Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2945 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 118  Next
 Post subject: Re: Plook on Tour
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:15 pm 

Don't eat any yellow snow, until after the show.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:34 am 

Had a great time at the show and of course the Band was excellent, met up with PIB and TPB (and his lovely Girlfriend) and other cool Zappa fans, I didn't get in until one in the morning and I have to run to the airport...flying to Dallas, I will update everyone later.

:smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:33 am 

Plook wrote:
Had a great time at the show and of course the Band was excellent, met up with PIB and TPB (and his lovely Girlfriend) and other cool Zappa fans, I didn't get in until one in the morning and I have to run to the airport...flying to Dallas, I will update everyone later.

Quite an adventurous life you lead there, Plook. But then again, you are TMIMITW. :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:45 pm 

Thats right KU... :mrgreen:

I’m safe in Dallas and double dog tired, the show ended after 11:00pm and I skedaddled right quick (PIB & TPB I apologize but I had to jam). Well it was a good hour and fifteen minute drive and I probably fell asleep about 1:00 am, had to get up at 6:00am to be sure I was at the airport at 8:00am.

That part was easy, what got me is the Barrymore is an old movie theater which is built using an incline slope (verses a step slope), 99% of everyone on the 1st floor stood for the entire show over 3 hours on a incline and the wait in line added up to some aching feet! I’ll get over it…

Well you asked for my review, well here it is:

1 Treacherous Cretins –

Phenomenal opener played spot on excellent performance!

2 Hungry Freaks, Daddy! –

Some sound issues that thru off their timing but still good.

3 Teenage Prostitute –

The variety show aspect to how they introduced this song really reminded me of Franks shows, they were always more than concerts. Also the over the top performances really gave it that comical feel and Scheila’s opera voice not only added to the over all “Just plain foolishness” of it all, but just showed another lair of talent of this Woman (I have said for a long time, she is worth the price of admission herself)

4 Echidna's Arf
5 Penguin In Bondage - SEGUE
6 Pygmy Twylyte - Ben SUNRISE - SCHEILA solo – SEGUE-

What ever sound issues they were having all but disappeared for this trio of songs, they showed they are the tightest band playing the toughest music hands down all comers, and holy shit Chris is picking up almost all the duties for not having a percussionist along with Ben and Scheila, they are very busy people during theses songs. Also Ben turns out to be a pretty good trombone and Trumpet player (he’s always doing something, I love it that type of dedication and all in attitude is what breads success.)

7 Idiot Bastard Son – SEGUE –

This was played and performed well.

8 I'm So Cute - SEGUE
9 Baby Snakes
10 Tryin' To Grow A Chin

This trio rocked and Chris performed ISC as it should be, over the top. His keyboard sound is very Tommy Marrs sounding which I love. These songs are right in my wheel house and I give 10 Plooks.

11 Harder Than Your Husband - SEGUE
12 Win Up Workin' In A Gas Station - SEGUE
13 Ride My Face To Chicago –

This trio was a good exit to the intermission, they always perform RMFTC excellently, very high energy.

You know we don’t get intermissions in California, is that a west coast thing…no breaks….and what ever happened to the matinee, us old folks would be all over that…lol…

14 Eat That Question-

Freaking awesome totally had the Grand Wazoo thing going 10 Plooks

15 Motherly Love

Very well done, totally had the sixties sound and from what I understand that is not easy to reproduce.

16 Oh No
17 Let's Make The Water Turn Black-

These were performed well, I have seen them done many times by many musicians.

18 Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance –

This song was done very well, with a reggae twist and Ben’s lyric was some where in the Rap/rhythmic neighborhood and I liked it. I wasn’t fully on board when I first saw him on the first tour, but he has morphed into a strong front man and he owns it, sometimes all it takes is confidence or arrogance to make you the best (I think he could now pass Franks audition).

19 Outside Now
20 Cosmik Debris-

What can I say, just awesome! (Major sing along)

21 Debra Kadabra –

Again we had that super cool spontaneous Frankish thing going, the roady sings the song great and this band is a well oiled machine like Franks they can stop a song on a dime and DZ says lets go back to that certain part and start playing again so this shanker chic can do her nasty dance on stage and bam they just pick up like someone hit a light switch, simply amazing (that chic wanted to bed DZ and he was having none of it)

22 Who Are The Brain Police?-

Where did they find this new bass player, he seems like a fish in water up there, I’m impressed.

24 Packard Goose-

Wow one of my all time favorites and it was sooo good 10 Plooks. (Schiela is Mary and DZ is Frank on this one)

25 Whippin' Post-

Sweat Jesus can Chris sing the shit out of this song. (hope he doesn’t go solo, he really has become a part of the machine)

26 Zomby Woof - Joe Guzzo-

I don’t know Joe but the guitar play with DZ was reminiscent of DZ and Steve Via on the first tour, top shelf.

27 Strictly Genteel-

How often do you get to see a 6 piece Rock Band perform as a complete Orchestra, fucking amazing, hey I’m a simple man I like to rock, I like to dance, I still enjoy top forty music, this nearly brought some tears to my eyes (although that could have been from all the recreational bush burning that seemed to be going on in there)…

This performance on this song was something at a level that says expert. Scheila and Ben were just going through instruments like someone goes through tissues when they have a runny nose. Chris was playing about 5 or 6 different keyboards, Kurt was holding the beat and Joe was really into it…everyone seemed challenged even DZ and they were concentrating like hell.

Well that’s about it kids, its past my bed time…good night Austin Texas wherever you are… :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:38 pm 

Ten plooks, my God!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:22 pm 

A Rolling Stone worthy review, good work....Where is the real Plook, and what have you done with him?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:43 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
A Rolling Stone worthy review, good work....Where is the real Plook, and what have you done with him?

Thank you Gray, I have been working on my spelling...lol...I've been told I'm like an onion you pull back a lair and there is yet another and I can make your eyes water...lol

Well I get that hell out of Wisconsin avoid snow and low and behold it snows in Dallas over night and it is down right cold.

Hopefully it warms up a little… :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:23 pm 

Plook wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

Thank you Gray, I have been working on my spelling...lol...I've been told I'm like an onion you pull back a lair and there is yet another and I can make your eyes water...lol

Well I get that hell out of Wisconsin avoid snow and low and behold it snows in Dallas over night and it is down right cold.

+1 with a comment to be taken in the bestest way,ya know? If not stop here.Like you could...anyway,I rate the review:
Almost a fist full of plooks,but not quite.It lacks Plookisms.I'd give it to the full,rinsed out blonde mountie on my right to plook,but the tori spelling lacked those special "Plookisms" with no aron spelling to make them zippy and somehow cosmicly connected together.Still,I give it a 8 1/2 plooks fer sure,fir sure.
If your gonna start anew career,lettuce snow bro'. It was startiling clear.I guess the DZpZ show cleared your head.Thanks for the review Plook and I'm glad you guys all had a great time!!! 8) :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:03 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

+1 with a comment to be taken in the bestest way,ya know? If not stop here.Like you could...anyway,I rate the review:
Almost a fist full of plooks,but not quite.It lacks Plookisms.I'd give it to the full,rinsed out blonde mountie on my right to plook,but the tori spelling lacked those special "Plookisms" with no aron spelling to make them zippy and somehow cosmicly connected together.Still,I give it a 8 1/2 plooks fer sure,fir sure.
If your gonna start anew career,lettuce snow bro'. It was startiling clear.I guess the DZpZ show cleared your head.Thanks for the review Plook and I'm glad you guys all had a great time!!! 8) :D

Wish I was there... 10 Plooks....amazing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:44 am 

Thanks again guys and Kapt. I'll take 8 1/2 Plooks anytime I can get them... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:47 am 

Thanks for the review, Plook.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:40 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
A Rolling Stone worthy review

Ouch.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
A Rolling Stone worthy review

Ouch.

Very nice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:16 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Ouch.

How do you know - were you there?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:19 pm 

Well last night I ate at a Greek restaurant in Frisco Texas called Platia, it was excellent, definitely a go to restaurant in the future. I had Brizola (Flame broiled skirt meat, delicious), Yigandis (giant beans oven baked in Tomato, garlic, & onion.), and Fasolakia (green beans simmered in tomato sauce). I give this restaurant 9 Plooks!!!

I traveled all around Dallas today wrapped up my Quality Audits and I moved to the Hotel in Fort Worth near the airport and I fly home tomorrow, thank God…Mrs.Plook had been in good spirits but she saw the doctor yesterday and she has the blues, that just kills me…it just isn’t her and it is so sad.

Well I will keep everyone posted… :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:23 am 

Headed home, talk to ya later... :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:33 am 

Made it home fine it was great to see Mrs.Plook, got a call from KU and Kapt.Kiirk last night when I was sleeping, they got yogether in Davis and having some suds at a Brew House...I am sure the potential for some enforced recreation was in order... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:12 pm 

Plook wrote:
Made it home fine it was great to see Mrs.Plook, got a call from KU and Kapt.Kiirk last night when I was sleeping, they got yogether in Davis and having some suds at a Brew House...I am sure the potential for some enforced recreation was in order... :smoke:

Yep,and were gonna get yogether in Davis again tonight.But no one's gonna force us to recreate,it just comes naturaly to us. {-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:23 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:

Yep,and were gonna get yogether in Davis again tonight.But no one's gonna force us to recreate,it just comes naturaly to us. {-

Just be careful you don't drink to much and try to procreate... :mrgreen:

Zzziiinnnggg... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:37 pm 

Plook wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:

Just be careful you don't drink to much and try to procreate... :mrgreen:

Zzziiinnnggg... :smoke:

The hospitality offered by KK and his roommate was very civil, conservative, and much appreciated by this road weary farm boy. Thanks for the fajitas!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:23 am 

Yes the Kapt is good people...glad you guys had a good time... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:50 am 

KUIII wrote:
The hospitality offered by KK and his roommate was very civil, conservative, and much appreciated by this road weary farm boy.

So formal dress with canapés and prosecco, discussing Proust on the balcony, then?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:38 pm 

Caputh wrote:
KUIII wrote:
The hospitality offered by KK and his roommate was very civil, conservative, and much appreciated by this road weary farm boy.

So formal dress with canapés and prosecco, discussing Proust on the balcony, then?

Proust? T.S.Elliot is more intune to my Irish ears! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:16 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Caputh wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Proust? T.S.Elliot is more intune to my Irish ears! :wink:

More like Penthouse on the balcony... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:09 pm 

Well it has been an eventful couple of days at the Plook residence, I'm on a two week vacation and have only worked a couple hours the last two days...lol... :lol:

Mrs.Plook cut off her beautiful long hair in anticipation of it all falling out due to chemo (I may have to shave my head, I am thinking about it...so long Movie Star hair if I take that route)... :shock:

The Daughter Plook the Elder won a the most prestigious award that they offer at Long Beach State University, she gets a fair bit of money and her name gets etched in the Legacy Wall, it was the first time in the schools history that it was a unanimous vote. By the way she says DB is full of shit…lol… :wink:

I have had a productive two days I rented a U-Haul and cleaned out my storage and my garage and went to the dump and disposed of 700 pounds of crap…it feels good!... :!:

My boss called and apologized but let me know he nominated me for an award for my work with getting the company Tier 1 certified with AT&T and it was approved and I get a pretty dam good cash prize with it ( I can buy three Roxy distribution rites if that helps you calculate)... 8)

Well at least if the world ends tomorrow I will go out with a smile on my face and a clean garage… :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2945 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 118  Next