 am 

It makes finding the release - discovering what's on there all that much more of a surprise - just like Christmas morning.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:29 am 

Bobby wrote:
It makes finding the release - discovering what's on there all that much more of a surprise - just like Christmas morning.

X-mas morning in the Dan Brown household, maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:50 am 

Bobby wrote:

Or gives an appearance that the company releasing them is either ignorant or has contempt for the audience.

Anyways, this, along with Lather has appeared on Amazon.ca for Dec 18th on CD and a January 8th date for Finer Moments on Vinyl.

I'm tempted to bite on the vinyl, but seeing how I have no idea at all as to the source of the material, or what the material it is, I'll probably go with the CD. I prefer to buy digital music in a digital format and analogue music in an analogue format. If the people releasing this set gave that information, I would be able to make an informed decision.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:14 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:
Bobby wrote:
I'm tempted to bite on the vinyl, but seeing how I have no idea at all as to the source of the material, or what the material it is, I'll probably go with the CD. I prefer to buy digital music in a digital format and analogue music in an analogue format. If the people releasing this set gave that information, I would be able to make an informed decision.

If it's an early Mother's recording you can be sure it's analog. Hell, if it's from the '88 tour it's probably still an analog recording.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:22 pm 

GreenHocher wrote:
Ruz-El wrote:
Bobby wrote:

If it's an early Mother's recording you can be sure it's analog. Hell, if it's from the '88 tour it's probably still an analog recording.

I thought the 88 tour was recorded digital. Wasn't everything Digital by 1985?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:45 pm 

Could be - no access to my liner notes right now. Anyway, glad to see some new vinyl coming out!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:26 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:

I thought the 88 tour was recorded digital. Wasn't everything Digital by 1985?

My guess is he was joking. Yes, from 1983 onwards all of Zappa's recordings were digital.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:13 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:
Bobby wrote:

Or gives an appearance that the company releasing them is either ignorant or has contempt for the audience.

I am rarely surprised by the decisions they make anymore. I mean, I have gotten used to having to go everywhere BUT here to get info on actual NEW releases by Zappa. I long ago accepted that they don't like telling people about new material for some insane reason, but...

How the hell did they decide that the last two updates on the official site should be some crappy compilation (Understanding America) and the pyramid scheme(Roxy by Proxy)? No, let's not mention Road Tapes or Finer Moments at all, albums fans might give a shit about. Let's advertise the only two new things we are doing that are likely to incite dismissive or insulting responses. I am beginning to think they are actively trying to piss off their customers to no longer have to be bothered with releasing new stuff at all. I almost prefer that over the more likely case, simle deep stupidity.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:42 pm 

Thinman wrote:

Yes! There will be a vinyl edition of this title, which I'm really excited about. It's a fun album. I'm actually listening to a test pressing right now as I type. But, it may end up being a feb. release. We want to sonically make it absolutely right, so we are taking the time to do that. It will be worth it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:28 am 

vaultmeister wrote:
Thinman wrote:

Yes! There will be a vinyl edition of this title, which I'm really excited about. It's a fun album. I'm actually listening to a test pressing right now as I type. But, it may end up being a feb. release. We want to sonically make it absolutely right, so we are taking the time to do that. It will be worth it!

Hey Joe, while you are listening to it, why don't you tell us a little about the album?
(Hey Joe, where are you going with that vinyl in your hand?)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:39 am 

vaultmeister wrote:
Thinman wrote:

Hey Joe, thank you for this kind post. It is obviously possible.

And thank me for advertising the vinyl edition of FM for you, including the above supply address ;-)

Th.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:11 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
HJ = Hugh Jass

shut the fuck up and stop whining.

Ouch Johnny! Where was it I was whining?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:42 am 

HJ wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
HJ = Hugh Jass

shut the fuck up and stop whining.

Ouch Johnny! Where was it I was whining?

Don't mind him. He's having his period.

I'm getting more and more interested in buying this, but haven't bought anything through Barfko earlier. Will it be expensive, as I live in Sweden?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:36 am 

SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:
… I'm getting more and more interested in buying this, but haven't bought anything through Barfko earlier. Will it be expensive, as I live in Sweden?

Just buy it via www.jpc.de from Germany. Easy and comfortable. I do it all the time.

Th.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:10 am 

vaultmeister wrote:
Thinman wrote:

Thank you Joe.
Post more of this kind of info.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:38 am 

vaultmeister wrote:
It will be worth it!

Thanks for that - though... Is there anyone near the Family who might have the possibility to make these fine people to provide real information for the fans about the releases? Just tiny fact-partices, a few words...

Anyone?...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:45 pm 

vaultmeister wrote:

Good news! Thanks, Joe.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:07 pm 

Since this seems to be a release thru UME, I keep my fingers crossed that it's gonna come in a regular slimline case, so I can refold the booklet and can get rid of this horrible, horrible front cover artwork. Can't figure buying this ugliness in 12" x 12" LP format -- kind of sad for a potentially great album like this --
Hey Joe, while you're here -- come on, draw the next one yourself, have a little faith! Just do the tape boxes in crayon and ink, or something ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:57 pm 

vaultmeister wrote:
Thinman wrote:

Thanks Joe. It's a shame you aren't at liberty to say more about the content of the release/that of new releases in general, but that mystery has it's own charm, I suppose... looking forward to hearing, and, ultimately, seeing for myself, what this one's all about! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:40 pm 

BloodSugar00 wrote:

Thanks Joe. It's a shame you aren't at liberty to say more about the content of the release/that of new releases in general, but that mystery has it's own charm, I suppose... looking forward to hearing, and, ultimately, seeing for myself, what this one's all about! 8)

Yeah, it would be handy to have some sort of idea on the content
If it's largely spoken word then people might get cheesed off.
That's what happened when I forked out $60 for Playground Psychotics
I really only wanna listen to the spoken word stuff once, it's the music that bears repeated listenings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:50 pm 

mutronboy wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:

Yeah, it would be handy to have some sort of idea on the content
If it's largely spoken word then people might get cheesed off.
That's what happened when I forked out $60 for Playground Psychotics
I really only wanna listen to the spoken word stuff once, it's the music that bears repeated listenings

Fair point (I didn't consider that when posting above comment).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:36 am 

Thinman wrote:
SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:
… I'm getting more and more interested in buying this, but haven't bought anything through Barfko earlier. Will it be expensive, as I live in Sweden?

Just buy it via http://www.jpc.de from Germany. Easy and comfortable. I do it all the time.

Th.

Another forum member gave me (and all other european citizens of course :wink: ) the hint to buy here: http://www.wowhd.de/search?q=frank+zappa&sort=relevance&page=1 I didn't try it since but lots of the single CDs cost 9,99€, most doubles 16,99€. If anyone has experiences with this distributor, please report.
Incidentally: Läther and finer moments ready for preordering:
http://www.wowhd.de/CD/frank-zappa-finer-moments/dp/31962173
http://www.wowhd.de/CD/frank-zappa-lather/dp/31920859

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next