Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:37 pm 

UMe "Guitar" [ZR-3876] : Insert shows Track 4 of CD 1 to be titled 'Do Not Pass'.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:48 pm 

liv3evil wrote:
Does Humor Belong in Music? specifies the following track order/index on the tray/in the insert:

01. Zoot Allures
02. Tinsel Town Rebellion
03. Trouble Every Day
04. Penguin in Bondage
05. Hot Plate Heaven at the Green Hotel
06. What's New in Baltimore?
07. Whipping Post
08. Cock-Suckers' Ball
09. WPLJ
10. Let's Move to Cleveland

In actuality, the UMe is as follows (same as the '95 Ryko):

01. Zoot Allures
03. Trouble Every Day
04. Penguin in Bondage
07. Cock-Suckers' Ball
08. WPLJ
09. Let's Move to Cleveland
10. Whipping Post

This is a pretty big mistake!

Other differences: the Ryko utilizes hyphens (for Hot-Plate and Tinsel-Town), 'Whipping Post' vs. 'Whippin' Post', and also doesn't utilize a question mark in the LP titleDoes Humor Belong in Music? specifies the following track order/index on the tray/in the insert:

01. Zoot Allures
03. Trouble Every Day
04. Penguin in Bondage
07. Whipping Post
08. Cock-Suckers' Ball
09. WPLJ
10. Let's Move to Cleveland

In actuality, the UMe is as follows (same as the '95 Ryko):

01. Zoot Allures
03. Trouble Every Day
04. Penguin in Bondage
07. Cock-Suckers' Ball
08. WPLJ
09. Let's Move to Cleveland
10. Whipping Post

This is a pretty big mistake!

Other differences: the Ryko utilizes hyphens (for Hot-Plate and Tinsel-Town), 'Whipping Post' vs. 'Whippin' Post', and also doesn't utilize a question mark in the LP title.

wow, that's pretty bad.
let's hope somebody from the ZFT or UMe is keeping up with this thread and making proper corrections!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:55 pm 

i posted this in Re: Frank Zappa 2012 Reissues but this thread seems more appropriate.

-FATHER O'BLIVION is missing the apostrophe (now making it FATHER OBLIVION) two times in the packaging. in gz's 'note' the (') is included.
-the Ryko version of Apostrophe (') had the lyrics printed, the new version does not.
-REVISED MUSIC FOR GUITAR & LOW-BUDGET ORCHESTRA is, like Lather, missing the hypen.
-the song titles of Sheik Yerbouti aren't listed on the back (unlike the Ryko version)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:51 pm 

the new Does Humor Belong in Music? cover eliminated that silver, jizz-looking splash on the bottom left corner. also the name FRANK ZAPPA looks to be a little smaller on the 2012 re-issue.
see for yourself (old on left/2012 on right):

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:17 pm 

Can someone explain why they went back to the original mix for DHBIM? and Them Or Us, but not the original mix for Man From Utopia? I would really like to hear Vaultmeister's take on this.
Makes no sense with MFU, since the vinyl mix has the original live tracks w/ Barrow/Colaiuta which are better. I don't mind the CD remix w/ the Wackerman/Thunes overdubs, but the low end is just way over the top.
The '95 Schenkel artwork for DHBIM is far superior too, and also Best Band... which it seems that they went back to the black non-photo cover.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:42 pm 

the 2012 DHBiM is the 1995 remix with the distorted static-y left channel on Hot-Plate and Penguin.

the black Best Band You Never Heard cover is pretty bad. what's the REAL story about the photo on the original pressing anyway? was the photographer's fee that outrageous that he wasn't just paid off? or another photo from the '88 tour couldn't have been used?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:32 pm 

myourself wrote:
the 2012 DHBiM is the 1995 remix with the distorted static-y left channel on Hot-Plate and Penguin.

the black Best Band You Never Heard cover is pretty bad. what's the REAL story about the photo on the original pressing anyway? was the photographer's fee that outrageous that he wasn't just paid off? or another photo from the '88 tour couldn't have been used?

Schenkels's artwork for DHBIM and Best Band is fantastic. The original cover for DHBIM is quite bland, and the blank/black cover for Best Band is crap. Why they wouldn't go with the better cover art for 2012 is beyond me.

DHBIM '95 is nice with the expanded music and Cal artwork, but that clipping in the left channel on Hot Plate & Penguin is quite shitty. Glad I found an EMI CD of this years ago used on half.com pretty cheap.
I actually have the real "band photo" BP CD of Best Band, bought from Barfko Swill circa '99 at a decent price. I had the blank/black cover one first, but sold it to a used shop after. Nowadays Barfko Swill charges ridiculous amounts for original BP CDs/LPs that no one in their right mind would pay for.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:48 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
myourself wrote:

Schenkels's artwork for DHBIM and Best Band is fantastic. The original cover for DHBIM is quite bland, and the blank/black cover for Best Band is crap. Why they wouldn't go with the better cover art for 2012 is beyond me.

DHBIM '95 is nice with the expanded music and Cal artwork, but that clipping in the left channel on Hot Plate & Penguin is quite shitty. Glad I found an EMI CD of this years ago used on half.com pretty cheap.
I actually have the real "band photo" BP CD of Best Band, bought from Barfko Swill circa '99 at a decent price. I had the blank/black cover one first, but sold it to a used shop after. Nowadays Barfko Swill charges ridiculous amounts for original BP CDs/LPs that no one in their right mind would pay for.

I never thought the expanded music on Humor was worth it. An extra minute of drumming and electronic percussion in "Let's Move To Cleveland". Nothing to write home about. I prefer the clarity of the EMI disc.

I never upgraded from the blank cover of Best Band.

Even so, I think that they should have kept Cal's covers for both. On Humor to avoid confusion on the mix. On Best Band just because it is a better cover.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:25 pm 

For a moment I thought about replacing my '95 DHBIM CD, because it is defective and skips during Cleveland. I just listened to it after many years and decided I don't need the '95 mix. Zappa was obviously trying to squeeze the live recording of a real band into his Synclavier sound-aesthetics. Unlistenable for me these days. I prefer the old mix any day.

Th.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:31 am 

myourself wrote:
the new Does Humor Belong in Music? cover eliminated that silver, jizz-looking splash on the bottom left corner. also the name FRANK ZAPPA looks to be a little smaller on the 2012 re-issue.
see for yourself (old on left/2012 on right):

I always thought that it looked like mercury, but to each his own. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:57 am 

Found this information on G&S Music's site:

Baby Snakes

2011 transfer by Joe Travers of the 1988 Bob Stone digital master.
For some reason Roy Estrada is no longer credited.

-- Gail's really into that historical revisionism!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:48 am 

My copy of Over-Nite Sensation didn't come with a booklet, just the dinky little insert. Has this happened to anyone else?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:20 am 

tiboudre wrote:
My copy of Over-Nite Sensation didn't come with a booklet, just the dinky little insert. Has this happened to anyone else?

not me. return it if you can. as you probably know now or you wouldn't be asking this qustion, it's supposed to come with an 8 pannelled fold-out with the album cover on one side and lyrics on the other.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:34 am 

myourself wrote:
tiboudre wrote:

not me. return it if you can. as you probably know now or you wouldn't be asking this qustion, it's supposed to come with an 8 pannelled fold-out with the album cover on one side and lyrics on the other.

Actually, mine came with both the dinky insert (with the FZ moustache logo on the back) and the fold-out.

I'd return it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:35 am 

That mistake on DHBIM? is really bad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:48 pm 

The interior of the booklet of Make a Jazz Noise Here still lists "T'Mershi Duweeen."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:04 pm 

Have I Offended Someone still has the pages of the essay in the wrong order.