Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:34 pm 

"Ray Collins, singer of the Mothers Of Invention Frank Zappa, is hospitalized at the hospital in Pomona for a heart attack. We have no information, but seems to have remained for 10 minutes in a State of cardiac arrest, and is still in a State of unconsciousness. To refer to the news page of Patrice Zappa-Porter, which is awaiting news from his brother Ray, who assists in the hospital. "

Just saw this. Hope he gets well again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:29 pm 

Oh shit!

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:38 pm 

Heard it from the 'teers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:14 pm 

Yeah, we particularly don't want Ray to die on Frank's birthday. Get well Ray!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:48 am 

Sending my thoughts and prayers for a recovery...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:54 am 

Goodness! Get well soon, Ray! <3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:45 am 

:cry:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:53 am 

I've been looking for info since I first heard about this on Wed. Here's all I found so far: (If anyone else finds anything please post here)

RAY COLLINS was a co-founder with Frank Zappa of the band the Mothers of Invention and, long retired, is a sort of unofficial greeter in the Claremont Village, where he's one of the downtown characters.

He's been in the hospital since Tuesday. He called the Auto Club because his van wouldn't start, but when a mechanic arrived, he found Collins unresponsive in the front seat and called 911.

Paramedics said Collins was in full cardiac arrest, but they managed to restore his heartbeat en route to Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center.

Niece Lyndie Collins said Thursday that her uncle is in a medically induced coma and that a Ray Collins Fan Page has been established on Facebook.

So, spare a kind thought for Ray Collins. Remember, he's a Mother.

Link: http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_2223423 ... -out-staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:08 pm 

My thoughts are with ya Ray,get healthy real soon.We don't want to lose another Mother at Zappandan.Peace be with you RC.
Thanx for the link LenCat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:57 pm 

Ray's FB pg. Someone is updating it but no new news

https://www.facebook.com/raycollinsfanpage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:52 pm 

A medically induced coma is most often used in the case of a brain injury. If he was in cardiac arrest for ten minutes, he almost certainly suffered some brain damage. He may also have had a stroke.

In any case, it doesn't sound good...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:31 pm 

Get better soon, Ray...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:27 am 

Oh my! I hope it won't be fatal for him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:45 am 

Sad details:

SOME SAD NEWS ON RAY COLLINS
12/21/12
posted by RICHARD BARNES on FB
and reposted with his permission

By Richard Barnes
Ray Collins Update!

Sarah Barnes and I just returned from visiting Ray in the CICU at Pomona Valley Hospital. This morning Pat Brayer found Ray unresponsive and slumped over in his van. Pat opened the door to see if he was ok, found him warm to the touch, and immediately called 911. The Paramedics arrived and found him in a state of ventricular fibrillation, and administered 2 shocks to try to get his heart going and began chest compressions.
In the ER they shocked him 5 more times and sent him to the CICU to get cooled down. They have cooled his body down to around 32 degrees Celsius to prevent brain and tissue damage. They have to keep him asleep during this process, and he is also on pain meds. They are monitoring his blood every couple hours to make sure all of his numbers are balanced. He has about 10 different solutions of electrolytes and hydration going into his IV.
When we arrived at the hospital we spoke with the officer at the entrance, Jim, whom upon hearing Ray Collins name said " we went to Pomona High together!" and also that he knew Rays dad who was a pomona PD also. Jim let us know that they had Ray listed as a 104 year old.
The nurse, Hester, that is taking care of Ray tonight is one of those people who returns your faith in humanity. There she was alone with Ray, speaking sweetly to him as she worked hard on all of his equipment. He is her only patient tonight and she is a complete bad ass! She made sure that they changed his birthdate and paperwork to reflect his true age 75.
Hester informed us that he can still hear in the state that he is in, and I noticed his eyes trying to open as Sarah touched his arm and spoke to him.
We told him of all of your support and love, and I know he is in many of our prayers. Hester the nurse also said that it was impossible to know how much brain damage there might be if any at all, when and if he pulls through this.
I have a strong gut feeling that he will pull through it.
They will start to warm him up tomorrow night at 8:15 and she said it can take up to twelve hours for him to come back up to a more normal temperature, so Thursday morning would be the most likely time he may return from his dream state. I am so grateful to my awesome sister for calling me and taking me to see him. I could tell that it made a difference for him and also the staff seeing that people care about him and letting them all know that he is an extraordinary person and artist made a difference to some of them I could tell. Also the fact that he is not a drug user or alcoholic makes a big difference to them.
I know that Hester would give him the best care no matter who he was because she shines with the light of love and compassion and is amazing.
Sorry for the dissertation but I think it is easier for me to just say All that I know rather than answering tons of individual questions.

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:48 pm 

El Bummo man,thanx for posting this PIB,I read it on FB late last night.It looks like we wait until tomorrow. If they are starting to warm him up at 8:15 tonight it will be tomorrow sometime before we know anything.Man I hope he didn't suffer any brain damage.This is totally fucked man,at least he made it through Zappadan.....sorta. :(

Get well soon Ray.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:10 pm 

Read it again, Kiirk. They started warming him up Wednesday night.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:04 pm 

Pope Jim wrote:
Read it again, Kiirk. They started warming him up Wednesday night.

Thanks PJ,at this time of year I become delightfully confused sometimes.I just re-read his FB page and it sounded like he had the heart attack on Wednesday and events are in line with what I posted.I thought they were going to warm him back up yesterday,(last night) and by now we should have had some word.
It looks like Shay Collins is posting whats happening on Ray's FB page.Nothing new so far.....bummer man. :(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:46 am 

FB reports that they have unhooked Ray from life support and now it's just a matter of time. Too sad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:18 pm 

Bobby wrote:
FB reports that they have unhooked Ray from life support and now it's just a matter of time. Too sad.

What a fuckin' bummer man.Go in peace Ray Collins and thanks for the music,those surfing songs you wrote with FZ still crack me up in a good way.The Ned and Nelda records.Surf,surf,surf! Now surf some more.....( and thanks jpd for turning me on to all the Paul Buff catalog stuff)

Thanx Bobby,for the info.

Thanx Ray Collins,peace be with you. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:53 pm 

Bobby wrote:

Oh Fuck!
Another Mother will die. Makes those still remaining that much more of a link to that special era of group musicianship.

Now Playing "Stuff Up The Cracks"

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:01 pm 

Somehow, all my favourite songs from CWRATJ are Ray's (Anything) or co-composed by him... May God be with you, and may you be with Him...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:53 pm 

Poor Ray, I hope he's not in too much pain... My thoughts are with you buddy!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:05 am 

The Prune :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:57 am 

Dear Dweezil, please forget the lawsuit from the 80's and
play a big show with the remaining mothers before it's too late!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:31 am 

Heck - just acknowledge that they once existed and did add a little to the image to the Mothers - especially Ray Collins - he was close to Frank before Mothers - he got him an invite into joining the Soul Giants and he has been virtually invisable in the entire Grandmothers/post Zappa controversy.

Been listening to the 80ish remastered Ruben and if you put aside the "new" (after over 25 years is it still new?) bass, drums and reverb - it is a great lp - love the vocals between Ray, Roy and Frank.