Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:24 am 

You can get Finer Moments from Amazon UK or USA. But there are still certain items you can only get through Barfko, depending on where you are in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:34 am 

polydigm wrote:
You can get Finer Moments from Amazon UK or USA. But there are still certain items you can only get through Barfko, depending on where you are in the world.

Yeah, and I got it as a Christmas present! The reality is I buy a couple of CDs per month from the likes of Amazon, and if the ZFT had arranged for all the releases to be available through normal channels I'd own the lot by now instead of having about a dozen gaps in my collection.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:46 pm 

I'm in the same boat really.
I refuse to pay large p&p costs, and I won't pay £45 for the likes of CH, when I can get 'more' from elsewhere. I have proven to myself a long time ago that although I would like everything that FZ did, I don't actually need it.
I do have all bar two of the pre-posthumous releases and most of the posthumous stuff, plus BTB 1&2, plus loads of books etc, plus some shitty bootleg stuff.
As a comparison the next Miles 'bootleg' comes out next month. From memory its 3 cds and a dvd, for around £27, and I can get it from Amazon.
I don't need some Trendmonger type telling me that FZ's stuff is 'artisan' and so is inherently worth twice what any other album is worth.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:12 pm 

Accessed my P O Box on the way to work this morning, Mothermania, Lather and not only but also Finer Moments, the later about to hit the computer today with the bullet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:40 pm 

I got my cd since a couple of days i listened it 3 times not really concentrate but i listened very carefuly Enigmas 1 Thru 5 & its fantastic.
Pumped and Waxed is incredibale we can see how Frank was a head of his time ,how the hell he did that in 1972 it sound like a computer in year 2050 lol.
I,ll post more impressions later. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:52 pm 

polydigm wrote:
This is a monster release, unexpected at this point. I'm totally wrapped.

yes Sleazette as an album starter punch you in the face.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:58 pm 

I cant believe some people dont know zappa or for the one who know him but dont like his music...in reality they are idiots who dont even understand music language. They only love wipper beat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:43 pm 

SUNDAY STAR TIMES 16-12-2012
Zappa no musical genuis
GRANT SMITHIES
OPINION: You want to say, "Oh, look, please, go away." You want to poke a finger in each ear like a child and chant "La! La! La! La!" to block out the sound. But good manners dictate that a music reviewer is always on duty, and thus fair game for anyone to approach at parties, pubs and burger joints for a conversation about music.
People are forever sidling up to me to proclaim their affections for such insufferable yawn-meisters as Mark Knopfler, Lenny Kravitz or Jack Johnson. I was once waylaid by an earnest stranger who tried to convince me the greatest pop artist who ever lived was former British milkman Sting.
But perhaps the worst offenders are Frank Zappa fans. Zappa died of prostate cancer in 1993, aged 52, and is sorely missed in some quarters. To Zappa fans, dear old Frank was the hot flaming sun around which all other popular music orbited, drawing freely from his warmth.
With a straight face, such fans will assert it was Zappa who taught the young Jimi Hendrix how to use a wah-wah pedal, and Zappa's Freak Out was the album that inspired The Beatles to launch into the unknown with Sgt. Peppers.
These people hate to see their hero slighted in any way. There exists on the internet a "World's Greatest Guitarists" website that had the temerity to rank Zappa at No 77. The comments section is crammed with disgruntled Frank-ophiles, all fuming like a dirty barbecue. "Frank was a real giant compared to all the dwarfs from 1 to 77!" writes one outraged correspondent. "He's a musician that will last throughout the next centuries."
Another writes: "No-one plays like Frank on stage anymore. That's because he is dead, and no-one else is skilled enough to play his music." Brilliant. But this is my favourite: "Frank should be Number One, not only for his guitar playing, but for the fact that he had a better understanding of music than probably anyone on this list. When he wrote music, it was on paper."
Yes, all right, we get it. Some of our more impressionable citizens love Frank Zappa. Each to their own. But listening to his albums 20 years ago, they always struck me as deeply irritating, full of interminable guitar wankery, crappy faux-classical passages and crass sexual satire. Was I missing something?
Time, it seems, to find out. Just last week some sadist at a local record company sent me down a dozen Zappa CDs, the first batch of 60 Zappa albums to be reissued by the end of 2012.
I spent a few days listening to them all, beginning with his 1966 double album debut, Freak Out. And what do you know? It's far better than I'd remembered, offering up a deeply sarcastic pastiche of prevailing 60s pop styles, from teen idol ballads to Byrdsy folk-rock, Motown and early Beatles to acid rock.
Opening track Hungry Freaks, Daddy is an unprecedented pile-up of jazz vibraphone, 60s guitar and gratuitous blasts of kazoo. Who are the Brain Police? is a savage satire of the Beach Boys, in which glorious four-part vocal harmonies are crushed by a Sherman Tank of distorted guitar.
It's a sonically radical record, alive with energy and invention. But then I played the other 11 albums and, apart from a brief glimmer of brilliance with 1969's Hot Rats, every other CD in the pile sucked like a Dyson.
There were half-arsed baroque rock experiments, puerile pop ditties and tiresome spoken word segments. There were entire albums lampooning Stravinsky and 50s doo-wop groups, and multiple unfunny jazz-rock jams about groupies and STDs.
It became clear that Zappa had become more embittered with every new release. Under the guise of provocative social commentary, his songs dripped contempt for virtually everyone: Hippies, conservatives, blacks, gays, Jews, women and, most of all, himself.
After two exhausting days visiting Planet Zappa, I was desperate to leave again. But at least I have clarified my position. The next time a stranger comes up to me in a takeaway bar and proclaims Frank Zappa a genius, I can say, no, my friend, Frank Zappa was a conservative posing as a revolutionary, a snickering teenage boy masquerading as a grown man, a gifted musician happy to squander his talent on cheap smut and fart jokes.
Frank Zappa was irony made flesh: a tireless anti-censorship activist whose songs tested the limits of free speech but, in the end, had nothing worthwhile to say.
Now step aside; I'm waiting for my burger.

Grant can be contacted at: grant.smithies@star-times.co.nz

Oh by the way for the record I don't agree with this article.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:24 pm 

HA HA!
This is funny!

See....THIS is the "classic guy" who "doesn't get Frank."
AND he's a music reviewer!! (hmmm....makes PERFECT sense to me!)

Kind of reminds me of ALL THOSE DUFFUSES years ago that just couldn't get their heads around Miles Davis and "On the Corner" period stuff.
This poor sod is just another robot in THE TWAT PARADE.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:59 am 

to each his own

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:51 am 

God bless the devil eh?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:47 pm 

I could care less if he hates Zappa. What galls me about these smug reviewers is their certainty.

I think Frank described rock reviewers as people who can't write communicating to people who can't read, or something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:09 pm 

"Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read." -- FZ

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:53 am 

I just listened to disc two of FM before work. I like it - some of the tracks are really good (Enigmas, Pumped and Waxed). But again the mastering is too loud in the quiet parts. I'm thinking of "There is no heaven etc." (AKA Do You Call That Music?). This sounds gorgeous here and better than the YCDTOSA version - but why is it so loud compared to the tracks around it? The true power of the piece is that it's quiet and ominous. I have a volume knob, but shouldn't have to use it to adjust incorrect master levels?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:11 am 

I wholeheartedly agree.

Where's the dynamics from song to song?
Poor judgement call in the mastering.

GREAT GREAT release though!! I'm liking it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:36 am 

jeddy wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree.

maybe the master tapes differed dynamically due to lots of factors, the venue sizes, equipment used for the recordings, the different musical equipment etc... There is nothing that mixing or mastering can do about that.

STOP FUCKING WHINING!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:07 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
jeddy wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree.

maybe the master tapes differed dynamically due to lots of factors, the venue sizes, equipment used for the recordings, the different musical equipment etc... There is nothing that mixing or mastering can do about that.

STOP FUCKING WHINING!!

Now THIS is a post to finally START whining. Because I never expected such a shockingly ignorant post from YOU.

Th.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:43 am 

Thinman wrote:
Now THIS is a post to finally START whining. Because I never expected such a shockingly ignorant post from YOU.

Th.

Agreed (to a degree - scaled back a bit on harshness). One of the primary reasons for mastering is to even out the factors that were mentioned. :roll:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:10 pm 

Thinman wrote:

Th.

Now that's something I disagree with. We're talking about JPFunk, after all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:06 pm 

Hey man it's all cool!
You should hear how many times in a day my wife tells me to stop whining...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 pm 

I will say that for the age of the recordings they did a great job in making them
sound as good as they did!
It really gets me hard thinking about all the other amazing stuff that will be released!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:11 pm 

(I just wanted to post this third blurb just so I can see my avatar all in a row)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:13 pm 

O.K. I'm bored.
I'm ready for the next release.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:14 pm 

This thread is dead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:14 pm 

WOW!
Six in a row!
Looks awesome!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next