Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:01 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
buffalo_voice wrote:
I wonder what's on the discs themseves, I mean in terms of visuals/graphics & fonts stuff -- Hope it's not the front cover sh#t replicated? :| :)
And, above all, is the spine artwork any sexy? :wink:

Too much moustache and I wish they hadn't stuck those nasty little numbers on the spine. SUNPYG has three of 'em! Other than that, I'm really looking forward to Finer Moments.

heh, I love that the numbers are on the spine. Gives the CDs a certain uniformity.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:24 pm 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
My biggest surprise was finding YCDTOSA 4 one day in summer 1991. With more than a year going by since the previous volume I wondered if it would ever appear.

Well, in fact 1990 was a rare year (after 1977 and 1980) without any new FZ release. Thus Stage 4 was as likely to appear as anything.

Fuck one of the biggest surprises of my life was when takeing all the new FZ CD's some Vinyl if not found on CD and VOL 4 popped up they bought on Cass which seem like a life time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:38 pm 

Received my copy a few days ago, but have only listened to it once thus far. Still, from that listen, it's clear to me that I find it an impressive album (and, extrapolating, anticipate that this will likely only develop further with more listens).

I was pleasantly surprised at how fresh I found it, also, even despite any 'repeat' material it contained (for myself, this was compounded by the fact I have yet to acquire and listen to the likes of The Lost Episodes and The Ark, however, even the lengthy number that was compiled of material from Carnegie Hall- that I had expected to be the same as released on the CH set- felt validly unique in it's compilation and expression- likely for the reasoning broken down by dlokazip a page or so ago, and, that I'd naturally suspected anyway after listening, i.e. because it was a spread of performance material from those shows edited together-, even despite the fact I only listened to that set again maybe a week ago/several days prior to my first listen to FM; it seemed very organically achieved too). I'm very much looking forward to getting to know this one better. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:12 pm 

BloodSugar00 wrote:
Received my copy a few days ago, but have only listened to it once thus far. Still, from that listen, it's clear to me that I find it an impressive album (and, extrapolating, anticipate that this will likely only develop further with more listens).

I was pleasantly surprised at how fresh I found it, also, even despite any 'repeat' material it contained (for myself, this was compounded by the fact I have yet to acquire and listen to the likes of The Lost Episodes and The Ark, however, even the lengthy number that was compiled of material from Carnegie Hall- that I had expected to be the same as released on the CH set- felt validly unique in it's compilation and expression- likely for the reasoning broken down by dlokazip a page or so ago, and, that I'd naturally suspected anyway after listening, i.e. because it was a spread of performance material from those shows edited together-, even despite the fact I only listened to that set again maybe a week ago/several days prior to my first listen to FM; it seemed very organically achieved too). I'm very much looking forward to getting to know this one better. 8)

You type like you wonna be flavor of the month Dickweed :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:29 pm 

cleon wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:

Beats being the every day dickweed, wouldn't you say?
Or are you worried someone will take your place?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:44 pm 

BillyDaMt wrote:
cleon wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:
Received my copy a few days ago ...
Beats being the every day dickweed, wouldn't you say? Or are you worried someone will take your place?
He's just talking like someone who can speak English. It's just conversational, no big deal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:53 pm 

This is a monster release, unexpected at this point. I'm totally wrapped.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:59 am 

polydigm wrote:
This is a monster release, unexpected at this point. I'm totally wrapped.

A gift wrapped Polydigm for Christmas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:11 am 

ursinator wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
ursinator wrote:
Can u tell about overlaps with other releases? Big squeeze, Mozart piano sonata, ... ???

As far as I know now:

Mozart Sonata - shorter edit on YCDTOSA 5
You Never Know Who Your Friends Are - may be a longer edit of "Harmonica Fun" from Mystery Disc
Uncle Rhebus - alternate edit of "King Kong" from The Ark
The Big Squeeze - same as Lost Episodes
There Is No Heaven... - alternate edit of "You Call That Music?" from YCDTOSA 4
Skweezit - same as Mystery Disc
The Subcutaneous Peril - alternate edit of material from Carnegie Hall

Thnx. I have guessed something like that. Once again an album wasn't realized but FZ hadn't forgotten all the years which pieces were worth to release.
Thinman wrote:
... Frank already made a good selection (he was good at that)....

IMHO it was a main stay of his art to know exactly which recordings should make it onto an album. That's the very simple reason why none of the "official bootlegs" like Buffalo or even Wazoo can stand any comparison to the original albums. We have to accept that there is no one left on earth who could treat the contents of the vault properly. Every release not choosen by FZ will remain controversial and include elements of disappointment. I welcome these releases anyway. The more, the better. Every fan should be free to decide if these additional "colours" are allowed to affect his "image" of FZs body of work.

Thanks Ursinator, I knew I knew that King Kong (Uncle Rhebus) - it is from the Ark - That one is up there with me, but the Carnegie Hall (so Subcutaneous Peril) is my fave, so I have alternate edits or mixes of both twice. Very good!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:11 am 

To give a bit more detail now that I've heard the CD, "Uncle Rhebus" is a combination of material from "King Kong" (The Ark/BTB1) with two tracks later released on YCDTOSA 5 "Baked Bean Boogie" and "Piano/Drum Duet." At the end there is applause and a brief comment from FZ to the engineer "Steve" edited out of previous releases.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:50 am 

pbuzby wrote:
To give a bit more detail now that I've heard the CD, "Uncle Rhebus" is a combination of material from "King Kong" (The Ark/BTB1) with two tracks later released on YCDTOSA 5 "Baked Bean Boogie" and "Piano/Drum Duet." At the end there is applause and a brief comment from FZ to the engineer "Steve" edited out of previous releases.

It all sounded familiar, but I was too lazy to do the research.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:38 pm 

:mrgreen:
polydigm wrote:
He's just talking like someone who can speak English. It's just conversational, no big deal.
We;p;l opsseverd you woona Badge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:27 pm 

cleon wrote:
Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
My biggest surprise was finding YCDTOSA 4 one day in summer 1991. With more than a year going by since the previous volume I wondered if it would ever appear.

Well, in fact 1990 was a rare year (after 1977 and 1980) without any new FZ release. Thus Stage 4 was as likely to appear as anything.

Fuck one of the biggest surprises of my life was when takeing all the new FZ CD's some Vinyl if not found on CD and VOL 4 popped up they bought on Cass which seem like a life time.

I think I might have understood this better if it was written in Welsh. And I don't speak Welsh.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:15 pm 

My intent with my previous post was only to express my feeling on the album (after a listen); Cleon, I'm sorry you read into it otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:20 am 

Don't feed the troll, guys.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:26 am 

I did not get my copy yet & i never listened the ark so i guess it will be better for me :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:42 am 

BloodSugar00 wrote:
My intent with my previous post was only to express my feeling on the album (after a listen); Cleon, I'm sorry you read into it otherwise.

I'm sorry too just was making a joke Finer Moments(Flavour of the Month) i just thought they over lapped each other as a meanig nothing towards youself you seem fine too me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:42 am 

BloodSugar00 wrote:

I'm sorry too just was making a joke Finer Moments(Flavour of the Month) i just thought they over lapped each other as a meaning nothing towards yourself you seem fine too me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:03 pm 

cleon wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:

I'm sorry too just was making a joke Finer Moments(Flavour of the Month) i just thought they over lapped each other as a meaning nothing towards yourself you seem fine too me.

No problem. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:55 am 

OMG :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:05 pm 

I LOVE Enigma pts 1 - 5 (VIVA Arthur Dyer Tripp, III).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:09 pm 

some great FZ solos on this thing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:41 pm 

I can't stop playing this album and that's not happened for a long, long time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:02 pm 

polydigm wrote:
BillyDaMt wrote:
cleon wrote:
Beats being the every day dickweed, wouldn't you say? Or are you worried someone will take your place?

Oh, I know. Cleon plays like everything is one big joke, usually the jokes aren't in the area code of funny though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:27 am 

Thinman wrote:
ChrisPaul wrote:
Wow, a Zappa CD I can actually order on the internet at a reasonable price without it having to come from the US. For the first time in ... ever!

I don't know where you have been all the time and where you live, but the last time I had to order something from the US or from Barfko Swill was more than 10 years ago.

Th.

I'm in the UK which as far as I know gives me g and s (too expensive, no online ordering) or barfco (US site, possibility of paying import tax). Unless I'm missing something?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next