Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Road Tapes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:31 pm 

Mine did finally make it !!!!

Wow, this is such a great release!
All of it is awesome!
I even LOVE 'In the Sky"
It's soooo bad and sooo cheezy. Just perfect!

I hope the ZFT has oodles more of this sort of thing.
It's what we've all really been wanting....eh?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:11 pm 

I'm glad you guys have received and are digging this release now too- it does seem to be a pretty universal hit (including on SQ; impressive considering Joe's reveal about level of work required to achieve such audibility). My anticipatory excitement for this release may of just been nicely boosted again. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:22 pm 

I even enjoy the conceptual continuity of Oh, In the Sky and Luigi and the Wise Guys 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:31 pm 

shipping ahoy ... now that the cd is in your stinky hands, an extra few days delivery time is irrelevant

my shipping of love is ready to attack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:47 pm 

Ive been listening to Road Tapes for a couple of weeks now, it's made me very nostalgic for the Mothers shows and music of that era... I wish I had been there! So turn the loud knob to eleven, close your eyes and you can almost smell the crowd or is that the band?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:00 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:
I even enjoy the conceptual continuity of Oh, In the Sky and Luigi and the Wise Guys 8)

Was that your 1st time hearing "In The Sky"? That was always a highlight from 'The Ark' for me (and I think that's a much better version).

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

Post subject: re: road tapes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:21 pm 

as poly said it's a historical gem, with an excellent tracklist, the band in particularly fine form, very decent sound quality, rescued from a poor quality source, and dirt cheap at $15 for a double album ... can't fucking beat it with a fucking baton

the opening blast of octandre put a huge smile on my face, same with oh in the sky

hungry freaks has been on heavy rotation here, is this the only live recording of hfd ¿ frank's singing is eye-opening, this must be a very tough song to perform live & a tough song to sing sort of off-key correctly, frank gets a bit swanky on the vocals; is he playing lead & rhythm ¿

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:39 pm 

Now, upon entering the 5th week, I feel like I'm living on top of Mount Godwin-Austen, or somethin' -- Worn-out, I'm on the verge of downloading the damn thing from xyz.to ---- Man, I wanna hear it! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:54 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
DC Boogie wrote:

Was that your 1st time hearing "In The Sky"? That was always a highlight from 'The Ark' for me (and I think that's a much better version).

I hate to admit it, but yes -- I've had the original bootleg of The Ark in the basement for a while, and with all the new releases coming, family life and all - I just haven't had the time to give it a spin...

Edit: Strangely, I can't find any reference to In the Sky, Ark version - are you sure it's on there?

Edit 2: Ok, some boots have it, others don't - the LP doesn't. You're lucky 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:22 am 

No "In The Sky" on The Ark. It was on Trick Or Treat, another well known boot from that era. This was recorded at Royal Festival Hall 1968 but FZ didn't include the song on Ahead Of Their Time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:26 am 

polydigm wrote:
Given that this is number one, does that mean that there aren't any earlier complete concert recordings (vault I mean, not bootleg) that are in good enough condition for release? I'm seriously looking forward to more of this type of release, by which I mean the idea not necessarily the date of this first recording, of course.

Joe has mentioned Whiskey A Go Go from earlier in 1968. My guess is that it is a more professional recording so if they release that it will be a Vaulternative, rather than Road Tapes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:47 am 

pbuzby wrote:
No "In The Sky" on The Ark. It was on Trick Or Treat, another well known boot from that era. This was recorded at Royal Festival Hall 1968 but FZ didn't include the song on Ahead Of Their Time.

STOP! You're both right!

LP vs. CD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:05 am 

Love this album. This "Trouble Every Day" always bores me until after the edit, and the jam really gets going. Then I'm like, Oh yeah, this song rocks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:12 am 

Yup, I actually have 2 different CD's of 'The Ark' and one has "In The Sky" while the other doesn't. I believe the same version is on 'Apocrypha' as well.

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:11 am 

When I saw MOI in August 68, they performed Hungry Freaks Daddy, and what impressed me was that they were able to recreate the vocal effect on "...Daddy" by going "Daddyyyyyyy.." and running their index finger up and down on their adam's apple. Cheesy but effective. Try it out at home! :o

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:47 am 

johnnycat wrote:
When I saw MOI in August 68, they performed Hungry Freaks Daddy, and what impressed me was that they were able to recreate the vocal effect on "...Daddy" by going "Daddyyyyyyy.." and running their index finger up and down on their adam's apple. Cheesy but effective. Try it out at home! :o

I might have to re-listen to the studio version but I'm almost certain that that is what they did in the studio as well. Many other artists have used this technique in later years. Peter Gabriel and Mike Patton come to mind. A buddy of mine used to work it into his skatting when we had vocal breakdowns in tunes - it was always a real eye-opener live!

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:58 am 

It sounds very strange to my ears hearing the double speed "la la la la la la la la la la la" from Holiday in Berlin.

What the fuck are you talking about NoisyDrum?

I can only describe it as the last section that Roy sings before being booed by the Orchestra on Ahead of Their Time and the last few notes from the BWS Full Blown version before the snare roll into the guitar solo section.

I like to hear how artist's musical pieces develop and particularly in the case of FZ 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:17 am 

Got it.
Yah, it's been yesterday, only had the time to listen to disc #1 -- Raw and Visceral - Love the Proto-Hardcore / No-Wave aroma of it. Parts are sounding like Arto Lindsay grunting with DNA ca. 1980. Or was it the Red Crayola that it made me think of? Nevertheless -- easily top 3 ZFT archive release material --

Joe, I didn't know you were such an evil m#therf@cker! This is excellent stuff -- THANK YOU and a big hug, man!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:44 pm 

johnnycat wrote:
The irony of this is that the actual vocal effect came first. Then later, as the electronic age develops, someone finds a way to emulate that in the studio. I'm pretty sure that on the Freak Out! album they are doing that with their voices and just a little bit of studio reverb or electronic tremelo or something is emphasising it.

Last edited by polydigm on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:31 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Yup, I actually have 2 different CD's of 'The Ark' and one has "In The Sky" while the other doesn't. I believe the same version is on 'Apocrypha' as well.

Yeah, I got the vinyl on Bizarre in the early 80's and the BTB, but no IT'S. That thing is hypnotic in its sleazoid grandeur 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:47 pm 

Sounds to me like FZ was having a dig at Ray Collins and his acid burnout with Oh In The Sky. Hasn't anyone else noticed the chord progression is almost exactly the same as for Love Of My Life?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:16 am 

polydigm wrote:
Sounds to me like FZ was having a dig at Ray Collins and his acid burnout with Oh In The Sky. Hasn't anyone else noticed the chord progression is almost exactly the same as for Love Of My Life?

Those backgrounds will work for, oh, I think it's a total of FIFTEEN THOUSAND different rock and roll songs that you can all sing at parties

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:12 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Those backgrounds will work for, oh, I think it's a total of FIFTEEN THOUSAND different rock and roll songs that you can all sing at parties

Ha! A classic FZ interview clip! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:45 pm 

I picked up my copy at the ZPZ show here in St Louis on Wednesday. I freaking love it.

Its a great early Mothers complement to AOTT and YCDTOSA 5. I can't get enough of the 'mostly instrumental' era of the band. The "Let's Make the Water/Harry/Lumpy/Oh No/Orange County" medley simply never gets old. And the horn parts on Sleeping in a Jar might be some of the most infectuous bits of music I've ever heard.

And In the Sky, the Varese bits, and the live Hungry Freaks make this one a real treasure for the 60s MOI fan.

Can't wait for volume 2, but can't see it being as tasty as this one....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:04 pm 

Is that it? FZ didn't use it to write a million songs. I still think it was a dig at Ray Collins. That was just after he quit the group. Whatever anybody says about WOIIFTM how many of you have ever tried to imagine what it would have sounded like with Ray Collins on lead vocals because that is what FZ had planned before Ray Collins did the Sid Barrett. I wouldn't mind betting that FZ was pretty pissed off at the time.

Last edited by polydigm on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next