Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:14 am 

If you knew she was a country fan beforehand, you could've lent her Waka/Jawaka, might've been easier on her.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:09 am 

When Barry Miles's stupid book came out, The Wire magazine, reviewing it, offered a few reasons why Zappa's music "communicates absolutely nothing to subsequent generations". And they were:

Too many then-topical jokes
Too much "parody of" Bitches-Brew-type jazz
Those "awful" electric violins
Too much of his own non-voice (despite the presence of more-talented singers in the band)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:14 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
I recall doing a double-take when I heard someone say this many years ago: "He looks like he smells."
Okay, this qualifies as strange. That person is fucked in the head.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:48 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
"His music sounds like it's from Wile E. Coyote & Road Runner cartoons." ~ 2010, some jerk-off on another message board

"His classical music is unlistenable." ~ 2010, similar jerk-off on another message board

"Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting." ~ 2010, another similar jerk-off on another message board

Aww, come on, those guys at Metalsludge love you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:42 pm 

"Really bad jazz." - some moronic prog rock reviewer. Don't get me wrong, I love prog, but that guy fits the stereotypical prog fan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:15 pm 

zomby'sprog wrote:
"Really bad jazz." - some moronic prog rock reviewer. Don't get me wrong, I love prog, but that guy fits the stereotypical prog fan.

I Am a stereotypical prog rock fans (besides Frank's entire bulk of music) my favorite bands are King Crimson, Rush, and Yes. Fuck that dude.

He must be one of those "Magma and Gentle Giant" fans :roll: (seriously, I like Gentle Giant as well).

There are prog fans, and then there are "elite prog fans" who see Porcupine Tree as the second coming of Robert Fripp.

But on topic:
"I don't like "funny music." I don't get groups like Zappa and Tenacious D."
"Oh, so you don't like funny movies or tv? A funny book now and then? Where is the law stating that music has to be about everything that isn't funny?"
"Oh....you have a point."

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:37 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
I recall doing a double-take when I heard someone say this many years ago:

"He looks like he smells."

Frank is not dead, he just smells funny :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:17 am 

schvanzbass wrote:
zomby'sprog wrote:

I Am a stereotypical prog rock fans (besides Frank's entire bulk of music) my favorite bands are King Crimson, Rush, and Yes. Fuck that dude.

He must be one of those "Magma and Gentle Giant" fans :roll: (seriously, I like Gentle Giant as well).

There are prog fans, and then there are "elite prog fans" who see Porcupine Tree as the second coming of Robert Fripp.

But on topic:
"I don't like "funny music." I don't get groups like Zappa and Tenacious D."
"Oh, so you don't like funny movies or tv? A funny book now and then? Where is the law stating that music has to be about everything that isn't funny?"
"Oh....you have a point."

Yeah, me too. He actually hates Magma and Gentle Giant, but I enjoy both. He thinks that Genesis, Yes, and King Crimson are the only worthwhile prog bands and hates everything else. I'm hardly an elite prog fan, as I never got the how Porcupine Tree thing ... give me Anglagard anyday.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:29 am 

BBP wrote:
If you knew she was a country fan beforehand, you could've lent her Waka/Jawaka, might've been easier on her.

Once, a Zappa-freak buddy of mine and I listened to "Big Swifty" at my graduation party. Just had it cranked. His girlfriend, a country fan and my prog-hating / Zappa-despising ex's younger sister (small world), walked in and said he was "Puking notes". We had a hearty laugh at her ignorance. Thankfully, the relationship didn't last long. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:04 am 

If I'd had the presence of mind to carry a notepad around with me and jot down quotes from my friends I could probably write a small book of silly reasons for not liking Zappa.
Examples:
"This song is just annoying, it sounds like it was written AND performed by children." - my stupid friend on "Bow-Tie Daddy" and "Harry, You're a Beast"
"Sometimes, the vocals just go too far. I'd much rather hear the instrumental." - my less stupid friend on "Florentine Pogen" from The Dub Room Special! DVD
"I don't like it when a different band member sings, it confuses me." - another less stupid friend on "Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?"

I'm always surprised these friends of mine don't like most Zappa, given they listen to rather experimental artists themselves. But then again, it is mostly "indie"-type stuff, so I guess the "new-wave" just refuses to vibe with the "old-school" yet again... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:22 am 

I dig Porcupine Tree, but I've pretty much burned myself out on them. They have some great works for sure though. It just gets really....moody. As far as newer prog goes I'll take Coheed & Cambria, Mars Volta, and Beardfish.

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:52 pm 

"I don't understand how you can listen to this kind of music on a regular basis." - My Friend after I had talked him into watching (1987) Uncle Meat. :roll: I'll admit, that film really is special. :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:28 am 

"Fast, hard jazz rock, busily working its way up its own asshole" NME on SATLTSADW (from memory).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:46 pm 

Not getting free downloads... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:29 pm 

Plook wrote:
Not getting free downloads...

Wrong Zappa, now put out that smoke!

On topic: He ate shit onstage, I still find people who ask if that's true. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:48 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:
Not getting free downloads...

Wrong Zappa, now put out that smoke!

On topic: He ate shit onstage, I still find people who ask if that's true. :roll:

Hey that goo has dripped over into FZ land, they won't buy nut'in anymore... :smoke: