Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:49 pm 

VacuumCleaner wrote:
thenoisydrum wrote:
Every single release except your particular copy......
No, my original US release has the German text but the UK Verve select from '72 probably scrimped on the detail to save cost. Is your issue in a gatefold sleeve?

No gatefold, with just the tracklist on the back. And since it's the only version I had so far, I was wondering about the German text on the CD :lol:

Darn foreign pressings. I checked on-line and found at least 8 different back covers!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:17 pm 

ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote:
I got my copy of the new (European) Läther today. I can confirm it's a digipak, and it doesn't have any bonus tracks on it (ends with Greggery Peccary). I like the new cover, but unfortunately the packaging itself isn't too great. The discs are not easy to remove from their sleeves at all and the cardboard feels flimsy. I'd have preferred a jewel case to be honest (to go with the other reissues).

BTW, the source is the 1996 digital master. Sounds the same as the Ryko to my ears.

Thanks for info...in light of that I'm also opting to pass on this reissue.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:22 pm 

dlokazip wrote:
madcow1515 wrote:
Odd decision, dumping the bonus tracks, particularly when they held on to the universally reviled Uncle Meat extras. I'm curious what the reasoning there is. Kind of reminds me of when the David Bowie catalog got reissued as bare bones editions without all of the bonus tracks from the Ryko editions.

The Uncle Meat extras, mixing, and sequencing was Frank's decision. The Läther bonus tracks were decided on by the ZFT. I'm sure the ZFT had an easy time reversing themselves.

My hope is that they incorporate "Leather Goods" and "Revenge Of The Knick Knack People" into a different release. I guess we will see.

Probably saved the bonus tracks for some kind of "Project/Object" release in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:33 pm 

ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote:
I got my copy of the new (European) Läther today. I can confirm it's a digipak, and it doesn't have any bonus tracks on it (ends with Greggery Peccary). I like the new cover, but unfortunately the packaging itself isn't too great. The discs are not easy to remove from their sleeves at all and the cardboard feels flimsy. I'd have preferred a jewel case to be honest (to go with the other reissues).

BTW, the source is the 1996 digital master. Sounds the same as the Ryko to my ears.

Thanks for the info. I prefer Digipaks and never cared for the extra material on this one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:32 pm 

BloodSugar00 wrote:
ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote:

Thanks for info...in light of that I'm also opting to pass on this reissue.

Pre-order cancelled!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:01 pm 

are the glitches on tinsel town rebellion (hios-version) still there?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:20 pm 

k.vee wrote:
are the glitches on tinsel town rebellion (hios-version) still there?

I read somewhere that they have been fixed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:35 am 

S,o Amazon UK has dispatched Läther and Finer Moments. May arrive before x-mas. :)

And "Läther" is now presented with a new cover (again from same photo sesion):

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:31 am 

BloodSugar00 wrote:
Tyronehell wrote:
Sainsbury entertainment are selling Lather online for £8.99
http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.u ... =E11173078

Also they are selling Finer Moments at the same price. That's my order with amazon cancelled.
http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.u ... =E11173077

Thanks for share; excellent deals. 8)

EDIT: Shipping speed is pretty poor- dispatch within 6 working days with a then 3-5 working day delivery time frame- but Amazon won't price match so I'm still mulling this one over (in terms of where to order from). Good resource to have in repertoire for future though (already ordered a presumably E
U Grand Wazoo reissue from there). :D

Amazon have also sharply shipped my Finer Moments pre-order, so looks like decision's been made for me. :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:54 am 

pbuzby wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Ahead-Their-Time- ... their+time

I guess someone messed up and scanned one of the inner panels rather than the cover.

Unless that IS the cover... who can tell anymore?!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:17 pm 

Amazon is a great seller but it has elements of wiki in it. Trusted customers can provide images for items being sold. The original AOTT cover is back on Amazon. That whipped cream picture for Läther is not on CD Universe. So we won't know until someone actually physically gets one ... hmm ... now where have I heard that before? ...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:12 am 

Lather is now on Spotify but i have not had a chance to listen yet as i am too busy listening to Finer Moments on there :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:16 am 

Lather is on the way, from across the pond!
I didn't want to chance a bad pressing debacle on this one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:37 am 

BloodSugar00 wrote:
Tyronehell wrote:

Also they are selling Finer Moments at the same price. That's my order with amazon cancelled.
Good resource to have in repertoire for future though (already ordered a presumably E

Got this this morning/next day after dispatch; this vendor is higher up in my consideration remit now. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:46 am 

BloodSugar00 wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:
Tyronehell wrote:

Good resource to have in repertoire for future though (already ordered a presumably E

Got this this morning/next day after dispatch; this vendor is higher up in my consideration remit now. 8)

I'm still waiting on mine and they are not even dispatched yet and I ordered them as soon as I seen them listed for £8.99 :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:47 am 

Tyronehell wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:

I'm still waiting on mine and they are not even dispatched yet and I ordered them as soon as I seen them listed for £8.99 :cry:

Not sure if you understood above, but the item I received was a copy of the Grand Wazoo remaster, so it could easily be a different scenario for the two, then, pre-order items (I actually opted to cancel both those same pre-orders I made as a result of your tip, as Lather was reported the same master as the previous Ryko edition- without the bonus tracks to boot, of course-, and my Amazon pre-order of Finer Moments shipped on Saturday- a few days prior to the formal release date- whilst I was still mulling over which vendor to commit to). Also, perhaps I just struck lucky in having my order dispatched so early into the 6 working day advised window on this occasion.

Either way, this experience is enough for me to consider them as a more serious option for future orders, and I hope you receive your pre-orders soon. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:18 am 

all of the Best Buys near me didn't get any of today's CDs. CUNTS!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:52 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
all of the Best Buys near me didn't get any of today's CDs. CUNTS!!

I'm hoping my HMV has these in stock when I go there later in the week, but it's not likely. they seem to get them at least a week late. I'm still hoping to see "Mothermania" and "Understanding America" on Canadian shelves.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:45 pm 

Ummm....

This may sound strange,but....

Does anyone have a list of all the latest titles released in November and December 2012? My local stores are all a bit "stand-off-ish" in stocking ALL of 'em(they've only stocked 3 or 4 of each series). Plus when you search Amazon and other sites you get different results depending on how you search(ie, "zappa 2012", "zappa 2012 remasters",etc)....and ,damn it...., (ha!) I just don't want to miss something.

So,I see Laether has a different cover,Lost Episodes has re-written liners,I got Finer Moments,.......and last of all ,is "Understanding America" any kind of interesting listen to an old ,jaded Zappa freak like me? I'm wondering.

Oh,also why is the cartoon inside the Mystery Disc "censored" as far as one cartoon character's face being "block out" with a black bar? Anyone know?

Thanks for any help......

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:39 pm 

penguini wrote:
Ummm....

Does anyone have a list of all the latest titles released in November and December 2012? My local stores are all a bit "stand-off-ish" in stocking ALL of 'em(they've only stocked 3 or 4 of each series). Plus when you search Amazon and other sites you get different results depending on how you search(ie, "zappa 2012", "zappa 2012 remasters",etc)....and ,damn it...., (ha!) I just don't want to miss something.

So,I see Laether has a different cover,Lost Episodes has re-written liners,I got Finer Moments,.......and last of all ,is "Understanding America" any kind of interesting listen to an old ,jaded Zappa freak like me? I'm wondering.

Oh,also why is the cartoon inside the Mystery Disc "censored" as far as one cartoon character's face being "block out" with a black bar? Anyone know?

I missed seeing that "Lost Episodes" has re-written liners. It confrims my choice to keep the old disc in the slipcase. A handsome package that is similar to the original "Yellow Shark". provided they have the same sources of course.

I looked up Zappa on Amazon.ca. If you punch in "Frank Zappa" under "music" you can sort by release date newest to oldest and it lists everything without including MP3s and all that junk that amazon.com comes up with. Only problem is Canada doesn't seem to be getting "Understanding America" and "Mothermania" since they still are not showing up on the Amazon.ca site. :S

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:11 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:
penguini wrote:
Ummm....

I missed seeing that "Lost Episodes" has re-written liners. It confrims my choice to keep the old disc in the slipcase. A handsome package that is similar to the original "Yellow Shark". provided they have the same sources of course.

I looked up Zappa on Amazon.ca. If you punch in "Frank Zappa" under "music" you can sort by release date newest to oldest and it lists everything without including MP3s and all that junk that amazon.com comes up with. Only problem is Canada doesn't seem to be getting "Understanding America" and "Mothermania" since they still are not showing up on the Amazon.ca site. :S

Thanks for the reply...

Yeah, Gail adds a bit to the liner notes in "Lost Episodes".....but not tons. Just one of the only differences I saw on first peek(just got it today,really).

Is the postage to Canada really prohibitive? It used to be about equal from here (USA) to there....a few years ago,anyway. Mothermania is a pretty cool release with some good differences between versions of songs(esp; Mother People). It may be worth the extra to nab a US copy?

I'll check out that Amazon CA list......not many release lists worth a crap in the US.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:59 am 

penguini wrote:

Is the postage to Canada really prohibitive? It used to be about equal from here (USA) to there....a few years ago,anyway. Mothermania is a pretty cool release with some good differences between versions of songs(esp; Mother People). It may be worth the extra to nab a US copy?

I'll check out that Amazon CA list......not many release lists worth a crap in the US.

Postage isn't terrible and if they don't show up here I'll order from the states. I've been able to get all the re-issues at an local HMV for $10 Canadian, including the multi-disc sets. So I'm hoping they'll show up there. If not, I'll order them in. I'm already way ahead of most suggested retail thanks to the $10 a disc price.

I listened to the reissue of Chungas again. Love the album, but I have to wonder what was going on with "Tell Me You Love Me". compared to the rest of the songs it sounds like it was recorded in a tin can. Just harsh. I presumed this was intentional but it sounds like a mistake. I can't remember if the Ryko sounded this bad. Jsut thought it weird.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:57 pm 

I was just listening to Lather and I noticed something weird. On the inside of the digi-pac it has FZ original running order of the songs on which of the four lp sides. The remastered cds pretty much followed his order until you get to side 5 of the lps. Then the cds song order gets changed from the lps. Also, Baby Snakes is listed on side 6 of the lps but is missing from the cds. Bummer that the cds didn't follow the lps order.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:48 am 

Chunga's Revenge – wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Glorious! By far my favourite album from all the remasters. I don't know what is wrong with your CD. There is nothing wrong with Tell Me You Love Me here. The old CD sounds like a mistake completely (soundwise). There can be no doubt about this.

Th.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:08 am 

Thinman wrote:
Chunga's Revenge – [...] I don't know what is wrong with your CD. There is nothing wrong with Tell Me You Love Me here.

The only two minor issues with Chunga 2012 to my ears are the stereo image narrowing somewhere in Nancy (for about one minute) and the high level of tape hiss evident in some places -- plus the oddly high dBs of the quieter tracks in relation to the 'shouters.'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120  Next