Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:35 am 

I was ....touched when I read what you had written Downer.....and so was my keyboard...with coffee.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:35 am 

No, downer, you should take advice from someone that tells you how you should respond when reading your own writing, especially when that someone says you shouldbe touched.

If you don't respond emotionally to your own work, there's a good chance that no other reader will either. If you read your own work, and do not respond emotionally, it probably sucks and needs a rewrite.

I know you're just being a smart ass, and trying to make this thread all about me, which is a common reaction from people that read what I have written.

It's normal. I'm used to it. I create these reactions in people. I've been doing it since I was just a little punk. Now I'm a big punk. Don't worry about it.

It really is all about me...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:48 am 

Well...... I can't say your wrong. If you're on this site, and know a thing or two about all the arts, I'm pretty sure for every author, musician, film-maker I know, there are at least a hundred-thousand who have tried and failed in their attempts to bring their art to the public.
Let me say I wrote my book on a whim; somebody said something, and I got a bug up my ass to make it.
During the past four years, and countless rejection notices, I was pointed in the direction of CreateSpace & Smashwords to have the book self-published. I wouldn't have gone this far if I didn't feel strongly about what I had done. And, while I've tried and failed and all my other artistic attempts, I had a 'now or never' attitude when it came to this book.

Yes, good stuff makes me jealous, too. But the two things that made me actually work on this was:
- Author Michelle Jaffe was sitting in my wife's salon chair, and she was ranting about how awful she thought "The DiVinci Code" was. She said, "Anybody can make this crap! Even YOU!" Sure, she may have been saying this out of spite or jealously, but I got a small spurt of confidence.
- When I saw that episode of "Family Guy" when Stewy was chiding Brian about his novel, and his voice got higher and higher, asking him how it going.

So, yes, I am a nobody, and perhaps I'm a little naive when I think of strangers on the internet, taking an interest in something I've created. But still, someone I don't know reading something I've written, and saying, "That was pretty good.", seems like success to me. (This happened last week, in the chat room of "Kevin Pollak's Chat Show")

"The Enigma Of David's Toe" by Vincent Cannata is now available in paperback & for Kindle here:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Enigma-Davids ... B00963VYNY

It can also be purchased for Nook here:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-eni ... 1112803717
and, other e-books here:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/229541

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:26 am 

Well said, you should be a writter... :mrgreen:

:smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:40 am 

If it wasn't for certain people, mostly teachers, I never would have written much, either.

I can't discount the value of the muse in my life. If it wasn't for this elegant woman, I know I would not have put much on paper. In a way, everything is for her, for her amusement and evaluation.

I don't know about self-publishing, or whether it is for me. Just printing it out and putting it in a loose-leaf binder works for me.

I think I'll try to check your book out, vince_de_wilde...I'll bet it's pretty good, maybe great. Of course, various examples of my creations are scattered about this forum, if you want to check them out. I tend to give my writing away to people I like, or people that I have something in common with, such as a love for Frank Zappa.

Adieu!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:42 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
... trying to make this thread all about me ...
You are truly hilarious, you don't need any help doing this, you came wading into this thread and made it all about yourself right from the off.
A rope leash wrote:
... a common reaction from people that read what I have written. It's normal. I'm used to it. I create these reactions in people. I've been doing it since I was just a little punk. Now I'm a big punk. Don't worry about it.
Wow, you really have tickets on yourself don't you?
A rope leash wrote:
It really is all about me...
... in your mind ... you and Nietsche, a similarly self obsessed and paranoid individual (paranoid in the sense of delusions of grandeur) ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:26 am 

Here's my SPACEBROTHER-type paranoia...YOU are also phydeux III!

What? Me transfer guilt to downer mydnite?! NEVER!

Do a little, research, though, phy...thread after thread where I have posted I have soon after become the subject. That's because people can't separate the writing or the writing content from the writer. Some people think that a writer is exactly what he writes, when in fact, the writer is just a person that writes something. All of what I write could be one-hundred-eighty degrees away from what I actually think. Surely you know this, but you insist on calling me out because I portend to truly like myself.

Of course I have delusions of grandeur. Have you EVER tried to write something larger than a forum post? It is absolutely essential that negativity as to your worth be put aside, or at the very least, masked.

So, poly-phy...when YOU post something lengthy and creative, I will give you a tip of my invisible hat, for only then will I know that you understand what a writer goes through.

...and thanks for comparing me to Nietsche. Yep, I'm right in there with the great philosophers of all time, reviled and despised in my own time.

Just like Frank!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:42 am 

A rope leash wrote:
No, downer, you should take advice from someone that tells you how you should respond when reading your own writing, especially when that someone says you should be touched.

You should simply be stimulated and hope it touches others.
Good writing never preaches. Do I need to quote Henry Miller?

A rope leash wrote:
I know you're just being a smart ass, and trying to make this thread all about me, which is a common reaction from people that read what I have written.

I was being totally sincere. I was not trying to make the thread all about you. I was disagreeing with your statement about being deeply touched by your own writing. I think you should be more objective and less narcissistic. By narcissistic I mean an overwhelming self focus in your interpersonal exchanges.

A rope leash wrote:
It really is all about me

That's what cheapens it.

A rope leash wrote:
It is absolutely essential that negativity as to your worth be put aside, or at the very least, masked.

That's bullshit. There are no rules. Must I quote Henry Miller?

vince_de_wild wrote:
good stuff makes me jealous

Good stuff never makes me jealous. It inspires me. Jealousy is for those who can't and wish they could.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:34 pm 

Go ahead and quote Henry Miller.

You've quoted me enough.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:40 pm 

A rope leash wrote:

You've quoted me enough.

That's a good quote... :mrgreen:

:smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:36 pm 

A rope leash wrote:

"As I look back on my life it seems to me that I never did anything of my own volition but always through the pressure of others."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:09 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
Here's my SPACEBROTHER-type paranoia...YOU are also phydeux III!

Oopsie - FAIL!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:15 pm 

That's a good quote. I brings to mind the old insinuation that a "real" writer must write, or is compelled to write. In my mind, most writers do write because of some outside pressure, or deadline. Thus, the work cannot be assumed to be truly inspired, which is the case with a lot of published work...the author is given an advance and a deadline, and the pressure is on.

I like to think that my writing is usually done through true inspiration. I don't have to write, I write because I want to, and because I want to impress the muse. That's a lot different than writing to pay the utility bill.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:18 pm 

Well, phydeux...it's just that you and polydigm don't really care for my posts and I think that you are both Australian, so going by SPACEBROTHER's reasoning you guys are one and the same.

Either that, or Australians have no sense of smug sarcasm or ironic humor.

:P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:37 pm 

Ironically enough that's a pretty smug and sarcastic looking bird.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:18 am 

WRITER A writer is a person who produces nonfictional writing or literary art such as novels, short stories, poetry, plays, screenplays, or essays—especially someone who writes professionally.

Skilled writers are able to use language to express ideas and images. A writer's work may contribute significantly to the cultural content of a society.[1]

The term writer is customarily used as a synonym of author, although the latter term has a somewhat broader meaning

wiki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:23 am 

any zappa references in the book ¿

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:02 am 

I think vince said the book has a reference to this forum, specifically.

Yeah that's a smart-ass bird alright. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:26 am 

Yes.... that's true. I started writing it around the time the first "Joe's" came out!

In fact, you can find the reference on Page 11, here:
http://www.smashwords.com/extreader/rea ... davids-toe

Feel free to read more, if you like!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:49 am 

This thread sure got quiet after I put up a sample..... What happened?

"The Enigma Of David's Toe" by Vincent Cannata is now available in paperback & for Kindle here:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Enigma-Davids ... f=pd_ybh_1

It can also be purchased for Nook here:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-eni ... 1112803717
and, other e-books here:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/229541

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:05 pm 

What happened to all the fun in the world?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:39 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
What happened to all the fun in the world?

Political Correctness killed it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:38 am 

Another positive review:

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start for a new author March 3, 2013
By Chris Combs
Format:Paperback|Amazon Verified Purchase
Vincent Cannata's first novel delves into Renaissance art history and politics, and marries them to modern-day punk aesthetics and conspiracy theories. The action flows well, making for a quick read but it can also make you stop and think a bit about what influence art has on each of us.

It is not perfect, and it does have that intangible feel of a first novel. But it is so close to being right, and was such an enjoyable read, that I will not hesitate to pick up his second book, if and when it comes around.

Anyone else here that thought the book was good, please let me know!

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:20 pm 

Congrats! I have picked it, but I didn't read it yet, I will let you know what I thought...

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:33 pm 

Just bumpin' this up to see if anybody liked it!